Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lysidas posted:

i really really want a separate do not disturb option of "dont notify me of phone calls from people not in my contacts" which i can leave on indefinitely -- i know the main do not distrub funcytionality can do that but that would require switching do not disturb behavior for meetings/etc. when now i can just turn on "do not disturb until the end of this event" and not have to settings

it would also bother me to see the "calls and notifications will be silenced" banner on the lock screen 24/7 if using the exitsing dnd option for that

you can get rid of it but it comes back the next day

also i want low power mode every time stop asking me

it’s a great feature that could be perfect with a touch of customisation but no

enter low power mode every time phone drops below 69% and doesn’t go back to green until charged up to 420% (like when thor struck ironman with lighting in the first avengers movie)

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

yeah very strange that a telephone acts like a telephone

you're holding it wrong

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ted hitler posted:

This is my daytime LCD TV and this *pushes button*

https://i.imgur.com/g1y1ubz.mp4

is my evening OLED TV

this makes me weak in the knees

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'll buy one of those if they make one where you can adjust the aspect ratio all the way from 4:3 to 21:9

Foldable and rollable OLED is turning out to be way more practical than I expected them to be, but I would still worry about the display degrading over time from material fatigue

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'll buy one of those if they make one where you can adjust the aspect ratio all the way from 4:3 to 21:9

Foldable and rollable OLED is turning out to be way more practical than I expected them to be, but I would still worry about the display degrading over time from material fatigue

that's really a warranty problem, isn't it?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

r u ready to WALK posted:

6:9 and 4:20 resolutions when?

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

perfect iOS photos.app is perfect and anyone who says otherwise is doubtful of Tim Cook.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's really a warranty problem, isn't it?

i cant think of almost any product where I have replaced it around the same time as the warranty runs out

the warranty on this tv is two years, if I ONLY got two years out of it? gently caress dat

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Endless Mike posted:

yeah very strange that a telephone acts like a telephone

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

the phone wasn't even the most useful part of the product in 2007, let alone 2019

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Lysidas posted:

i really really want a separate do not disturb option of "dont notify me of phone calls from people not in my contacts" which i can leave on indefinitely -- i know the main do not distrub funcytionality can do that but that would require switching do not disturb behavior for meetings/etc. when now i can just turn on "do not disturb until the end of this event" and not have to settings

it would also bother me to see the "calls and notifications will be silenced" banner on the lock screen 24/7 if using the exitsing dnd option for that

that would require actually thinking about how end users interact with your product, something apple hasn't cared to do for years

echinopsis posted:

also i want low power mode every time stop asking me

but then you'll miss out on all the cutesy ui animations and won't feel as superior to android users

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

you can get rid of it but it comes back the next day

¿rid of what?

that would require actually thinking about how end users interact with your product, something apple hasn't cared to do for years

actually come to think of it i would also be very happy with a mode that turned phone calls from non-contacts into a banner notification behaving identically to a text -- still show me that it is happening, once, that i can easily ignore without interrupting a podcast or taking over the screen if im doing something

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Lysidas posted:

actually come to think of it i would also be very happy with a mode that turned phone calls from non-contacts into a banner notification behaving identically to a text -- still show me that it is happening, once, that i can easily ignore without interrupting a podcast or taking over the screen if im doing something

a while back i tweeted this exact suggestion at apple's twitter

they told me to work with my carrier and follow their procedure for blocking unwanted numbers, which sounds like pr-speak for "go gently caress yourself"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

tk posted:

I set my default ringtone to a silent tone and no vibration. Gave the handful of people I care about a custom ringtone. Everybody else can go to voicemail.

sure but if you are using the phone the stupid incoming call interface takes over the whole drat screen until you decline the call.

which is not good to do since the programs the robocallers use can tell the difference between the phone not being on (instantly goes to VM), someone declining the call (goes to VM after a few rings), and no interaction at all (goes to VM after lots of rings). sending the robocallers to voicemail by declining the call indicates that someone is there so they call more and sell the number to other robocallers. the effect isn't as great as much as actually answering, but still there.

I was getting a ton of the scam calls until I started just letting it ring until it timed out. it made a pretty large difference.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

I was getting a ton of the scam calls until I started just letting it ring until it timed out. it made a pretty large difference.

i also let it ring until it goes to voicemail, and i still think i get a ton of robocalls, i cant imagine how many i might get if i explicitly declined calls

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Yesterday I got one and it said “AT&T Alert: Telemarketer” which is better but still not as good as them just blocking the drat things.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you have to explicitly opt into all of those things because the phone company does not want to be in the business of censoring your phone calls. afaik doing so would gently caress with their designation as a carrier

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
The earlier we can all switch to WiFi phones, the better.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

infernal machines posted:

you have to explicitly opt into all of those things because the phone company does not want to be in the business of censoring your phone calls. afaik doing so would gently caress with their designation as a carrier

The real solution would be effective laws against spam with sufficient enforcement.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Switzerland posted:

The earlier we can all switch to WiFi phones, the better.

some of us actually go further than 50 feet from our house

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Verizon Wireless said they would be implementing free anti-robocall measures in March. IT'S MARCH NOW VZW WHERE IS IT

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Linguica posted:

Verizon Wireless said they would be implementing free anti-robocall measures in March. IT'S MARCH NOW VZW WHERE IS IT

implementing something "in march" means march 31 aoe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lysidas posted:

¿rid of what?

rid of the do not disturb notification

i have my phone on do not disturb almost all the time so it fucks me off that i see it all the time

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

it's hilarious how badly apple can interpret something like a button

turning off:

normal button -- it's off
apple button -- okay we'll turn that on for you later!

oh and i blocked myself as a caller because it's so easy to spoof myself for robo callers. i guess that'll be okay or something i don't konw

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Linguica posted:

ive gotten like three a day for loving years

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lord funk posted:

it's hilarious how badly apple can interpret something like a button

turning off:

normal button -- it's off
apple button -- okay we'll turn that on for you later!

duuuUUUHHHHHHH BUT SOME PEOPLE WANT IT TURNED ON LATER SO YOU SHOULD CONSIDER THE NEEDS OF OTHERS

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i wouldn't mind that one if it was a tri-state, or if you could long-press to turn it off properly or w/e

now someone's going to tell me it's a force touch feature or something and i'll look even dumber than usual

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

ahhh force touch

let's respond to this message *press* nothing happens *force press* the same message pops forward and nothing happens *press* *force press* *swipe* gently caress ahhhhh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

duuuUUUHHHHHHH BUT SOME PEOPLE WANT IT TURNED ON LATER SO YOU SHOULD CONSIDER THE NEEDS OF OTHERS

i like how much is based around the user experience for the first 2 weeks and not the rest of the life of the user

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

shake to undo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the antenna in the xs is absolute loving garbage

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

lord funk posted:

ahhh force touch

let's respond to this message *press* nothing happens *force press* the same message pops forward and nothing happens *press* *force press* *swipe* gently caress ahhhhh

lol could you imagine being this dumb

Ruffian Price posted:

shake to undo

that is legitimately terrible though

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

my dad tried to use my mbp to check his gmail and was constitutionally incapable of not force-clicking on everything and constantly bringing up dictionary definitions or whatever

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

i like how much is based around the user experience for the first 2 weeks and not the rest of the life of the user

Two weeks? You’re lucky if somebody uses something for more than two days before they ship it.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Ruffian Price posted:

Friendly reminder to connect STB->AVR->TV if you have a surround sound system and want true audio passthrough. Until eARC gains traction as part of the new HDMI version, the ARC connection is just two channels and the TV has to do a lossy re-encode. (This doesn't apply to the Netflix app on LG OLEDs so you can still do TV->AVR if you don't have any set-top boxes)

ehhh i went for the 77” so I will make my peace with lossy arc until I justify a new receiver come Father’s Day or something but for now using the built in apps on the tv and watching the iTunes hdr stuff is p needs suiting

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

lord funk posted:

ahhh force touch

my icons used to be nicely arranged but 3d touch made me gave up trying years ago

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
every iteration of control center has been worse than the last.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my icons used to be nicely arranged but 3d touch made me gave up trying years ago

i honestly do prefer the android method of not rearranging everything for you. i like this icon to be there not just after that

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
i only open apple music once every few weeks becuase I have some stuff in mp3 that isn't on spotify

every drat time I open it there is a slow loading full page ad begging me to try the lovely apple streaming service. No fuckers, I tried it already and it sucked! Stop showing me ads

I hate apple

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i just have those on my icloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I think you meant to write "on my MobileMe"