Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nice! They really loved tobacco and ascribed it all kinds of curative powers. I have an ancestor (lived 1830–98) who was asthmatic & apparently for this the cure was blowing tobacco smoke down his lungs :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Alhazred posted:

Piercing the heart with a long needle with a flag at the end, which would wave if the heart were still beating.

"Yup, he's dead now."

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nicotine is a stimulant, isn't it? I suspect that the tobacco smoke up the bunghole trick worked once for something and somehow just caught on.

Krankenstyle posted:

Nice! They really loved tobacco and ascribed it all kinds of curative powers. I have an ancestor (lived 1830–98) who was asthmatic & apparently for this the cure was blowing tobacco smoke down his lungs :shrug:

Is this how he died?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Ignatz Semmelweis, the guy who suggested that maybe washing your hands between dissecting cadavers and helping deliver babies might be the key to cutting down on the number of mothers dying in childbirth was shamed out of the medical profession for daring to suggest that a doctor's hands might be dirty

He also had a mental breakdown and spent the rest of his life in an insane asylum because nobody believed him.

E: if you haven’t yet, go watch The Knick. It’s a fictional, stylized version of early 1900’s medicine in NYC and it’s loving great.

Cacafuego has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Jun 9, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Nicotine is a stimulant, isn't it? I suspect that the tobacco smoke up the bunghole trick worked once for something and somehow just caught on.

Is this how he died?

Don't know, the burial record doesn't say & there doesn't appear to be a doctor's death certificate. I don't think they bothered with those if the death could be attributed to "old age". Family history says he was bedridden in his last years.

e: Looking through military rolls, he was apparently considered fit for service on a navy ship in 1852 (age 22) but is noted to have a "weakly countenance" in 1862 and in 1864 (age 34) he is struck from the rolls as brystsyg (chest-ill)

Note that brystsyg was a very general term, also used for tuberculosis, pneumonia, etc.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Jun 9, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cacafuego posted:

He also had a mental breakdown and spent the rest of his life in an insane asylum because nobody believed him.

E: if you haven’t yet, go watch The Knick. It’s a fictional, stylized version of early 1900’s medicine in NYC and it’s loving great.

Discworld has a running joke about how no one in Ankh-Morpork trusts a doctor to accomplish anything but make death more elaborate and expensive besides the horse doctor who has to actually get results, and a competent doctor trained in the Middle East equivalent is considered a laughable quack, and if anything it's nowhere near insane enough.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Zopotantor posted:

You can build ships out of concrete. There's an old one beached at Aptos (near Santa Cruz), CA.

And in my experience, it's almost a legal requirement that they be named with some kind of concrete-based pun - I know of one called 'Maid of Crete' and another called Cretegaff.

Concrete shipbuilders have a ponderous sense of humour.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Pookah posted:

Concrete shipbuilders have a ponderous sense of humour.

Much like the ships they build.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

chitoryu12 posted:

I think that’s actually where the phrase “blowing smoke up my rear end” came from, when people began doubting that it really worked. It was so accepted as a drowning treatment that many boats carried kits for it.

The belief was real, but it's not the original of the phrase. The phrase only goes back to WW2.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Going through old medical literature is great. I remember one article that started like this

"For the first time, surgeons have successfully transplanted a heart from one tadpole to another. The animal is recovering well, and seeing good functionality in both hearts

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Much like the ships they build.

much like youre posting

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Pretend I posted that tweet about being an old time doctor, just drunk as hell like yeah you got ghosts in your blood, u should do cocaine about it

Before the advent of actual evidence-based medicine, doctors were loving morons

Ignatz Semmelweis, the guy who suggested that maybe washing your hands between dissecting cadavers and helping deliver babies might be the key to cutting down on the number of mothers dying in childbirth was shamed out of the medical profession for daring to suggest that a doctor's hands might be dirty

Semmelweis was not entirely rigorous with his science, bad at communication, and kind of a jerk.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Jun 9, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Adorable. I hope she got home okay on the sick golihis. :ohdear:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Adorable. I hope she got home okay on the sick golihis. :ohdear:

soldier

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Translation for brokebrains that can't read cursive?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Queen_Combat posted:

Translation for brokebrains that can't read cursive?

My attempt:

My cat, I had her four
months in the army. She was
not afraid of horses, guns or any noise.
Used(?) to be with me on [?????]
purred(?) herself to [?????] my arm. I sent
her home by a sick(?) ???

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Kennel posted:

My attempt:

My cat, I had her four
Used(?) to be with me on [?????]
purred(?) herself to [?????] my arm. I sent
her home by a sick(?) ???

Went to be with me on [Proper Noun] & [Proper Noun]
I sent her home by a sick soldier

ed: not normandy

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Virginia (born in SE [???] Ohio[?])
Became attached Oct 19 1861

[Illegible]

My cat, I had her four months in the army. She was not afraid of horses, guns or any noise, used to be with me on picket & seemingly lulled herself to sleep unde[r] my arm. I sent her home by a sick soldier.

[e:] Ohio might be wrong, it could be a mangling of some native american name or a somewhere nicknamed chia? and seemingly is actually regularly

Jaguars! has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Jun 10, 2019

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Apparently the "tobacco smoke enema" is both a fantastic username and something Europeans adopted from the Native Americans, and I'm desperately hoping it was just the world's greatest joke played on the white man.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

That's not "Ohio", it's "SCeceshia" [sic]. "Secesh" was a nickname for the Confederates, so Seceshia is the South, "land of secession".

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

That makes sense, I just wasted 1/2 hour at work looking for likely placenames in Virginia :D

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jaguars! posted:

Virginia (born in SE [???] Ohio[?])
Became attached Oct 19 1861

[Illegible]

My cat, I had her four months in the army. She was not afraid of horses, guns or any noise, used to be with me on picket & seemingly lulled herself to sleep unde[r] my arm. I sent her home by a sick soldier.

“Regularly buried herself to sleep”, not “seemingly lulled herself to sleep”.

I concur with “born in Seceschia”.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Platystemon posted:

“Regularly buried herself to sleep”, not “seemingly lulled herself to sleep”.

I concur with “born in Seceschia”.
The "illegible" bit says "Portrait of". And I am pretty sure, being a cat, she "purred herself to sleep".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

As a connoisseur of cursive, it's this:

quote:

Virginia (born in SCeceshia)
became attached Oct 1st 1861

Portrait of
My cat, I had Her four
went to be with me on Picket & regularly
purred herself to sleep inside[sic!] my arm. I sent
her home by a sick soldier.

Also that's a very good drawing. Who was the soldier who made it?

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 03:36 on Jun 10, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The earliest recorded incidence of catloaf.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

If you wanted to curse someone in ancient Rome you could buy prewritten curse tablets. All you had to do was to add your victim's name on it.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Jun 10, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alhazred posted:

If you wanted to curse someone in ancient Rome you could buy prewritten curse tablets. All you had to was to add your victim's name on it.

Can I have my slave chisel it in or is that not conducive to effective hexing?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Platystemon posted:

Lol, just lol if you don't have Enriqius chisel bespoke curses specifically tailored to your enemies

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
PAVLA DEAN: If you don't have home-grown curses, store bought is fine.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Platystemon posted:

The tablets were made out of lead so you didn't have to chisel it.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PMush Perfect posted:

PAVLA DEAN: If you don't have home-grown curses, store bought is fine.

it was the barefoot contessa you ignoramous

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Right, sorry. PAVLA DEAN is the one who carves all her curses into sticks of butter.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
e;fb

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some of the curse tablets:
"I bind you Theodotis, daughter of Eus, to the tail of the snake and the head of the crocodile and the horns of the ram and the poison of the asp and the hairs of the cat and the appendage of the gods, so that you may not ever be able to have sex with another man or be screwed or buggered or give oral sex or take pleasure with another man, except me alone Ammonion the son of Hermitaris."

"O thunder-and-lightning-hurling Iao, strike, bind, bind together Babylas the greengrocer. As you struck the chariot of Pharaoh, so strike Babylas' offensiveness."

"Let burning heat consume the sexual parts of Allous, [her] vulva, [her] members, until she leaves the household of Apollonios. Lay Allous low with fever, with sickness unceasing,…insolence, hatred, obnoxiousness until she departs the household of Apollonios."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Some of the curse tablets:
"I bind you Theodotis, daughter of Eus, to the tail of the snake and the head of the crocodile and the horns of the ram and the poison of the asp and the hairs of the cat and the appendage of the gods, so that you may not ever be able to have sex with another man or be screwed or buggered or give oral sex or take pleasure with another man, except me alone Ammonion the son of Hermitaris."

"O thunder-and-lightning-hurling Iao, strike, bind, bind together Babylas the greengrocer. As you struck the chariot of Pharaoh, so strike Babylas' offensiveness."

"Let burning heat consume the sexual parts of Allous, [her] vulva, [her] members, until she leaves the household of Apollonios. Lay Allous low with fever, with sickness unceasing,…insolence, hatred, obnoxiousness until she departs the household of Apollonios."

So they were mostly cursing women and retail workers, huh? Some things never change.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

2:30 AM back in 1987

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

So they were mostly cursing women and retail workers, huh? Some things never change.

They were also cursing sport teams they didn't like.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

what did a Roman "i wanna see your manager" haircut look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cacafuego posted:

what did a Roman "i wanna see your manager" haircut look like?

Heavily curled, probably as a blonde wig (a very prestigious style for wealthy women).