Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Time for go to dead :hehe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think the part where I was done with Brutal Doom proper, apart from the racism, was when the dude modded in the Doom 3 zombie noises or whatever for all the zombie enemies. Holy poo poo do they sound terrible and out of place, as well as being stupidly loving loud.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I have learned to love brutal doom, or at least one very specific part of it.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
last one I promise. I hope.

brutaldoomimp.bmp returns to the place from whence he spawned: the front of a lovely carnival ride.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Quake Live in the Doom 2 engine! With Quake Champions maps in, too.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/439546320?t=01h26m40s

Also can we please agree that Tasty Spleen is cool and good?

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 15, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

toasterwarrior posted:

I think the part where I was done with Brutal Doom proper, apart from the racism, was when the dude modded in the Doom 3 zombie noises or whatever for all the zombie enemies. Holy poo poo do they sound terrible and out of place, as well as being stupidly loving loud.

Tbf, those were the rejected sounds from Doom 3 made by Trent Reznor.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The only good thing about Brutal Doom is that I'm pretty sure Project Brutality is originally a BD fork? And Project Brutality is rad.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

treat posted:

last one I promise. I hope.

brutaldoomimp.bmp returns to the place from whence he spawned: the front of a lovely carnival ride.

I knew I had seen that guy somewhere isn't he in that band Aerosmimp?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Guillermus posted:

Most people hate it because of the creator.

I hate it because it's not fun.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

doctorfrog posted:

I know y'all hate Brutal Doom, but I fire it up now and then and just enjoy how dumb and loud it is. Then I miss jump kicking a low-health enemy in the head and seeing blood fountain out of its neck-hole.

This image, though, looks like something entirely different is happening.

He's slamming the know head into the wall and it looks terrible

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

DatonKallandor posted:

The only good thing about Brutal Doom is that I'm pretty sure Project Brutality is originally a BD fork? And Project Brutality is rad.

yeah, it definitely is, but it's like an older build and they put in effort to scrub out some of the stupider poo poo it feels like. still got some of that weird brutal doom grodiness going on at times but there might be options to turn it off? it's a good mod, in any case.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

I hate it because it's not fun.

That's fine. I don't hate it, I just stopped liking it when it started to get way too many features. When it was just extra blood, fixed shotgun and flipping the bird with Danny Glover's voice was enough.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gently caress yeah Civvie did a video on one of the best games ever; MDK

https://youtu.be/4EFhCaeoJsI

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

verbal enema posted:

Sick

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

Tbf, those were the rejected sounds from Doom 3 made by Trent Reznor.

Ah, that explains why. Guess they were rejected for very good reasons!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

verbal enema posted:

MDK is so good and I wish Earthworm 3D had been good and that the creator wasn't a bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I had MDK2 for the dreamcast and Id like to take a moment to say gently caress MDK2

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I followed a trail of twitter breadcrumbs from Civvie's video and ended up at John Tennaple's faucet of word diarrhea. That guy tweets an impressive number of times per day for someone with at least one thumb perpetually up his rear end. He seems to think of himself as "too edgy for the mainstream perspective" but he's more like a bland & boring bowl of iceberg lettuce that says bigoted poo poo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What are some games with good superweapons? Doom's BFG is probably the best, given its power, utility, and the fact that you typically get enough ammo to keep it in your regular weapon rotation. I found Blood's to be pretty underwhelming, especially compared to the Napalm's secondary fire.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Does Unreal Tournaments The Redeemer count?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Blood doesn't have a super weapon (neither does Duke I guess, they both have a rapid mini rocket launcher at best).
Good super weapons, I've already mentioned the Cleric's last weapon from Hexen it shoots a ball that explodes into ghosts that fly around screaming and liquefying every enemy in the area by flying through them.
Shadow Warrior's nuke is great, powerful enough that you usually have to break line of sight in order to not be killed by it too.
There's a nuke in Bioware's old mech game Shattered Steel which since the game has ground deformation makes a huge crater and is also strong enough that you have to shoot it past the draw distance to not get killed.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
It's not a "super weapon" but the Concussion Rifle in Dark Forces has always felt like a solid delete button.

BFG is the obvious, and true, answer.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
does the gauss rifle from S.T.A.L.K.E.R count

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

WMD from Postal 2. :haw:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Wraithverge from Hexen. Nothing like unleashing a swarm of angry ghosts that gib enemies on contact and linger around for several seconds, noclipping through doors to go hunt down monsters that aren't even part of the fight. Bloodscourge is okay but not great, Quietus just sucks.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pagb666 has started his Amid Evil playthrough. He does quality youtube playthroughs of retro shooters and mods, always getting all secrets and at 4k/60fps. He is a good resource to check if you get stuck or want to get a secret and you don't know how.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 16, 2019

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lemon-Lime posted:

You're going to get Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys comebacks and you're going to like it.
Backstreet's already back, alright?

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Mordja posted:

What are some games with good superweapons? Doom's BFG is probably the best, given its power, utility, and the fact that you typically get enough ammo to keep it in your regular weapon rotation. I found Blood's to be pretty underwhelming, especially compared to the Napalm's secondary fire.

The Russian Overkill Doom WAD has all the superweapons you would ever need:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI-pfa_JiAw

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alright, came back from watching a long play of MDK2. Ive revised my opinion now with my memories of the game: MDK2 is the worst functional game Ive ever played.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

chestnut santabag posted:

The Russian Overkill Doom WAD has all the superweapons you would ever need:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI-pfa_JiAw

Yeah I've hosed with it, pretty sure just about every gun could be considered a superweapon any other game

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 16, 2019

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Holy poo poo Death Wish for Blood is loving incredible. I thought Bloody Pulp Fiction had some neat level design (Visually at least - item placement is a mess) but if you had told me that Death Wish was a brand new expansion I'd completely believe you. The art design and tricks they pull with the engine are just flabbergasting. FLABBERGASTING

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

what I'm getting from this is that first person impse is a go

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mordja posted:

Op4's Displacer comes immediately to mind.

HL2, although I have often complained about its weapon selection, has the Super Gravity Gun; it overstays its welcome pretty quickly (because you are forced to use it exclusively for the entire final level), but I think it deserves a place in this roster, and would probably be better thought of if it co-existed with the other weapons and had some limitation on how often you could use it.

Descent, of course, has the Mega Missile, and D2 ups the ante with the Earthshaker.

Naming mods is probably cheating, but War of Attrition has the ability to stockpile those little atomic health pickups and combine them into straight-up nuclear loving bombs; runners-up are probably every other weapon in the game once sufficiently leveled up, but especially the pipebomb.

And of course Q2 and Q4 had their own BFGs, both of which, honestly, I greatly prefer to Doom's version.

All that said, my favourite is probably SS1's LG-XX Plasma Rifle. It lacks the flash of some of the other options, but merely getting it in the first place is a satisfying struggle; power for it is plentiful enough that you never feel like you have to hoard it, but not so plentiful that you can use it to the exclusion of all other weapons; and one shot is capable of reducing an entire room full of enemies to ash before ricocheting back out into the hallway to nail you in the back of the head.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the dubstep gun

do automatic shotguns with flack ammo count as superweapons

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Redeemer-X I played in an Unreal Tournament mod on the Roseanne’s Bum server was pretty dumb fun. It was a redeemer you’d shoot and then climb onto and drive and shoot rockets with then kamikaze directly into an enemy spawn with. Made any sort of normal multi completely impossible.

You could climb onto a friendly rocket and he’d drive it into enemy spawn and you’d be untouched and you’d just grab more rockets and spawnkill as much as you could. Meanwhile the other team was doing the same. Games took forever. It was amazing.

Normal sniper rifles were a counter because you could just headshot the rocket rider if you were good enough.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 16, 2019

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The Farsight XR-20 from Perfect Dark. It doesn't wreck house like other super weapons (that honor goes to the N-bomb. The neutron grenade, not the racial slur) but as a combined wallhack and aimbot with infinite range that shoots through walls, it's the most comically overpowered weapon in just about any game I can think of.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Im glad there seem to be serious talks about reviving prboom+ development over on the doomworld forums

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Shadow Warrior's missile launcher could fire nukes.

On the subject of MDK2, the levels where you played as the janitor in the gimp suit or the four armed robot dog were fun, but gently caress those scientist levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

wafflemoose posted:

gently caress those scientist levels.

And the bit with the fish. And the jetpack puzzles (especially that big tower, where there's a hidden elevator to bypass the whole thing so thanks guys). And the tiresome final boss.

MDK2 is terrible.