Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rockstar: hey gang we totally hosed up the economy of our multiplayer. we will fix it!
bethesda: hey, this piece of poo poo cosmetic will be 15% more expensive. gently caress off

edit: fake news

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like vault tech university is the absolute pinnacle of everything this game is. It's this big elaborate set piece with nothing particular to find except more super mutants. It's soaked in "pip boys everywhere", and it kinda has an actually good story (a test vault, kids thinking the real war was just part of the test, everyone wasting the food, then turning on eachother), that you can only read as a comically long set of text entries on a particular computer that is undefended so super mutants will keep spawning and hitting you as you read it and there is never actually a quest there except picking up an overseer audio log that doesn't require you ever go in 90% of the structure, but has nothing to find if you explore.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

marshmallow creep posted:

"The Atomic Shop's prices will also be increased by 15%."

hahahahhaha

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Those two statements aren't compatible. The cash shop is itself garbage and full of garbage items. If the cash shop was the focus it would actually have poo poo people would buy. Like I've said, the things in the cash shop are so bad I don't even want them for free. The fact that most of the items are either "clean" versions of things already in the game or reused assets from Fallout 4 proves the cash shop was an afterthought.

Edit: Hell, if the cash shop was the focus they would have gated content behind it like perk cards and nuke codes

These kinds of games live and die off their microtransactions. The event and daily quests keep people in for the short term, regular content updates keep them in for the long term, and the company makes money off people continually buying microtransactions as they continuously play. That’s the model, and it’s insanely profitable when it works. That, I truly believe, is why this game was made in the first place. Because Bethesda wants a piece of that Games as a Service pie.

My point, the thing I was confused about, was how much the cash shop sucks. Even if they only put effort into one part of the game, it should have been this part, because this is their moneymaker. So yeah, you’re right that it doesn’t make any sense for both of those things to be true. But they are. That’s why I expressed so much bafflement in the parts of my post you didn’t quote.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i don’t care to find the real patch notes those are real enough for me rofl

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Games as a Disservice

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chomp8645 posted:

Games as a Disservice

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Take your time

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Songbearer posted:

When I was playing Fallout 4 VR I was amazed by how much the experience could be improved by turning the music off entirely. I downloaded a mod called Radio Silence that added a completely silent station so I could have ambient/muscial stations on when I wanted them, but having just the audio of the environment without some spooky "You should feel sad/scared" tunes in the background really helped.

This isn't to say I think Fallout has had bad music in the past, that's absolutely not the case, but I wish these games would let the world breathe a little more. If you can say anything about Bethesda games it's that the environments are generally really well done.

It's really loving terrible that when you turn off the radio, the game plays music.

What could possibly be a solution? Oh I dunno, maybe PUT THE MUSIC ON A RADIO STATION!?

Just thinking outside the box here, stop me if this sounds crazy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

revwinnebago posted:

It's really loving terrible that when you turn off the radio, the game plays music.

What could possibly be a solution? Oh I dunno, maybe PUT THE MUSIC ON A RADIO STATION!?

Just thinking outside the box here, stop me if this sounds crazy.

Can't you just mute the music if it's that big a deal? I think it has a separate volume slider (it did in 3/NV).

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

3 and 4 had atmospheric music too, n'est-ce pas?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Here's a link to the mod for anyone interested.

Yeah, you can mute the music if you want from the options, but it's faster and more convenient to just have the option there to toggle through it on the radio itself. If you get tired of the ambient music or want to flick on Diamond City, it's just a click away rather than going back through the menu - and having it as a station means you won't miss any music triggered by events. (Also there's the my immersion argument but that might not hold water unless you tell yourself your character has a problem where he has spooky music stuck in their head, ymmv)

The necessity of the mod would be reduced if there was just a bigger delay between playing ambient songs, by default it just doesn't give you much time to take in the atmosphere before the next mood-setting song starts.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 4, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DurosKlav posted:

Telling in that people will believe anything as long as it reinforces their views?

That capitalists are garbage and would kill themselves on the spot if it made THE BRAND more money.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Have you ever had that cashier that was a little too fast to take your money for poo poo service?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

In NV I think it was based on location, at least partially. Out of Business would loop endlessly at the 188 on evenings (goes great with Nevada Skies starry nights)

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Yardbomb posted:

That capitalists are garbage and would kill themselves on the spot if it made THE BRAND more money.

Yea like I don't blame anyone for believing that cause lol we are beyond parody but just fact check first then give me them hot takes bb

e: for clarity im talkin bout the atom shop price hike fakepost.

BillyC fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 4, 2018

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lol @ everything right now.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Rinkles posted:

Can't you just mute the music if it's that big a deal? I think it has a separate volume slider (it did in 3/NV).

In 3/NV I wasn't so burnt out on hearing (song) for the zillionth time so I had no idea.

The new stations are probably worse anyway, but until the music repeat problem gets fixed it's not a fair shake.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol @ everything right now.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like vault tech university is the absolute pinnacle of everything this game is. It's this big elaborate set piece with nothing particular to find except more super mutants. It's soaked in "pip boys everywhere", and it kinda has an actually good story (a test vault, kids thinking the real war was just part of the test, everyone wasting the food, then turning on eachother), that you can only read as a comically long set of text entries on a particular computer that is undefended so super mutants will keep spawning and hitting you as you read it and there is never actually a quest there except picking up an overseer audio log that doesn't require you ever go in 90% of the structure, but has nothing to find if you explore.

I was going through the Uncanny Caverns last night and it’s the same kind of thing. It’s a cool little dungeon (which this game really doesn’t have enough of) that constantly references these stories about some bat-boy type character called the Night Kid. It had me all set up for some kind of unique boss monster, but there’s no payoff whatsoever. It’s just a big loop with a few mire lurks dotted about.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Chomp8645 posted:

Games as a Disservice

:gritin:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Chomp8645 posted:

Games as a Disservice

Lol

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

revwinnebago posted:

In 3/NV I wasn't so burnt out on hearing (song) for the zillionth time so I had no idea.

The roads are the dustiest
The winds are the gustiest
The gates are the rustiest
The pies are the crustiest
The guns are the zippiest
The boys are the pippiest

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
See the PIP BOY of enormous girth!
On his wrist he holds the earth.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Pip Boy Shine Down
On My Home Town
Fill My Memory
UNEXPECTED ERROR: OUT OF MEMORY (X50301)

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

mormonpartyboat posted:

See the PIP BOY of enormous girth!
On his wrist he holds the earth.

His patches are slow, but always kind.
He holds us all within his canvas bag.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Kinda wish you could bulldoze in 4. Not enough flat empty land to build some settlements.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Good news friend there's a new fallout in town

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm about 72 games behind. I'll get there eventually.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

Kinda wish you could bulldoze in 4. Not enough flat empty land to build some settlements.

Yeah this is annoying

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I did enjoy Fallout 53's Stardew Valley approach where you could raise brahmin and radroaches. The super mutant cats and mandatory Mr Handy dating segment were weird corners to turn though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SardonicTyrant posted:

*Tropico 3 flashback triggered*

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Songbearer posted:

I did enjoy Fallout 53's Stardew Valley approach where you could raise brahmin and radroaches. The super mutant cats and mandatory Mr Handy dating segment were weird corners to turn though.

I would legit buy this game

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

J-Spot posted:

I was going through the Uncanny Caverns last night and it’s the same kind of thing. It’s a cool little dungeon (which this game really doesn’t have enough of) that constantly references these stories about some bat-boy type character called the Night Kid. It had me all set up for some kind of unique boss monster, but there’s no payoff whatsoever. It’s just a big loop with a few mire lurks dotted about.

It's so frustrating because tons of the little stories aren't bad. A ton of the holotapes are neat and the text tells good little stories, but it's the most tiresome stuff to engage with possible, like you come upon some new interesting location then just kinda have to wander around aimlessly for no reason and maybe find 3 holotapes that you will definitely hear out of order and miss one or find the one random terminal that has the whole story written out in 20 separate 3 page emails.

Like none of the stories are bad, and some of them are great, but there is absolutely zero direction or reason to sit down and read them about some place you have no connection to or reason to care about. When the way the stories are presented is so clunky and hard to engage in.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Only reason to read this thread, honestly

Nah, fun is where you find it and I find this fun. It's also a good place to keep tabs on how Bethesda will try to screw consumers in the future.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Servers still down?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Songbearer posted:

Can't believe they removed the ability to date Deathclaws that ran from Fallout 18-50

She would carry you if your limbs got crippled and it was adorable

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Rinkles posted:

Servers still down?

It's been 5 hours lol. What the gently caress could they possibly be doing for a 3GB console lol/40MB PC patch?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

No one made a joke about Fallout 69. I'm disappointed thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's a good thing that Fallout 11 had 2 - 4 player coop and a storyline. I'm not feeling the experimental, survival-esque side project. But it was only 29.99 and no cash shop, so fair attempt.