Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, noise is a fair point. I've read about some DIYers adding noise padding to the rear wheel arches on the Model S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Deteriorata posted:

Sedans are also much quieter due to the isolated passenger compartment.

Duct tape is an excellent sound limiting device.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CannonFodder posted:

Duct tape is an excellent sound limiting device.

Wrap all the way around.

A strip on the front only works in the movies.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

Volvo says they'll have a "Polestar 2" out this year with 400hp and a 300 mile range, looking like the 40.2 concept. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25737679/polestar-2-volvo-confirmed-2020/

And Infiniti just released the QX EV concept. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25742810/infiniti-qx-inspiration-electric-crossover/

So i guess this is the future then. All cars are roughly I-pace shaped with little styling bits to differentiate them.

Do any photos of even a hollow car show mock-up exist of these things, or is it just slightly/significantly worse than GT6 photo mode quality renders?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

Do any photos of even a hollow car show mock-up exist of these things, or is it just slightly/significantly worse than GT6 photo mode quality renders?

It should be on the floor in Detroit next week but will probably still be an empty shell.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Nothing says "I need a crossover" like Shinjuku.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Gran Turismo Sport scapes mode has better quality than those concept pictures

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
There are no official pictures of the Polestar 2 yet other than a teaser shot not posted in this thread.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, I hadn’t considered that my S got much noise from the trunk area, but I guess road noise is where the wheels are!

I took the back seat cushions out of my 3 series for a week or so while I was rewiring some of my electronics and it's amazing how much those two thin sheets of foam covered in pleather absorbed. I legitimately thought I was having another differential failure until I realized why there was a lot more speed-dependent noise.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wibla posted:

Can confirm that a model S is scary when going downhill on ice :v:

Nearly ended in the snowbanks twice on the 1100 mile trip home from Tromsø with a brand new car, not my idea of fun.

My sister related to me how a few weeks ago she saw a Tesla try to jump the light at an intersection and turn left before she (heading straight) could go through, and the road was snowy and slushy, and it ended up fishtailing onto the sidewalk and landed in a bush.

I thought they had better traction control than that? Surely the combination of electric motors and ABS gives you near-instant control over wheelspin.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sagebrush posted:

My sister related to me how a few weeks ago she saw a Tesla try to jump the light at an intersection and turn left before she (heading straight) could go through, and the road was snowy and slushy, and it ended up fishtailing onto the sidewalk and landed in a bush.

I thought they had better traction control than that? Surely the combination of electric motors and ABS gives you near-instant control over wheelspin.

no computer system yet invented can beat the stupidity of people 100% of the time

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

The computer can easily help you get into trouble which the computer can't get you out of.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Sagebrush posted:

IIRC they’re writing their own TC software now, maybe it’s not very good?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The first thing I did when I took my Model 3 into a icy/snowy parking lot was to try to get it out of control. The traction control does an amazing job but once you get some decent speed the large mass of the vehicle can be a real problem. The car's regenerative braking acts as a better-than ABS braking solution but you're gonna need a lot of leeway if you want to stop that's for sure.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I forgot to mention: While my 3 was in the shop, Tesla rented me a 2019 Maxima SV, and unlike the Buick, I really quite liked the car. If there was a EV version of the Maxima I would consider it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Long, heavy, high torque RWD vehicle accelerating while turning on a slippery surface... Ye cannae break the laws of physics

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

There's only so much the computer can do when faced with a retarded driver.

:v:

In general, traction control in the Tesla is pretty goddamn good, but it can easily get you into trouble too. It does a lot of work before ever lighting up that yellow icon, and generally the car feels so planted and stable that you don't realize what's going on until you're out of grip while having to make a correction. Boom, Tesla goes bambi on ice.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Regen in snow is pretty dangerous, the cars do not manage it well and can lock up the rears (RWD) or all 4 wheels (AWD). It's a smart idea to set Regen to low in those kind of conditions and be mindful of what will happen if you completely release the accelerator.

Luckily due to the lack of a battery heater my Model 3 is regen limited much of the time in cold temps anyway.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

sanchez posted:

Regen in snow is pretty dangerous, the cars do not manage it well and can lock up the rears (RWD) or all 4 wheels (AWD). It's a smart idea to set Regen to low in those kind of conditions.

I've had a good experience with regen on ice, it's similar to engine braking on a motorcycle. As you let off the accelerator, it slows you down gently. Regen braking is a lot easier to manage than using the brake pedal in icy conditions in my opinion.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Mine came with lilfetime oil changes!

But really I use a leaf to offset the fuel my 500 cubic inch ford fiesta uses like most of us do.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I've had a good experience with regen on ice, it's similar to engine braking on a motorcycle. As you let off the accelerator, it slows you down gently. Regen braking is a lot easier to manage than using the brake pedal in icy conditions in my opinion.

I'm going to guess it is like riding a motorcycle in snow where the back wheel will effectively lock up (it doesn't lock, the motor just overpowers the rear grip with engine braking) if you come off the throttle too quick.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm going to guess it is like riding a motorcycle in snow where the back wheel will effectively lock up (it doesn't lock, the motor just overpowers the rear grip with engine braking) if you come off the throttle too quick.

I loved engine braking on an SV650 I used to own, the rear end would be all over the place but I'd still be going in the direction my front wheel's pointed. It's the same with regen in the ice. I don't know what the experience would be like with AWD, though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The anti-spin on EVs can modulate the regen just like ABS.

e: But I don't know how well it's implemented across all cars

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I loved engine braking on an SV650 I used to own, the rear end would be all over the place but I'd still be going in the direction my front wheel's pointed. It's the same with regen in the ice. I don't know what the experience would be like with AWD, though.

Yeah, it is a little bit different in the snow where you can easily wash the front, rather than just letting the rear dance a little bit as the slipper clutch (or your clutch fanning) does its work :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Is that supposed to be the Sky Tower? With the antenna shortened like that it looks a lot more like the Space Needle, in Seattle.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

Is that supposed to be the Sky Tower? With the antenna shortened like that it looks a lot more like the Space Needle, in Seattle.

It wouldn't fit on the license plate.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

I forgot to mention: While my 3 was in the shop, Tesla rented me a 2019 Maxima SV, and unlike the Buick, I really quite liked the car. If there was a EV version of the Maxima I would consider it.

Haha, as if Nissan will ever ship another EV. Leaf now, Leaf forever, no upgrades or changes.

Charles posted:

Yes, I'm told this is in Hunters Plaza, Auckland.

EDIT: If there actual Kiwis in this thread please enjoy this video from your fellow countryman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhTFnIRreLg

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Guys Toyota might be real dumb:

quote:

https://electrek.co/2019/01/07/toyota-tesla-lead-shuns-all-electric-electrified-2025/
... snip ...
Carter added that they forecast only about 4-6% of the market to be all-electric during the second half of next decade, which is significantly lower than most estimates.

Nonetheless, Toyota plans to release a few all-electric vehicles of its own in order to capture some of that 4-6% of the market.
EDIT: EVs are currently something like 3% of US light vehicles sales, and pure EV is over half of that.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 7, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Weird, I thought they had turned. I remember in the 90s or early 00s hearing about Toyota's management genius and how they made 50-year plans etc. By now I think everyone agrees that a 50-year plan is just dumb. Things change, plans go sour, old ideas stop being relevant. Perhaps they are just doggedly sticking to their 50-year plan in their that stoic Japanese way? Perhaps the internal rebellion has been quelled?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ulf posted:

Guys Toyota might be real dumb:

EDIT: EVs are currently something like 3% of US light vehicles sales, and pure EV is over half of that.

It depends on what they’re calling the market. If it’s 4-6% of all vehicles out there, it’s a possibility. People keep their cars a lot longer, and if we’re heading to a recession doubly so.

If they’re saying the “market” as in, new vehicle purchase, I agree.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Toyota may be referring to the global market and considering the additional cost of EV compared to ICE, the market shares globally are likely much lower than in markets like US, Norway, Germany etc. Europe is also a relatively weak market for Toyota.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

If they’re saying the “market” as in, new vehicle purchase, I agree.

It has to be, because that's the only business they're in. If car sales drop due to more accessible sharing/renting schemes, the EV % will be even higher. I think they're rich enough that they can survive realizing their mistake quite late, but I'm not sure.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Motorcycle EV Nerds, behold!

The Harley-Davidson LiveWire specs are here!

quote:

The all-electric LiveWire will apparently hit 60 from a stop in 3.5 seconds. There is no clutch and no gear shifting, which will definitely make riding an extremely different experience. And riders will be able to slow down using the power regeneration mode in addition to the brakes.

Brilliant!

quote:

Then we get to the range. Harley estimates 110 miles of urban roads on a single charge, which... isn’t great.

Oh well, I mean hey, it’s uh, perfect for riding to the bar and back. I mean, they might sell some to the commuter crow-

quote:

Let’s just get it out of the way first. The bike’s MSRP comes to $29,799.

:stonklol: RIP Harley, it’s been a good run. May your assets end up on cheap scoots, so I can buy one and cry many manly American Freedom Tears.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think it must be a global number. It's pessimistic, but there are a couple things that probably factor in to the decision:

1. Toyota has a ton of global emerging market exposure where EV adoption rates are going to be lower.
2. If you do not strongly believe in a true light/medium duty truck EV, that caps US market share at a much lower number.
3. If you do not believe that the cost to produce an EV can be brought down significantly, that also caps US market share at a much lower number, especially considering that any future Toyota EV is probably going to be competing in the Toyota end of the market, not Lexus.
4. Customers at the lower end of the market with higher single vehicle dependency are more risk averse, and adoption rates may be inherently lower as a result.
5. Toyota may be betting on PHEV to capture more market share with improvements in PHEV tech

I still think that 6% in 2029 is awfully low, but you can figure out a chain of reasoning that leads to that number. I can talk myself in to 1, maybe 2, and 4. The rest I doubt. The rapid growth in EV sales as a percentage of total vehicle sales is predicated in large part on some big cost reductions in EV manufacturing, which are not 100% certain.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Wibla posted:

There's only so much the computer can do when faced with a retarded driver.

:v:

In general, traction control in the Tesla is pretty goddamn good, but it can easily get you into trouble too. It does a lot of work before ever lighting up that yellow icon, and generally the car feels so planted and stable that you don't realize what's going on until you're out of grip while having to make a correction. Boom, Tesla goes bambi on ice.

There was one instance of their Autopilot system regaining control after hitting black ice:

https://electrek.co/2019/01/05/tesla-autopilot-control-sliding-ice-video/

If they could get their vision system to recognize objects through rain and snow, they just might possibly have an outside chance at being first to market with a self-driving car which isn't restricted to perfect weather.

sanchez posted:

Regen in snow is pretty dangerous, the cars do not manage it well and can lock up the rears (RWD) or all 4 wheels (AWD). It's a smart idea to set Regen to low in those kind of conditions and be mindful of what will happen if you completely release the accelerator.

Luckily due to the lack of a battery heater my Model 3 is regen limited much of the time in cold temps anyway.

That reminds me of how so many future-car concepts have involved individual wheel motors - this sounds like a practical use for that sort of feature.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think the Toyota guy was saying with gas prices under $2 EV don't make sense when you can buy a 40 mpg civic for 18k. He has a point but US consumers don't act rationally.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I just wish people had more reason to switch than gas savings. Non-zero emissions cars should be ostracized as dirty and harmful, much like tobacco.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
As someone who lurks the hell out of this thread because I'm generally interested in the tech and am planning on working an EV in as my regular commuter within the next year... I think that's a pretty crappy opinion.

There's plenty of people who have life requirements that are incompatible with the current EV market either due to cost, available infrastructure in their region. Why not use the carrot instead of the stick of shame on those that EVs don't currently work for?

It's not even remotely comparable to tobacco which is a voluntary action..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

RZA Encryption posted:

I just wish people had more reason to switch than gas savings.

There's also the fact that you're leaving out most of the parts of a gas car that commonly require service. This could potentially have quite an impact on total cost of ownership (provided you;re not dealing with a luxury brand for which replacement parts are crazy expensive), except not many people seem to talk about that.