Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that's not true and I have proof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

that's not true and I have proof

elon and the sexy SEC agent roleplay, eh

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

it blows my mind that the B-52 will be in service for a hundred years

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Theory posted:

The absolute state of electric cars is a loving joke.
LMAO I mean sure but why would she try it and why would you let her.

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

"my girlfriend used an electric car in the absolute worst scenario for using an electric car"

big scary monsters posted:

temperatures of -5C and 200km trips are not really a weird or unusual thing to expect your car to be able to deal with in many parts of the world that would like to be able to use electric cars
A modern EV would be fine but an e-smart is exclusively a city/commute runabout. It's got half the range of her planned trip and the "rapid" charge takes 2+ hours. It's like hopping into an outboard dinghy with no spare gas to make the Dover-Calais crossing.

infernal machines posted:

cue some AI reading dipshit going :goonsay: ICE cars lose efficiency in the cold too you know! like it's in any way relevant
I mean you laugh but I've seen *so many* RVs/caravan-towing cars stuck on the side of mountain passes. Non-turbo cars tuned at sea level make zero power at altitude.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 18, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

evil_bunnY posted:

LMAO I mean sure but why would she try it and why would you let her.

A modern EV would be fine but an e-smart is exclusively a city/commute runabout. It's got half the range of her planned trip and the "rapid" charge takes 2+ hours. It's like hopping into an outboard dinghy with no spare gas to make the Dover-Calais crossing.

I mean you laugh but I've seen *so many* RVs/caravan-towing cars stuck on the side of mountain passes. Non-turbo cars tuned at sea level make zero power at altitude.

Which is interesting because the makers these days are starting to move toward smaller, but turbocharged, engines. A small turbo will spool up practically instantly.

Apropos of nothing, production diesel locomotives have been turbocharged in the States since 1962 with the introduction of the GP20. Given that every Class I railroad these days, except maybe Kansas City Southern, crosses mountains, and a majority did back in the day as well, turbocharged diesels swiftly took over. EMD did offer "naturally aspirated" engines (they were roots blown, but it's a 2-stroke diesel) for a long period after that, but they swiftly fell out of vogue post GP/SD38. So yeah, locomotive makers figured out that turbocharging was needed for passes long ago.

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 18, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

iospace posted:

Which is interesting because the makers these days are starting to move toward smaller, but turbocharged, engines. A small turbo will spool up practically instantly.

Apropos of nothing, production diesel locomotives have been turbocharged in the States since 1962 with the introduction of the GP20. Given that every Class I railroad these days, except maybe Kansas City Southern, crosses mountains, and a majority did back in the day as well, turbocharged diesels swiftly took over. EMD did offer "naturally aspirated" engines (they were roots blown, but it's a 2-stroke diesel) for a long period after that, but they swiftly fell out of vogue post GP/SD38. So yeah, locomotive makers figured out that turbocharging was needed for passes long ago.

why was a turbocharged solution better than the supercharged 2-stroke

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

less poo poo hanging off the driveshaft wasting energy when not necessary

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

less poo poo hanging off the driveshaft wasting energy when not necessary

how does this specifically help at altitude

not being snarky, i am actually curious

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

less infighting between clarence carter and billy squier

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how does this specifically help at altitude

not being snarky, i am actually curious

there’s less air at altitude and if you have some kind of air compressor between atmosphere and the manifold you can put more air in the cylinder

a turbo is powered by exhaust and if there’s not much of that it just kinda windmills

a supercharger is hooked right up to the crankshaft and is always compressing air if the engine is turning

turbos are a lot simpler which is why they’re on any forced induction car that’s not the top end corvette or something

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chris Knight posted:

less infighting between clarence carter and billy squier

lol

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Cocoa Crispies posted:

turbos are a lot simpler which is why they’re on any forced induction car that’s not the top end corvette or something

yeah this is wrong

Turbochargers are hella complex and the reason we see them fielded so heavily nowadays is because a lot of the development work is outsourced to the Turbo OEMs.

In the Era of WW2 piston flight, where the power benefits of a turbo charger could mean the difference between aerial victory or defeat, Aircraft engines were still sporting Centrifugal superchargers because thats about as good as engineerig got back then. The pairing tri force of Combustion Engine, Compressor and Turbine at the incredible exhaust gas temperatures of a Gas Powered Engine was too much for that defining time of Piston Engines and it remains a challenge all the way up to today.

A Roots Blower is a comparatively simple machine and can be paired to an engine with one page of hand calculations and maybe a diagramm, if not just a stats card.

A centrifugal supercharger is already a league more complex and a Turbo requires excessive studies of Fluid dynamics and Thermodynamics to merely comprehend enough to judge a proper selection. Let alone design one.

The roots blower is antique. The Centrifugal supercharger is a remain of times when OEMs were afraid of the exhaust gas temps and too cheap to invest into heavy cooling and sensoring. Its celebrating a resurrection currently with some OEMs due to the ability of providing adequate low end boost with 48V electrically driven Superchargers before a bigger turbo spools.

The advantages of turbo chargers are very simple and immense. you get the compression work for free. A Supercharger will consume up to 20% of your engine Power to do the same. The cost is its complexity and agony of forever being slaved to exhaust gas temperatures, which will ruin your high power efficiency especially with modern, downsized powertrains.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 19, 2019

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
my supercharged AMG benz had an electromagnetic clutch that could engage or disengage the supercharger

quote:

The Lysholm compressor, conceived by a true unsung hero of 20th century engineering, Alf Lysholm, 1893-1973 (he also pioneered in gas turbines and torque converters), uses two counter-rotating screws, male and female. Vaguely resembling worm gears, they seize the air and squeeze it into the case axially. The result: The Lysholm is some 15 percent more thermally efficient, and 5 percent to 10 percent more volumetrically efficient than a Roots blower. But until a few years ago, the Lysholm’s complex rotor profiles, with some 700 critical reference points, were too difficult and expensive to mass-produce. With the latest manufacturing techniques, not any more. Those in the E55 are precision aluminum castings, coated with Teflon. At a crank speed of 6100 rpm, the E55’s Lysholm rotates at approximately 23,000 rpm, and coupled to an air/water intercooler with its own coolant system, produces 11.6 psi of boost for a maximum output of 469 hp. The normally aspirated 5.5-liter AMG V8 produces 349 hp, in an otherwise similar state of tune. There is a 34 percent increase in max power, but that is only part of the story. Thanks in part to the blower, there is 516 lb-ft of torque on call (100 more than the 444-hp Audi RS6 turbo). And it is there from 2650 rpm all the way to 4000 rpm. If you run the numbers, that torque equates to 235 psi of mean effective pressure over that entire range. (And the need for that ribbed crankcase sinks in.) At no point from 1500 rpm to 6000 rpm does torque ever fall below 410 lb-ft, and by 4000 rpm there is already over 400 hp on tap.

That Kompressor badge on the front quarter- panel denotes a Lysholm supercharger forcing air into the V8; it takes four big tailpipes to let it out.
Mercedes-AMG has dodged the one major tradeoff of the Lysholm—high drive losses at low boost—by incorporating an electromagnetic clutch on the blower’s belt drive pulley. The supercharger is engaged only when commanded by the engine’s electronic control system, as it meanwhile meters fuel for any possible combination of speed and load, to a degree of precision that would have been considered supernatural only a few years ago. And that is how you get 469 well-mannered, sedan-type horsepower out of an ordinary 5.5-liter V8.

but yeah modern turbocharging has supplanted supercharging in all but a few niche cars (the GM LT4 and LT5 and the twin-charged Volvo engines are all I can think of atm)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

turbochargers use the exhaust heat and pressure to compress the intake charge, which means that you get the compression for free, since it's otherwise just blowing out the back. (there are a few slight inefficiencies in the exhaust scavenging but it's not really significant). they obviously run super hot and at super high RPM and as such are delicate machines.

superchargers use engine power directly to compress the charge, being basically just a mechanical compressor driven off the crankshaft. the supercharger on a P-51's merlin engine takes 250 horsepower to run just by itself, but boosts the engine by more than that much, so it's still a net benefit. but you're still burning 1350hp worth of fuel to get 1100hp out so it's less efficient than the turbo method.

superchargers are used because they're simpler to install and they start working instantly whenever the engine is spinning. turbochargers are more efficient and develop more power the harder you push them, but they're harder to design and install because of the metallurgy and exhaust routing and whatnot, and until recent developments there would be a noticeable lag in power delivery as exhaust pressure built up and got the turbine spinning.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8diCicc3yw

the sound like firecrackers that you hear in this video is a turbo anti-lag system. this system deliberately misfires the engine when it's close to idle, dumping unburned fuel into the exhaust manifold, where it ignites and keeps the turbine spinning. this means that it's already at operating speed and producing full boost when the driver floors the pedal. the only side effects are that it sounds like a machine gun and fire comes out of your exhaust and if you do it too long also turbocharger parts will come out too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pretty much all of the above, and the EMD turbos were actually hybrids. They'd be engine driven at low RPM, since 2 stroke diesels do not pull in enough air themselves. Once the RPMs got to a certain point, the clutch would disengage and it would operate as a normal turbo.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

the sound like firecrackers that you hear in this video is a turbo anti-lag system. this system deliberately misfires the engine when it's close to idle, dumping unburned fuel into the exhaust manifold, where it ignites and keeps the turbine spinning. this means that it's already at operating speed and producing full boost when the driver floors the pedal. the only side effects are that it sounds like a machine gun and fire comes out of your exhaust and if you do it too long also turbocharger parts will come out too.

drat they found a way to make rally sound cooler

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

do they ever use electric motors to spin up the fans for anti-lag? seems like it might be a little more reliable long term.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I doubt you'd use an electric motor when you have a perfectly good source of rotational energy already there.

But sometimes you use a clutch mechanism to drive the compressor from the crankshaft when the exhaust pressure isn't high enough to do it on its own.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Shaggar posted:

do they ever use electric motors to spin up the fans for anti-lag? seems like it might be a little more reliable long term.

Formula one does that, yes. But F1 Powertrains are 100% custom made prototypes start to finish

Rally does not, quite simply because there are no adequate available solutions for turbo running gear that incorporates an electric motor and putting said motor near to an 800+°C exhaust gas powered red hot snail house is a much bigger hassle reliability wise than anti lag.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

nice tesla model 2.5

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Agile Vector posted:

nice tesla model 2.5

it's a model <

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shaggar posted:

I believe the latest Acura NSX does something like this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Agile Vector posted:

nice tesla model 2.5

Tesla Model 451

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

Tesla Model 451

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Powershift posted:

Tesla Model 451

hahaha gently caress

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

Tesla Model 451

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ok so we got an entire page about the tradeoffs of turbocharging and supercharging, which i already understood to my satisfaction in automotive applications

what, specifically, about high-altitude locomotive applications made the supercharger + 2-stroke less effective than supercharger + turbocharger + 2-stroke

seems like compressing the air should work pretty drat well in either application, and you would just see higher efficiency from the "hybrid" approach with combined blower + turbocharger

if it was just efficiency i guess that makes some sense. not that diesel was all that expensive back in the day

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Two stroke diesels as a whole are a bit weird when it comes to forced induction since they need it to operate. They can't scavenge properly otherwise. A two stroke diesel with a Roots blower operating below a certain level is considered "naturally aspirated". Even the ones with traditional turbochargers usually have a blower as well because otherwise they'd need an external source of forced air to get started.

The turbocharged Detroit Diesels are actually twincharged by normal four-stroke standards.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

wolrah posted:

Two stroke diesels as a whole are a bit weird when it comes to forced induction since they need it to operate. They can't scavenge properly otherwise. A two stroke diesel with a Roots blower operating below a certain level is considered "naturally aspirated". Even the ones with traditional turbochargers usually have a blower as well because otherwise they'd need an external source of forced air to get started.

The turbocharged Detroit Diesels are actually twincharged by normal four-stroke standards.

this is cool and i did not know this

it makes intuitive sense

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ok so we got an entire page about the tradeoffs of turbocharging and supercharging, which i already understood to my satisfaction in automotive applications

what, specifically, about high-altitude locomotive applications made the supercharger + 2-stroke less effective than supercharger + turbocharger + 2-stroke

seems like compressing the air should work pretty drat well in either application, and you would just see higher efficiency from the "hybrid" approach with combined blower + turbocharger

if it was just efficiency i guess that makes some sense. not that diesel was all that expensive back in the day

It's always the same story. It's less effective to compress air by using engine Power than using waste enegery in the exhaust stream to drive the compressor.

The more you go towards stationary operation, low exhaust Temps (diesel) and continuous high power operation, the more the advantages of a turbo charger are apparent.

Don't just think in efficiency in terms of fuel economy, also think power availability. Having 20 percent less power available because you need to drive a compressor means you can haul 20 percent less weight uphill at the same speed, you can (roughly) only reach 80 percent of the travel speed of the turbo engine.

A transport weight loss of 20 percent can easily eat up your profit margin even if you completely leave aside the fuel economy.

Specifically to the case of 2 stroke engines, they are not self flushing. A four stroke engine will fill and evacuate the cylinder by means of piston motion if left alone. A 2 stroke practically universally has a port controlled intake. The piston is just controlling the opening and closing of the intake port. Without a positive pressure differential between the intake and the cylinder, no charge would flow.

In smaller 2 strokes, this pressure difference is provided by crank case compression below the cylinder (also the reason for the crank case Reed valves)

Crank case compression is very cumbersome because your engine now burns lubricant, you can't use hydro dynamic bearings, your crank cases need to be vacuum isolated for every crank pin, you can't build V engines with a large bank angle, yadda yadda.

Now if you wanna build a good bottom end without all of the disadvantages of crank case compression, you need other means to provide boost and you need to provide boost at every rotation, full load, partial load, idle and cranking. A turbo won't do that.
Running a supercharger is the easy solution. Building a sequential setup where the supercharger is switched off when a large turbo is ready to provide boost is the optimum of both worlds.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

people keep saying that superchargers for large engines take hundreds of horsepower to turn but the trouble with that isn't the energy requirements it is the fact that dealing with that mechanical drive power makes it a pain in the rear end to adjust the ratio of the speed of the supercharger to the speed of the engine. you basically need something along the lines of an automatic car transmission.

check out the Merlin's setup to get two speeds out of its supercharger:

the slow speed would be used at takeoff and once at altitude the supercharger would be switched to the higher speed to better compress the thin air. a locomotive supercharger would need to do similar to handle high altitudes but would face additional complexity because unlike a fighter aircraft engine (which was basically run near or beyond maximum rated power at all times) a locomotive engine needs to be able to handle different loads.

the speed of a turbocharger on the other hand has a bit of a natural compensation (less exhaust back pressure at high altitudes, but very minor really), automatically goes up under load due to higher exhaust temperature/mass/flow, and most importantly can be directly varied by making the turbine more or less efficient at extracting energy from the flow.

that last bit is the really critical advantage and improvement area for turbochargers since about the 50s because it lets you finely adjust the ratio of turbine speed to exhaust flow without dealing with switching the path of hundreds of horsepower. simple designs just allowed excess exhaust to bypass the turbine entirely but that was gradually replaced by setups which adjusted the angle the gas flow hits the turbine blades. a similar thing has been used for hydroelectric turbines since the 1860s, although the calculations involved in setting such a configuration up for a compressible medium like air undergoing large temperature swings are orders of magnitude more complex and handling that flow requires materials which don't erode or melt in a hot exhaust stream.

so basically turbochargers are easier to adjust on the fly than superchargers which makes them more useful for changing conditions. they however require a hell of a lot more design calculations and complex metallurgy which is why they only really started to be a thing at all in the 60 years or so.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Combat Theory posted:

red hot snail house

mods

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What if we designed a cycle that intakes and compresses air, ignites a fuel, and uses a turbine in the exhaust like a turbocharger but, like, that's where all the power goes

Elon I have a disruption idea for the Model 4

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A jet but instead of petrol, you dump in vape batteries and point the apparatus at a firetruck

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Potato salad reinvents the joule cycle and gas turbines

E: f,b

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Potato Salad posted:

What if we designed a cycle that intakes and compresses air, ignites a fuel, and uses a turbine in the exhaust like a turbocharger but, like, that's where all the power goes

but dude, imagine this, the same as what you said, but steam powered.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2A5ijU3Ivs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

and if you go steam, you can even skip the ignition and exhaust part and just use shiny rocks as your heat source