Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

An intriguing, previously unknown 13th-century version of a tale featuring Merlin and King Arthur has been discovered in the archives of Bristol central library.

The seven handwritten fragments of parchment were unearthed bound inside an unrelated volume of the work of a 15th- century French scholar.

Written in Old French, they tell the story of the Battle of Trèbes, in which Merlin inspires Arthur’s forces with a stirring speech and leads a charge using Sir Kay’s special dragon standard, which breathes real fire.

The fragments are believed to be a version of the Estoire de Merlin – the story of Merlin – from the Old French sequence of texts known as the Vulgate Cycle or the Lancelot-Grail Cycle.

Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you
Read more
Other versions of the cycle are known but this one features subtly different details. For example, different characters are responsible for leading the four divisions of Arthur’s forces.

In addition, in other versions, Arthur and Merlin’s enemy, King Claudas, is wounded on the thigh, while in the newly discovered fragments the nature of the injury is not specified. This may lead to a new interpretation of the text as upper-leg injuries are often used as metaphors for impotence or castration.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/jan/30/undiscovered-merlin-tale-fragments-found-in-bristol-archives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

you think it's crazy when some notes or rough manuscript of a 20th century writer turns up, and then this goes and happens. wonder what other random fragments or palimpsests are lost to time.

Malory's good yeah? is there a recommended translation in tyool 2019?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

my bony fealty posted:

you think it's crazy when some notes or rough manuscript of a 20th century writer turns up, and then this goes and happens. wonder what other random fragments or palimpsests are lost to time.

Malory's good yeah? is there a recommended translation in tyool 2019?

I have you covered

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617881

vv he's stil kindof a slog though VV

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 7, 2019

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
you dont need a translation of malory, he's modern english, its just that the spellings are a bit funny

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

in my ignorance I assumed it was in French :downs: will pick it up from the library then. Lets make that King Arthur thread active again. Gonna dig up the Arthur tales by John Steinbeck I have somewhere.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

in my ignorance I assumed it was in French :downs: will pick it up from the library then. Lets make that King Arthur thread active again. Gonna dig up the Arthur tales by John Steinbeck I have somewhere.

You might be thinking of Chretien de Troyes (or, as we hepcats call him, Chris Detroit), who wrote on Arthurian subjects as well.

Steinbeck's adaptation is quite good too.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Has anyone read the Drenai series? Somebody told me I should read it and it sounds awful. Is it awful or good? Can anybody tell me more about it without spoilers?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Has anyone read the Drenai series? Somebody told me I should read it and it sounds awful. Is it awful or good? Can anybody tell me more about it without spoilers?

I read the first book and it didn't at all make me want to read the rest. It was pretty boilerplate and unremarkable, so unless the rest of the series is somehow much more remarkable I can't see myself ever reading it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MockingQuantum posted:

I read the first book and it didn't at all make me want to read the rest. It was pretty boilerplate and unremarkable, so unless the rest of the series is somehow much more remarkable I can't see myself ever reading it.

David Gemmell starts repeating himself pretty quickly, so no.

OP: read Legend and if you don't think it's amazing stop reading the series there.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
happy valentines day

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

pikachode posted:

happy valentines day

I wish you and your new boyfriend Ligotti well today

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

pikachode posted:

happy valentines day

For reading today, I recommend the greatest love story ever written: Norman Mailer's The Executioner's Song.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Thanks for the responses about the Drenai series.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

For reading today, I recommend the greatest love story ever written: Babyfucker

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is there a TBB discord channel at all?

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i refuse to chat because to chat is to clique and to clique is to seal off the airflow of ideology

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
let me remain what i am, a prophet haranguing passersby at random, unaffiliated, unadorned

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
you know back in 2006 (i was sixteen) i read a story on fictionpress.com about a man who got advance warning of the zombie apocalypse via somethingawful. it was long before i became a goon and at the time i thought it was stupid, but there have been several actual near-apocalypses since then that i did in fact follow through these forums, and when the big one (thermonuclear war and/or runaway bioweapon) happens i will probably in fact find out about it through these forums, and sometimes i think of that long-deleted fictionpress story (which wasn't very good) and laugh

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
my other statement is that leonard cohen, bob dylan and jim croce were a holy trio. croce the convert died young in a collision with a pecan tree, but his love was so deep and so sweet that like a mango in summer it could never survive. if he'd lived to eighty he would have stood on cohen and dylan's divine pedestal. dylan went into hiding young. cohen stayed out in the world but now he's gone. who's going to replace him? who knows

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pikachode posted:

you know back in 2006 (i was sixteen) i read a story on fictionpress.com about a man who got advance warning of the zombie apocalypse via somethingawful. it was long before i became a goon and at the time i thought it was stupid, but there have been several actual near-apocalypses since then that i did in fact follow through these forums, and when the big one (thermonuclear war and/or runaway bioweapon) happens i will probably in fact find out about it through these forums, and sometimes i think of that long-deleted fictionpress story (which wasn't very good) and laugh

truth is stranger than fiction addendum: but not fan fiction

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i want to be in a clique. can we make a clique & have clique tags. the tags should just say "free botl"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"How was I supposed to know that the ghostwriters I hired were plagiarizing others' works?"

https://twitter.com/CrisSerruya/status/1097861567205593088

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

People who learn Latin from standard educational institutions, whats the range of writings they can fully understand? Can they understand latin from the first century BC to the 16th century? Or is it narrow like our english where anything written before the 17th century is mostly unreadable.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
when you study latin you'll study classical latin, but you can generally grasp later medieval latin pretty decently. medieval latin is actually much easier than classical latin, in most cases. there are a lot of reasons for this, but the fact that word order becomes semi-standardized is a big part of it. some of the spellings become a bit wonky and there are some other complications but generally the grammar trends towards simplification.

e: also if you can't read anything in english before the 17th century then you're probably dumb, sorry. there's no reason that a modern english speaker couldn't patiently make his way through chaucer, let alone shakespeare or spenser.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 24, 2019

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i tried to read shakespeare's julius caesar, but for mine own part it was Greek to me

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Davros1 posted:

"How was I supposed to know that the ghostwriters I hired were plagiarizing others' works?"

https://twitter.com/CrisSerruya/status/1097861567205593088

It is really loving easy to check. Goddamn.

Everything I ever apply for has sirens, bells, and whistles screaming about no plagiarizing and it makes me nuts. Just write original poo poo.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i played a lot of ultima online as a teenager and can speak quite fluent middle english because the most hardcore roleplayers were usually unemployed medieval history majors and it was basically their mother tongue

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
oooooooh

https://www.facebook.com/bibliothequebnf/posts/10156340700702880

http://classes.bnf.fr/livre/livres/iskandar/index.htm

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

There’s a Name of the Rose miniseries on Italian TV. The first episode just aired and John Turturro plays William of Baskerville. The Italian critics say it’s heavily themed around the current Italian political slide into full-on fascism. Hope one of the streaming services picks it up soon since I don’t have RAI at the moment.

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 5, 2019

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

That's fantastic, I would like to see more adaptations of Eco. I recall the 80s movie being serviceable if unremarkable. Give me a big budget Baudolino mini-series. I imagine the man himself would have been ok with a NotR series carrying explicit anti fascist themes.

I started The Island of the Day Before yesterday and it's good, mystical in the Eco way.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What are some good book/literature podcasts?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Ironic reading or legit reading

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Legit reading.

None of that "Let's Read Dumb poo poo For Fun" stuff.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m not a monster for giving up on a book, right? I loved The Shining and was excited to get into Doctor Sleep but I’m just not into it and I’m not reading as much as I did with other books.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rolo posted:

I’m not a monster for giving up on a book, right? I loved The Shining and was excited to get into Doctor Sleep but I’m just not into it and I’m not reading as much as I did with other books.

Life is too short to read bad books/books you aren't into. My enjoyment of books in general has skyrocketed since I gave myself permission to drop books that weren't doing it for me. I know that sounds like a stupid problem to have but I blame the way I was taught lit in junior high/high school (the "decypher these symbols and motifs and themes so you can unlock the book and absorb its One True Interpretation" method). I've read a lot of books that were just a waste of time mostly due to sunk cost fallacy. I'm glad I've gotten over that.

That said, there are definitely books out there that are worth the work and reward perseverance, though of course I can't come up with any off the top of my head.

protip Doctor Sleep isn't one of them. I enjoyed the book but it's kinda weak overall and is tonally nothing like The Shining. Really the only thing it has in common is Danny Torrance and some spoilery stuff, but I otherwise wouldn't call it a "sequel", either in plot or in spirit. Also it has the classic King problem of the ending just kind of happening, messily

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rolo posted:

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law

if it's not fun for you, it's not fun. It's good to try challenging yourself sometimes but if you're not gonna finish it you're better off switching to a different book you'd actually read instead.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm also much more likely to put a book down temporarily if I'm not in the right mindset for it, especially if the book deserves a little more attention than I can give it. I started reading Rebecca around the holidays and while I was enjoying it, I felt like I was blowing through it a little too quickly purely because I was busy, so I put it down and just started reading it again. I think it was a good choice, and I feel like I'm getting more out of the book now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Doctor Sleep sucks, feel free to drop it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I don’t mind a book that’s a little work, I loved the Dostoevsky books I’ve read, but reading Stephen King was supposed to be the equivalent of a Taco Bell meal and this one isn’t keeping me entertained.

I’m just gonna read something by Vonnegut because he gives me my “easy book” fix and also makes me smile a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rolo posted:

Yeah I don’t mind a book that’s a little work, I loved the Dostoevsky books I’ve read, but reading Stephen King was supposed to be the equivalent of a Taco Bell meal and this one isn’t keeping me entertained.

I’m just gonna read something by Vonnegut because he gives me my “easy book” fix and also makes me smile a lot.

The later you get into King's output the more the books become him exorcising his substance abuse problems (Doctor Sleep) or fixating on physical issues after getting hit by a car (Dreamcatcher) or reminiscing about how great things used to be back in the day when he was younger (all of them) and all these things tend to make his later books kind of ponderous and hard to enjoy at length. I think he had his best "cheeseburger and fries" kind of books, to use his own terminology, much earlier in his career.