Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Ask Sarah Hitchcock how much she loves our scheme of first initial last name.

The two most unfortunate usernames I've come across so far in that format are "slutz" and "mostdick". "garbo" was also funny but nowhere near as horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
At $JOB-1, we had a weird username scheme: first two of first name, first four of last name. Legend has it the guy who set up AD originally did this so his username came out to "master" :v:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

‘First initial, last name, optional number for multiples’ resulted in some good ones here: chill@, scary@, dlong1@...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

mllaneza posted:

People need to stop using PII as primary keys and switch to GUIDs loving everywhere.

But that's just my opinion.

The problem with this bit is that many applications use the NameIdentifier as the users email addresses and/or Display Name. This obviously a terrible decision on the developers part and no one wants type in or see babf984eeba0e095a07856aa74df677e as their username.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

just use SSN as usernames easy

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Paul ReiserFS posted:

‘First initial, last name, optional number for multiples’ resulted in some good ones here: chill@, scary@, dlong1@...

I worked with a beastman

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Fellatio del Toro posted:

just use SSN as usernames easy
I am legitimately more comfortable giving out my SSN than my personal cell phone number.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Thanatosian posted:

I am legitimately more comfortable giving out my SSN than my personal cell phone number.

Slightly related.

I have no idea what in the hell is going on but I have over 50+ numbers blocked in my phone because someone keeps trying to sell me health insurance. The do not call list does nothing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've always hoped for a Don Glover to work here. Alas...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Docjowles posted:

The two most unfortunate usernames I've come across so far in that format are "slutz" and "mostdick". "garbo" was also funny but nowhere near as horrible.

I mean, “East Dick” is already kinda funny?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh god I'm applying for a job that still uses Windows Server 2000/2003 :gonk:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

You aren’t. Employee numbers!

Haha.
We many many employees with multiple employee numbers at HR, that all need to link with the same user account.
They have multiple employee numbers because they're working multiple jobs within the org.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do you hate yourself?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My job took everyone out to see Captain Marvel today.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheFace posted:

I worked with a beastman

There was a Mary Orgas who worked in CPS when I was in govt (last name first initial) and being government they refused to change her email alias for some reason until they got complaints from the public.

Her actual username was still orgasm tho

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Manufacturing or just bad at IT?

Cause lol I still have DOS 6.22 stuff that's just now being decommissioned as the machine center in question is finally getting a controls upgrade.

Have piles of Windows Server 2003 and every possible flavor from then on up doing stuff in various places. I'm just happy we're almost there on getting the last of the lovely white boxes sitting under consoles/desks virtualized.

Ask me about network usb hubs holding piles of loving dongles to allow us to virtualize horrible software that still uses them.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You might be able to ask for more money, plenty of candidates have probably seen that and just noped right out of that process.

Or follow their lead and skip on it yourself if that's an option, it's not a good sign for anything else there.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

The problem with this bit is that many applications use the NameIdentifier as the users email addresses and/or Display Name. This obviously a terrible decision on the developers part and no one wants type in or see babf984eeba0e095a07856aa74df677e as their username.

Eh and email addresses are sometimes reused, relying on the x500 to differentiate. The SID is always the way to go internally for a user imo

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Cause lol I still have DOS 6.22 stuff that's just now being decommissioned as the machine center in question is finally getting a controls upgrade.

That beats us, our oldest known machine is Win 3.11

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Have piles of Windows Server 2003 and every possible flavor from then on up doing stuff in various places. I'm just happy we're almost there on getting the last of the lovely white boxes sitting under consoles/desks virtualized.

Ask me about network usb hubs holding piles of loving dongles to allow us to virtualize horrible software that still uses them.

My old job made software for lab testing (chemical, food, petro, meds, etc) and customers had old rear end stuff in the lab and a few Windows 2000 boxes. I'm talking Fortune 100 companies too. Once a lab has their testing procedures down they will NOT change that poo poo for anyone or anything

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Public school system that according to Wikipedia spends less than 3% of their budget on supplies and equipment.

It’s a contract with mediocre pay, but it will pay the bills while I find something else.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 8, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

As fun as it would be to watch, I don't want you to become the next larches

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea but he’s also jobless atm I think so it’s better than nothing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I need a job right the gently caress now if I'm going to make rent this month.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So we've got a bit of a dilemma.

All of our machines are on Windows LTSB.
We bought a new Surface Book 2 with a GTX 1070.
Unfortunately the GTX 1070 drivers are unsupported on Windows 10 LTSB. You have to be on the latest version of Current Branch for that. Whoops, oh well.

Now, we need to buy a desktop/laptop from HP for photo/video editing, and it needs to be reasonably capable. It will be a production machine for the local TV station.
Here's where the problem comes in. We need to recommend something that the IT department will support (HP or Microsoft Surface on Win10 LTSB) but it also needs to be capable (has supported graphics drivers for Win10 LTSB).

How the gently caress do I even go about getting a matrix of what hardware is supported on LTSB? I've tried reaching out to our CDWG sales rep, HP, Microsoft AND Nvidia, but the only one who has responded so far is our sales rep. He basically said "HP won't support it if you install a new OS" which is so far off base from what I'm actually asking that its practically a home run.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Oh oh I'm now in your boat! One client I was given is a manufacturer of some widgts: (I have not smelled so much hydraulic fluid in a while) and they have the same thing, except I think it's to license more than just virtualized software? I dunno, it's some wizardry that was setup by the previous guy.

This company also bought training software from a company that is selling off their assets, it has been fun to setup considering that business consists of the owner and his wife, both of whom after 60+ and are not technical at all.

Thankfully the owner was able to find some guy that installed the software successfully and he gave me the scoop on how to get the shitheap installed and (mostly) working.

Thanks random IT goon, also thank you for your candidness in how awful the software is, I'm sorry my dumb client forwarded it to the software owner, so he knows you would definitely laugh as he got stabbed in a back alley.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So we've got a bit of a dilemma.

I had no idea what Windows LTSB was, so I started reading on it. Why in the world would anyone deploy this unless you were somewhere that had high security requirements or hated your users?

Old Technet Article posted:

Q: Will the devices have Microsoft Office installed?
A: It is not recommended to use Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB on devices that run Microsoft Office or other productivity software.

Q: Will the devices need to run Windows Store apps?
A: The Windows Store is not available in Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB, so if you need to run a Windows Store app, you should not use Windows 10 LTSB on that device.

Q: Will the devices be used to browse the internet?
A: Using a device to browse the internet, for example to access social media or to research a subject through a search engine, is a strong indicator that the device is not a good fit for Windows 10 LTSB.

Q: Is the device your users’ primary computing device?
A: The changing demands of your users may conflict with the static nature of Windows 10 LTSB. For example, they may need to install an app or connect to a new device and find that it is unsupported in their current environment.

WTF?

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Nuclearmonkee posted:

There was a Mary Orgas who worked in CPS when I was in govt (last name first initial) and being government they refused to change her email alias for some reason until they got complaints from the public.

Her actual username was still orgasm tho

OK, this may be the best one so far

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bonzo posted:

My old job made software for lab testing (chemical, food, petro, meds, etc) and customers had old rear end stuff in the lab and a few Windows 2000 boxes. I'm talking Fortune 100 companies too. Once a lab has their testing procedures down they will NOT change that poo poo for anyone or anything

It's not just testing procedures. Once a system has been validated to a specific configuration you have to leave it that way. Unauthorized changes require paperwork that the, in our case, FDA is copied on. When they do an inspection, they spot check systems against their paperwork. Any deviation could result in a fine. The "specific configuration" I mentioned ? Dozens of pages. "Open Local Security Policies, set this setting to this value. Initial the box to show completion. Set this other setting to its correct value. Initial the next box." And yes, that's done on paper. Which is retained for years.

The big benefit of using the LTSB/LTSC for those applications is that if there aren't any patches, some rear end in a top hat in corporate IT in, say, Europe can't push a patch that forces a reboot to lab systems. Which just happened. And resulted in a failed run and lost data. My understanding is that there's a poo poo tsunami working it's way up the hill until it sloshes over and rolls downhill into our corporate masters' laps.

Old systems stay in production until the hardware fails for lots of reasons. The vendor charges $10k to send a tech to reinstall the software sometime next week. The vendor is out of business and you can't reinstall if you gently caress with the OS.

I spoke to a lab manager about an XP system that runs a gas chromatograph earlier this week. Her GC is old, and the control software that runs it doesn't run on Win 7, let alone 10. We could probably pull an unused newer one out of the warehouse (think 'the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark') and get her up to at least 7 and a newer PC to run it on. But a $90,000 gas chromatograph isn't an appliance, it's a platform and takes a few weeks of configuration, calibration, and testing before it can do science for her. That's out of the question. We did get it into the backup system and we got a good image.

I actually spent almost all day dealing with an LTSB issue.

Corporate released a 2.0 of our LTSB image recently and it's had some activation issues. Some bright person in local Engineering decided the best way to test activation issues was to make sure we had 25+1 systems hitting the activation server (don't ask me, something bizarre about Enterprise licensing). All eyes turn to the new guy in the group (me), who happens to have a Centos emu/kvm box in his cube. I grab the .iso and fire up a new VM. Task sequence errors one after the other trying to set up Bitlocker. I fiddle with VM settings, google the error message, and then grab someone who knows the imaging process better than I do. We dig through the logs and I spot "is Fisical" not too far before the Bitlocker failure.

We track down the script that generated that message (HDWarning.ps1) and discover that isVM() is checking against an enumerated list of hypervisors. We already know qemu/kvm on that specific box supports Bitlocker, because I've restored backups that run with it enabled. Time to fix the script. I dump the .iso into a folder and start digging. It's in boot.wmi. .wmi disk images are managed by an exotic, and arcane by any standards, command line tool. I get that image mounted, re-define isVM() to {return $true}. Update and unmount the .wmi and go looking for a tool to turn a folder into a .iso. Every website with a tool for that is blocked by security. I need to get all 20GB onto my Mac and use hdiutil to make the image.

That last bit had just under an hour of file transfers to go when my supervisor drops by and says that someone checked, we've had way more than 25 of the new LTSB systems hit the activation server. Corporate IT pushed an image we didn't have a license for.

I let it finish, I'll want that .iso for testing anyway.

All this, and I'm not even working on validated systems yet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CaptainGimpy posted:

somewhere that had high security requirements

I mean, yeah? There are a lot of specialized use cases out there

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 9, 2019

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thanatosian posted:

You'll need to explain this one to me. Genuinely asking too.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
LTSB is for poo poo like air traffic control and nuclear reactors and poo poo that DOES NOT CHANGE. If you're doing anything that requires the latest and greatest hardware then by definition you're not doing something that should be LTSB.

Get current stay current.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

LTSB is for poo poo like air traffic control and nuclear reactors and poo poo that DOES NOT CHANGE. If you're doing anything that requires the latest and greatest hardware then by definition you're not doing something that should be LTSB.

Get current stay current.

So why not embedded/IoT at that point?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Workstations that air traffic controllers and nuclear engineers use to interface with those systems, not, like, the hardware actually running them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

With an SSN you can ruin my credit. With my cell phone number, you can literally take over my entire life thanks to it being used to validate identity online these days.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Workstations that air traffic controllers and nuclear engineers use to interface with those systems, not, like, the hardware actually running them.

Yeah a lot of aerospace/space stuff uses LTSB.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Opportunity finally died because it had forced updates start to download even tho they specifically clicked "do not ask me again about this update," having killed it's battery

do you know how expensive data is to Mars? cripes...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

So, for someone wanting to steal your identity, the social security number is probably more useful. The semi-sardonic answer is "because it's a lot easier to change your social security number" (which is probably true). But for someone who just wants to build out a profile of you--your Facebooks and your Googles--the cell phone number is really the gold mine. Sure, your social security number is attached to your credit card, but only through your financial institution. However, most of the time when you buy something, the merchant will use your phone number as an identity-verification factor (since it's one of the things they can use with the card processors to confirm identity). You probably also have that same number used in your Facebook account (a place you almost certainly don't have your social security number), or you have Facebook Messenger downloaded onto your phone, or you have Twitter. Trying to work from name can be a bitch, because names aren't unique, but cell phone numbers are, and using that number and data purchased from merchants and card processors, you can tie your shopping to your Facebook or Twitter account. You probably also use your cell phone number as your contact number with your ISP. So, now, these companies can tie that to your web-browsing, which is legal for the ISPs to sell to them in the US since the Republicans did their work while they had a majority in both houses of Congress.

Right now, a lot of this is hard to pick through and individualize, just because there's so much of it, but as AIs get better and better, I think it's going to become more and more of a problem. Of course, I don't think cell phone numbers are the only way they can tie all this data to you, but it certainly makes it a whole hell of a lot easier. This is probably just paranoid ranting from an old man, though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CaptainGimpy posted:

I had no idea what Windows LTSB was, so I started reading on it. Why in the world would anyone deploy this unless you were somewhere that had high security requirements or hated your users?

WTF?

I work for a financial institution (or "FI," for short). Since connecting to the cloud presents significant regulatory complications for us, and most of our systems went through major upgrades in the last few years, we didn't use the cloud (we use it for more things now, but definitely host a ton more stuff on-prem than probably most other businesses do). We run Windows 10 LTSB builds as our primary workstation images. In answer to those concerns:

quote:

Q: Will the devices have Microsoft Office installed?
A: It is not recommended to use Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB on devices that run Microsoft Office or other productivity software.

I have noticed no significant issues running Office on the LTSB over a standard Home or Pro edition of Windows. We run Word, Excel, Outlook (that we use with an on-prem Exchange server), Access (including ODBC connections), and PowerPoint all the goddamn time. We were running into hiccups with Outlook for awhile, but getting an archiver and getting rid of PSTs has solved most of those (it was, IMO, simply the standard issues you get running PSTs over networked storage; I just didn't want to ignore it in favor of full disclosure). We run a ten-year-old version of Monarch on a handful of our computers with no more issues than you'd have on any other Windows machine. We have no more issue using our industry-specific software than we would on normal Windows, as far as I can tell (some of our software is lovely, and the problems we run into have been pretty typical from other FIs I talk to at conferences).

quote:

Q: Will the devices need to run Windows Store apps?
A: The Windows Store is not available in Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB, so if you need to run a Windows Store app, you should not use Windows 10 LTSB on that device.
Yeah, this is 100% true. We don't use any Windows store apps. It also doesn't have Cortana, or Edge. Strangely, I do not feel we have really suffered as an institution for lack of Cortana, Edge, or all that loving bullshit Candy Crush/other Microsoft store app advertising Microsoft shoves down your throat at every opportunity. When we first looked at Windows 10, we used a standard edition of the OS, and had simply blocked Windows Store access via Group Policy. It made for a really lovely user experience (error messages any time you click on a store app), and no way to get rid of the store). The two big issues we ran into with this were the Calculator, and the Photo Viewer. However, if you block the Windows Store, the Calculator and Photo Viewer don't work, anyway, because how in the world could you possibly design a calculator or photo viewer app that doesn't call papa Microsoft over the internet every so often? The answer is you have to use the Windows 7 versions of both apps. Calculator was relatively easy, photo viewer took some doing, and iirc involved a bunch of registry changes to unlock the ability to set it as the default photo viewer for most image file types, and an XML file import via Group Policy to actually change those settings. This is probably the single biggest frustration of the LTSB over the traditional versions, but it wasn't that bad.

quote:

Q: Will the devices be used to browse the internet?
A: Using a device to browse the internet, for example to access social media or to research a subject through a search engine, is a strong indicator that the device is not a good fit for Windows 10 LTSB.
Social media works fine. The internet works fine, as long as you don't have a driving need to use Edge or Cortana. Internet Explorer... well, is Internet Explorer. Chrome works fine. Firefox works fine (at least it did until we switched to Chrome for its easier management via policy a couple of years ago). Non-Windows-store web-based apps work fine. Active Directory--including additional, optional features like LAPS, and stored Bitlocker codes--works just fine. Speaking of Bitlocker, it also works just fine. Office 365 works fine. Like, we use Office 365 accounts to separate out our board from the rest of the institution, and we administrate that through our PCs. VPN works fine (we use Global Protect, I suspect other VPNs would work fine, too). Online shopping works fine (I booked tickets for a work trip earlier today). Sharepoint works fine. Old-school ActiveX-controller-driven-bullshit-you-have-to-use-Internet-Explorer-for-this applications work fine. Hell, even Microsoft easy fixes run on it just fine.

quote:

Q: Is the device your users’ primary computing device?
A: The changing demands of your users may conflict with the static nature of Windows 10 LTSB. For example, they may need to install an app or connect to a new device and find that it is unsupported in their current environment.
So, what they mean here by "changing demands" are "do your users really need Picture-in-Picture, or Dynamic Lock, or faster Windows Hello, then yeah, you're going to miss out on that with the LTSB, because it just simply doesn't pull down the major feature changes. However... since you're reading this thread, that means you're probably in IT, so I have some good news for you when it comes to the LTSB: it doesn't pull down major feature changes. It makes for a way more stable environment. And they still offer all security patches for it. Since switching to the LTSB about two years ago, at no point have we run into any application that isn't Windows store app that won't run on the LTSB just fine.

It's Windows without the bullshit. This is the edition they really, really should have released as the Enterprise Edition, or some sort of business "I don't want your loving Candy Crush" edition. It wouldn't surprise me if they had originally intended that, but then realized they wouldn't be able to push "Windows as a service" nearly as hard with an edition out there that didn't force Cortana and the Windows Store on everyone. The reason they say "oh, Office won't work on it, and it won't navigate the internet, and most software won't work on it," is because they don't want you cutting that Microsoft Store cord.

The other major issue we ran into with the LTSB is that the 2015 LTSB build did not play nice with Surfaces (either Books or Pros), but the 2016 edition does just fine.

And I just realized that if I go work anywhere else, they'll probably be using Enterprise Edition or Pro, and goddammit, gently caress that. Guess I'm sticking around here for awhile longer (I like my job, it's fine). I also recognize that my experience is limited to my particular environment, so it's very possible that other places have very different experiences, but the doom and gloom Microsoft is spouting here is really just marketing scaremongering.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Don’t run LTSB like this. It’s not what it was created for. It’s like those people enabling the embedded edition updates for XP after support ended to keep using it instead of 7 :gonk:

Adapt or die. It’s much easier to block unwanted egress at the firewall than to roll out hundreds of desktops running a not really supported OS.