Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

so the post in the OP about dragonrot is pretty vague - what exactly constitutes a "reason" for curing it?

As an example, if an NPC asks you to find something for them as part of a quest and then they get Dragonrot, you can't continue the quest until it's gone even if you do find the item. You have to cure the Dragonrot first to continue their quest, therefore it's best to save it until you need to do something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dmccaff posted:

If the penalty for death is losing half xp and money, does death just after levelling up mean you'll 'de-level' or is it minimised to your current level?

as far as i can tell you only lose half of what's in the bar. you can't lose skillpoints once it turns into a number

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

dmccaff posted:

If the penalty for death is losing half xp and money, does death just after levelling up mean you'll 'de-level' or is it minimised to your current level?

You only lose the progress to the next level, any skill points you've earned remain

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What are the optimal settings for Sekiro using an AMD Radeon 500 series?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've been playing a bunch but so far my thoughts:

i wish the sweep attacks and thrust attacks had different "look out" symbols or if they are, that i could read japanese

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
btw the fish scale dude is totally just the toilet hand from majora's mask right

dmccaff posted:

you only lose the xp in the bar, not levels. In other words you only lose progress towards your next level, not permanent progress

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just found (deep dark cave spoilers) a headless teleporting guy that makes me move slow and won't let me dodge who seems a bit much for me right now.

Leads to a (mechanic spoiler) demon bell that raises the difficulty in exchange for better loot. I didn't roll with it though, game is hard enough right now.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, Japan has a lot of toilet spirits that this and Zelda are paying homage too

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah it's like the top line of the shinobi stuff

Heck! I was putzing around in the bottom part of that tree so I'll have to drum up some skill points and change direction

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
So if I’m at the chained ogre, is the fire cannon close? The dude nearby told me where it is, but I’m not really sure where I am.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
a good tip, buy spirit emblems whenever you are at a statue if you only have like 40 sen or something small. you will probably lose that when you die and you can bank the spirit emblems so may as well

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
This sounds like a stupid question:

I played demon's souls, dark souls 1-2 on ps3, and bloodborne on ps4. They all looked great at the time. I think Dark souls 2 looked fine on ps3? I can't remember. The rest looked and felt great.

I played Dark souls 2: SOTFS on PC and it looked and felt like poo poo. Dark souls 3 on pc looked fine. This game, Sekiro, 'feels' the same as Dark Souls 2 to me. Is it the higher frame rate? I remember that people said lower fps is 'cinematic'. Is that real? Am I missing that feeling? Anyone else playing it on PC and thinking it feels a little funny? I'm getting good frame rates and using a 980. I tried 'max' and it was a tad choppy so my graphics is set to something like 'high'. I'm not even sure what I'm complaining about.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

So if I’m at the chained ogre, is the fire cannon close? The dude nearby told me where it is, but I’m not really sure where I am.

No. The flame vent requires you to use the little bell from the old lady to open one of the time travel bits. It takes you to Hirata Estates, and you'll find the flame vent in a bonfire with a few guys around it. It's in the burned out village section BEFORE you go up a ramp. Super easy to miss, I walked by it a dozen times

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Skypie posted:

No. The flame vent requires you to use the little bell from the old lady to open one of the time travel bits. It takes you to Hirata Estates, and you'll find the flame vent in a bonfire with a few guys around it. It's in the burned out village section BEFORE you go up a ramp. Super easy to miss, I walked by it a dozen times

The thief tells you exactly where it is. I saw the fire and thieves and was like oh this is where the guy was when he was a miscreant.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Skypie posted:

Nice, I’ve been there. I must be following the Intended Path.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

JBP posted:

The thief tells you exactly where it is. I saw the fire and thieves and was like oh this is where the guy was when he was a miscreant.

I think I missed it because I was frantically trying to murder all those dudes :v:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I don't even think I'm learning anything from losing to this purple ninja, other than how to not to say gently caress under my breath.

i did learn tho that you can just run, open the door, snag the shinobi tool and leave. i'm just doing it for the satisfaction cause he HAS to drop a gourd seed or a prayer bead or something (someone please tell me if he doesn't)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sekiro appears to eating it at 15 FPS on my laptop while DS3 runs fine at 40 FPS. What the gently caress. How do I refund and buy on PS4?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Someone mentioned jumping instead of dodging for the CO and I finally beat him. Almost didn't because his friend the spear guy decided to leg it over in the last few moments of the fight and actually did kill me after I beat him. Man and he wasn't even a real boss! I got the Deathblow skill and now I'm a vampire ninja.

Also I went to the area after him and the snake is terrifying. I love reptiles, and now that I think about it I was wondering earlier if my pet turtle would try to eat me if I was tiny or she was huge, and suddenly here I am loving eye to eye with a giant snake!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I didn’t move in to the area. I hit the idol and noped out.

Also, yeah lol I am bad at this game. Just mashing L1 and praying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grouchio posted:

Sekiro appears to eating it at 15 FPS on my laptop while DS3 runs fine at 40 FPS. What the gently caress. How do I refund and buy on PS4?

Don't buy it on PS4, it has the same frame-timing issues as Bloodborne which leads to the same microstutters it has. The game is beautifully optimized so something it's doing might be disagreeing with your computer. Make sure the game is using your graphics card in Nvidia control panel or AMD's equivalent, some people report that Sekiro for some reason tries to use the integrated graphics on some computers.

edit: Oh, right, that probably doesn't apply to laptops. Duh. :negative:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

I didn’t move in to the area. I hit the idol and noped out.

Also, yeah lol I am bad at this game. Just mashing L1 and praying.

I have already picked up two Rot Essence so I'm bad as well lol

Actually I'm getting the hang of grunt attack patterns but those jerks with the axes or whatever I just cannot seem to wrap my head around so they kick my rear end a lot

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Don't buy it on PS4, it has the same frame-timing issues as Bloodborne which leads to the same microstutters it has. The game is beautifully optimized so something it's doing might be disagreeing with your computer. Make sure the game is using your graphics card in Nvidia control panel or AMD's equivalent, some people report that Sekiro for some reason tries to use the integrated graphics on some computers.
How do I tell whether it's trying integrated graphics or not? And how do I switch? I have settings for it on AMD but it still eats it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's great on PS4.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
one of the things I didn't anticipate was how a fixed build would diminish the fun of exploring. it's still neat finding those classic From hidden areas, but it's a little disappointing when it's just candy or a balloon over and over.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Steve2911 posted:

So what the gently caress is the point of not ressing if you still get rot?

If you've built up extra rezzes you can bank them for another day if you think the current fight is hopeless

Deified Data posted:

Just found (deep dark cave spoilers) a headless teleporting guy that makes me move slow and won't let me dodge who seems a bit much for me right now.

Leads to a (mechanic spoiler) demon bell that raises the difficulty in exchange for better loot. I didn't roll with it though, game is hard enough right now.

Yeah he also inflicts Terror which works like petrification or whatever and instakills you . Goofy looking guy but once he started attacking I knew I was hosed.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So my game was locked at 20fps on an i7-8700k running at 5 gigs with a 12 gig 1070. No matter what my settings, always 20 fps.

Did some research, apparently if you have 2 monitors and an nVidia card the game shits itself and doesn't run at higher than 20fps.

What the gently caress is this? How is that a thing they didn't realize before shipping? Holy poo poo what a trainwreck.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grouchio posted:

How do I tell whether it's trying integrated graphics or not? And how do I switch? I have settings for it on AMD but it still eats it.

Well I edited my post because that might not apply to laptops now that I think about it, so I don't think that's the problem unfortunately. Check your settings perhaps, Shadows, Lighting, Volumetric and Reflections have the biggest performance hit.

Fuzz posted:

So my game was locked at 20fps on an i7-8700k running at 5 gigs with a 12 gig 1070. No matter what my settings, always 20 fps.

Did some research, apparently if you have 2 monitors and an nVidia card the game shits itself and doesn't run at higher than 20fps.

What the gently caress is this? How is that a thing they didn't realize before shipping? Holy poo poo what a trainwreck.

I have two monitors and haven't had this problem, which probably explains why because they may not have encountered it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

goferchan posted:

Yeah he also inflicts Terror which works like petrification or whatever and instakills you . Goofy looking guy but once he started attacking I knew I was hosed.
if you go into his zone, but don't go down and just look at him, he just walks out of the darkness and stands there looking up at you

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Goon consensus as someone who loved bloodborne: go buy this on ps4 rn?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Donovan Trip posted:

Goon consensus as someone who loved bloodborne: go buy this on ps4 rn?

Yes.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
can someone spoiler me on if there are lots of disgusting insect-inspired monsters in this? i really hate worms and centipedes and stuff. I can handle spiders and snakes though. i know im a coward :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

I'm on a GTX 1060 with two monitors and it's smooth as butter for me, no tech issues whatsoever

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JBP posted:

It's great on PS4.

Other than the microstutter thing (which, like Bloodborne, is barely noticeable after a while) it runs really well on consoles thankfully. I'm glad From seems to have finally figured out how to make their games perform well, aside from the usual weird consumer market technical bugs most games nowadays have on release.

edit: That said, buy it on PC if you have an even slightly modern PC imo, unless you really wanna play it in your living room specifically. The game will still run well and look better, and you can customize the graphics options in ways the console version cannot.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 23, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is three gourds too low for butterfly? I can beat phase one at this point but it takes every ounce of effort.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

CJacobs posted:

Well I edited my post because that might not apply to laptops now that I think about it, so I don't think that's the problem unfortunately. Check your settings perhaps, Shadows, Lighting, Volumetric and Reflections have the biggest performance hit.

I have two monitors and haven't had this problem, which probably explains why because they may not have encountered it.

Your Computer posted:

I'm on a GTX 1060 with two monitors and it's smooth as butter for me, no tech issues whatsoever

Yeah, it's super variable, no idea why.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sekiro/comments/b3ryw1/anyone_else_stuck_at_20_fps/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sekiro/comments/b3x109/psa_for_those_who_might_have_horrible_performance

Really bizarre.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CJacobs posted:

I have everything set on low. Thing still runs at ~10-15 FPS, like in slow-motion. Are you sure I can't check whether Sekiro's using AMD or not?

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
I can't believe I can't beat this ogre fucker, because I've been really close twice now but I swear to god he's cheating with his grabs and his dropkick move. He's like a homing missile with his feet sometimes and he'll clip-grab like a champ. Can't put my finger on it, but it feels like there was something like this in either Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3.

I was kind of prepared for the game being a parry masturbation fest, but this particular guy isn't that and is getting on my nerves.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

cargo cult posted:

can someone spoiler me on if there are lots of disgusting insect-inspired monsters in this? i really hate worms and centipedes and stuff. I can handle spiders and snakes though. i know im a coward :(

Yeah there are people infested with centipedes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

goferchan posted:

Yeah there are people infested with centipedes
gahhh like lots of them???