Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

my kinda ape posted:

Cav's pistol does 99 damage at that range so she got lucky and hit you twice in the hand. Her pistol is kind of bullshit tbh. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it needs nerfed/redesigned but it can definitely be frustrating to go up against.

the biggest problem with cav is that her smg+extended barrel has insane range and practically no recoil so she can engage people from anywhere when really she should be forced to sneak up on everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Pick and ban is the best mode

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Thief posted:

the biggest problem with cav is that her smg+extended barrel has insane range and practically no recoil so she can engage people from anywhere when really she should be forced to sneak up on everyone

That's actually a good point - if the smg was ineffective, then she'd be forced into close range since the pistol has such strong ranged falloff, lacks good long range sights, and only causes injuries so it can be hard to follow up in some cases.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

tomdidiot posted:

Hostage is just fundamentally broken. You shoot the hostage 3 times with most defender SMGs and they're basically almost dead. A bad spray, or even a misthrown flashbang can down them (If you've used Bandit/Cav), which really cuts the timer down for the other team.

Obviously, it also means you can down the hostage quite easily as well, so you definitely shouldn't be using them as cover.

I was being facetious, we do it just for comedy.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Any goons who want to be seige buddies with a newer player? I've put in 25 hours. I'm PST but usually play after 9 or 10

psn = snackytongs

I just started this on PS4 and I'm incredibly bad at it, but it's a lot of fun. I'll add you (in_disgust) this week, maybe if there's a goon ps4 group someone could add me to that too? I can't stress how bad I am at this video game, I really need to get back into PC gaming.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Captainicus posted:

That's actually a good point - if the smg was ineffective, then she'd be forced into close range since the pistol has such strong ranged falloff, lacks good long range sights, and only causes injuries so it can be hard to follow up in some cases.

were you two in charge of the ela nerf because lol

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
The best part of hostage is running your drone around the hostage in the prep phase and hoping that the defenders kill the hostage while trying to shoot the drone. It has happened exactly once for me.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Wooper posted:

were you two in charge of the ela nerf because lol

do elaborate :nallears:

Thief fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 7, 2019

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Thief posted:

do elaborate :nallears:

Trying to fix a balance problem with an operator by tweaking other aspects of them instead of the direct cause of the problem is dumb and doesn't work well at all.

For instance Ela having a crazy SMG with 50 round mags, a high ROF, and good accuracy. Instead of just reducing the magazine size to 30 or something they removed one of her meh gadgets and gave her worse secondary gadgets. That didn't actually do anything to alleviate the problem besides making her shittier in other ways. They finally gave her 40 round mags and nerfed the SMG accuracy a bit while leaving the other nerfs.

Same thing happened with Blackbeard. Turns out having an operator who can't be headshot in a game that's about getting headshots and peeking with just your head visible is insanely strong but instead of nerfing the shield they made him super slow and nerfed the gently caress out of his guns. That still didn't fix the problem until they made his shield really, really weak and then they still kept the nerfs to his guns and speed.

If cav's pistol design is frustrating to play against then nerfing her SMG isn't going to alleviate that at all. It's just going to make her a shittier character to play while retaining the thing that's frustrating to play against.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Iron Lung posted:

I just started this on PS4 and I'm incredibly bad at it, but it's a lot of fun. I'll add you (in_disgust) this week, maybe if there's a goon ps4 group someone could add me to that too? I can't stress how bad I am at this video game, I really need to get back into PC gaming.

Yeah dude feel free. I'll probably be playing ranked for the time being, but let me know when you unlock that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

my kinda ape posted:

Trying to fix a balance problem with an operator by tweaking other aspects of them instead of the direct cause of the problem is dumb and doesn't work well at all.

For instance Ela having a crazy SMG with 50 round mags, a high ROF, and good accuracy. Instead of just reducing the magazine size to 30 or something they removed one of her meh gadgets and gave her worse secondary gadgets. That didn't actually do anything to alleviate the problem besides making her shittier in other ways. They finally gave her 40 round mags and nerfed the SMG accuracy a bit while leaving the other nerfs.

Same thing happened with Blackbeard. Turns out having an operator who can't be headshot in a game that's about getting headshots and peeking with just your head visible is insanely strong but instead of nerfing the shield they made him super slow and nerfed the gently caress out of his guns. That still didn't fix the problem until they made his shield really, really weak and then they still kept the nerfs to his guns and speed.

If cav's pistol design is frustrating to play against then nerfing her SMG isn't going to alleviate that at all. It's just going to make her a shittier character to play while retaining the thing that's frustrating to play against.

Please get hired at Ubi as Chief Desk Slammer because I've never seen anyone articulate this quite so well.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

except the problem with cav isn't her pistol though?

its her versatility at extreme range that makes her annoying to counter because she can disengage and flank from angles that should only make sense when playing against someone like jager/vigil

her entire character is clearly meant to represent an up-close and personal ambusher. traditionally sneaky-type rogues are the very best at this in whatever features them and are a terror to 1v1

giving her the top pistol in the game is fitting for this because Ubi obviously doesn't want a melee only or even pistol only character. her secondary may as well be her primary. range on the pistol is a non-issue simply because of its basic function as a gadget that downs ppl before killing them. the easiest way to counter cav is to simply keep her at range regardless of this. idk who is sincerely dying to being Luison sniped that isn't asking for it by standing in a terrible place

if people are afraid to engage her alone then i think she is working very much as intended. teams that group up into at least pairs have no problem killing the average Cav. its the good ones that repeatedly play ranged dps effectively with the SMG while waiting for ideal ambushes that are the most annoying to deal with in regards to her as a whole.

e: if you see a competent cav sniping with the pistol rather than their smg then you can almost always assume they're running the shotgun because there isn't much reason to do this otherwise

Thief fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 7, 2019

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I honestly don't see any cavs sniping more than any other character and certainly not anywhere near as much as the defenders who are actually good at sniping (Jager/vigil/doc/rook). The only time I can remember getting sniped by cav at all was with when she instantly downed me with her pistol from the third floor of the white building on Kanal while I was on the roof of the brick building. It's probably because her SMG does not stand out in any way from any of the guns in the game and can be described as average at best.

If it's happening to you a lot then uh, I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Let's not pretend cav peaking does not happen. She's already away from site so there's no reason not to try.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Let's not pretend cav peaking does not happen. She's already away from site so there's no reason not to try.

Giving away your location is a pretty good reason not to try. And I said it happens but no more than any other character because her guns are not particularly good at that sort of thing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm saying it happens more than with other characters. Giving away your location in the first 10-15 seconds is worth a kill any day

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Iron Lung posted:

I’ll add you, too. Been rotating this game back into the mix with BF and Blackout. I’ll play casual with ya until you can play ranked.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

my kinda ape posted:

As a Blackbeard main, this is just making me want BB to have his lovely nerfs reverted even more. It's been so long since he was good, dammit! :(

But yeah, I think Cav's pistol should do a lot less damage to arms and legs regardless of range, (and should also do practically nothing to Blackbeard's supposed bullet-resistant shield, for that matter) so that although it's still a highly potent weapon at close range, you can't either A) spam-shoot at someone and down them by hitting them in the arm, or B) down shield operators by shooting their hand once or twice. Just so it requires a little bit of thought as to where you place your shots, in order for it to be amazingly effective.
I dunno, it might just be me who thinks a slight tweak like this could make a difference.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the only downside to Cav's SMG is that it has a very distinct sound which tells everyone who and where she is

but Cav peeks and runouts happen way more often than even rook/doc/echo acog fuckery

with an extended barrel her smg is easily better for spawnpeeking than characters like valk/alibi who can specialize in it. idk the raw dps numbers because it has more to do with recoil since the choice is between that and a suppressor

Major Isoor posted:

I dunno, it might just be me who thinks a slight tweak like this could make a difference.

in all likelihood that thing is going to be tweaked several times before they decide to finally nerf it slightly. ideally it would sit somewhere between here and Skull Rain

but they could copy/paste the pre-buff Luision back into the game and it would still make people mad because they died waltzing into her roam zone

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is the defender with an lmg and some laser camera drone not any good? Never see him played.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

BadLlama posted:

Is the defender with an lmg and some laser camera drone not any good? Never see him played.

Maestro? He fuckin' rules

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

El Jebus posted:

I’ll add you, too. Been rotating this game back into the mix with BF and Blackout. I’ll play casual with ya until you can play ranked.

Oh, poo poo, I think I got a friend request from you. I'll accept it tonight. I thought it was a pubbie at first because I had just played a ranked round with a bunch of screaming 8 year olds. :suicide:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Maestro? He fuckin' rules

Hey, do you play on PS4 Megaman? I think we might play some of the same games.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

BadLlama posted:

ability wise Maestro is like playing a weirdly stiff hybrid between echo/tachanka but his guns are so cool that people often love him just for that alone.

for a while the real reason some goons played him was because his lmg was surprisingly accurate when hipfiring. supposedly this was nerfed but it wouldn't surprise me if you can still do this at shotgun ranges and probably worth a try. the funniest part of it all is that it gets an acog

my favorite thing about the drones is that they can be useful to zap and destroy clueless breach charges. they don't last long against good players though so you have to learn how to hide them in weird places. this is why the shotgun pistol is so good because it lets you open up sneaky sightlines through walls/floors that let your drone protect stuff like hatches from above

mostly he's effective at harassing an attacker's push if he sets up at a bottleneck and for some reason they have no way to destroy his evil eyes. he can juggle between zapping them in the butt and then shooting back in person from both sides and if timed correctly it is extremely annoying. though most maestros just spam the laser until someone kills it while hoping it caused enough damage to win the following shootout.

he's really good if you like to hang back for most of the round then try to steamroll anyone that survived. the LMG has enough bullets to survive a slopper attacker reload. worst case scenario is your entire team died and you get to play Alamo with a LMG

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah, fair enough, I see where you are coming from. I think I might slightly disagree and you can remove side aspects from a character to adjust them, even if it just usually doesn't work out. For example, Ying lost smoke, which can be a minor influence when you are playing Ying but a really annoying factor when you combo Ying + Glaz. The problem there could be solved and still have kept both characters intact.

A lot of people I've seen in moba communities absolutely hate nerfing any individual defining strong aspect of a character, saying it ruins them completely and why not just weaken them in others ways but leave their 'identity' intact? I don't think that quite translates to a different genre, though.

For me, at least, the most frustrating part of playing against cav is that I am very much discouraged to go solo, but she has enough bullets to easily take down multiple people from a surprise attack and turn the entire game around :mad: Also she's super good against shields who I play a lot

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

it sucks that blitz's shield is glitchy but he dies to poo poo like op's vid all the time even if you're sneezing a Benelli from soft blanketting distances. whenever i watch the killcam after dying to poo poo like this it will usually show my entire shoulder exposed even though from your perspective you're looking at them.

maybe cav shouldn't counter blitz because he's got big hands and a trashcan lid for a shield but attackers are given every tool imaginable to counter her except a Doc stim or Rook armor - right down to the fact that casual mode even spawns pubbies all together in the same spot

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Bronze 1, better than I thought. Matches were even pretty fun except the first, where it was nothing but deliberate TK's the whole time, and the last, where I wound up muting a guy because he died because I wasn't where he wanted me to be and he, presumably a grown-rear end man, wouldn't stop having a shitfit.(we won that match. We won that round, too)

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 9, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Played a 9 round game of ranked Hostage and I swear the defenders of either team won 6 of the 9 rounds, and then we randomly got defending for the final round but that basically won us the match. What a lovely mode.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I'm hooked, been playing for 3-4 hours past 4 nights, even managed to play a couple of matches as a 5-man party with friends last night (I went 9 - 0 k/d in one of those matches :grin:)
There's soooo much for me & my friends to learn - we all just bought the game late last week - but that process is drat satisfying. Staying calm when attacked and trying to find good sightlines and stuff... that's the stuff.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Played a 9 round game of ranked Hostage and I swear the defenders of either team won 6 of the 9 rounds, and then we randomly got defending for the final round but that basically won us the match. What a lovely mode.

It would be better if it worked like Terrorist Hunt where there was only one spot on the map at a time where you could bring the hostage and you had to wait out the timer even when you do get them there.

But fixing fundemental problems with gamemodes other than Bomb doesn't get people buying Clancy bux so they will never do it :sigh:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm finally ranked!

drat, ranked mode is serious business. People really know their poo poo.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
using cav's pistol a lot really makes you hate the invulnerability animations while players are dropping to the ground if you're going for kills alone

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

using cav's pistol a lot really makes you hate the invulnerability animations while players are dropping to the ground if you're going for kills alone

Nah dude, Doc's and Zofias iframes when getting up are the worst.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I am dumb, wrong thread.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 9, 2019

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

The Shame Boy posted:

It would be better if it worked like Terrorist Hunt where there was only one spot on the map at a time where you could bring the hostage and you had to wait out the timer even when you do get them there.

But fixing fundemental problems with gamemodes other than Bomb doesn't get people buying Clancy bux so they will never do it :sigh:

I like how your response to "defenders always win hostage" is "they should make it much, much harder for the attackers"

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

Isn't there some sorcery about that thing depending on wether or not you have silent walk activated?

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
After finally abandoning casual after 2 factor hit I can say that Ranked is loving amazing, I no longer get people on my team who seem to be playing with oven mitts on. But holy poo poo, it feels super horrible to lose to the timer.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I feel like I've finally started to improve a bit, like I'm getting some map knowledge and my shooting is marginally better. I got MVP twice today which is ultra rare for me. Playing random operators has helped me I think.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

AppleDan posted:

After finally abandoning casual after 2 factor hit I can say that Ranked is loving amazing, I no longer get people on my team who seem to be playing with oven mitts on. But holy poo poo, it feels super horrible to lose to the timer.

Yeah, I think that's my main issue. There are sometimes twice as many rounds but they feel half as long even though it's just a minute.

I think I actually prefer casual at the moment because ranked feels like so much pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Yeah, I think that's my main issue. There are sometimes twice as many rounds but they feel half as long even though it's just a minute.

I think I actually prefer casual at the moment because ranked feels like so much pressure.

If it was up to me I would have never left casual but I have had enough. The last few days I was getting turbo idiots who would get capped almost as soon as the round started and by the end you would see that the other team got out completely unscathed. I felt like there was jack goddamn poo poo i could do besides wait to be farmed by IIIIIlllIIllIIIlllIII and the rest of his squad for their daily dopamine hit. It was getting to the point where I would hear a noise, turn around, and get immediately one tapped, a minute later the round would be over. One time I was playin cav like 20 miles from the obj and a ying broke the door down, vaulted the couch i was prone behind, and hipfired me in the head with one shot. In ranked I can actually look at the other team without immediately catching a headshot and I don't feel like the other team immediately knows where I am as soon as they spawn, I feel like I have a CHANCE.

I feel like the 2 factor authentication for ranked made it finally playable but at the expense of turning casual into Siege's dumpster.