Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Obvious followup question: what was Omaha Beach like? You're right that SPR is my mental image of it, teach me otherwise.

Well, as you may know, few crafts hit their mark, leading to the carefully planned waves of tanks and engineers to clear the way failing. While the huge pillboxes weren't there, there were plenty of MG crews cutting people down. Infantry landings were often really unlucky: Most advancing sections were subject to small arms, mortars, artillery and interlocking fields of HMG fire, often at the same time. Landing craft were stuck on sand banks up to 100 metres from the beach, and sometimes people allegedly had to brave neck-deep water with current and lovely weather thrown in.

Things were worst for those groups landing at either end of the beach. At best they were disorganized from 70-100% officer loss and heavy casualties in general, at worst units had ceased to exist as a fighting force, and none could carry out their initial objectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Someone on Reddit asked about this sign and received a comprehensive answer explaining the background of the Cologne situation and that sign in particular.

There are quite a few more great signs on this page.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HEY GUNS posted:

i'm just sick and tired of hearing about the well known tanks. It's like how it's a little difficult to read Hamlet because it's been done so many times. Give me ahead-of-their-time French stuff from the end of WW1 or whatever weird armored cars the Czechs were coming up with

What about italian airplanes?

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What about italian airplanes?

Indeed, the Italians made drat good aircraft that were competitive up till the end of the war...

Macchi C.205
Reggiane Re.2005

for example...

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

EvilMerlin posted:

Indeed, the Italians made drat good aircraft that were competitive up till the end of the war...

Macchi C.205
Reggiane Re.2005

for example...
Yeah all three of them were really impressive.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Yeah all three of them were really impressive.

There were over 250 C.205's built.
There were almost 50 Re.2005's built.

Not quite sure what you are trying to say.

Heck, we can talk about the Macchi C.202, which again was another fine aircraft and there were over 1100 of them built.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
250 is somewhat short of the 20 thousand Spitfires the British built.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

EvilMerlin posted:

There were over 250 C.205's built.
There were almost 50 Re.2005's built.

My guess is that the three are the MC.205, the Re.2005 and the G.55, the three late war Italian fighters with the DB605 engine. For some reason the G.55 seems to get forgotten more than the other two in spite of arguably being the best of them.

Fangz posted:

250 is somewhat short of the 20 thousand Spitfires the British built.
A slightly unfair comparison due to the British practice of simply iterating the variant number for major engine changes while the Italians changed the whole name. Let's compare instead the design family of the MC.200, MC.202 and MC.205 together, totalling... 2500 aircraft. Dammit Italy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FrangibleCover posted:

My guess is that the three are the MC.205, the Re.2005 and the G.55, the three late war Italian fighters with the DB605 engine. For some reason the G.55 seems to get forgotten more than the other two in spite of arguably being the best of them.

A slightly unfair comparison due to the British practice of simply iterating the variant number for major engine changes while the Italians changed the whole name. Let's compare instead the design family of the MC.200, MC.202 and MC.205 together, totalling... 2500 aircraft. Dammit Italy.

Yeah and the brits only fought on one side of the war too.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

EvilMerlin posted:

It's called a joke. You may be familiar with the concept from your posting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Italy made the finest bespoke, artisanal, hand‐crafted æroplanes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Leonardo Da vinci carving a plane from marble over 15 years.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Milo and POTUS posted:

Leonardo Da vinci carving a plane from marble over 15 years.

Michelangelo painstakingly countershading the fuselage by hand

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It's called a joke. You may be familiar with the concept from your posting.

Jokes are amusing. Your post wasn't.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

EvilMerlin posted:

Jokes are amusing. Your post wasn't.

Did you skip your morning coffee?

Because you're being a total rear end in a top hat

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Did you skip your morning coffee?

Because you're being a total rear end in a top hat

Don't drink coffee.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Platystemon posted:

this is kind of a joke but even using the most optimistic full-rate production estimations G.55 took about twice as many man-hours to produce as the concurrent Bf-109

EvilMerlin posted:

Don't drink coffee.

just try being less of a dick maybe

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is kind of a joke but even using the most optimistic full-rate production estimations G.55 took about twice as many man-hours to produce as the concurrent Bf-109

just try being less of a dick maybe

I don't think the Italians ever made anything for WW2 efficiently or smoothly. I mean just look at their tank production...

Nah.

If the bad place here has taught me anything, its that is perfectly OK to be a dick.

EvilMerlin fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 4, 2019

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

EvilMerlin posted:

If the bad place here has taught me anything, its that is perfectly OK to be a dick.

:rolleyes:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

EvilMerlin posted:

I don't think the Italians ever made anything for WW2 efficiently or smoothly. I mean just look at their tank production...

Nah.

You are a bit strange

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

EvilMerlin posted:

Nah.

There’s a difference between poo poo posting in GBS or wherever and a high info thread in A/T. Different subs, different in-thread expectations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
How did the accuracy of big naval guns compare to rifles? Purely mechanical accuracy I mean.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Just like with tanks, only Americans and Soviets didn't have the fine, bespoke, artisanal planes.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Sleng Teng posted:

You are a bit strange

Yes, yes I am.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

EvilMerlin posted:

Don't drink coffee.

I think what people are trying to say is that the original comment was a tongue in cheek way of pointing out that quantity has a quality of ownit's own, and that, regardless of the actual quality of Italian aircraft, their inability to produce large amounts of them doomed the Italian air force to irrelevance.

Your post contradicting that, saying that, of the three planes mentioned, there were about 1400 built. That's not really a large number, especially when compared to the other countries usually considered "major powers" in WWII. The Romanians, who are generally not held in high esteem as a WWII combatant, managed to produce about 700 planes over the course of the war, and the Italian air force struggled against the Greek air force during their invasion, even though Greek planes, barring some modern planes given to them by the British, old and outdated.

Poor industrial production was a problem the Italians faced throughout the war, in all sectors. It required most raw materials to be imported, which hurt it when the British were able to close off the Mediterranean, and it had a smaller percentage of its economy dedicated to industry than Czechoslovakia, Hungary, or Sweden.

Declaring war on France was pretty much Italy's biggest mistake in the war. They didnt have the resources to become a great power, but they thought they did.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

bewbies posted:

How did the accuracy of big naval guns compare to rifles? Purely mechanical accuracy I mean.
I'm not sure how to make the comparison meaningfully to be honest. Even adjusting for the differences in distance from target and size of projectile doesn't really capture all the important factors.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I'm not sure how to make the comparison meaningfully to be honest. Even adjusting for the differences in distance from target and size of projectile doesn't really capture all the important factors.

Yep, was going to say much the same thing.

The 16"/50 caliber Mark 7 guns on the Iowa class ships had a range of over 20 miles... and a shell that, depending on type, was between 1900 and 2700 lbs. No clue how you can compare that to a rifle.

EvilMerlin fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 4, 2019

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I would imagine that even though the projectiles are big the ranges involved and the travel times would make them susceptible to inaccuracy issues. But they're also shooting at rather big targets...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

EvilMerlin posted:

Yep, was going to say much the same thing.

The 16"/50 caliber Mark 7 guns on the Iowa class ships had a range of over 20 miles... and a shell that, depending on type, was between 1900 and 2700 lbs. No clue how you can compare that to a rifle.

What was the CEP at that range? Based on that you could do some math and calculate the MOA which would allow you to compare it to a rifle.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I found some blurb about the Iowas that may be totally unreliable...

quote:

For example, during test shoots off Crete in 1987, fifteen shells were fired from 34,000 yards (31,900 m), five from the right gun of each turret. The pattern size was 220 yards (200 m), 0.64% of the total range. 14 out of the 15 landed within 250 yards (230 m) of the center of the pattern and 8 were within 150 yards (140 m). Shell-to-shell dispersion was 123 yards (112 m), 0.36% of total range.

250 yards is like .7 MOA at 34,000 yards. Pretty good!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You measure small arms accuracy in MOA (minute of arc), which is just 1/60th of a degree. As you get to farther ranges, obviously this 1/60th of a degree becomes a bigger circle.

A quality, accurate rifle nowadays would be about 1/2 MOA accuracy, so at 100 yards that works out to about a half inch circle. The same 1/2 MOA accuracy at 2,000 yards would be about a 20" circle.

Naval guns are just big artillery calibers, so if you want to measure the same accuracy circle of things landing and compare it to a rifle you can. I think modern artillery accuracy works out to about 3-4 MOA, so if you're shooting at something 20 miles away you get a 30 foot circle.

I'd imagine they get slightly more accurate as you move up in caliber just because wind affects heavier projectiles less, but other factors probably come into play.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Cyrano4747 posted:

What was the CEP at that range? Based on that you could do some math and calculate the MOA which would allow you to compare it to a rifle.

There is a read on it here. I'll admit its a bit above my head.

http://ww2f.com/threads/bb-main-gun-accuracy.43034/

They could put their shells in pattern or group that was 1.9% of the range in WWII. So range is 41,622 yards.

So the maths say, CEP seems to be about 790 yards.

Lets take a standard M4. Which at 100 yards is 4MOA. 1MOA = 1.047 inches at 100 yards.

So some more maths says that to shoot like that at 41622 yards, the rifle would actually be more accurate (435y CEP???)

EvilMerlin fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 4, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I’ll just note that half a MOA is beyond “quality accurate”. That’s a high end rifle. 1 MOA is pretty much the gold standard for “good”

To put it into perspective the acceptance requirement for M1 Garands was in the 3-4 MOA ballpark. Roughly similar for the K98k.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

EvilMerlin posted:

There is a read on it here. I'll admit its a bit above my head.

http://ww2f.com/threads/bb-main-gun-accuracy.43034/

Looks like from the 1980's the Mk7's were close to 150 yard CEP or there abouts if I'm reading the stuff the Naval Gunfire Spotter posted correctly.

At what range? Need that to calculate the MOA

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Cyrano4747 posted:

At what range? Need that to calculate the MOA

Yeah I updated, my initial numbers were hosed based off of modern-ish rangefinder computers...

Hey but thats all a moot point.

The Mk7's could fire the W32 shell. A nuclear fucker. 15-20kt.

Say its 20kt... Over NY. The fireball itselff is 200m. and the kill blast radius is .76km with much death out to 2.21km...

EvilMerlin fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 4, 2019

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I kind of feel like the last few posts are supporting my contention that this is much more of an apples and oranges comparison than it first appears.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nebakenezzer posted:

I want to hear about

trucks in war

Can I just repost my truck posts from way back when?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Pryor on Fire posted:

You measure small arms accuracy in MOA (minute of arc), which is just 1/60th of a degree. As you get to farther ranges, obviously this 1/60th of a degree becomes a bigger circle.

A quality, accurate rifle nowadays would be about 1/2 MOA accuracy, so at 100 yards that works out to about a half inch circle. The same 1/2 MOA accuracy at 2,000 yards would be about a 20" circle.

Naval guns are just big artillery calibers, so if you want to measure the same accuracy circle of things landing and compare it to a rifle you can. I think modern artillery accuracy works out to about 3-4 MOA, so if you're shooting at something 20 miles away you get a 30 foot circle.

I'd imagine they get slightly more accurate as you move up in caliber just because wind affects heavier projectiles less, but other factors probably come into play.

You can't compare two angular dispersion figures (like Minute-of-Arc) made at different ranges to each other, because the angular dispersion increases with range. There's also a very important distinction between accuracy (how close your shots land to what you're trying to hit) and precision (how close your shots land to each other) that often isn't made when reporting dispersion (the Iowas in Greece mentioned above have impressive precision, but little is said about the accuracy).

Additionally, MOA is often calculated from the "group size", which is a very inaccurate way to measure dispersion, and worse yet, usually made with very small groups of just a handful of shots (at worst, just 3!) which introduces a significant sampling bias into the process.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

LatwPIAT posted:

You can't compare two angular dispersion figures (like Minute-of-Arc) made at different ranges to each other, because the angular dispersion increases with range. There's also a very important distinction between accuracy (how close your shots land to what you're trying to hit) and precision (how close your shots land to each other) that often isn't made when reporting dispersion (the Iowas in Greece mentioned above have impressive precision, but little is said about the accuracy).

Additionally, MOA is often calculated from the "group size", which is a very inaccurate way to measure dispersion, and worse yet, usually made with very small groups of just a handful of shots (at worst, just 3!) which introduces a significant sampling bias into the process.

We can use the older system used by big guns called sheafs (I think that is the proper term) for group and group dispersion for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EvilMerlin posted:

for example...

Fiat G.50

:yikes: