Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there’s the one kintaro trooper with a bell right next to where the guys are talking about it, and then i think one or two more in the endgame sequence. that’s it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

and i guess wearing an ape counts as ill fitting too

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah the spear thing looks like it was a decision that got taken out in the middle of development that wasn’t completely taken out, which is FROM as gently caress.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

and i guess wearing an ape counts as ill fitting too
:hmmyes:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah the spear thing looks like it was a decision that got taken out in the middle of development that wasn’t completely taken out, which is FROM as gently caress.
:agreed:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Maybe if the armor on those guys actually did anything we'd have more distinct memories of the tool being useful. The game was maybe a bit too generous sometimes in what enemies it allowed you to stealth deathblow with zero risk or investment - their armor could have mitigated that somewhat.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought they were talking about someone else too because I didn't read the big guy as even having armor, always thought he was just like in his underwear because most of his body is exposed and I was too focused on the giant bell

That's the guy you're supposed to use the spear on? I just shurikened his dogs then stealth killed him.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm trying to think of other places I can try to go that I haven't been yet. Even after adding some skills that looked helpful, I'm still stuck on Butterfly and Seven Spears. I have't attempted the dude in the well yet. I haven't explored much around the castle, although I went right from the idol right after the bull, and was almost immediately sniped by some birdlike dude on an opposite roof. So I can go there or 2) up the stairs to a gank squad, 3) down in the pit under the bridge, 4) past where you jump down to get to the Reservoir. Can I get 3-4 easy beads out of these routes to make the bosses I'm stuck on just even more easy? Or am I really stuck progress wise unless I want to straight up grind for skills (that probably won't help me that much)?

If you can make it into the castle proper, there are three beads available that I would consider relatively easy (one gimmicky miniboss and two that are pickups in somewhat hidden areas in/behind the castle), and you can also get the umbrella from the castle rear to make deflection timing easier. I assume you've found the way to Senpou Temple as well? To get around the roof nightjar safely you can use ceramics to pull the initial pack of soldiers into the hallway, kill them, then go in and immediately take a left so you're out of line of sight. Then you can get up onto the roofs and circle behind him. This also works to get plunging attacks on the squad on the stairs.

Seven Spears is pretty hard regardless of stats because he has something like three different thrusts with slightly different timings plus a sweep mixup, and is the first early boss where holding down block is bad for you.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Cowcaster posted:

there’s the one kintaro trooper with a bell right next to where the guys are talking about it, and then i think one or two more in the endgame sequence. that’s it
TBH they should've given more of the Taro Troup the armor, then renamed Gyoubo from "Gyoubo the Armor-Stripper" to "Gyoubo, Killer of Fat Bastards"
Then people would know what it was for!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Promethium posted:

If you can make it into the castle proper, there are three beads available that I would consider relatively easy (one gimmicky miniboss and two that are pickups in somewhat hidden areas in/behind the castle), and you can also get the umbrella from the castle rear to make deflection timing easier. I assume you've found the way to Senpou Temple as well? To get around the roof nightjar safely you can use ceramics to pull the initial pack of soldiers into the hallway, kill them, then go in and immediately take a left so you're out of line of sight. Then you can get up onto the roofs and circle behind him. This also works to get plunging attacks on the squad on the stairs.

No, the only exploring I've done in the Castle is going to the Reservoir and poking my head out to get sniped at. So if I can get this gimmicky boss, the two hidden ones, and kill the general on the stairs, that should get me 4 beads, right?

quote:

Seven Spears is pretty hard regardless of stats because he has something like three different thrusts with slightly different timings plus a sweep mixup, and is the first early boss where holding down block is bad for you.

Yeah, I just don't have the patience for it. I can usually only get him down to 75% health. I think I got him to half health once. I Mkiri countered him and it....didn't seem to do anything? So if I'm going that way, I'll attempt well guy instead (does he give up a bead?) Looks like general Castle exploring will be more fun though. I enjoy picking the areas apart a lot more than I'm enjoying the boss fights.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SHISHKABOB posted:

When they try and act like the game made a bad design decision, yeah!

it was a loving mistake for them to center armor-stripping so heavily in the description of that one item, and only a stupid or willfully disingenuous person would say "ahhh jeez, I have no IDEA how ANYONE could be tricked into using the armor destroying spear on the seemingly-invincible boss whose first name is literally 'armored'" even if it's not a terrible issue that it doesn't work

like nobody is saying the game is bad because of it, it's not a personal attack on miyazaki-sensei, this is not a perfect videogame

poo poo, it might even be on the translation and not on from

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yeah, I just don't have the patience for it. I can usually only get him down to 75% health. I think I got him to half health once. I Mkiri countered him and it....didn't seem to do anything? So if I'm going that way, I'll attempt well guy instead (does he give up a bead?) Looks like general Castle exploring will be more fun though. I enjoy picking the areas apart a lot more than I'm enjoying the boss fights.
You mikiri counter him, he follows up with a super haphazard swing. Deflect that, and he takes a chunk of posture damage and flails forward, getting stunned for a good couple hits.

also remember that you can and should stealth stab him

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Blaziken386 posted:

You mikiri counter him, he follows up with a super haphazard swing. Deflect that, and he takes a chunk of posture damage and flails forward, getting stunned for a good couple hits.

also remember that you can and should stealth stab him

Yes, I always stealth stab him. I just can't string many good moves together against him before he punishes me. Is jump stomping on his head during perilous attacks reliable, or will he swat me down?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Had a no-falls run going, past horsey and the bull, and then a backstab didn't go off and I got gangbanged by the remaining three rifle dudes and the general on the stairs outside Ashina Castle. :negative:

I'm getting videos of every boss fight and miniboss during playthrough 7 though for the hell of it, probably gonna upload them once I'm done. Some of these so far are just silly thinking I got stuck on a bunch of them. Jinsuke Saze went down in 50 seconds, for example. That guy got me like three rounds of Dragonrot on my first playthrough. :haw:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i would just like to share that i am doing the game in all kinds of hosed up backward order because basically the first thing i did was go to senpou temple. losing to seven spears made me say "hey maybe i should explore so i am not banging my head against the boss wall" and i ended up in nightmare loving centipede man land and after noping the gently caress out of that i ended up going to where tengu from space screaming bullet dive into me.

also that armored knight was annoying me until i realized how much the mist raven trivializes the actual fight and then it was all about getting him into position since he loved to keep his back to support beams

Dewgy posted:

Had a no-falls run going, past horsey and the bull, and then a backstab didn't go off and I got gangbanged by the remaining three rifle dudes and the general on the stairs outside Ashina Castle. :negative:

I'm getting videos of every boss fight and miniboss during playthrough 7 though for the hell of it, probably gonna upload them once I'm done. Some of these so far are just silly thinking I got stuck on a bunch of them. Jinsuke Saze went down in 50 seconds, for example. That guy got me like three rounds of Dragonrot on my first playthrough. :haw:

the spoiled person i ended up killing in about two or three tries and feeling very proud of myself before ascending to my immediate death afterward.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I'm up to a certain village now, and one complaint I have is the number of bosses that just straight-up feel like padding. Three of the last four I've beaten Guardian Ape Mk II, Poison Snake Eyes, Glutton, O'Rin have just been "here's that boss from earlier in the game, but this time he summons a really weak add halfway through the fight!" or "here's that boss you already beat, but surrounded by MONKEYS!"

Speaking of monkeys, can you really not use the shinobi finger that makes beasts go crazy to turn the giant monkey that THE MONKEY THAT GAVE YOU THE TOOL IN THE FIRST PLACE summons the second time you fight him? That's even worse than the 'armor-stripping spear' not working against the boss with 'armored' in his name.

On the bright side, I beat O'Rin on my third try without even realizing there was a way to backstab off that first health pip. THAT was a fun fight. The other three, not so much.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I really love this game but I'm a bit disappointed in the music. There's no track that stands out like Snorlax & Pikachu or Gwyn or Gael from Souls, Gehrman or Orphan from Bloodborne. It was all fine and served the atmosphere well but honestly I couldn't pick out any track that made me sit up and take notice of that over what I was doing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yes, I always stealth stab him. I just can't string many good moves together against him before he punishes me. Is jump stomping on his head during perilous attacks reliable, or will he swat me down?

If you can get Seven Spears going up and down the stairs to the little house on top of the hill he's on it's pretty easy to score a bunch of cheap hits as his pathfinding works out what to do.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Cavelcade posted:

I really love this game but I'm a bit disappointed in the music. There's no track that stands out like Snorlax & Pikachu or Gwyn or Gael from Souls, Gehrman or Orphan from Bloodborne. It was all fine and served the atmosphere well but honestly I couldn't pick out any track that made me sit up and take notice of that over what I was doing.

I really like great shinobi for this exact effect, specifically the phase 2 turn

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

dyzzy posted:

I really like great shinobi for this exact effect, specifically the phase 2 turn

I think that might be my pick for favorite track in the game, too

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Cavelcade posted:

I like the places where the creepy flute is playing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Popular Human posted:

On the bright side, I beat O'Rin on my third try without even realizing there was a way to backstab off that first health pip. THAT was a fun fight. The other three, not so much.

How do you do this, I didn't see a way either

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i feel so left out whenever music tracks discussion comes up with from software games because if it’s a boss fight track i’ve never actually organically heard a single one during gameplay over me focusing on beating them, the sound effects from smashes and metal on metal, and listening for attack tells

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How do you do this, I didn't see a way either

Jump on her while she's non-hostile, she'll stagger and you can get behind her.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cowcaster posted:

i feel so left out whenever music tracks discussion comes up with from software games because if it’s a boss fight track i’ve never actually listened to a single one over me focusing on beating them, the sound effects from smashes and metal on metal, and listening for attack tells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mByDcrNSV0

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was watching some youtube video and...You can dive in this game?!?! How the hell did I not realize that this entire time?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Cowcaster posted:

i feel so left out whenever music tracks discussion comes up with from software games because if it’s a boss fight track i’ve never actually organically heard a single one during gameplay over me focusing on beating them, the sound effects from smashes and metal on metal, and listening for attack tells

Literally the only one I could identfy from the entire Souls series if you played it for me is Gwyn’s “sad piano” theme.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I will NOT let you all disrespect Lady Maria's theme like this..

scar, brother, help me~

vvvv

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

This is the best song from a game soundtrack imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RzA_Oomra8

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

veni veni veni posted:

I was watching some youtube video and...You can dive in this game?!?! How the hell did I not realize that this entire time?

You have to beat a certain boss first.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Cowcaster posted:

this is me, i am so narrowly focused on what i am doing that the only time i've actually noticed the music in sekiro is when it stopped entirely and i realized i must be somewhere not great.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

This is the best song from a game soundtrack imo. When it ramps up at around 4 minutes :aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALbVEmzY5S4

yeah this would be a good example because when i killed ludwig pretty much all i heard was the screaming and thrashing of an angry wild horse and the sound of a spinning whirligig saw. what stuck with me more was him finding his guiding moonlight.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Your Computer posted:

how do so many people claim they were "tricked" by the spear conversation and description when it mentions multiple times that it's only effective against enemies with poorly fitting armor and specifically mentions the dude literal meters away from the conversation. Armored Warrior isn't even remotely close by, he's practically on the other side of the world :iiam:

The route I took in my first play through just happened to put all of that really close together (eavesdrop, get spear, fight boss.) My brain's geographic capability had disconnected at that point.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

From a From game, maybe.

The best OST is Nier: Automata.

For From games Gwyn, O&S, and Lady Maria are iconic. I don't really recall any others.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

veni veni veni posted:

Special recognition for also making the dlc trailer hype as gently caress

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

This is my favourite Sekiro song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pPQnhhUqtU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

:hmmyes:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

yeah this would be a good example because when i killed ludwig pretty much all i heard was the screaming and thrashing of an angry wild horse and the sound of a spinning whirligig saw. what stuck with me more was him finding his guiding moonlight.

I find myself much more aware of Fromsoft Soundtracks on a second run of their games. The first time they might as well not even be there since I'm usually so tense lol.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The only Dark Souls music i'd ever recognize is probably the firelink theme. It's so depressingly comfy and barely warming.
The rest of the tracks are just there or some orchestral mishmash trying to distract you from the lightning spear trying to skewer you.

I think the only music in Sekiro i've consciously noticed is that one boss music, and it's because it's kind of grating. You know the one. The one used for what seems like most mini bosses. The rest is just some flavor of tortured strings desperately trying to fill the background.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

one thing I like in Sekiro is the fact that music is omnipresent. Outside of boss fights + firelink, DS1 is super quiet (I think DS3 was similar? I don't remember 2.)

Sekiro, there's always some kind of music playing in the BG, and there's different fight music for each area. It's nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Tying into that, i guess the only time i actually notice the music is when it's, well... not there. Jumping in to certain spooky caves or entering certain passages cuts the music entirely, and it's an effective tool to put you on edge. Doesn't speak too well to the rest of the music that you only notice it when it's gone, but hell, it works.