Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it’s security-related software so almost certainly everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

wow rude

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

power botton posted:

what's so lovely about splunk in production

it costs One Billion Dollars

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
my anecdote is that splunk costs way too loving much for the amount of work you have to do on it and the biggest blocker to success is the infrastructure it runs on

basically the useabilty is demonstrably not worth the huge cost increase. it was sick about 7 years ago before there was any competitor in the space

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah splunk is good but it is stupidly expensive

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

humio. works pretty well except joins are a "coming soon" feature

Wow that's aggressive Splunk like pricing.

Which tier are you on? How is this not a billion dollars?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

power botton posted:

what's so lovely about splunk in production
Splunk is the best thing in town and they loving know it. It costs all the dollars.

Soricidus posted:

hey now

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the splunk servers to index and store the logs are also more numerous than the app servers

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
i have strong opinions about splunk despite being someone who maintains a splunk environment. it's not recommended

also

https://twitter.com/notdan/status/1134559331989434368

also lol

https://twitter.com/nginxorg/status/1134524968052690944

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Mustache Ride posted:

Wow that's aggressive Splunk like pricing.

Which tier are you on? How is this not a billion dollars?

I'm dealing with the hardware and not so much the purchasing end of this, we wanted a 2-3TB/day license for splunk who demanded something in the 7 figgie range and humio is something like an order of magnitude (maybe two) cheaper for unlimited. Devs and support have been extremely good to work with, they're a bit green for the enterprise space though so there are growing pains but its getting better fast. It runs on sequential large-block IO with no indexing so specing the hardware is a completely different beast from Splunk. Read all the data in the time range off disk as fast as possible, regex it and discard what you don't want

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
it's very likely that when i return to work late in the summer that i'll be migrating off of splunk to something else. elastic is a consideration but i am all ears on what everyone else is doing. humio does interest me but i am also nervous about a company green in the enterprise state

right now we're looking to do 600 GB/day by the end of the year and i can tell that the splunk sales rep we have is dying for us to ask for a quote. he also knows that i am extremely unhappy with him as well as my boss so this ought to be entertaining

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Lain Iwakura posted:

it's very likely that when i return to work late in the summer that i'll be migrating off of splunk to something else. elastic is a consideration but i am all ears on what everyone else is doing. humio does interest me but i am also nervous about a company green in the enterprise state

right now we're looking to do 600 GB/day by the end of the year and i can tell that the splunk sales rep we have is dying for us to ask for a quote. he also knows that i am extremely unhappy with him as well as my boss so this ought to be entertaining

we were in a similar position, looking to double our ingest license with even more on the horizon and the negotiations went back and for over a year with their people and our execs and every single time they refused to budge a single cent and pissed our people off so bad that we burned the bridge down. they won't play ball, I wouldn't even bother after they give you the first quote.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Lain Iwakura posted:

Managed elastic, or run your own elastic ?

The recent fall out between elastic and amazon has been very funny and they have had to open source most of the useful enterprise features like authentication

I'm dealing with the hardware and not so much the purchasing end of this, we wanted a 2-3TB/day license for splunk who demanded something in the 7 figgie range and humio is something like an order of magnitude (maybe two) cheaper for unlimited. Devs and support have been extremely good to work with, they're a bit green for the enterprise space though so there are growing pains but its getting better fast. It runs on sequential large-block IO with no indexing so specing the hardware is a completely different beast from Splunk. Read all the data in the time range off disk as fast as possible, regex it and discard what you don't want

I'd be interested in hearing how hum.io works out, we'd briefly looked at them for a 50TB / day workload but had concerns about how new it was.

jre fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 31, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lain Iwakura posted:

he also knows that i am extremely unhappy with him as well as my boss so this ought to be entertaining

back and for over a year with their people and our execs and every single time they refused to budge a single cent and pissed our people off so bad

Those peeps are literally throwing money out the window, it's amazing. Especially B2B discounting increased licensing is such a cheap way to keep people happy.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

uhh that sounds really bad, surely it must be indexed by something (timestamp?)

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
keyboard splunk

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

abigserve posted:

probably just partitioned by hour or something

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
As someone who's owned a multi-10's-of-tb/day splunk deployment and now managing a piddly single gig one, they can mostly gently caress right off, they know they're best in class all around in ~enterprise~ land.

That said, Humio are good people and I have enjoyed my interactions with them in sales and non-sales related encounters. I look forward to throwing them some dollars to grow what I believe what will be a new first in class application.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
why would they give a company that close of a name to spunk

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Elysiume posted:

I assume it's a play on spelunk

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Captain Foo posted:

I assume it's a play on spelunk

Why would they make the word for "exploring caves" so close to sp—

oh

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elysiume posted:

i'm not entirely convinced it isn't people in this thread trying to force a new meme like chome

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Stymie posted:

i'm not entirely convinced it isn't people in this thread trying to force a new meme like chome

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

please go into more mundane detail about corporate software pre sales and everyone's relationship to all the salespeople and what you talked about over lunch

or you could start fighting the good fight

https://www.change.org/p/slim-jim-i-want-there-to-be-an-official-slim-jim-emoji-328176e6-ced8-43e4-84bd-175c983da603/

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Blow nginx out its aes with this latest RCE PoC.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

lain you've got to stop repeating yourself

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:hmmyes:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Soricidus posted:

Not gonna lie. I feel this in my bones

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

lain you've got to stop repeating yourself

https://twitter.com/notdan/status/1134820610570313728?s=21

:rip:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

abigserve posted:

It does file segmentation based on some metadata tagging and time stamp so I knows what files contain the data you want, but there’s no indexing. Basically you give it sequential IO optimized storage (typically 64gbps is your limit for an 8x pcie storage controller) the compressed files are pulled off disk and your search filter is applied in real-time. In practice, that 64gbps results in about 64GB/s of logs search after deflation (matches really well against the 32c Epyc sockets) per controller and it scales wide really well. They also added in bloom filters for certain fields so it knows what file segments it can skip because there’s no data there and that can see upwards of a 5x performance increase in search speed from it. It’s weird but it works, you’ll need local storage because there’s no way to get enough storage bandwidth on ethernet to feed the thing.

jre posted:

I'd be interested in hearing how hum.io works out, we'd briefly looked at them for a 50TB / day workload but had concerns about how new it was.

Be aware that they will advertise absurd ingest numbers and can absolutely hit them, but that’s because they’re taking the logs from the wire, running the real-time dashes against them before archiving the logs to disk. If you plan on searching through a deep retention of logs on a regular basis, you’re going to need a lot more CPU and disk to handle that use case. For reference, I’m building a platform that can search ~1.5TB/s of logs on about 350k of hw.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It was loving great is wht it was.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
the sec gently caress here imo is that curl will decode any old thing

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
nah, i'm pretty confident the secfuck is the dumb timeline we live in where it has somehow become normal and expected for people to paste commands into terminals that pipe curl output into a shell

and where people will actually do that, for a command that they have explicitly been told is a loving code execution exploit. because if you can't trust exploit writers to not serve you an exploit, who can you trust?!!!

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Blinkz0rz posted:

curl's job is to just dump whatever the server responds with, usually to stdout; that is its whole purpose. Piping it blindly to sh on the other hand...

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

On a very related note

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1131550912256839680

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

ewiley posted:

curl's job is to just dump whatever the server responds with, usually to stdout; that is its whole purpose. Piping it blindly to sh on the other hand...

i was referring to it decoding the hex and connecting

dummies piping output to sh is a whole different gently caress up

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Blinkz0rz posted:

i was referring to it decoding the hex and connecting

that's not a curl thing. try it with wget: same thing. try it in your web browser address bar: yup, that probably accepts hex too, at least firefox and safari both do.

sorry you don't like the standard behavior of the internet :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lol 99% code in production is unknown these days

"npm install" *10 billion lines of dependencies scroll by* "yep looks good to me, ship it!"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Soricidus posted:

that's not a curl thing. try it with wget: same thing. try it in your web browser address bar: yup, that probably accepts hex too, at least firefox and safari both do.

sorry you don't like the standard behavior of the internet :shrug:

that’s all bullshit left over from people getting cute with address parsing in the BSD inet4 utilities. it’s not in a standard (afaik) and nothing should support it. no legitimate use case needs to express a v4 address as undifferentiated 32-bit integer syntax; its only useful for phishing and such. I tried to kill it from Firefox like 15 years ago because people also wanted to support the IE nonsense of http://531.202.330.721/, but nooooo.

0x0238f06a should be interpreted as a hostname!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Blinkz0rz posted:

why does executing arbitrary code run the arbitrary code? good question.