Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm of the opinion that magic is no more ridiculous a belief than any other belief system but I also smoke a lot of weed and sometimes it makes me think I'm communicating with my boyfriend with my thoughts soooo there's that

I see no problem here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm of the opinion that magic is no more ridiculous a belief than any other belief system but I also smoke a lot of weed and sometimes it makes me think I'm communicating with my boyfriend with my thoughts soooo there's that

Magic is just as real as any other faith, they all exist to the extent that people believe they exist. Keeping up with comic book wizard chat, I'm pretty fond of Alan Moores take on the subject, which I can't find the exact text of right now, but the gist of it is that he wrote a line in From Hell, "The only place that the gods inarguably exist is inside the human mind" and as he wrote it he realized that it was actually true. I agree mostly, these things have power because people believe they do, and they give them power with their own thoughts and beliefs. Like the Devil isn't real but people to this day go through huge amounts of effort behaving like there's actually a red evil dude in the center of the earth. Humans create their gods and devils and breathe life into them until they might as well be real because they are affecting everyone's lives. All magic is, is recognizing that and finding ways to use it to your advantage.

I believe in people, and the power of the human mind, and hope that someday we can collectively realize our power and truly change our world for the better

E: I also smoke a lot of weed

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

So if I get enough dudes who believe in jerk-off crystals together...

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

...Marianne Williamson will become president.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

So if I get enough dudes who believe in jerk-off crystals together...

I got some magic sand that is enchanted with the power of a thousand labes scissoring passionately upon it. hmu if you get enough charged j o crystals so we can cast some powerful mlm/wlw magics some time. Maybe we can raise Atlantis, or visit Obama on the moon.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I see no problem here

:laffo:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what the gently caress happened to this thread it was irritating southern phrases and then snapped almost instantly to being full of weird fuckin weed jerkoff sorcerors

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

magic isn't real

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what the gently caress happened to this thread it was irritating southern phrases and then snapped almost instantly to being full of weird fuckin weed jerkoff sorcerors

would you say it changed like magic

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

cock hero flux posted:

magic isn't real

https://mobile.twitter.com/officialjaden/status/329768040235413504?lang=en

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I'm a crack smoking warlock, tyvm

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Kazak posted:

My knife-carry phase was around the age of 12, I had a decent little old folding knife that I never used for anything at all except to get in big trouuuuble when it fell out of my pocket during Christmas at grandmas. My uncle Ryan picked it up and said "Rambo here brought the gift of steel!"

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Now I'm picturing John Rambo running around hacking off limbs with a Victorinox Classic, that would fuckin' own.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jaden Smith is mentally ill but never got treatment because his parents are scientologists and it's really just depressing

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

He's a delight in The Getdown though.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:haibrow: :hfive:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I also smoke a lot of weed so that may affect my judgement

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Big Mad Drongo posted:

methomancer

oxycodaturge

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Friend posted:

My mom just told my wife the other day that you should look for watermelons with a yellow spot because that means the ripened in the field more. I don't care for watermelon so this information is of no use to me but maybe it can be a benefit to you and your life (if it's even true; my mom believes a lot of poo poo)

This isn't true, your mom just saw a jpeg on Facebook and uncritically parroted it without questioning it or researching it further. Your mom is basically operating on the same level of cognition as an anti-vaxxers, I'm sorry.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The difference is that magic makes direct and testable claims so it's actually way more ridiculous because it's very easy to see that the NEET selling love potions on Etsy to catladies for $50 a pop is full of poo poo.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

cock hero flux posted:

magic isn't real

Well, someone doesn't have a friend wearing big red shoes.

P.s. Jaden Smith is a treasure.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I know this is a bit crass but I'm gonna do it anyway:

Skeleton King posted:

you cant metaphysically manipulate the physical universe

but, you can manipulate and bend people to your will

this is magic

demonic possession is addiction

doverhog posted:

How do you know that? How do you measure if a spell affected the universe? Your memory, all historical records, are contained within "universe". When I go diving tongue first into an rear end in a top hat I am casting a spell, and you cannot tell me it didn't work. You got no proof.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

methomancer

oxycodaturge

Weedzard

MDMAlchemist

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I got tired of caring about what people believe if it doesn't cause any harm, I'm sure doing edibles everyday has changed my attitude a lot.

"Who give poo poo, I'm floating lmao"

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sleeveless posted:

This isn't true, your mom just saw a jpeg on Facebook and uncritically parroted it without questioning it or researching it further. Your mom is basically operating on the same level of cognition as an anti-vaxxers, I'm sorry.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&channel=cus&q=watermelon+field+spot

there's like

a new york times article about it and everything

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

are you thinking of the myth about the webbing?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Solar Tornado posted:

Weedzard

MDMAlchemist

Yall are just naming the next electric wizard album now

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the thing that's always made me kind of go :stare: about chaos magic is

in The Invisibles, Grant Morrison made a character named King Mob who (if I'm understanding this correctly) was basically created as a sigil, for shits and giggles more than anything since he wasn't taking the idea incredibly seriously

his life then proceeded to reflect King Mob's in bizarre ways. GMo writes King Mob as having everything come up his way? everything comes up GMo for a while. GMo writes King Mob as getting hosed over? GMo gets hosed over. King Mob gets gravely wounded in the story and nearly dies? GMo gets hospitalized with loving sepsis out of nowhere.

it might just be one big coincidence, or it might work the other way (though by Morrison's account, his life would change to reflect what he wrote and not vice-versa), or some random bald guy who writes comics basically achieved loving CHIM. i know which one of those that basically looks like to me.

I think this the plot of the book Archer's Goon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the thing that's always made me kind of go :stare: about chaos magic is

in The Invisibles, Grant Morrison made a character named King Mob who (if I'm understanding this correctly) was basically created as a sigil, for shits and giggles more than anything since he wasn't taking the idea incredibly seriously

his life then proceeded to reflect King Mob's in bizarre ways. GMo writes King Mob as having everything come up his way? everything comes up GMo for a while. GMo writes King Mob as getting hosed over? GMo gets hosed over. King Mob gets gravely wounded in the story and nearly dies? GMo gets hospitalized with loving sepsis out of nowhere.

it might just be one big coincidence, or it might work the other way (though by Morrison's account, his life would change to reflect what he wrote and not vice-versa), or some random bald guy who writes comics basically achieved loving CHIM. i know which one of those that basically looks like to me.

King Mob AKA Gideon Stargrave (there are two King Mobs) is a Morrison self-insert, and everything Morrison says about his own contribution to comics should be taken with enough grains of salt to make Lot a bigamist.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i don't think lot is married to all large masses of salt. i'm not sure that's how it's supposed to work

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

i don't think lot is married to all large masses of salt. i'm not sure that's how it's supposed to work

I love my large salty wives

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Somfin posted:

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Somfin posted:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Picnic Princess posted:

Belugas can also flex their melons to focus the sound waves while most cetaceans can't. They're talented!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

weird flex, but okay

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Speaking of Chaos Majjicks, does anyone have a link to that thread were some weirdo was documenting his efforts using magical sigils to get rare items or something like that in a MMO?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i am mid-transformation into a salt lake, ask me anything

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hows it feel for people being buoyant enough to not sink in you?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Hihohe posted:

Hows it feel for people being buoyant enough to not sink in you?
unfortunately i'm a dry salt lake. all i can do is glitter serenely in the desert sun

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

nankeen posted:

unfortunately i'm a dry salt lake. all i can do is glitter serenely in the desert sun

How do you feel about people falling through your crust into the deep mud below?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Outrail posted:

How do you feel about people falling through your crust into the deep mud below?
that's how i make love

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Do you ever plan to get back into the ring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

purple death ray posted:

Yall are just naming the next electric wizard album now

Electric Wizard are old school - ridiculous stoner/doom band names have moved on.

Hell, "Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard" is not even a parody now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1yBQEC0vHA

I actually like this stuff...