Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I was driving behind this truck for a while this morning.

I kept waiting for the left side wheels to lift off the ground, but it never did. Is it possible this isn't as dangerous as it looked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Figure the center of mass is the deck of the truck in a line running up the length in the middle. Now imagine a line dangling from the rear of the first line between the axles. That line always points straight down. Now imagine tilting the truck until that dangling line points to the outside of the tire. That's how far it has to tilt before it falls over.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
time works the same way

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I rolled up on this I was confused why this dweeb decided to stop in the middle of the intersection. Was so far out there that cross traffic had to steer around them.

Then a moment later a cop made a left turn and it all fell in to place. Driver was trying to turn left, and saw the patrol car. When the light went red, rather than clearing the intersection like the law as well as common sense allows, they froze because they didn't want to run a red light.

Cop drove off without intervening. :v:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I had to relearn that my dipper is on the floor in the International but I still managed to flash a guy with no lights on, then I nearly got hit by some maniac two cars behind him who was swinging out into the turn lane where I was in to turn left. I got a quick tootle off before he passed, and I registered the awful two tone paint job on a Ford Explorer. Not sure why he didn't light em up though if he was going after slow and dark up front.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/HBUKswm.mp4

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That belongs in the AIest thread

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

This is the correct response to your local U-Haul refusing to offer the sideshow-special 5.3-infused shortbox pickup trucks to younger renters.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I gotta say that is impressive. But in all actually it was probably the brakes locking up for some poor guy trying to move his bedroom out of his parents house.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I love people who don’t budge when you have your turn signal on so you have to force your way in front of them and they get all pissy.

Well if you just let off the gas and let me in, I’m just trying to cut across the road to the next turn lane...

Gonna have to start going another route before one of these truck holes really road rages on me.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Protocol7 posted:

I love people who don’t budge when you have your turn signal on so you have to force your way in front of them and they get all pissy.

Well if you just let off the gas and let me in, I’m just trying to cut across the road to the next turn lane...

Gonna have to start going another route before one of these truck holes really road rages on me.

You have to give more details.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Make a right turn onto a busy street, have to cut across three lanes to get to the next left turn lane at the next intersection 1000 feet down the road. It’s not bad unless it’s rush hour (it was this morning) and with your blinker on people are much more likely to not let you in.

It’s not usually bad enough that you have to force your way in but there’s not really a way to tell until you’re merged onto the road. I just happened to merge in front of a truck guy who clearly was not happy when I, a person with their blinker on for a few seconds to indicate my intent to merge, started merging in front of them.

In the future I’ll probably just try merging onto the desired street another way, but it’s still annoying that people are always offended somehow when you want to merge into their lane. If someone has had their blinker on for a while I try to let them in, it doesn’t affect me at all.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cutting across 3 lanes during rush hour in 1/5 of a mile seems like a nightmare and I’d totally expect people to be lovely about it. I’d just find another way to avoid that.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Not the hero we wanted, but the hero we needed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Using a blinker doesn't give you right of way.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Protocol7 posted:

Make a right turn onto a busy street, have to cut across three lanes to get to the next left turn lane at the next intersection 1000 feet down the road. It’s not bad unless it’s rush hour (it was this morning) and with your blinker on people are much more likely to not let you in.

It’s not usually bad enough that you have to force your way in but there’s not really a way to tell until you’re merged onto the road. I just happened to merge in front of a truck guy who clearly was not happy when I, a person with their blinker on for a few seconds to indicate my intent to merge, started merging in front of them.

In the future I’ll probably just try merging onto the desired street another way, but it’s still annoying that people are always offended somehow when you want to merge into their lane. If someone has had their blinker on for a while I try to let them in, it doesn’t affect me at all.

Im sorry not everyone else caters to your poor route planning

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

xzzy posted:

Using a blinker doesn't give you right of way.

This is false if you drive a large vehicle. My signals aren’t requests, they’re a statement of intent. To be honest I often forgo them entirely because 9/10 drivers here see your turn signal and close any gap instead of giving space.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This is why I'll never get a slow car.

*Blinker on*

*Car in target lane safely behind me downshifts*

*I down shift and pull into the lane, right behind the car in front of the jackass*

*Look in my mirror and watch the guy to see what he does to cope with anger while not having enough car.*

Sometimes it's a her, rarely, but I've been surprised a few times.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

nsaP posted:

My signals aren’t requests, they’re a statement of intent.

It's this. I check to make sure I'm clear with a comfortable margin and no massive speed difference, then signal on, two flashes then over I come.

The only time I use them as a 'request' is if I'm merging from a mostly stopped on ramp onto a mostly stopped highway, to see who will let me in (it's nobody).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Im sorry not everyone else caters to your poor route planning

It is poor route planning, yeah. I even said I'll probably start going another way. Nice try being a smart rear end though.

I'll just never understand why people feel like a blinker is a personal attack, and are doubly surprised when you actually merge in front of them.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
One stubborn idiot meets other stubborn idiots. Stop acting like you're the loving aggrieved party here.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Add'l mileage charge?

worth it

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Proud Christian Mom posted:

One stubborn idiot meets other stubborn idiots. Stop acting like you're the loving aggrieved party here.

Are you trying to tell us something profound here? When I'm on the road, my blinker is law of the land. :v:

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
Went to lunch, saw this on the return trip to work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkKFkes3q00

There was a place to turn around 150 yards up the road.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

nsaP posted:

This is false if you drive a large vehicle. My signals aren’t requests, they’re a statement of intent. To be honest I often forgo them entirely because 9/10 drivers here see your turn signal and close any gap instead of giving space.

It's false in general, no matter what you drive.

As you say, the turn signal is not a request, it's a statement of intent. It's still on me to make sure that I switch lanes safely, but it's also on the drivers around me to not be jackasses and "close the gap" in an attempt to block my maneuver.

Share the road isn't just for bicycles and motorcycles, it's for all road users in all vehicles.

Edit: That having been said, I also don't expect drivers in the lane I'm trying to enter to hit their brakes to accomidate me. It's on me to find a safe gap to enter.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 30, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a huge difference between a turn signal triggering some dweeb to close the gap and using a signal as an excuse to barge into traffic and you all know it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

xzzy posted:

There's a huge difference between a turn signal triggering some dweeb to close the gap and using a signal as an excuse to barge into traffic and you all know it.
Agreed. They're both equally problematic behaviors, and there is a significant overlap between people who feel the need to say "My signals aren’t requests, they’re a statement of intent. To be honest I often forgo them entirely..." and people who do the latter and feign outrage.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
why loving chance it trying to cross a road that way?

longcut made of all right turns is where its at friend.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

sneakyfrog posted:

why loving chance it trying to cross a road that way?

longcut made of all right turns is where its at friend.

Agree. Sometimes it all comes down to planning. If your commute has hosed up intersections or iffy conditions, time to rethink your route.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
If your driving assumes that your blinker is going to make you traffic Moses, your driving is poo poo.

If your route means you're extremely unlikely to make a turn without barging into the street and making people slam on their brakes, your route is poo poo. Doubly so if this involves cutting across three lanes of traffic. (and your driving is still poo poo, and you're eventually going to get ran into when you pull that stunt & the oncoming driver has their face glued to their phone)

Drive under the assumption that nobody's going to make room for you, because they're not. Yes, you should still signal when you're turning/changing lanes, but it's on you to make sure there's enough of a gap to do so. It'd be nice if people let you in, but we've all been on the road enough to know that 99% of them aren't going to.

xzzy posted:

:emptyquote:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I already admitted that taking route is a poo poo idea and I'll find another way in the future, and only really pondered that I'll never understand why people are suddenly assholes whenever turn signals are involved. There's always room for improvement in everyone's driving and I'm going to leave it at that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It is a fair question and it is probably because people had a lovely day at work and are tired of someone pulling out of a starbucks or cvs that is on the corner for thre 5,000th time when all they want to do is get home.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you make people stop or slow down in the right of way you are a colossal cock

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Was sure I was gonna see some dude get run into a ditch earlier today. Some beater Civic was tailgating this new Camero, and when traffic allowed, got in front of it. If the Camero guy did anything he did it before I showed up, and I was expecting some serious roadrage. Camero guy kept his distance, avoided a brake-check, and ignored the guy. Wonders will never cease.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Krakkles posted:

Agreed. They're both equally problematic behaviors, and there is a significant overlap between people who feel the need to say "My signals aren’t requests, they’re a statement of intent. To be honest I often forgo them entirely..." and people who do the latter and feign outrage.

The counterpoint to this is that there's a huge overlap in the group of people who treat their turn signals as requests to change lanes and those that create huge traffic jams when they slow to a stop because no one is honoring their polite request.

In my opinion, the proper usage is to find a gap, signal intent, then actually follow through by making the move.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I live in an area where traffic is pretty well-regulated. But even here I know at least a couple of spots that can be really hard to cross, and where you almost need the cooperation of your fellow drivers to let you (or them) in. Most of the times that works really well. But every now and then someone is not familiar with that location or didn't pay attention and it might get hairy then. If everyone agreed that they were supposed to help each other get to their destinations, it would be so much easier. But I guess we wouldn't have this thread, then.

I've stopped being mad at people who cut in front of me when changing lanes if they at least indicate so that I'm warned. Today I've had someone shift between lanes 4 times, drive between two lanes for a bit, and then take a turn, without ever using their indicators, or appearing to at least look whether there's space for them. Contrary to the examples discussed above, that guy (probably) didn't have any excuse for his behaviour, was just actively (= not by mistake) being an rear end.

(Yes it was a BMW why do you ask?)

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

(Yes it was a BMW why do you ask?)

*guy pointing to his head and smiling* Can't get into an argument about turn signals if you've never used them before.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Protocol7 posted:

Still in Denver?

Anyway I just wanted to make a neutral post that I feel you.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

StormDrain posted:

Still in Denver?

Anyway I just wanted to make a neutral post that I feel you.

Moved 50 miles south to the Springs actually. Too expensive in Denver. And if I was still commuting in Denver daily I’d have had a stroke by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Today, in one trip, I witnessed the following events:

A backhoe with what appeared to be a broken tie rod drunk-walking back and forth across a two lane road at 20ish mph. The backhoe was driven by a shirtless man, being followed by a brodozer driven by a second shirtless man.

A Papa John's delivery vehicle weaving back and forth at 15 mph like a drunk. This was 3 pm in front of a school. When the driver saw my camera, he slowly, lumberingly pulled into the nearest parking lot.

A gigantic pickup truck towing a trailer carrying a second gigantic pickup truck. One tire (of duallies) was completely hanging off the edge, and the inner tire appeared flat. The bed of the truck on the trailer contained unsecured scrap metal.

The pizza driver's photos have been sent to the local store because Jesus loving Christ. The others remain unresolved.