Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Cheesus posted:

Awesome analysis!

Also, unlike Europeans, North American Boomers didn't have to grow up with a nearly constant reminder of rebuilding after massive wartime damage. That's huge.

One part triggered something else for me:

On the surface, it seems hard to understand why American (white) Boomers would be so affected by this obvious manipulation. Until you remember their single defining moment: The JFK assassination.

There was enough disbelief and skepticism around the Warren Commission report that it sowed doubt and paved a 10 lane highway toward Boomer love of conspiracy theories. Up until around 10 years ago, the briefest of snippits for commercials about either Kennedy Assassination on the History channel would stop my dad dead in his tracks to look very serious and ask, "There's no way Oswald did it alone; it had to be Castro. Or was it the mob? What do you think?" (of course he never gave a poo poo about MLK; just the Kennedys)

I think that was a trigger for the generation to believe not only in conspiracies in general, but the similar kind of poo poo Fox (Bill O'Reilly) has always peddled under the guise of "The other folks don't tell you the truth, but we do!". Look no further than the cries of "Fake news" by Boomer politicians today.

The same attitude has fed into Boomer's general attraction of gimmickry and scams to "getting ahead shortcuts" like dumping their meager life savings into 80s S&L banks and 2000s CDOs. My mother has to intercept the mail lest he gets it and pesters her to sign up for those loving THIS IS A LEGITIMATE CHECK JUST SIGN IT no this isn't a check scams.

The JFK assassination isn't the big faith in government crisis, but you're right that there was one.
It was Watergate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
lol Sears stopped the Christmas catalog in 1993. Actually, they more or less stopped making the huge seasonal catalogs all together.

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

Grape posted:

The JFK assassination isn't the big faith in government crisis, but you're right that there was one.
It was Watergate.

It was JFK assassination, Pentagon Papers and then Watergate that broke their brains and made them glom on to conspiracy theories.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Chomp8645 posted:

Marksman is the lowest possible rating without failing out entirely lol.

It goes Fail -> Marksman -> Sharpshooter -> Expert

Even the lowest possible requirement to qualify for the Marines still makes you a better shot than most people

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Boomers love to be racists when they travel. They created resorts so they didn't have to interact with locals because they hate and are afraid of them.

If you tell a boomer that you have plans off resort or aren't even staying at one in the first place, they tell you you're going to get robbed, murdered, and/or killed.

I was on a shuttle bus in Mexico, amd the driver was loading our bags onto the overhead racks for us. Unnecessary and very kind. He brushed against this fat old lady and her friends yelled she better check to see he didn't pick her pockets right there in front of him. They thought it was hilarious. I wished they would have croaked from heart attacks right then and there. THAT would have been hilarious.

I also mentioned I'd be travelling between cities in Mexico by bus and my boomer coworker scoffed and told me to enjoy riding with goats and chickens on dirt roads. I was in a cushy air condition coach watching a movie.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
It's behind a paywall now, but the story of how Sears was driven into the ground is amazing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-07-11/at-sears-eddie-lamperts-warring-divisions-model-adds-to-the-troubles

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Grape posted:

It was Watergate.

Also the Vietnam war.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Picnic Princess posted:

Boomers love to be racists when they travel. They created resorts so they didn't have to interact with locals because they hate and are afraid of them.

If you tell a boomer that you have plans off resort or aren't even staying at one in the first place, they tell you you're going to get robbed, murdered, and/or killed.

I was on a shuttle bus in Mexico, amd the driver was loading our bags onto the overhead racks for us. Unnecessary and very kind. He brushed against this fat old lady and her friends yelled she better check to see he didn't pick her pockets right there in front of him. They thought it was hilarious. I wished they would have croaked from heart attacks right then and there. THAT would have been hilarious.

I also mentioned I'd be travelling between cities in Mexico by bus and my boomer coworker scoffed and told me to enjoy riding with goats and chickens on dirt roads. I was in a cushy air condition coach watching a movie.

Boomers like to visit countries but not the people. This even applies to first world countries, they won't be afraid of the French or whatever, but they prefer to be shuttled around in buses in groups with some tour guide doing most of the work.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

My local gym is priced above planet fitness but below nicer health clubs. You can spot boomers there at all hours of the day. Not because they're getting in shape but are instead using it as a social space to talk to other boomers about local politics while standing in front of the most popular equipment.

At a certain point they run out of things to talk to other boomers about and start to try and engage younger people. They quickly become annoyed by the fact that our headphones are in and we're not chomping at the bit to hear whatever quip they have lined up.

They return to the locker room with nary a bead of sweat on their brow.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Turkey Farts posted:

They return to the locker room with nary a bead of sweat on their brow.

then the balls come out and are in public view and touching various surfaces for the next 20-45 minutes.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
HEY ROB THE OL BALL AND CHAIN IS IN ORLANDO THIS WEEK,, LET'S CRUISE IN THE CHEVELLE....... - BILL

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

olylifter posted:

then the balls come out and are in public view and touching various surfaces for the next 20-45 minutes.

Why are millenials so afraid of balls? Are they ashamed of or embarrassed by the human form?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SimonCat posted:

Why are millenials so afraid of balls? Are they ashamed of or embarrassed by the human form?

Two random YMCA locker room memories come to mind.

1) I was in 5th grade when a friend from school and his dad took me to a YMCA for some reason. We were in the locker room and there was this 40-ish guy strutting around bare-rear end naked with a weird knob on his dick. Later in life I would learn that this was a genital wart. Motherfucker was walking around with that thing out there like he was proud of it. "Hey everybody, look at me, I do sex, and I have the genital wart to prove it!"

2) About five years ago, I was doing some volunteer landscaping corporate community service bullshit at a local YMCA. At the end of it, I had to piss, so I go into the Y and ask where the men's room is. I didn't realize I was directed to the locker room. I walk in and there's an older Boomer-age dude walking in my direction, bare-rear end naked, just strutting his stuff. I was not expecting this, and involuntarily did a full-body flinch, like Kramer from Seinfeld. A look of self-consciousness washed over the Boomer's face. I ducked into the toilet area glad that I made him feel shame.

Those were the only two times in my life I've ever been in a YMCA locker room. Never again.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Moridin920 posted:

My dad got really passive aggressive if I slept past about 8/9am because I had 'wasted the day' already.

My boomermom and boomerdad couldn’t stand anyone sleeping in late. You’re wasting The Whole day! One time on a family vacation visiting my grandparents in their Florida beach town when my sister and I were teenagers we got yelled at and shamed for wanting to sleep in. There was nothing for us to do in this retirement town except sit on the beach which we did enjoy doing, just later in the day. But my parents believed the only way to enjoy vacation was if you were up with the sun.

My sister and I had to literally draft a document, like the Declaration of Independence stating that this was a family vacation and we should all have the right to enjoy it on our own terms. So while for you two, the ideal vacation means getting up early and doing a bunch of stuff in the morning hours, for us the ideal vacation is sleeping until we feel like getting up, doing whatever then staying up watching tv or reading. It’s our vacation too and we don’t have to always be doing the same things at the same time.

We both signed it and put it in an envelope and put it on our parent’s nightstand. They were so impressed that we put our demand for vacation autonomy in writing that they henceforth stopped hassling us and loving let us be sleepy teenagers and not feel bad about it for a few days. Maybe boomers just respond better to a signed document than a verbal confrontation?

Meanwhile my grandparents didn’t give a poo poo how late we slept in they were just happy to see us.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

I've been to Mexico a few times, and I've just stopped telling people. They've never been there in their lives, but they tell me that cartels are going to kidnap or murder me or whatever. Like one, no. I'm staying with my friend who is a lawyer in Mexico City, I'm not going to be in the shittiest areas. Two, kidnapping or harming tourists is basically suicide and they have no interest in gaining that kind of attention. Three it's not the warzone that the freedom.killary/forums you hang out on make it out to be. Every time someone says something like that I tell them I have a feeling there's a better chance of some right wing nutjob unloading his AR into a concert that you go to in any given city or town in America.

Go to Mexico. The people loving rule, the food is always good, and the weather is great.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Extra hot milk in their barista coffee.
Hospital cafeteria food.
Putting on an accent to match a minority when they speak in English.
Sending in tips to tabloid magazines that all their friends love and complement them on.
Writing letters to the editor.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Talking louder when speaking to anyone that uses English as a second language.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Grape posted:

Boomers like to visit countries but not the people. This even applies to first world countries, they won't be afraid of the French or whatever, but they prefer to be shuttled around in buses in groups with some tour guide doing most of the work.

Oh poo poo this makes sense. My parents are planning a trip to visit Asia again and asked me advice on travelling around Japan since I was just there. I told them just take the trains, walk around, use Google Maps, and research areas for points of interest based on your priorities (aside from me telling them about certain things like specific shrines). They insisted that they'd rather just take a bus tour so they could "visit more things quickly" but I was just mouth agape and saying why the gently caress would you even do that. It doesn't compute to my millennial brain. They also don't want to listen when I suggest that train station workers actually have pretty decent English.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Talking louder when speaking to anyone that uses a second language.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

They love to give your phone number to other Boomers so that they can call and leave a message on your phone introducing themselves as the mother of a girl you should totally go on a date with so they can both have grandchildren. Thanks mum.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

mojo1701a posted:

Unfortunately, I know way too many people who are younger than boomers that most of this applies to. Still, boomers are really the epicentre of it, and their racism is way more severe than the people my own age that have said awful things about First Nations.

Except for the CBC thing. No one under the age of 40 really gives a poo poo about the CBC.

Reminder that CBC has to remove the comments section from any news story that even mentions First Nations people because racist Boomers cannot help but ALL CAPS screech about them and even then you'll find an article about a 12 year old winning a Science Fair or something and someone will pop in with some unrelated racist poo poo and also that the CBC should be privatized or abolished.

Also connected to the racist stuff, CBC made people start giving their names, so now everyone has celebrity or historical person names lol

Gaunab posted:

I might be a boomer because I leave the tv on since I hate the silence.

I put on the radio like my grandmother or a podcast like the Sears-killing Millenial that I am

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Grape posted:

France is peppered with no go zones though so a tourist who doesn't know their way around will probably get sharia-ed.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Grape posted:

They love those stupid river cruise holidays that go through europe. When I was in Budapest there was a bunch of those cruise boats moored up along the river and there were hordes of sock-and-sandal boomer tourists looking at the old bombed out buildings and saying poo poo like "hey its just like detroit" lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Moon Monster posted:

France is peppered with no go zones though so a tourist who doesn't know their way around will probably get sharia-ed.

I'd love you to name and locate a single one of them.

Doesn't 'no-go zones' actually mean places where you don't want to go as a nonwhite person lest you risk six warning shots in the back from the cops?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't 'no-go zones' actually mean places where you don't want to go as a nonwhite person lest you risk six warning shots in the back from the cops?

Not to boomers. They believe basically everywhere that isnt scumfuck, Ohio is full of roving gangs of people who live to kill and murder white people and police are in a desparate struggle to maintain greenzones in major cities.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Scale indicates number of Americans beheaded per month.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Oh poo poo this makes sense. My parents are planning a trip to visit Asia again and asked me advice on travelling around Japan since I was just there. I told them just take the trains, walk around, use Google Maps, and research areas for points of interest based on your priorities (aside from me telling them about certain things like specific shrines). They insisted that they'd rather just take a bus tour so they could "visit more things quickly" but I was just mouth agape and saying why the gently caress would you even do that. It doesn't compute to my millennial brain. They also don't want to listen when I suggest that train station workers actually have pretty decent English.

Not all tours are equal. Specialized small group tours can be loving amazing because you can find ones that focus on whatever you like (hiking up mountains, archeological poo poo, mountain biking, whatever) and boom you've got like eight buddies all into the same sort of things and one of them knows the best spots in the country to do those things. We took one of those in Ireland recently because I wanted to go do outdoors poo poo in the middle of nowhere there but didn't trust that I'd be able to drive a manual with my left hand, and it owned owned owned.

Boomers invariably chose the giant tour bus operations and those are godawful and just hit up the stupid tourist traps. Or worse yet: cruises. My parents went on a cruise and keep telling Mrs Pony and I that we should totally take one it was so great blah blah blah

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 12, 2019

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

The Moon Monster posted:

Scale indicates number of Americans beheaded per month.

Mmmm hmmmmm

Boomers like believing/refusing to research any obviously fake and easily debunked facts that conveniently support their racist narrative

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dang I thought talking about "no go zones", using "shariah" as a verb, and then claiming thousands of Americans are beheaded in France on a monthly basis would make it clear I was joking/boomer roleplaying, but I guess I have to manually pull off my rubber mask here. It wasn't Old Man Jenkins, it was me, the moon monster.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cessna posted:

Also the Vietnam war.

The vietnam war wasn't really that big a deal to the boomers.

popular myth has created this world where every single boomer was part of the anti war movement, but that was only a small fraction. The media at the time focused on them, but there were just as many pro war movements on college campuses, and they were often very violent. The news stories about "radical leftists" occupying administration buildings got a lot more play than "local college republican group charged the protests and sent several to the hospital."

but it goes back to boomers mythologizing their history. Look at polls about asking them today, and something like 7 million boomers would have been at woodstock. Every one of them was part of the anti war movement. Every one of them SAW soldiers get spit on (no proof of this every existed btw). Every one of them burned their draft card yada yada yada

For the vast majority of white middle class boomers, the war in vietnam was just like what the war in iraq was; something that was over there that didn't impact them directly and every now and then it forced them into a political opinion. It had very little impact on their daily life. Remember the average middle class boomer was so disconnected from the war that when RFK ran for president in 68, he was proposing getting rid of college deferments. The only way he could get those comfortable middle class boomers to care about ending the war in vietnam was force them to put some skin in the game. Prior to that it was just poor black kids getting sent over. The white ones? They were fine unless they volunteered.

People have said watergate and yeah that kinda fascinated the nation. If I had to throw one in there it'd be the gas crisis/inflation.

For those that don't know, Nixon basically nuked the world economy in 73 because of....reasons. Wages started to stagnate for the first time ever, and then inflation started to tick up. Now inflation is great when you have debt (would you rather owe 10k in 1973 or 2019) but the boomers had no debt. They had savings, or wages. So for the first time in their entire lives they were faced with the prospect of something happening that would effect them.

And then nixon went ahead and declared a national crisis from the oil embargo. There was still like 3 months of oil en route, but nixon loved conflict, and saw division as somethign he could take advantage of. And that caused a gasoline crisis all on its own. Dumb silents and boomers would idle for hours in gas lines, which wasted more gas, and were topping off and spilling gas, which wasted more gas, and then the gas shortage ACTUALLY hit, and for the first time their happy go lucky american way of life was faced with the hard realities of you need something from another nation.

My mother still talks about this like it was the worst thing that every happened. "You don't understand Fiz, I HAD TO WAIT IN LINE!"

so yeah, inflation which became stagflation which mildly inconvenienced them to the point they endorsed economic policies started with volker during the carter administration that were then carried out to fruition by reagan that focused on controlling inflation at the expense of literally everything and anyone....except boomers. Boomers because the lending class, and so of course they want inflation as manageable as possible. Then they naturally became the investing class, and tax and economic policy of this country adjusted accordingly.

And now their on fixed incomes "THAT WE ALL EARNED by being the most prosperous generation in human history" by paying into social security, and w can't do ANYTHING that might impact that. Just wait and see, that's how republicans will eventually defeat medicare for all. They'll convince boomers it will hurt them.

So yeah, don't sleep on stagflation in the 70s. If you look at american economic and fiscal policy since then, it's very much a "do anything to keep the white boomers happy and gently caress everything else" approach.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 12, 2019

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

The Moon Monster posted:

Dang I thought talking about "no go zones", using "shariah" as a verb, and then claiming thousands of Americans are beheaded in France on a monthly basis would make it clear I was joking/boomer roleplaying, but I guess I have to manually pull off my rubber mask here. It wasn't Old Man Jenkins, it was me, the moon monster.

I mean I figured/hoped that was the case. At least you provided relevant thread content

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Boomers are terrified all the time of everything

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Professor Shark posted:

Everything is a worst-case scenario, even if the likelihood of it happening are slim to none. I have tried to reprogram my brain after being surrounded by this, but it's tough.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Professor Shark posted:

Ugh, I always hated driving with my mom, she white knuckles everything in the passenger seat.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Joining the NRA, getting a concealed carry permit, and fantasizing about singlehandedly stopping a Muslim terror attack at the corner gas station, despite being a 70 year old 350 lb diabetic who uses a cane, has a handicapped parking permit, and hasn't fired a gun in about 45 years.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The way we consume news is loving with our brains so anyone who watches too much of it is going to start showing at the very least mild signs of mental illness. I had to specifically exclude Fox from my Apple News feed because that was 100% the source for teachers loving their students headlines. I also mark dislike on every dead child story because reading that stuff screws with your head. Its like those Facebook mods who start to believe the fake news conspiracy theories they're supposed to be regulating.

Boomers love TV news so they're going to get the worst of it. Also, what the gently caress Fox. I have not seen a single female teacher raping a child story since I blocked that channel. And it was never a guy teacher. It's always a pretty blonde lady doing the raping. So it's a kink thing for the Fox audience.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

FizFashizzle posted:

The vietnam war wasn't really that big a deal to the boomers.

For the vast majority of white middle class boomers, the war in vietnam was just like what the war in iraq was; something that was over there that didn't impact them directly and every now and then it forced them into a political opinion. It had very little impact on their daily life.
The presence and effect of the draft made it hugely more impactful than any post-Vietnam conflict.

The only way it wouldn't affect you would be if you didn't have a connection to a friend, relative who was drafted,

And yourself, of course.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Moon Monster posted:

90% of the forums now is middle age computer programmers who must absolutely be the most correct person in the room at all times

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Iron Crowned posted:

Ugh, I always hated driving with my mom, she white knuckles everything in the passenger seat.

That's probably more of a mom thing than a boomer thing. My great grandfather was so traumatizing that my grandmother never learned how to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

90% of the forums now is middle age computer programmers who must absolutely be the most correct person in the room at all times

Actually, it's more like 91%.

:goonsay: