Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just want another game where the NPCs don't default to hostile the minute they make eye contact with you. I liked that in New Vegas. Sure you have Vipers and Jackals and Fiends and the occasional paranoid Brotherhood patrol but for the most part people will at least try to talk first before the guns come out. Even wannabes like the powder gangers are more interested in shaking down travelers than murdering them.

THat would require effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Didn't coyotes and stuff growl in New Vegas and only attack if you got close?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
While everyone is talking about shutting down 8chan because it breeds psychopaths I'm gonna go ahead and say shut down nma too

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just want another game where the NPCs don't default to hostile the minute they make eye contact with you. I liked that in New Vegas. Sure you have Vipers and Jackals and Fiends and the occasional paranoid Brotherhood patrol but for the most part people will at least try to talk first before the guns come out. Even wannabes like the powder gangers are more interested in shaking down travelers than murdering them.

This really is my biggest beef with F4. Story issues are one thing, because I can turn my brain off and enjoy popcorn sci fi shlock for what it is. But the fact that every single loving quest is "go here, kill that, come back" drives me up the wall. I want to get to know cool post-apoc peoples and histories and such. Hell, Fallout 3 even allowed you to complete quests in multiple ways and different orders, lots without violence even. That's the very core of what made Fallout so enjoyable for most folks. The setting was great, but it was being able to any kind of character for the most part and make it work. And apparently F76 is even more of that but with even less interactivity. I don't know because I have yet to touch it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Donovan Trip posted:

While everyone is talking about shutting down 8chan because it breeds psychopaths I'm gonna go ahead and say shut down nma too

NMA has been in a vegetative state for years.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Let's not throw stones in a glass house, there

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So is this game still a trash fire? Been playing Conan Exiles and something like that with a Fallout skin could be cool.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Another Bill posted:

Jesus Christ how is this loving game not $20 yet

I got it for $25 on Amazon.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Meridian posted:

So is this game still a trash fire? Been playing Conan Exiles and something like that with a Fallout skin could be cool.

Is Exiles good (or something approaching good) now? I randomly redownload it once in a while but I haven't in like 9 months.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

sharknado slashfic posted:

Is Exiles good (or something approaching good) now? I randomly redownload it once in a while but I haven't in like 9 months.

I just started playing it but apparently a lot has changed, combat has been improved and I am sure some other things too. If you want to check it out, I would be down to play co-op.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

This really is my biggest beef with F4. Story issues are one thing, because I can turn my brain off and enjoy popcorn sci fi shlock for what it is. But the fact that every single loving quest is "go here, kill that, come back" drives me up the wall. I want to get to know cool post-apoc peoples and histories and such. Hell, Fallout 3 even allowed you to complete quests in multiple ways and different orders, lots without violence even. That's the very core of what made Fallout so enjoyable for most folks. The setting was great, but it was being able to any kind of character for the most part and make it work. And apparently F76 is even more of that but with even less interactivity. I don't know because I have yet to touch it.

Every time I try fallout 4 again I mentally check out around the time I run into the raider giving a eulogy for a friend who then just sees you and starts shooting and barking canned lines

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Deadguy2322 posted:

It almost makes one wonder why they bothered buying the IP in the first place.

Because it meant they didn't have to bother coming up with a new IP, because that would be hard.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Frog Act posted:

Every time I try fallout 4 again I mentally check out around the time I run into the raider giving a eulogy for a friend who then just sees you and starts shooting and barking canned lines

Is that the one standing over the shallow grave? I always just pop him in the head so he falls forward on his buddy and loot them both.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Frog Act posted:

The best example of this is the robot race track where once you're spotted everyone tries to murder you for no reason

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's kind of nice to give raiders little scenes like that, or like the ones in Fallout 3 that play baseball or whatever, but yeah the effect is kind of spoiled when the combat AI takes over instantly upon detecting the player

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

corn in the bible posted:

The best example of this is the robot race track where once you're spotted everyone tries to murder you for no reason

I know right? I wanted to place some bets OH poo poo EVERYONES SHOOTING

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The rumor was that they were going to flesh the raiders out a lot more in FO4 but that all got shelved in order to add in half a base-building game.

*I actually kind of liked the base building but it is as obviously just as incomplete as the factions

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Clark Nova posted:

The rumor was that they were going to flesh the raiders out a lot more in FO4 but that all got shelved in order to add in half a base-building game.

*I actually kind of liked the base building but it is as obviously just as incomplete as the factions

Most of it is in the various Raider terminals that nobody's going to read, and there's sometimes dialogue where they talk about other raiders getting slaughtered

Of course, it's kinda hard to hear any of it when you're half a mile away with a sniper rifle...

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Also the cage fighting arena where everyone immediately turns hostile

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So instead of improving AI on raiders we get more stupid creation club clubhouses.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Vinylshadow posted:

Most of it is in the various Raider terminals that nobody's going to read, and there's sometimes dialogue where they talk about other raiders getting slaughtered

Of course, it's kinda hard to hear any of it when you're half a mile away with a sniper rifle...

There's this remarkable elaborate system of changing logs at around four or five locations, that change depending on which raider gang you've brutally murdered, it's kinda fun.

Of course, I would have been much nicer if they'd talked about it instead or there had been some sort of gameplay anything.

[This is all Fallout 4, one of the locations is the Corvega plant.]

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

BMan posted:

Also the cage fighting arena where everyone immediately turns hostile

That one always bothers me, I love the arena concept and Bethesda just keeps teasing it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Because it meant they didn't have to bother coming up with a new IP, because that would be hard.

Starfield Tech-Raider *in Nazeem voice*: This is the part where you fall down and bleed oil to death!"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I mean I sort of dig the dumb base building, but I’d prefer more quest and NPC interactivity across the bored. I think Elder Scrolls would be the better franchise to have the player dick around in because by default no one cares about the story. But Fallout is a setting that was famous for telling good stories and having a degree of moral complexity.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Gonna get owned hard for sayin this but new patch is not that bad and of of the bugs seem gone

Mostly been ignoring the quests collecting junk and playing Barbie Dream Home though

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I take it they already fixed the borked spoilage timer from the patch?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Rinkles posted:

I take it they already fixed the borked spoilage timer from the patch?

Spoilage seems messed up. I was collecting stuff for booze, only played for about 2 hours and ended up with over 100 spoiled vegetables in my inventory by the time I went back to camp.

Unless they're intending to make everything spoil instantly.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Meridian posted:

I just started playing it but apparently a lot has changed, combat has been improved and I am sure some other things too. If you want to check it out, I would be down to play co-op.

I'll keep this in mind but as is evident from me forgetting I ever posted this I'll also forget to download it again.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

TheSwizzler posted:

Unless they're intending to make everything spoil instantly.

Judging from this games shelf life they may be

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
When I first bought FO4, I was pretty happy with it. Then I realised I was only enjoying it because it was a post-apocalyptic base builder. And it couldn't even do it properly. I ended up getting a load of mods so I could actually build the base I wanted to without the attached Bethesda logic.

I stopped playing soon after.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fall Dog posted:

When I first bought FO4, I was pretty happy with it. Then I realised I was only enjoying it because it was a post-apocalyptic base builder. And it couldn't even do it properly. I ended up getting a load of mods so I could actually build the base I wanted to without the attached Bethesda logic.

I stopped playing soon after.

I had the opposite reaction. I wanted a Fallout game but it kept trying to sell me on this dumbshit base builder (I already have Rimworld, Banished, and other better games for that). I considered bitching at Steam for a refund but... :effort:

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Donovan Trip posted:

Valve tried to take a producer role for a while, they're not very good at it. They were simultaneously trying to get steam off the ground. Gearbox and turtlerock and a few others were all trying to make that condition zero game as well as ports with no direction, they couldn't even get an email back from valve. Eventually valve outright bought the studios they could, gearbox passed on that.

This is from memory of things happening nearly twenty years ago so if anyone else has more details, cool

iirc there was a noclip documentary that touched on this relationship a bit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i didn't know there was a character model replacement mod for fo2 beyond hair color and race options. i'm assuming that's what i'm seeing in matn's fo2 lp.

(from video vs. my copy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78L3zYpg1pM&t=3400s

fo2 modding sure has evolved since i last... omg

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Rinkles posted:

i didn't know there was a character model replacement mod for fo2 beyond hair color and race options. i'm assuming that's what i'm seeing in matn's fo2 lp.

(from video vs. my copy)

That stuff is in the Fallout 2 Restoration Project.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

That stuff is in the Fallout 2 Restoration Project.

wasn't there a decade ago when i last looked into rp. seems killap expanded the scope quite a bit.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Rinkles posted:

i hate little pip

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
There’s one for fo3 where they replace every character, too

I hate mlp so loving much

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Rinkles posted:

This is amazing work. As a student of history I can say that I’ve seen hundreds of pictures like this, and have shown little to no emotion. The pictures were just windows to a past I’ve never lived in, people who I never knew or would ever know. But this picture made me stop and evaluate. Putting Rainbow Dash in made me actually look at what is really happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, and to make people feel those emotions well, that takes amazing talent. Thank you.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
Lmao to this day I can't believe someone wrote that seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
is fallout 76 f2p yet?