Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

dissss posted:

Japan luxo-vans are the same as American pickup trucks - the whole point is to look as imposing and ugly as possible.

I’m fond of the 1G Elgrands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
They are at least very practical.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Powershift posted:

No. Asia only.

It's always kind of surprised me that Asian-style executive luxury vans aren't a thing here. The vans are just so much better than a Suburban for back seat room it isn't even funny. Fully-loaded Honda Odysseys and Mercedes Sprinters in black/silver with limo tint a a bit of a thing in some regions, but man does that Suburban reign supreme. Remind me why the Mercedes V-class isn't sold in the USA again?

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Wheeee posted:

this is so absurd it actually owns

100% this. My first thought was that it was so far out there i didn’t know if I should poo poo or go blind. But it’s actually awesome.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

morothar posted:

100% this. My first thought was that it was so far out there i didn’t know if I should poo poo or go blind. But it’s actually awesome.

Same. And it's no more hideous than the loving legions of boxy locomotive inspired luxo-pickups that are hungrily mowing down wildlife and pedestrian alike.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Better looking than the JDM Toyota Alphard at least

I drove one around rural Japan last Christmas and it’s somehow a lot less ugly in person, apart from being an incredibly comfortable place for 5 adults and a lot of luggage :shrug:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Frond posted:

I’m fond of the 1G Elgrands.

I prefer the 2nd gen myself, and the best part is it's built on the same FM platform as the 350Z/Skyline/Infiniti G, so it's basically a drift wagon.

And while the outside of the Alphard/LM might be polarising, the interiors are pimp as poo poo:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

With classier rims and deleting that stupid gawping-maw grille (and shooting the designer at Lexus that mandated it), this would look 400% better.

This is amazing. I want one for an extremely long and pointless road trip, assuming the fixes were made to the outside.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I prefer the 2nd gen myself, and the best part is it's built on the same FM platform as the 350Z/Skyline/Infiniti G, so it's basically a drift wagon.

And while the outside of the Alphard/LM might be polarising, the interiors are pimp as poo poo:

Looks like a fuckin Learjet

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I would rather this than the usual XTS/Tahoe/Suburban for black car service.

While reading up on Japanese minivans I came across this quote for the current gen Nissan Quest.

quote:

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety executive vice president Dave Zuby described it as "one of the worst crash tests we've ever seen." He speculated that "a person experiencing this would be lucky to ever walk normally again.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 17, 2019

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I test drove a beautiful red Regal TourX yesterday. AWD, turbo four... I wish it drove as good as it looked. I swear the auto shifted four times before 20mph and it felt fairly gutless. The electronics all seemed very slow to respond (pushing the home button did nothing, so I pushed it again, and it suddenly went home and back to the radio... also reverse to drive kept the rear camera on for a good five seconds longer which is maybe a feature but seemed like just slow-responding electronics).

It looked good and is practical and the one I drove was only $35k. I guess it's good for the price and seeing as it's one of the few wagons on the market there isn't much to compare it to, but it certainly didn't scream "BUY ME I'M AWESOME" to me.

As an aside, I actually generally liked the layout and feel of the interior, which is something I've never been able to say about a GM car.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Apollo posted:

I would rather this than the usual XTS/Tahoe/Suburban for black car service.

In big cities minivans are used for rideshare pretty often, I've been a passenger in those plenty of times and they do seem to feel better as a backseat passenger than a Suburban etc.

Minivans are quite dope for people moving.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

CornHolio posted:

I test drove a beautiful red Regal TourX yesterday. AWD, turbo four... I wish it drove as good as it looked. I swear the auto shifted four times before 20mph and it felt fairly gutless. The electronics all seemed very slow to respond (pushing the home button did nothing, so I pushed it again, and it suddenly went home and back to the radio... also reverse to drive kept the rear camera on for a good five seconds longer which is maybe a feature but seemed like just slow-responding electronics).

It looked good and is practical and the one I drove was only $35k. I guess it's good for the price and seeing as it's one of the few wagons on the market there isn't much to compare it to, but it certainly didn't scream "BUY ME I'M AWESOME" to me.

As an aside, I actually generally liked the layout and feel of the interior, which is something I've never been able to say about a GM car.

I helped my mom shop for her first ever new car to replace an 04 Outback. Subaru doesn’t make anything that resembles that car anymore since the new Outback and even Crosstrek are far bigger (she needs to reach the roof to put a kayak on it) and I checked out the Buick as well. The price and transmission reviews kept me away. She wound up with a Golf Alltrack and loves it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
....but black Tahoes/Suburbans (and sometimes G.wagens) are used in every TV show and movie for evil governments/oligarchs so those must be better!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
We've got a 1993 Toyota HiAce Super Custom Limited right now and I swear to god it is a Lexus. In an alternate timeline there is an alternate USA where Lexus sold the HiAce next to the LS 400. And stuffed the UZ in it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

if i actually had a family we would roll in the finest minivan Toyota had to offer

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So Mazda was teasing a big announcement for their Skyactive engines today. I was all stoked thinking they'd announce the launch of the Skyactive-X engine. Turns out it was another diesel :flaccid:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lord Stimperor posted:

So Mazda was teasing a big announcement for their Skyactive engines today. I was all stoked thinking they'd announce the launch of the Skyactive-X engine. Turns out it was another diesel :flaccid:

Oh no, we already figured that out in the Mazda thread based on the teaser image, sorry. It's expensive and isn't that great an improvement. I'm not sure if we'll get the Skyactiv-X in North America until the end of the year or next year. First they will go to Europe and Asia.

In other news, there's a 2020 Subaru Outback XT, 260hp 2.4L turbo. CVT only.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/17/2020-subaru-outback-redesigned-new-york-auto-show/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Calling it now - Skyactiv-X will have exactly the same emissions related problems Skyactiv-D did in the US market and will arrive (if at all) late and only in some expensive premium trim.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Also calling it now, Skyactiv-X will get hosed by ethanol and barely run the day out of warranty.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Why the gently caress isn't Mazda putting any effort into electric cars instead of dumb IC engines. I say this as a Mazda fanboy.

I mean, they probably are but they seem way behind the curve.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Previa_fun posted:

Why the gently caress isn't Mazda putting any effort into electric cars instead of dumb IC engines. I say this as a Mazda fanboy.

they have no money and electric cars don't turn a profit

they are going to license tech from a supplier/get bought by another OEM/license tech from another OEM at some point

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Previa_fun posted:

I'm hoping they do more partnerships with Toyota for that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't get why they don't use Toyota hybrid tech more extensively as a stopgap. The hybrid version of the Axela/3 was actually a really good car to drive.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Mazda has neither the economies of scale nor the celebrity clown CEO who appeals to new money imbeciles necessary to make electric worthwhile, they'll just partner with Toyota for the foreseeable future

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

A hybrid with Toyota reliability and Mazda driving dynamics and interior would own bones true.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they have no money and electric cars don't turn a profit

they are going to license tech from a supplier/get bought by another OEM/license tech from another OEM at some point

That's an impressive avatar.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wistful of Dollars posted:

That's an impressive avatar.

FAT32 or some other stupid SE Michigan Stan gave it to me

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

FAT32 or some other stupid SE Michigan Stan gave it to me

I mean, they aren't wrong. Food in Irvine is absolute garbage while food in Detroit is really, really good.

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

BuckyDoneGun posted:

And the best part is that when you're inside, you don't have to look at it!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Remember the goofy Mazda 2 hybrid that used a tiny single-rotor wankel as a generator? Shame they don't do more wild poo poo like that. But yeah, being Toyota's lil' buddy is pretty much their future.

see also: Everything with a Yaris badge now being a Mazda 2.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Those vans are still orders of magnitude better looking than the MK-T.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Just needs to be slammed.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mr. Apollo posted:

While reading up on Japanese minivans I came across this quote for the current gen Nissan Quest.

ow

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Japan wants to kill you for buying a reliable vehicle. Germany just wants to charge you for buying one that isn't.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

I mean, they aren't wrong. Food in Irvine is absolute garbage while food in Detroit is really, really good.

There is really good Korean food in Irvine (CA, to be clear) and Detroit sucks rear end for Asian food.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've spent literal months in Irvine over the last few years and the Korean is mediocre at best, even comparing to other cities in southern California. Irvine is a pit of despair and hopelessness and I sincerely wish to never go back. Even the Korean food truck was garbage. How do you mess that up? I can send you to better Korean places in Baltimore than exist in Irvine.

This also totally ignores the fact that a big part of what makes a regional cuisine 'good' is variety. Detroit doesn't have a big Asian population compared to Irvine, but they have drat near everything else. Even the street tacos in Mexicantown are more legit than the insult to your taste buds you get in Irvine.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 18, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

KillHour posted:

I've spent literal months in Irvine over the last few years and the Korean is mediocre at best, even comparing to other cities in southern California. Irvine is a pit of despair and hopelessness and I sincerely wish to never go back. Even the Korean food truck was garbage. How do you mess that up? I can send you to better Korean places in Baltimore than exist in Irvine.

This also totally ignores the fact that a big part of what makes a regional cuisine 'good' is variety. Detroit doesn't have a big Asian population compared to Irvine, but they have drat near everything else. Even the street tacos in Mexicantown are more legit than the insult to your taste buds you get in Irvine.

Irvine is 95% percent owned by a single company and everything is tightly controlled to the point where every business has a mandated standard font size and type they can use to display business hours on their doors

Also there are no pigeons in the city of Irvine but there are in neighboring cities which is extremely creepy when you think about it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Is it Asian food if I eat Detroit style pizza while watching animes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It should be because that's what I want to be doing instead of sitting on these conference calls.

Are animes billable as research? Asking for a friend.