Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
BMW is no longer bringing wagons here right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Russian Bear posted:

Anyways, how about this wagon?

My main complaint with small wagons, whose utility is always espoused, is the surprisingly small cargo space. My 2013 Honda Fit has more cargo space than this BMW (and even the E class wagon), which is 2 classes bigger in car size. Maybe focus groups don't care about having 60+ cubic feet of cargo room? Most hatchbacks, like a GTI/Golf have the same amount of cargo room as this at 52 cubic feet, what's the point besides buying a different kind of german mechanical mess?

Cargo volume of a 2019 Honda Fit is 16.6 cubic feet versus an E class wagon's 35 cubic feet. You're comparing seat down volume with seat up volume.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

BMW is no longer bringing wagons here right?

Correct

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Bring My Wagon

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Russian Bear posted:

Maybe focus groups don't care about having 60+ cubic feet of cargo room?

Most people don't, except in the sense of bigger number = more better. Most people, on most days, could get by fine with the amount of space in the average sedan, and that's like that half of that. A lot of the stuff that won't fit in a sedan with the rear seats folded down is stuff that's just a little bit too big or that's super unwieldy to load into a sedan, and that's where anything with a hatch comes in handy.

Like, I've transported a ton of drywall and cement board in my mom's Sentra sedan with no problem at all. I transported enough flooring to cover two large rooms in my old E46 coupe. It would have been much easier if either of those cars had a hatch, but the issue had nothing to do with actual cargo volume.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

i mean you can measure cargo room in cubic feet but obviously that doesnt account for the shape of that space. can you fit a big dog in the hatch area of a honda fit? most wagons and CUVs can have two medium/large dogs standing up in the back of the cargo area.

Easy. I'll raise you, one medium airline crate, one 50lb dog - not in the crate, two 10lb dogs - they usually hang out in the crate, a 6 foot human sitting on the 40 of the 60/40 partition in the back seat, a duffle bag and backpack along with the two humans in the front of course. Two med/large dogs would be easy since the cargo space is taller than you'll get in any of these small euro wagons. Sadly I think in the new Fits are a little smaller in the back by 5 cubic feet or so, but I don't know where they lost the space. I love this tiny car.

Charles posted:

Cargo volume of a 2019 Honda Fit is 16.6 cubic feet versus an E class wagon's 35 cubic feet. You're comparing seat down volume with seat up volume.

I'm comparing both with their back seats down, ie max volume. It looks like they made the 2017+ E wagon up to 64 cubic feet though so never mind that one. The 2016, which i remembered from before had 57 which is the same as the 2013 fit.

Paradoxish posted:

Most people don't, except in the sense of bigger number = more better. Most people, on most days, could get by fine with the amount of space in the average sedan, and that's like that half of that. A lot of the stuff that won't fit in a sedan with the rear seats folded down is stuff that's just a little bit too big or that's super unwieldy to load into a sedan, and that's where anything with a hatch comes in handy.

Like, I've transported a ton of drywall and cement board in my mom's Sentra sedan with no problem at all. I transported enough flooring to cover two large rooms in my old E46 coupe. It would have been much easier if either of those cars had a hatch, but the issue had nothing to do with actual cargo volume.

I actually really love the Audi A7 for its hatch and absolutely gorgeous lines even though I think sedans are dumb.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 13, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh man, those new 3 series wagons look good. I would buy one. :sigh:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Russian Bear posted:

I actually really love the Audi A7 for its hatch and absolutely gorgeous lines even though I think sedans are dumb.

With seats down both the A5 and A7 have longer storage than a short bed pick up

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If not for the pillarless doors, I'd be driving a Sportback today.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Zorak of Michigan posted:

If not for the pillarless doors, I'd be driving a Sportback today.

Can you elaborate on this a bit more?

Also the stinger resolves this issue.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

When I was shopping for a new car last year, I almost talked myself into an S5 Sportback, but I hate pillarless doors. My family has had two Subarus with pillarless doors and they all had the seal between window and roof go back after about five years, creating pretty unpleasant wind noise. I know Audi tries to combat that by having the window extend in to the seal on the frame, but that means it actually has to drop the window slightly before you can open the door. If you get freezing rain, you can get frozen out of your car. Freezing rain being a fairly common thing in Michigan, I went for an S4, and windows that run inside the door frame.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Zorak of Michigan posted:

When I was shopping for a new car last year, I almost talked myself into an S5 Sportback, but I hate pillarless doors. My family has had two Subarus with pillarless doors and they all had the seal between window and roof go back after about five years, creating pretty unpleasant wind noise. I know Audi tries to combat that by having the window extend in to the seal on the frame, but that means it actually has to drop the window slightly before you can open the door. If you get freezing rain, you can get frozen out of your car. Freezing rain being a fairly common thing in Michigan, I went for an S4, and windows that run inside the door frame.

For what it’s worth, Subaru’s frameless window quality has always seemed quite bad in my experience (and may be why they don’t do them anymore). My old E46 BMW has frameless windows with the auto-dip function and they’ve never been a problem even in cold/snow/ice. But I also don’t live in Michigan.

The worst part about frameless windows is your dumb friends that close the door by pushing on the glass instead of the door itself.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Guinness posted:

For what it’s worth, Subaru’s frameless window quality has always seemed quite bad in my experience (and may be why they don’t do them anymore). My old E46 BMW has frameless windows with the auto-dip function and they’ve never been a problem even in cold/snow/ice. But I also don’t live in Michigan.

Just to add an alternative anecdote, my E46s both had issues with the windows freezing and this is in the relatively mild winters of CT. It was never a huge deal that couldn't be solved by a few gentle bangs near the top of the glass, but it was a thing that happened.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I used to carry a metal golf ball divot fixer on my keys so I could pry my doors open in winter

Do not miss winter

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i only had one or two issues with my E82 and the frameless BMW windows, both due to freezing rain, but it seems like frameless windows in general are a stupid design choice that serves no real purpose

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

My main gripe with frameless windows is when people get out of my car and close it with the glass instead of the door and it drives me OCD batty.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wheeee posted:

I used to carry a metal golf ball divot fixer on my keys so I could pry my doors open in winter

Do not miss winter

I'm so happy to have a garage at both home and work. Not having to scrape, defrost or plug in over night is so nice.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'm so happy to have a garage at both home and work. Not having to scrape, defrost or plug in over night is so nice.

Let's not forget the giant fuckoff hail we get a few times per year, too!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Is this thread dissing the radness that is frameless windows?!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Olympic Mathlete posted:

They have gone mad. Frameless is cool, window frame means you are a dork loser. Sorry losers, does burn out in his 55 Bel Air hardtop. Later gator.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

There's really no cover at all where I work. It sucks. A buddy of mine got hail damage on literally every panel of a Mustang he had just bought a few years back while he was on position and couldn't get out to at least try to get it to the handicap spots which were the only option.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fknlo posted:

There's really no cover at all where I work. It sucks. A buddy of mine got hail damage on literally every panel of a Mustang he had just bought a few years back while he was on position and couldn't get out to at least try to get it to the handicap spots which were the only option.

On the plus side, if you don't mind a dented-to-gently caress car, hail sales are great! You can get a brand new car that runs perfectly, but has significant cosmetic damage, for a song.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

PT6A posted:

oh yeah, can't forget the hail.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

oh yeah, can't forget the hail.

Well, you can, you just need to take a direct strike.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

opengl128 posted:

My main gripe with frameless windows is when people get out of my car and close it with the glass instead of the door and it drives me OCD batty.

I'm not OCD about anything with my car. I don't care if you get into my car with shoes covered in mud or if you're eating the flakiest croissant ever or dripping melty ice cream all over the seats. You do you, I don't mind cleaning my car.

But people closing my doors by the windows was a bridge too far and I think it's the only car related thing I've ever actually gotten pissy at someone about.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I dunno. For the same reason that I would get annoyed at people for example eating some candy and just dropping the wrapper in my sofa, I'd get annoyed if they did it in my car. Lack of respect basically. Also, cleaning the inside of cars is boring as gently caress, so I try to keep it clean so I don't have to do it that often. I do not enjoy driving in a pigsty neither.

I can tell you this, no one is eating in my car because there is a 90% I'll have to spend ages cleaning that poo poo after.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

"I don't like frameless windows" here, "I wish I didn't have to own a car" in another thread, what the hell is going on in Automotive Insanity?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Grakkus posted:

"I don't like frameless windows" here, "I wish I didn't have to own a car" in another thread, what the hell is going on in Automotive Insanity?

Automotive Senility

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Grakkus posted:

The world has moved on

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Frameless windows kick rear end, you guys obviously don't understand the value of looking fly when you step out of your Mustang with the windows down.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

Frameless windows kick rear end, you guys obviously don't understand the value of looking fly when you step out of your Mustang with the windows down.

Or how fly you look when you're frantically trying to get in your model 3 when it's 10 degrees outside but the doors won't open because the windows are frozen.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Going outside when it's freezing lmao

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fknlo posted:

Or how fly you look when you're frantically trying to get in your model 3 when it's 10 degrees outside but the doors won't open because the windows are frozen.

don't those shits have climate apps so you can have it warm up while you're getting ready for work?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

fknlo posted:

its trying to protect you from being burned to death after it slams you into a wall

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Paradoxish posted:

I don't care if you get into my car with shoes covered in mud or if you're eating the flakiest croissant ever or dripping melty ice cream all over the seats. You do you, I don't mind cleaning my car.

This seems like a highly unusual opinion? Usually people that share this opinion are ok with it because they never clean the interior, which is a ton of folks and I guess that's fine.

Melty crap can easily create permanent stains that can't be cleaned, and eating anything (especially crumby crumbs) can explode crumbs into every nook and cranny, some of which are very hard or impossible to clean.

IMHO consistently eating in a car is one of the most common causes for used cars seeming 'old' or 'tired' because my theory is there's a ton of crap in tiny spots that will never, ever be cleaned until the car is scrapped.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Guinness posted:

The worst part about frameless windows is your dumb friends that close the door by pushing on the glass instead of the door itself.

opengl128 posted:

Don’t be friends with these people.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Don’t be friends with these people.

People loving love to touch glass. Glass door with big rear end bars on it that are clearly there for you to push on? Yeah right, that thing is covered in AIDs, gotta touch that glass baby!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Whenever I HAVE to touch glass to open something, it feels weird.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Something Offal posted:

This seems like a highly unusual opinion? Usually people that share this opinion are ok with it because they never clean the interior, which is a ton of folks and I guess that's fine.

Melty crap can easily create permanent stains that can't be cleaned, and eating anything (especially crumby crumbs) can explode crumbs into every nook and cranny, some of which are very hard or impossible to clean.

IMHO consistently eating in a car is one of the most common causes for used cars seeming 'old' or 'tired' because my theory is there's a ton of crap in tiny spots that will never, ever be cleaned until the car is scrapped.

I would the opposite is true. I've only ever heard a few people say no eating in their car. Most people don't care because lol why would you.

Its a car. It's going to get used. Get dirty. You can clean up crumbs and spills and such. Sure, you might end up with some petrified fries under a seat somewhere, but as long as you vacuum the car out every once in a while you're fine.

Honestly, people who insist on keeping their car pristine at all times are weirder to me. I mean, I get mine detailed like once a month or so, but at the end of the day it's a car. It's going to get rained on, get dirty, get scratches and stuff, so it's not worth the extra effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
i eat and drink in my car and it gets dirty and i carry crap in it because its really cool but its a loving tool and not a museum piece