Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
So... what do you do as you exit the elontube?
Do you stop the car, open the door, and then take off the little helper wheels and put them in your trunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

orcinus posted:

So... what do you do as you exit the elontube?
Do you stop the car, open the door, and then take off the little helper wheels and put them in your trunk?

no, musky boi showed a video where they neatly fold under the car

Bushiz posted:

Does anyone know the model of tunnel mole he bought? I see a bunch of people claim he invented it which is just hilarious

his major innovation is running it out of spec to dig faster. so for every $1 in savings from tunneling he's probably racking up $10 in maintenance and repair, which he has to pay since his other gimmick is reusing the thing for every tunnel rather than just burying it once the tunnel is complete

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013
he’s definitely got some coke-bloat going on

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Why don't companies reuse tunnel boring machines? I'm kinda astonished that its cheaper to keep building new ones instead of even taking like the engine and other expensive parts out of abandoned ones. For instance, apparently, if the New York 2nd Avenue Subway didn't get enough funding to do the whole line in one continuous stretch they would've shoved the borer they'd been using to the side when one part was done and bring in an entirely new one for the next instead of reusing it.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

YES

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

infernal machines posted:

his major innovation is running it out of spec to dig faster. so for every $1 in savings from tunneling he's probably racking up $10 in maintenance and repair, which he has to pay since his other gimmick is reusing the thing for every tunnel rather than just burying it once the tunnel is complete

quote:

For a better comparison Super Excavators (the previous owners of Godot) used the exact same machine to build a 1,640 ft sewer overflow tunnel for $12.4 million, or scaling up $38 million/mile, right up there with Elon's $40 million cost, and the contract had profit factored into it as well and was done in a more challenging geology and included digging deeper access shafts that what Elon did. So I guess the Proof of Concept is that Elon can spend more money digging a tunnel using the exact same machine at a shallower depth and easier ground than an existing tunneling contractor.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I figured it out

The tunnel system is really just a way to avoid Teslas driving through puddles

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kraanerg posted:

AI is going to completely replace all of us in less than five years and besides, the odds that we're living in a simulation is almost 1 so why even bother with figuring out how to supply oxygen into tht thing

Elon Musk saw AI and he cried in fear

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Oh yeah remember when Elon tried asking suppliers to give him refunds? How profitable is a rail spur when the loving idiot using it for fire hazard transport keeps asking for free shipping?

this is an instant way to piss off any and all freight companies: tell them to do hazmat for free

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Elon thinks he can come in and magically undercut any industry, just because it worked that one time with SpaceX

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Streak posted:

I figured it out

Oh that reminds me: What do they do when it rains? It doesn't often, of course, but there's gonna be some good storms that hit it some day.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Streak posted:

I figured it out

You wouldn't believe it but tunnels flood constantly and require specialized movement of water to stop from flooding

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Admiral Ray posted:

Oh that reminds me: What do they do when it rains? It doesn't often, of course, but there's gonna be some good storms that hit it some day.

Mini sub

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

This reminds me of that solar road project that seems really cool until you realize that a lot of road traffic isn't your Honda Civic and has poo poo like gravel or god forbid studded tires and the panels would get beat to poo poo within a week.

People with good intentions who have no loving clue what life is like outside of their very narrow experience.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

BMan posted:

Elon thinks he can come in and magically undercut any industry, just because it worked that one time with SpaceX

Yeah, he thinks he can win a negotiation with anyone because he's smarter than everyone. Just like another guy we know.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Sab0921 posted:

This is what he built right?

yes lmao

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
So I haven't been following the dumb tunnel thing too closely, are they still planning on depressurizing the tunnels? And if so are tesla's even designed to withstand a 1 atm pressure difference? Because from what we've seen of their integrity so far I'm pretty sure the windows are gonna pop out.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

So I haven't been following the dumb tunnel thing too closely, are they still planning on depressurizing the tunnels? And if so are tesla's even designed to withstand a 1 atm pressure difference? Because from what we've seen of their integrity so far I'm pretty sure the windows are gonna pop out.

The tunnel in today's example apparently doesn't even have a ventilation system

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
this loving poo poo was bothering me enough to spool up Wolfram Alpha again;

so, the tunnel traffic goes 150mph

Musk's brainstrong idea for merging is; split off ramps/branches you accelerate on

now, I can't be bothered to look further, but this https://fastestlaps.com/tests/ar2gue72uzk3 gives Model S P85D (faster than any model 3 I think?) best 0-150mph of about 30 seconds

that gives average acceleration of about 2.235 meters per second, per second

travelling at that acceleration for 30 seconds to reach the 150mph you need to not obliterate yourself and the rest of the tunnel traffic takes you a little more than a kilometer of a run

each of these on-ramps has to be another extra kilometer of a parallel tunnel

seriously they need to lock this lunatic up

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Katt posted:

What movie is this? :stare:

Did this get answered? This is important!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

also it’s just one way so far...so if you want to go back to your destination traffic would have to loop around connected track or Elon would have to design a complicated set of on and off ramps to two different directional tunnels

will there be different ramps going in different directions once you get off/on your personal car elevator? how the hell would that work? and if you take the wrong one you’ll get smashed into a flaming pile of debris that will stop of traffic and kill everyone in the tunnel

this is my favorite dumb poo poo idea he has had yet. the more you think about it the worse it seems

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

https://www.boringcompany.com/faq/

quote:

What if there's a fire?
The risk of fire is very low in the Loop system, as the tunnel lining is non-flammable (concrete) and no flammable materials (like asphalt) are added. Additionally, there is no live electric third rail, minimizing potential fire sources and limiting the fire’s main energy source to that of the vehicle’s battery. Additionally, unlike a live rail system, the effects of {unlikely} water intrusion are minimal, as autonomous electric vehicles can safely “handle some rain.”

In the unlikely case that a fire does occur, the tunnel’s ventilation system will remove the smoke to allow passengers to safely evacuate.

that official faq is glorious bullshit

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Springfield Monorail was at least practical, and would have worked in the hands of a reputable firm.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
there won't be anything flammable in the tunnels * fills tunnel with teslas*

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Speaking of, I'm still stunned over that concrete.

How deep is the tunnel? Do you need to make special mixes when working underground so that the concrete sets properly?

Because, you know, obviously theirs didn't.

hey I can actually answer this! I worked on the Indianapolis Deep Rock Tunnel network for a few years. it’s a 300 some feet deep 18 foot diameter tunnel for combined sewer and it’s lined in concrete. Concrete mixes all have an air % specification generally in the 4-6% range. For these tunnels, concrete needs to be pumped down. The concrete loses a ton of air going through the pump so you need to have your mix account for it so that it reaches the delivery point with the right amount of air. it’s generally a pain in the rear end and you need to test throughout the day to make sure nothing of getting hosed up.

my guess is they didn’t bother with testing or worse, tested at the point where the concrete is obviously going to pass.

also here’s a photo of what the Indy tunnel looks like prior to concrete lining.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

but like, a well made image :shrug:

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
You guys missed the best video

all of this talk about 150mph

Watch that video at 17 seconds and tell me you can see this carnival ride going buck fifty.

why won't you hold my hand elon

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The Verge's report said their ride's top speed was 40mph.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
wtf why are they holding hands

edit: its a terror thing, she is genuinely unnerved by the ride

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
can teslas even get to 150 mph? maybe if they said kph it would be believable.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Communist Zombie posted:

Why don't companies reuse tunnel boring machines? I'm kinda astonished that its cheaper to keep building new ones instead of even taking like the engine and other expensive parts out of abandoned ones. For instance, apparently, if the New York 2nd Avenue Subway didn't get enough funding to do the whole line in one continuous stretch they would've shoved the borer they'd been using to the side when one part was done and bring in an entirely new one for the next instead of reusing it.

because TBMs are huge and extracting them requires a giant hole, a massive crane, and a weeks long disassembly project. most of the time just the cost of tunneling to a point where that can be done vastly exceeds the savings from reusing the TBM (which then requires significant refurbishment before reuse).

it is sometimes done though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3pG8RfOxtY

as for the NY 2nd ave subway - getting the machine running after it has been sitting for a decade or more is a very dicey proposal and the costs which would be incurred if it were to break down so extreme it makes sense to just use another one. also all the tunnels you were using to extract the spoil are filled with subway now. I bet they did disassemble and extract as much of the supporting equipment as they could though, no reason to leave valuable metal behind.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Giant boring machines rule and are generally a loving mess to deal with

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

hey I can actually answer this! I worked on the Indianapolis Deep Rock Tunnel network for a few years. it’s a 300 some feet deep 18 foot diameter tunnel for combined sewer and it’s lined in concrete. Concrete mixes all have an air % specification generally in the 4-6% range. For these tunnels, concrete needs to be pumped down. The concrete loses a ton of air going through the pump so you need to have your mix account for it so that it reaches the delivery point with the right amount of air. it’s generally a pain in the rear end and you need to test throughout the day to make sure nothing of getting hosed up.

my guess is they didn’t bother with testing or worse, tested at the point where the concrete is obviously going to pass.

also here’s a photo of what the Indy tunnel looks like prior to concrete lining.

Thanks for this. Just looking at the Muskcrete I knew there was something horribly wrong with it. I've never in my life seen concrete - fresh concrete - with so many patches. It must have started falling apart immediately.

People forget (or never learn) that setting concrete is a chemical process, not a physical one. lovely aggregate, not enough air. Add in vehicles travelling along it and I wonder how long it's going to take before it crumbles and sends a test car careening through the tunnel to land on its roof.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
it's loving wild how much trouble our boy is going to in order to make just a really, really lovely Disney ride

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Turns out the Welsh had electric cars figured out in the 30s. Suck it Musk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
You laugh now, but once all the real money disappears into cryptocurrency, companies that collapse after the economy can no longer support venture capitalism and the construction of emperor trumps space tomb, that big wacky tube will probably be a good place to squat while we wait for the rad levels to drop