Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Frog Act posted:

Civ 6 and Beyond Earth were so loving bad. I don’t understand how every single major game company seems to have lost the capacity to make games with depth and mechanics we had already come to expect by like 2000

I played so much Civ4 but could not get into Civ5 at all (though I've heard apparently it's Good Now if you get all the expansion packs or something?)
How terrible are 6 and BE?

All I want from that style of game is Alpha Centauri with modern graphics, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah at this point i wont buy anything from bethesda

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Entropic posted:

now, some players in the civ 6 thread will tell you this isn't the case until they're blue in the face, but the truth is, the AI has an extremely hard time attacking a city with a wall. like it will just park a massive army outside of one city, getting plinked to death because it's mathematically unable to judge a good time to attack it.

this stems from a misspelling that was identified by a goon some time in late 2017 or early on this year. said goon modded the files and fixed the spelling error, and the AI was actually able to fight... well not competently but it was at least able to do something, it could attack your cities and it could gently caress you up!

firaxis acknowledged this problem and said "we saw these posts and we're working to fix this! our bad!"

they released the first expansion pack and nothing changed.

they have put out a patch or two since. the spelling mistake remains

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Entropic posted:

I played so much Civ4 but could not get into Civ5 at all (though I've heard apparently it's Good Now if you get all the expansion packs or something?)

All I want from that style of game is Alpha Centauri with modern graphics, dammit.

Civ 4 is still the peak of 4x design, unfortunately. Civ V and VI feel like cookie clicker in comparison.

Endless space 2 is alright but the AI sucks

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Yeah at this point i wont buy anything from bethesda

Same. The leaking of credit card info and personal information pretty much sealed the deal, let alone the buggy shitpile releases. It's beyond incompetence at this point; they're bad people.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Don't get why Reddit apparently finds the duplication bug a priority issue. (I don't even know how it works, I just ignore exploits)

It's a one-way ticket to the servers always lagging because everyone is doing it

(the core problem is that the underlying game is poor enough that having poo poo in your inventory can somehow lag the game)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Entropic posted:

Civ 5 with all DLC costs about $25 or so. I'd say it's worth it.

I'd love a new version of Alpha Centauri too.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I didn't understand how firaxis could be so lazy with the utterly non-functional mechanics in civ 6 until I observed a couple of other gamers irl playing it.

They basically just sat in their cities endlessly building stuff. Not really making stretegic decisions or thinking about how to win. Just clicking buildings and mashing next turn.

These weren't even casual gamers, they play hours and hours and hours of stuff like red dead redemption

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

now, some players in the civ 6 thread will tell you this isn't the case until they're blue in the face, but the truth is, the AI has an extremely hard time attacking a city with a wall. like it will just park a massive army outside of one city, getting plinked to death because it's mathematically unable to judge a good time to attack it.

this stems from a misspelling that was identified by a goon some time in late 2017 or early on this year. said goon modded the files and fixed the spelling error, and the AI was actually able to fight... well not competently but it was at least able to do something, it could attack your cities and it could gently caress you up!

firaxis acknowledged this problem and said "we saw these posts and we're working to fix this! our bad!"

they released the first expansion pack and nothing changed.

they have put out a patch or two since. the spelling mistake remains

Civilization: Colonial Marines

(Aliens: Colonial Marines had the same problem where a typo hosed up the AI to the point of incompetence.)

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Amethyst posted:

I didn't understand how firaxis could be so lazy with the utterly non-functional mechanics in civ 6 until I observed a couple of other gamers irl playing it.

They basically just sat in their cities endlessly building stuff. Not really making stretegic decisions or thinking about how to win. Just clicking buildings and mashing next turn.

These weren't even casual gamers, they play hours and hours and hours of stuff like red dead redemption

Lol RDR being used as an example of non-casual gamers. If you don't have 1000s of hours into Hearts of Iron I can't even take your opinion seriously.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's a one-way ticket to the servers always lagging because everyone is doing it

(the core problem is that the underlying game is poor enough that having poo poo in your inventory can somehow lag the game)

And I'll add, I have no confidence that Bethesda has the people and competence in place to fix this. Normally Gamebryo problems aren't too big of a deal because it's still a single player game, so you can get a fan patch or not, whatever. Here it's critical. A small number of people can bring down any server.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Amethyst posted:

i mean yknow after a certain point in a civ game, i do love to hunker down and sim city my way up to a science victory.

but this comes after lucky stone age rush gambits and painstaking wars of attrition against stubborn enemies on my starting continent.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Did Todd Howard run over a Romani witch

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

They also massively simplified many of the fundamental mechanics or removed them altogether in 6, though 5 with all the DLC is good enough to have permanently replaced 4 for me

That being said I played Alpha Centauri for the first time ever last month and I just don’t get how no modern developer can match that, even in the context of capitalism’s steady and inexorable ruining of everything

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Was there any other game ever that did the micro-fiction / background lore / quotes from fake books stuff better than SMAC?

I'm pretty sure there's like half a dozen forums posters here that still have quotes from the technology tree screens in their titles and that game came out 20 drat years ago.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

On second thought, gamers deserve this loving game

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

sharknado slashfic posted:

Lol RDR being used as an example of non-casual gamers. If you don't have 1000s of hours into Hearts of Iron I can't even take your opinion seriously.

I meant to distinguish them from competitive gamers. The class of gamer that dumps 1000s of hours into stuff like Assassins Creed or RDR or, it turns out, civ 6 is distinct from casuals who play a couple of hours a week at most.

I find them very difficult to understand.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Frog Act posted:

They also massively simplified many of the fundamental mechanics or removed them altogether in 6, though 5 with all the DLC is good enough to have permanently replaced 4 for me

That being said I played Alpha Centauri for the first time ever last month and I just don’t get how no modern developer can match that, even in the context of capitalism’s steady and inexorable ruining of everything

I read a cool dev interview about SMAC somewhere. It was a lighting in a bottle situation. For example, the writing is distinct from other games because it was done by people who worked other roles on the game. It feels so different from the verbose dross paid professionals fill video games with because the team came together with a shared vision.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Entropic posted:

Civ V is good. I still prefer Civ IV too but Civ 5 GOTY edition is fun except you can completely take advantage of the AI being unable to launch naval invasion and Korea being overpowered as gently caress.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQuTrPIHGsY

Relevant to the thread.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Wouldn't the carry weight and stash limit exploits be more at fault?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I found the interview, if anyone's interested. It's with Brian Reynolds and Soren Johnson (civ IV lead designer) on a podcast. Worth a listen imo

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/the-alpha-centauri-show

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Amethyst posted:

I meant to distinguish them from competitive gamers. The class of gamer that dumps 1000s of hours into stuff like Assassins Creed or RDR or, it turns out, civ 6 is distinct from casuals who play a couple of hours a week at most.

I find them very difficult to understand.

Understandable

That guy called WV "The Midwest"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rinkles posted:

It is all parts of the same big problem.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Frog Act posted:

i don't disagree but capitalism was pretty late-stage and equally happy to sell reams of low quality or poisonous or whatever products to people, and games were seemingly better then, but I guess its really about the videogame market maturing and turning to poo poo like any profitable industry that produces commodities that require even an iota of creative energy.

I think you're mostly right about it having always been late-stage capitalism, but I think you're reading too much into the future implications of a lot of big names deciding to poo poo the bed at this particular moment in time

I mean if it is like those other creative industries (and it probably is) then you'd expect to see cyclical changes in quality over time as great work occasionally happens and then is copied/iterated upon/exploitatively monetized/mismanaged by lesser talents until its tired and dead, and the past will generally appear better than it actually was due to only selectively remembering the highlights (stuff you really enjoyed and a few notorious failures) rather than the mediocre "90% crap"

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Rinkles posted:

From what I've seen, the weight doesn't matter as much as how many different items there are.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

:siren: Power armor edition havers :siren:

If you put in a ticket to have your crummy bag replaced, all your info have been leaked to the internet. No joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdBNv5wFKk0

There should be plenty of reddits and youtubes about it already.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

sharknado slashfic posted:

Understandable

That guy called WV "The Midwest"

I think you may find that this review is not entirely serious. It may even be satire. (That said I may be inclined to agree with certain comments made inre: the setting of New Vegas.)

Edit: also it does border Ohio and the more Midwest-y bits of Kentucky so if you squint really hard it kinda almost might be Midwestern, despite FO76 clearly having numerous mountain-like features.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 6, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Good news, the community manager, 10 minutes ago, "just let the team know that the [carry weight bug] workaround is only temporary"

(I think he was just trying to be polite, not that they actually weren't aware of that till now. I mean, you'd think).

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

rickiep00h posted:

I think you may find that this review is not entirely serious. It may even be satire. (That said I may be inclined to agree with certain comments made inre: the setting of New Vegas.)

Edit: also it does border Ohio and the more Midwest-y bits of Kentucky so if you squint really hard it kinda almost might be Midwestern, despite FO76 clearly having numerous mountain-like features.

Don't interrupt me when I'm being pedantic :colbert:

It's called Appalachia you fools you absolute morons

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
SackLeakGate 2018.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I don't care.

I don't. I am probably not the key demographic of this subreddit which is likely gamers aged 16-25 with loads of free time. There are people in this sub with hundreds of hours into this game. I think I just got the 76 hour achievement the last night, and I have played since BETA.

I am nearly 40. I have a wife and kids, I have a full time job. I play a couple hours here and there during the week.

I do not play for 8-12 hours a day every day.

So I am a filthy casual. I get it.

And that is key to my perspective of why I don't care. I just turn on my Xbox and I play. I do whatever quests I had on from the last time I played. I dink around in my CAMP. I go on some loot runs here and there. I fiddle around. I am like level 38 or something. I never run into significant bugs, I rarely get booted from the game or freeze. The only time the game made me rage was a week ago I was killed while over-encumbered and got the dreaded respawn bug. I have a friend who plays that also is nearly 40, has a wife and kids and we sometimes can play together on a Saturday or Sunday night. if we are lucky.

So when I read things like workshops were slowed down and produce ore not scrap (I mean, makes sense right? why you taking scrap outta the ground?) or things like exploits being addressed. Server hopping cap stashes being stopped. I don't care. I don't care because I don't do that.

I am a filthy casual... and to be honest, when I read over what has changed I think the vast majority of it even makes sense.

I do understand anger about incomplete patch notes. people should know what happened with the update, and not be surprised about it particularly when it changes strategy.

I get that people think it is more important to fix freezes and bugs than it is to worry about game balance. I agree.

But at the end of the day, I can't waste any time fuming about this. I worked all day yesterday, I came home. I made dinner. I clean up and did some chores around the house. hung out with the family for a while, then sat down to play the game for all of about 1.5 hours before going to bed. I logged on, my stuff was there. I wrapped up a quest. I finally wandered over to the Cranberry bog area. I did the Uranium fever event with a bunch of other people I got some loot, found some plans, had a good time. Nothing froze, nothing broke. My enjoyment was not ruined due to the patch.

So, there you have it. I don't care.

And the reason I am writing this is simply perspective. There are a lot of people that play this game. A whole lot more than the 150K on this subreddit. I have a feeling a good chunk of them are like me.

People that play a couple hours a week when they can. People on consoles. people that are not at endgame. people that just play the game and don't worry about Min-Maxing every possible thing they can. People that don't even consider server hopping mobs or cap stashes. People like me that get on this subreddit to find a good idea of something to go do during their short 1-2 hour gaming windows.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah, I'm sure a 'casual' took time to write out that screed about now Not Mad they are.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, I'm sure a 'casual' took time to write out that screed about now Not Mad they are.

PSA: In light of everything going on right now, please remember NOT to harass, insult, belittle or disrespect the community managers. It's their job to do damage control. It's their job to apologize to us about everything going on. But it's not their fault, personally. It's the software engineers (for the website), game developers and even game director and probably higher ups too. Be pissed at them, not the community managers. I'm not saying anyone is taking anything out on them, but when people get angry they tend to direct their anger out on anything relevant to what's angering them, but please, direct it at the right people and even the community managers without being a dick about it

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Liquid Communism posted:

I often casually play games for 76 hours.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

This personal information breach is a hilarious new reason Bethesda shouldn't be attempting multiplayer Fallout. At this rate, they should have shopped it out to the Zenimax division that is running ESO.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
Catching up with this thread has been a rollercoaster. I thought ya'll were loving around again when the data breach poo poo came up cause thats too stupid to be real, but nope. Beth outdoin itself again.

Dudes like this are why the earth gonna kill us in two or three decades lmao

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

DrManiac posted:

I don't care.

I don't. I am probably not the key demographic of this subreddit which is likely gamers aged 16-25 with loads of free time. There are people in this sub with hundreds of hours into this game. I think I just got the 76 hour achievement the last night, and I have played since BETA.

I am nearly 40. I have a wife and kids, I have a full time job. I play a couple hours here and there during the week.

I do not play for 8-12 hours a day every day.

So I am a filthy casual. I get it.

And that is key to my perspective of why I don't care. I just turn on my Xbox and I play. I do whatever quests I had on from the last time I played. I dink around in my CAMP. I go on some loot runs here and there. I fiddle around. I am like level 38 or something. I never run into significant bugs, I rarely get booted from the game or freeze. The only time the game made me rage was a week ago I was killed while over-encumbered and got the dreaded respawn bug. I have a friend who plays that also is nearly 40, has a wife and kids and we sometimes can play together on a Saturday or Sunday night. if we are lucky.

So when I read things like workshops were slowed down and produce ore not scrap (I mean, makes sense right? why you taking scrap outta the ground?) or things like exploits being addressed. Server hopping cap stashes being stopped. I don't care. I don't care because I don't do that.

I am a filthy casual... and to be honest, when I read over what has changed I think the vast majority of it even makes sense.

I do understand anger about incomplete patch notes. people should know what happened with the update, and not be surprised about it particularly when it changes strategy.

I get that people think it is more important to fix freezes and bugs than it is to worry about game balance. I agree.

But at the end of the day, I can't waste any time fuming about this. I worked all day yesterday, I came home. I made dinner. I clean up and did some chores around the house. hung out with the family for a while, then sat down to play the game for all of about 1.5 hours before going to bed. I logged on, my stuff was there. I wrapped up a quest. I finally wandered over to the Cranberry bog area. I did the Uranium fever event with a bunch of other people I got some loot, found some plans, had a good time. Nothing froze, nothing broke. My enjoyment was not ruined due to the patch.

So, there you have it. I don't care.

And the reason I am writing this is simply perspective. There are a lot of people that play this game. A whole lot more than the 150K on this subreddit. I have a feeling a good chunk of them are like me.

People that play a couple hours a week when they can. People on consoles. people that are not at endgame. people that just play the game and don't worry about Min-Maxing every possible thing they can. People that don't even consider server hopping mobs or cap stashes. People like me that get on this subreddit to find a good idea of something to go do during their short 1-2 hour gaming windows.

So basically the less time you have for videogames, the worse you want them to be? :thunk:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I genuinely can’t remember a game that kept loving up this bad. I was going to say sim city, but they offered refunds lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Bethesda you idiots real life isn't gamebryo stop breaking it