Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Speaking of, the book version of Shadows is hot garbage people have fond memories of because they haven't gone back and read it since they were teens.

Like 80% of it by volume is spent focusing on the bad guy(who is a date rapist lizard man) being smug about his brilliant plans and the remainder of it is a weird and misogynist portrayal of Princess Leia

People want to make date rapist lizard man canon again and it's like, dude, no, Thrawn being canon was semi-okay but this is a bridge too far

I still like Dollar Store Han Solo, Dash Rendar; simply because he is so goofy and one-note and looks like Rowsdower from Final Sacrifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

I played endless weekends of Teras Kasi with my brother and friends and that was a terrible loving game. Worse than the Episode 1 beat em up one.

I don't really know if I can ever bring myself to consider it "terrible" because my friends and I had fun with it, but I won't claim it's a great game. Though it did have its moments, like one time winning a fight as Luke in the Dagobah stage, he does his post-win pose and quote, then falls into the swamp because he got positioned to ring-out after the fight. Or stuff like Darth Vader being able to dodge projectile weapons (because The Force), but if you used Han's seeker shot attack Vader just shuffles back and forth to dodge shots going over his head...which then turn right around and smack him in the back. Or debates whether Luke's pallette swap that puts him in ROTJ attire makes him more powerful than his default (because nerds).

And also a Tusken Raider named "Hoar" because what the gently caress are we even doing.

Speaking of, the book version of Shadows is hot garbage people have fond memories of because they haven't gone back and read it since they were teens.

Like 80% of it by volume is spent focusing on the bad guy(who is a date rapist lizard man) being smug about his brilliant plans and the remainder of it is a weird and misogynist portrayal of Princess Leia

People want to make date rapist lizard man canon again and it's like, dude, no, Thrawn being canon was semi-okay but this is a bridge too far

I know Xizor is allegedly supposed to be a reptilian alien but he looks more like someone saw The Mandarin from the Iron Man cartoons that were on at the time and was like "what if that, but in space". So he's more like a Date Rapist Yellow Peril Man. Getting super turbomurdered by Luke + Friends and also Vader is barely good enough for him.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

enigmahfc posted:

I still like Dollar Store Han Solo, Dash Rendar; simply because he is so goofy and one-note and looks like Rowsdower from Final Sacrifice.

Which planet would be Canada?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

enigmahfc posted:

Dash Rendar is the Dennis Quaid of the Star Wars universe.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Naboo. Plenty of forestry, swampland, beautiful waters (if you're in BC), and the people have a democratic government but also a queen for some reason. Also environmentally conscious (unless you're from Alberta) and nominally peaceful.

"I wonder if there's beer in the core?"

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Iron Crowned posted:

Dantooine, because it's far too remote to be of any importance.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 15, 2019

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

The Expounded Universe series on Shadows is definitely worth a listen and very Gleep-Glossaryesque.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

It is hilarious how many times one of the main characters takes a moment to be amazed at how much Dash Rendar reminds them of Han Solo in Shadows of the Empire.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Soup du Jour posted:

The Expounded Universe series on Shadows is definitely worth a listen and very Gleep-Glossaryesque.

Yeah, that was a fantastic series. I'm currently working through their Crystal Star episodes, but it's not quite as good because Crystal Star isn't as insanely bad as Shadows, it's just a boring book.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Liberal Idiot posted:

It is hilarious how many times one of the main characters takes a moment to be amazed at how much Dash Rendar reminds them of Han Solo in Shadows of the Empire.

"Ace Solo, what a guy" :v:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

"Ace Solo, what a guy" :v:

Dash Rendar is the result of the timeline where Jek Porkins convinced his mother to let him start school a year later.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Soup du Jour posted:

I just want to thank this thread for introducing me to this podcast.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Nouvelle Vague posted:

I just want to thank this thread for introducing me to this podcast.

One of the hosts is actually a goon.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I kinda want the guys to talk more about videogames.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GrandpaPants posted:

:yossame:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I enjoyed the PSX demo disk talk. I had the exact same one. It also had a mech game and Cart World Series that never ended unless you passed the finish line. So, I would just drive backwards and crash into everyone.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Eric admitting that his wife was going to kill him for not remembering a Game of Thrones character was a nice little touch :3:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

GoutPatrol posted:

Does the gleep glossary say that Dugs have more fast twitch muscle fibers so that's why their natural podracers?

Episode I could have been saved if Obi-Wan had just confronted Sebulba and said "a dug? hey, I you a hole once, snrrrrk" and jetpacked away.

Shadows is one of those games that was rad as gently caress in 1997 but is loving unplayable now. If they ever make "Dash Rendar: A Star Wars Story" (lol Dash Rendarrrrrrr) he should be played by Shia Lebeouf.

Iron Crowned posted:

IF you're not subscribing to the patreon, you really should, Lara Croft Tomb Raider is a great ep.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOH
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOH
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOH

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SotE definitely hasn’t aged well beyond that first stage. Early 3D platforming basically sucks rear end outside of Super Mario 64

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

That one stage that took like an hour didn't age well by the second time you played it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

duz posted:

That one stage that took like an hour didn't age well by the second time you played it.

You mean all of them?

I would pay to have a tier with a video game based show and a got based show where Andrew is tied down listening to Eric and Steve stumbling through retelling the plot and describing the characters

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like I was screaming at my car radio when Andrew started wondering why some Playstation games came in two discs when Nintendo 64 games fit in one cartridge
Higher quality audio and fmvs motherfucker

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know, after hearing how WRETCHED Steve thought Episode I Racer was, I can't really trust his opinion on video games.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I have no idea why, but The Boyz bleeting "llaaaaaaarrraaaaaa crrrrrrrrrroft" incessantly cracked me up. Highlight of the episode for me.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Calaveron posted:

I would pay to have a tier with a video game based show and a got based show where Andrew is tied down listening to Eric and Steve stumbling through retelling the plot and describing the characters

The Mortal Kombat episode established that Andrew just threw the game on immediately without any thought towards story and details. Have Steve and Eric read out of the booklet.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Also, on Cabin and Eric's recommendation that the newest Tomb Raider is a solid fun-for-dumb-babies hangover movie, I checked it out. They're not entirely right, but I was actually surprised at how cohesive and mostly-not-stupid it was. (Also, If you've played the Tomb Raider reboot from 2013, you have absolutely no need to watch the movie.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

thrawn527 posted:

I don't know, after hearing how WRETCHED Steve thought Episode I Racer was, I can't really trust his opinion on video games.

They hated Mega Man X too

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
AS much as I like this podcast and think the guys are great, they know dick about video games.

Which would make them hosting a video game podcast pretty great, actually

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

:staredog:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Monsters.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

It's okay to hate a video game.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

enigmahfc posted:

AS much as I like this podcast and think the guys are great, they know dick about video games.

Which would make them hosting a video game podcast pretty great, actually

Can you imagine? They'd mistake UI for HUD! It would be a glorious trainwreck!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Also, on Cabin and Eric's recommendation that the newest Tomb Raider is a solid fun-for-dumb-babies hangover movie, I checked it out. They're not entirely right, but I was actually surprised at how cohesive and mostly-not-stupid it was. (Also, If you've played the Tomb Raider reboot from 2013, you have absolutely no need to watch the movie.)

It was basically a perfect plane movie but be warned that the first like 30 minutes are utterly worthless. Should've just done what the game did and just start with her getting shipwrecked. We could've had more Walton Goggins!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

enigmahfc posted:

Masters of Teras Kasi or GTFO

I’m pretty sure the Gamorrean Guard character had an exploding fart attack as his ultimate. That game owned.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Battlefield Earth episode is out!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Captain Hotbutt posted:

(Also, If you've played the Tomb Raider reboot from 2013, you have absolutely no need to watch the movie.)

Sort of. It hits all the major beats of the game but done in a much more cost effective fashion.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Pops Mgee posted:

I’m pretty sure the Gamorrean Guard character had an exploding fart attack as his ultimate. That game owned.

The Tusken Raider was named Hoar.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Man, sick Placebo references this episode. Never have I heard anything that so perfectly dates both them and myself.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Man, sick Placebo references this episode. Never have I heard anything that so perfectly dates both them and myself.
I didn't remember who the hell Placebo was until Steve started singing, then all the shameful memories came flooding back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

enigmahfc posted:

Masters of Teras Kasi or GTFO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA2borlKZA4