Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

It's utterly loving fantastic, it lives up to the hype, it is lively as all hell and I want one really, really bad but it's too conspicuous for my area, I'd get speeding tickets for two over and they'd stick.

Where do you live that it's too conspicuous? It's downright reserved. I'll come pick you up in my bright blue RS and we'll put on drift mode to annoy all the olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ehud posted:

I know this is kind of a broad question, but GTI owners - what has your experience been in terms of reliability and repairs?

My next car needs to be 4 door and the hot hatch options are pretty limited :smith:

17 GTI just under the 36k mark. I had the latch for my fuel door replaced (wouldn't open) and the metal trim around the shifter replaced (requires the entire assembly to be removed and replaced). I've also had a couple of instances of the door seal and the boot leaking, but I believe the former was due to some debris and the latter due to some kid at the body shop loving up during repairs. Minor note: Body work isn't great. I had the rear bumper panel replaced with OEM and painted up and it ran north of 3K. This was with a specific shop though and it looks like they did a few "extra" things since insurance was footing the bill.

Love the car to death though.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

KillHour posted:

Where do you live that it's too conspicuous? It's downright reserved. I'll come pick you up in my bright blue RS and we'll put on drift mode to annoy all the olds.

Portsmouth VA. Like two weeks ago I was pulled over because someone in a loud beater blew a red light next to me, and they thought I might possibly have been racing them. I was not. I'd have won if I was.

The dealers near me are only stocking the baby blue and red accent varieties, looks like it fell out of need for speed in comparison to most of the cars around here.

crankycookie
Oct 16, 2013

Warbird posted:

17 GTI just under the 36k mark. I had the latch for my fuel door replaced (wouldn't open) and the metal trim around the shifter replaced (requires the entire assembly to be removed and replaced). I've also had a couple of instances of the door seal and the boot leaking, but I believe the former was due to some debris and the latter due to some kid at the body shop loving up during repairs. Minor note: Body work isn't great. I had the rear bumper panel replaced with OEM and painted up and it ran north of 3K. This was with a specific shop though and it looks like they did a few "extra" things since insurance was footing the bill.

Love the car to death though.

Is that fuel door latch a common problem?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Of them, I'd wager an unmodified Fiesta st is the most reliable (outside of the blend door), as well.

Even a modified one, they're basically unbreakable as long as you keep the stock turbo. Big turbo cars start to develop a taste for transmissions at some point in the 300s if you're rough with 'em but the fastest ones are still running stock.

Mine has so far been mechanically and electronically perfect over 4 years and 75,000 miles other than a wheel bearing failure that was likely related to a severe pothole impact (also dented a 15" steel wheel and caused my radar detector to leap for my face). Stock drivetrain so far, but a "Stage 1" package is next on the list for sure.

The blend door actuator though.... clickclickclickclickclickclickclick. I'll replace it when it stops working, the clicking noise when I start the car in the summer is easy enough to ignore.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 18, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

crankycookie posted:

Possibly. I did see some mention of it, but I think my specific instance was a bit different than what most people run into. Best I can recall you can fix it pretty easily via shaving down the plastic of the latch. Had it fixed under warranty so I don't know the details too well.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

MourningGlory posted:

I’ve got a bug up my rear end to trade my ND Miata in on a Veloster N. I’ve yet to find a bad review online but unfortunately the nearest dealer that has one is 120 miles away so I haven’t actually even seen one in real life yet. Anyone here in the thread driven one? If so, what did you think?

I've got about 600mi on my Veloster N and still can't get over the great noises it makes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

crankycookie posted:

Yep. I had it and fixed it in 30 seconds myself. It would open, I just needed a credit card to pry it out when cold. A little clearancing of some plastic and it was good.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Suburban Dad posted:

Yep. I had it and fixed it in 30 seconds myself. It would open, I just needed a credit card to pry it out when cold. A little clearancing of some plastic and it was good.

This is basically GTI ownership in a nutshell

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

The dealers near me are only stocking the baby blue and red accent varieties, looks like it fell out of need for speed in comparison to most of the cars around here.

Because it's the best color. If you're gonna get pulled over anyways, may as well be for a real reason. :getin:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Seriously, I drive this thing and it might as well be invisible to cops. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

thetechnoloser posted:

I've got about 600mi on my Veloster N and still can't get over the great noises it makes.

How is it in terms of daily comfort and civility?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hatches are for the weak.

I'm gonna miss having one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

Hatches are for the weak.

I'm gonna miss having one.

What did you end up getting?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What did you end up getting?

A 2015 M3.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Amazing color combo, congrats!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Nice.

I'm getting into another BMW after I ditch the GTI I've already decided.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

Amazing color combo, congrats!

Thanks! It's so loving fast and makes ridiculous noises and I love it.

Looking at used GTI sport prices, they seem to be listed for $20-22k. I'm starting to wonder if it's worth my time to buy out the lease and just try to get rid of it now for like $18k so I'm not paying on it until November. I was gonna throw the winter set on craigslist but I might hold onto it to throw in with the car in case I decide to go that route.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

Thanks! It's so loving fast and makes ridiculous noises and I love it.

Looking at used GTI sport prices, they seem to be listed for $20-22k. I'm starting to wonder if it's worth my time to buy out the lease and just try to get rid of it now for like $18k so I'm not paying on it until November. I was gonna throw the winter set on craigslist but I might hold onto it to throw in with the car in case I decide to go that route.

Don’t buy that thing, it’s going to be a nightmare to unload with all that damage history

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
While I agree with ^, you could take it to CarMax and see if they'd give you more than buy out or whatever

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Don’t buy that thing, it’s going to be a nightmare to unload with all that damage history

Yeah, you're probably right. Just an idea floating through my head. I just need to drive the poo poo out of it until I give it back. Gonna be hard to do with an M3 sitting there looking all pretty.

BlackMK4 posted:

While I agree with ^, you could take it to CarMax and see if they'd give you more than buy out or whatever

Do they buy cars with an accident history? I didn't think they did.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I dunno, I've never tried. I know Carvana won't, and they are a pain in the rear end to deal with in comparison anyway*. I sold my FiST to Carmax, I was in and out in like 45 minutes and got exactly what I had planned to get for the car.

* they require an official payoff letter from the financial institution that the car is financed through, whereas Carmax will just call the bank to get the payoff amount and cut you a check for the difference on the spot

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I dunno, I've never tried. I know Carvana won't, and they are a pain in the rear end to deal with in comparison anyway*. I sold my FiST to Carmax, I was in and out in like 45 minutes and got exactly what I had planned to get for the car.

* they require an official payoff letter from the financial institution that the car is financed through, whereas Carmax will just call the bank to get the payoff amount and cut you a check for the difference on the spot

I'll have to look into it. I'd even take a slight loss on the buyout since it would be dropping the car payment and the extra car off my insurance.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah I’d try carmax. In Austin there was a dealer who would do $500 more than any carmax deal, you should see if anyone in the area offers a similar deal. Like you said, a small loss would be offset by the car/insurance payments.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
carmax will buy anything they just take the heaps to the auto auction. They also pay you accordingly.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

carmax will buy anything they just take the heaps to the auto auction. They also pay you accordingly.

The car isn't a heap by any stretch of the imagination, it's just had $22k in body work done :v:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
counted as a negative in dealer level purchasing though they will look at a full chassis reinforcement done pro and be like "modded" and offer you 2k less for liability

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fknlo posted:

Do they buy cars with an accident history? I didn't think they did.

They took the idiot hellcar Subaru, no problemo.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I'm nine days shy of having my 2017 GTI SE for two years.

So far it's been a pretty painless experience. Only two minor issues thus far - mine has the light package and the driver's door LEDs stopped working so they replaced the door panel under warranty last December.

We had a really long/bad winter and I had a couple instances where the fuel door iced shut. Just had to run home and use a hair dryer on it.

Otherwise it's been a blast to drive and goes through snow much better than either of my Civics Si did.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

MourningGlory posted:

How is it in terms of daily comfort and civility?

Fortunately, it has multi-mode suspension. For my commute, I usually roll with everything in max settings from "N mode" but my "N custom" has the suspension set two notches down from max stiffness and the steering dialed down one notch for highway driving. The only thing I can see being annoying is a little bit of drone on the highway, but if you switch to Eco when on a long highway commute, the exhaust goes to a much quieter mode.

I have a short (10mi) commute and love all the bangs and pops so I usually leave the exhaust in super fun mode.

Daily comfort I would rate it a bit better than my wife's Fiesta ST (it's more pliant over uneven pavement) and slightly worse than my prior, a 2012 Mustang with 3.73 gears and a borla exhaust.

The sounds, though. It sounds loving amazing. The programming they have for overruns and shifting makes it sound like a loving racecar from hell. It's ridiculous.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hi all -- I'm in the market for a new car and wanted a m/t hatchback or wagon that gets 30+ MPG and has good cargo capacity. I recently learned that 2015 and newer GTIs have the same cargo capacity as the Honda Fit, which means they meet my requirements. Cool!

It looks like the only other hot hatch that would is the Focus ST (Fiesta ST is too small), but I hear they are really unreliable (even more than VWs) and IMO the GTI is an infinitely more tasteful vehicle inside and out.

What should I be looking for when scoping out GTIs? My price range is up to $19k, and there are a few GTIs near me going for around that which I hope to take a look at when I get home from traveling.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

WescottF1 posted:

We had a really long/bad winter and I had a couple instances where the fuel door iced shut. Just had to run home and use a hair dryer on it.

Ok please give me a break. You can just smash ice off any fuel cap with any ice scraper, you do not need to run home and apply electricity or invent a device. Even if freezing rain coats everything it's not that big of a problem to refuel.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Apollodorus posted:

Hi all -- I'm in the market for a new car and wanted a m/t hatchback or wagon that gets 30+ MPG and has good cargo capacity. I recently learned that 2015 and newer GTIs have the same cargo capacity as the Honda Fit, which means they meet my requirements. Cool!

It looks like the only other hot hatch that would is the Focus ST (Fiesta ST is too small), but I hear they are really unreliable (even more than VWs) and IMO the GTI is an infinitely more tasteful vehicle inside and out.

What should I be looking for when scoping out GTIs? My price range is up to $19k, and there are a few GTIs near me going for around that which I hope to take a look at when I get home from traveling.

unless you get a certified used (which is prob over 20k range) you might want to consider a PPI and maybe avoid any car with significant mods or the "returned to stock for sale" look which sometimes could have been done to cover up something

imo the base model really lacks a lot of features. 2017 sport models are probably low 20s now and they have the performance package, cloth seats, lighting package, no sunroof. when new they were cheaper than the SE/autobahn trims

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 22, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
do focuses (sp) have a bad reliability rating other than the head gasket in the rs?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I’ve had a FOST for 6/50k and it has had the following:
1) wiring harness replaced under warranty
2) mystery electrical problem, but this was traced to a faulty collision repair and a bad ground, so not really a reliability issue
3) door latches replaced under warranty
4) routine oil, filters, etc
5) one set of pads and rotors all around (probably due to my habit of leaving the car parked outside with the brake set in bad weather for weeks/months)

I don’t think there are really major reliability problems. MFT is garbage. The RS bad head gasket problems and the regular focus had transmission problems, but nothing really on the ST.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thats what i thought

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I've had my FoST for just over 3 years, 31k miles. Only issue I've had is the timing cover gasket replaced under warranty. Still on stock brakes but I dont abuse them. Full bolt ons, 30mpg hwy 25mpg in city with tune. Tons of cargo space. I love it, definitely wouldn't trade it for anything.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Be warned, the Recaros are quite bulky compared to the base seats. I love them, but they take up a fair bit of room comparing legroom in my friend's base Focus hatch to my ST3. Also, if you have the SONY AUDIO MFT poo poo there's a fairly big speaker in the rear hatch area.

Things I like compared to the GTI:
1) I find it to be a more interesting drive, the GTI is very competent but a bit dull. The ST is a little more raw.
2) It's cheap

Things I don't like compared to the GTI:
1) No available LSD
2) The interior packaging is less clever and more space is taken up by seats, center console, etc

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
didnt you get rid of your focus?

i mean there are lsd available aftermarket

https://www.mountunestore.com/products/focus-c346st-quaife-atb-differential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

no i kept it because i don't wanna drive the M5 in michigan winters

i also don't feel the need to put fifteen hundred dollars of LSD+labor in to what is essentially a winter beater now