Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

coldpudding posted:

I think I'll stay away from the loafer from now on, I don't think it's good for the server,

My most recent setup is a pipe loop with 5 flusher inputs being fed by 10 thermal printers (that oddly contain infinite paper) with a sensor pipe triggering a cascade of flushes,
the sound of it was tremendous and dominating like the roar of a rocket engine,

the result of 30 min work 7 einstein rosen loaves, four or five stangelets

and too many other loaves to examine without crashing.

wait isnt einstein rosen the Really Specific Loaf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

soy posted:

I wish some admin would become a twitch streamer, I always wondered what game is like from admin perspective.
I was made admin once. There are so many menus and most of them do anything and I accidentally pressed a button that made a robot lady chant BENJU KAZOOEY METAL GEAR SOLID THREE SNAKE EATER JET FORCE GEMINI over and over and none of the admins could make it stop and then it turned out I accidentally made 100 invisible yetis spawn in escape and I accidentally replaced the shuttle with a picture of a frog and they don't give full admin rights to random people any more

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I was made admin once. There are so many menus and most of them do anything and I accidentally pressed a button that made a robot lady chant BENJU KAZOOEY METAL GEAR SOLID THREE SNAKE EATER JET FORCE GEMINI over and over and none of the admins could make it stop and then it turned out I accidentally made 100 invisible yetis spawn in escape and I accidentally replaced the shuttle with a picture of a frog and they don't give full admin rights to random people any more

I don't know what their problem is, that sounds like a perfectly good adminbus round to me

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Angry Diplomat posted:

I don't know what their problem is, that sounds like a perfectly good adminbus round to me

Perhaps it wasn't rear end DAY.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the only time I ever got made tempmin they only me and the other guy enough power to terrorize a poor botanist by repeatedly teleporting to him and rainbow gibbing ourselves

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Archenteron posted:

A proper hellburn has gas so rapidly expanding from increasing heat that it literally can't leak out from the completely shattered pipes fast enough to depressurize.

Or on the absolutely magical occasion where you break thermodynamics entirely and rollover to below absolute zero, you flood the station with infinitely pressurized burning cold vacuum.

look, you can't call yourself an engineer unless the engine is putting out more energy than the sun

that's 385 YW for people keeping track!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Victory Position posted:

look, you can't call yourself an engineer unless the engine is putting out more energy than the sun

that's 385 YW for people keeping track!

Don't forget to wire the engine directly to the electrical grid!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

I stopped playing because every round ended up like this and it got incredibly boring to get killed by the actual adminbus or randomly spawned space bees. Good to see this is a lot less common now though.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Luigi Thirty posted:

a grieving sadularity

lmao at everything

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vengarr posted:

Actually getting the engine going isn't too hard. Getting enough power to use the PTL is hurting my brain, though. Can you even generate enough power to use it without a hellburn?

from what i understand the PTL was specifically made so people had something to do with all that hellburn energy

e: besides melt assistants who walked too close to the sauna, anyway

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 23, 2019

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Yinlock posted:

from what i understand the PTL was specifically made so people had something to do with all that hellburn energy

pretty much this, yeah

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Honestly if your hellburn isn't annihlating all life on the station, can it even be called a hellburn?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

#ThrowbackSaturday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bieWjhweZk

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I've never had access to VOX as AI, and only once a month I've seen anyone use VOX.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mimesweeper posted:

pretty much this, yeah

Why didn't they just...patch out hellburns? They're silly as hell. I respect the ingenuity involved in making it work, but you could have a system that doesn't rely on exploiting the game's code.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Vengarr posted:

Why didn't they just...patch out hellburns?

Vengarr posted:

They're silly as hell.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I can respect that too, but a nuclear reactor could also lead to amusing shenanigans without making you dive for a wiki. Or you could make hellburns by mixing various gases instead, which I gather was originally the point of Plasma Research? Does anyone try mixing gases for non-bomb-related purposes?

There's worse things than convoluted silliness for sure. Oshan's geothermal plants are simple and also pretty boring.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Because people really enjoy doing hellburns, they’re not hurting anyone any more than normal station life does, and there’s no point removing poo poo that people like doing and isn’t causing problems.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

It's not like getting the engine to a point where it can supply the station is difficult or requires the wiki.

In any case, weren't there plans for a nuclear reactor at some point?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There exist perfectly safe plans for nuclear reactors. I fully expect that the SS13 reactor would involve multiple Demon Cores and a monkey with a screwdriver.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There exist perfectly safe plans for nuclear reactors. I fully expect that the SS13 reactor would involve multiple Demon Cores and a monkey with a screwdriver.

SS13 station design is basically "how can I make this dangerous?"

The entire thing exists as basically a series of ways for people to meet their unfortunate demise, accidental or otherwise.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
The station has to be kept in equilibrium as both too much failure or too much success will both surely destroy it

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Would be cool if there were something you could DO with all that power. Has anyone ever suggested an experimental particle accelerator? Would rule if you could mess up and create a singularity/half life situation.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Shinmera posted:

It's not like getting the engine to a point where it can supply the station is difficult or requires the wiki.

Hahahaha.

I see Engineers failing every round at the moment.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Vengarr posted:

Hahahaha.

'not being difficult' and 'people gently caress it up all the time' are not mutually exclusive, especially in SS13

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah this is a game where one of the first things most players experience is accidentally beating themselves to unconsciousness with their own shoes.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

'not being difficult' and 'people gently caress it up all the time' are not mutually exclusive, especially in SS13

We are talking about people who regularly beat themselves to death with their own shoes and blindly walk out of airlocks afterall.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Vengarr posted:

Hahahaha.

There was a quote upthread a ways where basically, the whole station is designed around the idea of "what is X was made ludicrously dangerous?" I actually have to hand it to the coders, for the most part, they manage to reliably find a balance with nearly all tasks, where if you wanna just get it done and gently caress off elsewhere, you totally can, but if you wanna sperg out and do some ridiculous poo poo, you can also do that.

Like, you can totally set up the engine and then go gently caress with learning to hotwire the station as an engineer. Or you can totally learn to crank the engine up to silly levels, to the point where entire sections of the station are rendered instantly lethal to life while you sit there with fire resistance, laughing about how you blue-shifted the engine and produced more power than the center of the universe.

You can apply that thinking to just about anything in this game. You always have the option to either (ignore it entirely OR do a bare minimum slap-job so you can gently caress off elsewhere) OR (go completely balls to the wall with it and push it to comedy levels)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

There was a quote upthread a ways where basically, the whole station is designed around the idea of "what is X was made ludicrously dangerous?" I actually have to hand it to the coders, for the most part, they manage to reliably find a balance with nearly all tasks, where if you wanna just get it done and gently caress off elsewhere, you totally can, but if you wanna sperg out and do some ridiculous poo poo, you can also do that.

Like, you can totally set up the engine and then go gently caress with learning to hotwire the station as an engineer. Or you can totally learn to crank the engine up to silly levels, to the point where entire sections of the station are rendered instantly lethal to life while you sit there with fire resistance, laughing about how you blue-shifted the engine and produced more power than the center of the universe.

You can apply that thinking to just about anything in this game. You always have the option to either (ignore it entirely OR do a bare minimum slap-job so you can gently caress off elsewhere) OR (go completely balls to the wall with it and push it to comedy levels)

I think this is why people have found SS13 so difficult to remake. It's not really any one system that makes it so much as it is a whole bunch of extremely deep systems that you can optionally engage with.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Vengarr posted:

I can respect that too, but a nuclear reactor could also lead to amusing shenanigans without making you dive for a wiki. Or you could make hellburns by mixing various gases instead, which I gather was originally the point of Plasma Research? Does anyone try mixing gases for non-bomb-related purposes?

There's worse things than convoluted silliness for sure. Oshan's geothermal plants are simple and also pretty boring.

You could try to run the engine with other gas mixes, but it just won't be nearly as effective. There's a bunch of limiting factors on engine burns that make it pretty finicky to run without the engine falling apart, and hellburns just brute-force it by making the engine so hot it doesn't care if it falls apart, and the ideal gas mix and procedures for that are pretty much well-known. There's no real value to running the engine that hot anyway, other than bragging rights and learning the temperature level necessary to make most items spontaneously combust, so it's not a big deal.

Unfortunately, there aren't really any other uses for gas, at all. The only things you can do with gases are breathe them, use them to make fires, use them to make bombs, or put them in the engine. And there's not really a lot of variation in what you can do with each of them. Oxygen is useful for all four purposes, plasma is useful for three of those four, CO2 is useless for anything except suffocating people, and nitrogen has no useful purpose whatsoever. And the ~secret gas~ is only really useful for making plasma/oxygen mixes even more effective.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Idea: Machinery Overclocking

If there's a large surplus of power being generated, that power can be utilized for more than just the PTL by overclocking existing machinery, allowing for more fun activities. The ability to overclock would need to be unlocked by a Mechanic ID, but once it is enabled the machinery will be able to draw exponentially more power to enable new functionality.

Example: Teleportation

When the teleporter is overclocked via the console, the teleport area can then be increased to a 2x2, 3x3, or even NxN area with each increase in size increasing the power draw dramatically. The teleport pad will still only operate as a 1x1 portal, but the destination will instead spawn portals in a NxN area. If Receive is pressed, objects in that NxN area will be teleported to the same square as the teleporter pad. If Send is pressed, items on the teleporter pad will be sent to random squares in the NxN portal area at the destination.

Pros: Allows for a Star Trek-esque evac of people in Adventure zones, or movement of a large number of objects.

Cons: Where objects are sent in the destination portal area is entirely random.

Robust: Throw assorted weaponry into the teleporter room, receive the entire monkey holding pen, then drop the Tactical Monkey Squad all around whoever needs instant monkey justice.

I like this concept because it's useful, potentially catastrophic, and also encourages department interaction with Mechanics who are probably building teleporter traps anyway.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 24, 2019

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think this is why people have found SS13 so difficult to remake. It's not really any one system that makes it so much as it is a whole bunch of extremely deep systems that you can optionally engage with.

Space Alert does a good job of boiling the concept down.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Cargo hell was the single best example of how great "What if we made X lethal and hilarious at the same time." What I'm saying is botany needs a overhaul purely for this.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
leaky botany hydroponics wet random floor tiles around it creating slipping hazards

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Reminder to all engineers and QMs, you can order all the parts for a singularity engine from Cargo, and can afford to do so if the QM spends just a little solid effort flipping produce crates for mad dosh. Even got a nice space to build it just outside the cargo podbay.

e. you can do this on Oshan, too. :unsmigghh:

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 24, 2019

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just order the giant laser emitters and set them up in the hallways

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The owlry is nicely secluded and just the right size to gently caress your containment up and unleash an unshielded singulo on the station.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rndmnmbr posted:

Reminder to all engineers and QMs, you can order all the parts for a singularity engine from Cargo, and can afford to do so if the QM spends just a little solid effort flipping produce crates for mad dosh. Even got a nice space to build it just outside the cargo podbay.

e. you can do this on Oshan, too. :unsmigghh:

Wait, you can build entire Singularity engines again? :magical:.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I just got back into this game after not playing for about 3 years. It's amazing how much progress has been made and I'm glad to see it's still going. This game has been the source of the most memorable gaming moments for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, you can build entire Singularity engines again? :magical:.

You have been able to for a long time! :science: