Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

For real, I had a robot race with the +pop build cost trait and it didn't even loving matter because I ended up building pops so dang fast thanks to the +pop build rate trait and civic that I may have ended up with net cheaper pops anyway and snowballed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

QuarkJets posted:

Instead of throwing away the entire tech system, which I think is pretty good, I think it would be better to just apply a balancing pass

And robot factories are such a huge boon that they should also be subject to a balancing pass. Robot pops should probably be more expensive, in terms of resources or time or both. Give everyone the tech except for spiritual organic empires, reduce the rate at which robot pops grow in organic empires, etc

Seems like a big nerf to spiritualists. Just give the tech to all regular empires and make no other changes. Regular empires are already significantly weaker than gestalts, they don't need more nerfs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Staltran posted:

Seems like a big nerf to spiritualists. Just give the tech to all regular empires and make no other changes. Regular empires are already significantly weaker than gestalts, they don't need more nerfs.

It's a buff to all non-spiritualist, non-gestalt organic empires to give them robots from day 1.

It's not a nerf to spiritualists, they wouldn't be changed at all

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Did Mechanist go away as a civic or are you just against it somehow

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Incy posted:

I see that you have never played sword of the stars. But techs come and go in stellaris, you get them quickly.
Sword of the Stars still allowed you to choose what tech to research, just some of them were not available to choose. If you got locked out of something it was your choice how to adjust your tech focus to compensate. And your core techs are guaranteed.

Stellaris is the opposite: everything is available, and everyone ends up with everything, but nobody gets to choose what they're good at right now. If you don't get robots you can't adapt by focussing on genetics and terraforming, you just don't get robots. There's a world of difference, and the Stellaris system does not compare favourably.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Splicer posted:

Stellaris is the opposite: everything is available, and everyone ends up with everything, but nobody gets to choose what they're good at right now. If you don't get robots you can't adapt by focussing on genetics and terraforming, you just don't get robots.

This is a pretty concise way of summing up my problem with the tech system. The fact that tech progression is both mostly random and mostly blind makes it a pain in the rear end to do anything specific or purposeful with tech, and that’s lame. You get what you get, if you don’t like it tough poo poo wait. It’s not satisfying gameplay wise.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Shugojin posted:

Did Mechanist go away as a civic or are you just against it somehow

I debated whether or not it was worth taking in the long run and I think maybe I should have grabbed it for my weak engineering lovers but we'll see it's still second decade for them.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I got the achievement for having 10 species coexisting on one planet, as a Determined Exterminator.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Krazyface posted:

I got the achievement for having 10 species coexisting on one planet, as a Determined Exterminator.

Look they didn’t say for how long

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Are there any more or future plans to add more ship models to the game? I've always felt a like it would be a nice flavor addition.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Splicer posted:

Sword of the Stars still allowed you to choose what tech to research, just some of them were not available to choose. If you got locked out of something it was your choice how to adjust your tech focus to compensate. And your core techs are guaranteed.

Stellaris is the opposite: everything is available, and everyone ends up with everything, but nobody gets to choose what they're good at right now. If you don't get robots you can't adapt by focussing on genetics and terraforming, you just don't get robots. There's a world of difference, and the Stellaris system does not compare favourably.

skasion posted:

This is a pretty concise way of summing up my problem with the tech system. The fact that tech progression is both mostly random and mostly blind makes it a pain in the rear end to do anything specific or purposeful with tech, and that’s lame. You get what you get, if you don’t like it tough poo poo wait. It’s not satisfying gameplay wise.

Yeah this is exactly the problem I have with it. It's not just a random system, a lot of it is obfuscated for no reason. Literally the only way to influence what tech options you get is completely hidden from the player, unless they use mods or dig through the game files. I dare anyone to call this a good system.

e: like, imagine that your empire is getting curbstomped by another empire because they have better guns than you. Can you tell your engineers to research better armor to compensate? Nope, they want to study building contruction methods right now. Can you tell your physicists to research better guns to match your enemy? Hell no, they want to research wormhole travel. Can you tell your biologists to research population growth, so that when you lose a dozen systems you can spring back a little faster? gently caress no, they want to research -20% to leader costs. Why? gently caress you, that's why.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 24, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Sword of the Stars's tech system is great and I really wish Stellaris had stolen that instead of ... whatever it is we have. SotS is the right way to do a randomized tech tree.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I would pay lots of bux for a Babylon 5 ship pack. Do you hear me Paradox?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Doctor Zero posted:

I would pay lots of bux for a Babylon 5 ship pack. Do you hear me Paradox?

I'm sure Paradox would be fine with it, but getting Warner Bros. on board for anything Babylon 5 is the challenge.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The current research system is more or less how it's been since launch, yeah? Most systems in the game have seen a major rework since then, with the exception of diplomatic relations/leaders and research. It makes sense to save the research overhaul until they are done reworking everything else since it hooks into every other system in the game.

I don't know if there's any Word of Dev floating around out there about if they ever plan to overhaul research at all but I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about it after the mythical diplomacy update comes to pass.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I hate the research system and just wish there was a straight up tech tree I could pick and choose from. There's a mod called "Back to the Drawing Board" that will let you reroll your tech options if you don't like what's available and it has taken some of the stress away.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The ability to pay to reroll leaders and techs would be really nice, yeah.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Like, random research can be interesting sometimes, but you need some way to be able to influence it in the direction you want. And right now the only meaningful way to influence it in Stellaris is through recruiting leaders, which is another layer of randomness. Want a specific, crucial technology? You have to spend energy to recruit a random scientist like it's a loving gachapon, and then keep researching other techs that might be completely useless to you until it finally appears.

Also you can't trade techs with other empires because ???

This seriously might be one of the worst research systems in a strategy game.

Recruiting leaders effects tech? Please explain as I also find random tech bewildering. Specially when i got key districts blocked by a low level obstacle i cant remove.

Hate it when tech like that shows up to early to reearch and then takes decades to show up again.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

RNG just doesn't belong in a competitive environment like Stellaris, they should replace it with a skill based mechanic where you need to get sick headshots on the techs you want & get a bonus for doing it more quickly.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

walruscat posted:

Recruiting leaders effects tech? Please explain as I also find random tech bewildering. Specially when i got key districts blocked by a low level obstacle i cant remove.

Hate it when tech like that shows up to early to reearch and then takes decades to show up again.

If your leader has an expertise, they're 25% more likely to roll technologies that fall under their specialty. Laser Tech researchers will get more lasers, munitions engineers will get more explosives, etc. Also if your scientist doesn't have maniacal / spark / curator some techs have a dramatically smaller chance of being researched. Psionics is a good example; if your guy doesn't have psionics specialty or is a curator, you will not get this tech. synths are 1/6 as likely to show up unless you've got a curator or an industry focused engineer. etc.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

walruscat posted:

Having a scientist with a specialty (computing, genetics, propulsion, etc) gives techs in that category 25% increased weight for being selected. That sounds like a lot, but when you have at least a dozen available techs with roughly equal weighting, and only 3 or 4 possible choices, the difference is barely noticeable.

e: also it's really dumb because the specialties give a bonus to research speed for that category, so if you want a tech of a specific category but you're currently researching one from a different category, you have to swap out the the scientist a month before it finishes.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 24, 2019

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If I had to fix it I'd do something like, technologies are all pooled and you can pick one from the pool for each scientist, and conversely scientists aren't specialized but their focuses affect everyone you have in that department. Like, you don't have one engineer, one tech, and one social; you have three scientists and they get each other's bonuses so you can assign whatever to whoever. If you've got two or three scientists with a social focus you're going to get more of those, etc. Or edicts that let you focus your techs towards a thing? I don't know.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I feel like it's pretty ok. You have a bit of a speed boost when researching those techs, so over the life of a scientist you can make pretty good advancements in that field.

Usually i'll let the starting guys control my first era of research just to belt thru the cheapest techs for the field I started with. Gives each run a bit of a different flavor. By the time those guys start dying I should have enough rooks to slot in and live their lives either focusing on our strengths, or shoring up our weaknesses.

I usually try to pick the tech I want that's in the scientist's field, or if I don't care whatever one is cheapest, unless something super specific that I really gotta have pops up.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

My strategy is to try to make sure that the scientists with blue icons are doing the blue research, green icons in the green one, and orange in orange. So far it's worked pretty well.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

skasion posted:

Yeh I hate that too. I mean sure having a tech tree would just mean it becomes optimised and you follow the same paths over and over depending on build but the randomness is annoying. I mean for gently caress sake it can't be completely random if it's taking one of the research suggestion slots to suggest a particular tech for the fifth time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Even in games with a standard tech tree like Civ, you don't always follow the same progression. Usually you have to make strategic decisions to adapt to your situation. In Stellaris you can't do that because the RNG makes the decisions for you.

Unfortunately if they got rid of the RNG aspect, they'd have to completely redo the tech tree because it's actually pretty shallow, and it would be trivially easy to beeline the best stuff.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

RNG just doesn't belong in a competitive environment like Stellaris, they should replace it with a skill based mechanic where you need to get sick headshots on the techs you want & get a bonus for doing it more quickly.

360 noscope techshots all day to get that mega engineering

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I legitimately have never felt like the tech tree was a serious issue that really negatively impacted the game outside of mega engineering, is this something that changes on grand admiral?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

My strategy is to try to make sure that the scientists with blue icons are doing the blue research, green icons in the green one, and orange in orange. So far it's worked pretty well.

turn off the TV posted:

I legitimately have never felt like the tech tree was a serious issue that really negatively impacted the game outside of mega engineering, is this something that changes on grand admiral?

Same same. I guess there's an issue if you want to perfectly optimize your tech order but I don't see a reason to cater to that kind of playstyle

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's not about perfect optimization, it's about situations where you need a specific tech but you can't get it for decades because what's basically a slot machine isn't giving it to you.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Is anyone else getting the bug with the caravaneers where they'll just pick a capital system and stay there forever, refusing to offer anymore trades but will happily keep spamming the events for the derelict ship/planetwide party/potential settlers/etc? I want my drat trades so I can get the garbage disposal building

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Korgan posted:

Is anyone else getting the bug with the caravaneers where they'll just pick a capital system and stay there forever, refusing to offer anymore trades but will happily keep spamming the events for the derelict ship/planetwide party/potential settlers/etc? I want my drat trades so I can get the garbage disposal building

Yup, happened in my last game. I run no mods.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

It's not about perfect optimization, it's about situations where you need a specific tech but you can't get it for decades because what's basically a slot machine isn't giving it to you.

Can you be more specific? Usually when I see people complaining about the tech tree they're just upset that they're not able to get Gateway tech as early as possible and things like that, which is just metagaming and doesn't really matter

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Can you be more specific? Usually when I see people complaining about the tech tree they're just upset that they're not able to get Gateway tech as early as possible and things like that, which is just metagaming and doesn't really matter

Read my posts? I've already mentioned several situations.

Also what's wrong with metagaming? You seem to have an issue with people playing a game as a game.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Sometimes, if I don't like any of the research options I'll just pick the cheapest one, which is basically a jerry-rigged way of resetting. That's kinda lame, now that I think about it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Meta gaming is disrespectful to the AI, which I would argue is not even entirely gaming to begin with.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

QuarkJets posted:

My last game I saw repeatables before the first farming tech. Sometimes you just get bad luck and while it's never gamebreaking it's definitely annoying when it happens.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Read my posts? I've already mentioned several situations.

Also what's wrong with metagaming? You seem to have an issue with people playing a game as a game.

If your position is not worth your time to succinctly summarize then it's also not worth my time to dig out of your post history :shrug:

Playing the game as a game is not the same as metagaming. I think that a tech system that the player could easily optimize against (e.g. as one can do in Civilization) are less fun than the Stellaris tech system, which injects variance in a way that makes for more interesting experiences without really making the game more difficult.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is it possible to excavate an archaeology site that you don’t directly control? Say, one in a Federation mates space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I feel like research needs a rework, but it's much less of a priority than diplomacy. It's entirely adequate right now, because the answer to this:

turn off the TV posted:

Is no. There are no techs so critical that failing to roll them gimps you, even on the highest difficulty. Robots are great, sure, but you don't need them to win. Same with gates.