Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

I was at a working woollen mill recently, with their original in-the-basement-hydroelectric-plant powered chain programmable looms, still cranking out jacquard woven wool rugs up to 4.5m wide. They'll happily make whatever you wanted if you work with their designer/loom programmer, I can imagine prices are thousands per metre considering the hundreds per metre they were charging for their standard tapestry fabrics.

My well-off great aunt had a chaise longue and six chairs reupholstered back in the eighties and the jacquard fabric cost 25 000 FIM which comes to about 7 000 € today. And I bet it wasn't the fanciest pattern. The reason I remember the price might have something to do with me making GBS threads the chaise longue when I had a really bad stomach bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Stag Ballroom, Mar Lodge, Scotland.
https://www.nts.org.uk/venue-hire/mar-lodge-estate/private-events

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqQ1OhW9rc8

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

and here it is again, but actually within my price range

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 15, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

That fabric is crazy expensive. It's what your grandma's sofa's upholstery was made cheaply to mimic.

e: The pattern is woven, not printed.

ee: I mean, I'm assuming.

Oh, I don't doubt it. At least, that's the only way I can imagine that style of furniture being in that photograph. But considering that it is a photograph, I can't tell it apart from the cheaply-made stuff, hence the tonal dissonance.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Honestly if I lived in Hearst Castle I'd do less blocky sofas and armchairs with less busy upholstery (like monotone fabrics where the patterning comes from variation in shade and texture rather than variation in color) because you really don't want to have furniture competing too much with the insane level of inbuilt interior detail, which is the star of the show.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

luxury handset posted:

and here it is again, but actually within my price range

This is incredibly cool

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I hate interiors that make me think "how the gently caress am I going to hoover up there?" before anything else.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

I'm getting the weirdest deja vu, pretty sure I've been in that house. Where is it?

Brother Buer
Oct 23, 2012

Nothing says "I love you" like renting out a wedding venue with thousands of deer skulls peering into tour very soul.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jerry Cotton posted:

I hate interiors that make me think "how the gently caress am I going to hoover up there?" before anything else.

well, there is a master bedroom snow shovel so that train of thought goes nowhere good.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm getting the weirdest deja vu, pretty sure I've been in that house. Where is it?

the nice one is in memphis

the still nice but affordable one is nearish minneapolis

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Enchanted Hat posted:

This thread challenge is going to kill me. My brain can't even handle all this maximalism

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This seems like a really good passive security system. How is a burglar even going to find the valuable things in this?

e: You could have the Hope Diamond dangling from the ceiling on a string and no one will see it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

This seems like a really good passive security system.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Burglar: :yikes:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Minimalism: Great for burglars, bad for you.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Queen Victorian posted:

Thread challenge: The kind of opulence I love is Beaux Arts turned up to eleven. Here's Hearst Castle, which owns:

Xanadu is way cooler.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Brother Buer posted:

Nothing says "I love you" like renting out a wedding venue with thousands of deer skulls peering into tour very soul.

That's metal as gently caress and I now regret renting a gazebo in the park instead, even if it was pretty baller grilling burgs in my wedding dress

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is there a way to look at photos like this and know whether it's solid wood or laminated? I'm not terribly familiar with furniture shopping, given that I've lived in small apartments up until now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Is there a way to look at photos like this and know whether it's solid wood or laminated? I'm not terribly familiar with furniture shopping, given that I've lived in small apartments up until now.

Can't help you, I think it's solid (pine?) But I'm not clever enough to say why I think that. I like it though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The main way to tell is to look at the ends of the boards. If you can see end grain, then it's solid wood; if it looks like more long grain, then it's covered with veneer, which means that underneath the veneer is either particle board or plywood.

Particle board is also super-heavy compared to solid wood, but you can't tell weight from photographs.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It is oak, possibly ash, but 90% sure it’s oak. The drawer fronts and face frame at least are solid wood, as is the edge banding on the top. The top itself could be veneered or could be solid-it’s a bit hard to tell.

How to tell? It’s hard sometimes. Hints that it is veneer are that all the bits of wood look the same and are matched up well with each other. If you could look at the end of those drawers, you would see end grain (the rings from the tree trunk) and that means it is solid wood. Veneered particleboard in particular is heavy as poo poo. Antiques are often surprisingly lightweight and some modern solid wood stuff is too.

That being said, solid vs. veneer is not in any way a reliable marker of quality. There is plenty of cheaply made garbage furniture made of screwed together solid wood that at a given price point might outlast similarly priced veneered stuff, but isn’t inherently more durable than a well built veneered piece. Lots of incredibly fine antiques, much mid century modern stuff, and a lot of. Very high end contemporary designer stuff is veneered.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

cakesmith handyman posted:

I was at a working woollen mill recently, with their original in-the-basement-hydroelectric-plant powered chain programmable looms, still cranking out jacquard woven wool rugs up to 4.5m wide. They'll happily make whatever you wanted if you work with their designer/loom programmer, I can imagine prices are thousands per metre considering the hundreds per metre they were charging for their standard tapestry fabrics.

tell me more, where was this?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It is oak, possibly ash, but 90% sure it’s oak. The drawer fronts and face frame at least are solid wood, as is the edge banding on the top. The top itself could be veneered or could be solid-it’s a bit hard to tell.

How to tell? It’s hard sometimes. Hints that it is veneer are that all the bits of wood look the same and are matched up well with each other. If you could look at the end of those drawers, you would see end grain (the rings from the tree trunk) and that means it is solid wood. Veneered particleboard in particular is heavy as poo poo. Antiques are often surprisingly lightweight and some modern solid wood stuff is too.

That being said, solid vs. veneer is not in any way a reliable marker of quality. There is plenty of cheaply made garbage furniture made of screwed together solid wood that at a given price point might outlast similarly priced veneered stuff, but isn’t inherently more durable than a well built veneered piece. Lots of incredibly fine antiques, much mid century modern stuff, and a lot of. Very high end contemporary designer stuff is veneered.

I had heard that before. If that's the case, how does one identify quality pieces, lacking a significant manufacturer?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is that where the word "gaudy" came from?

I always thought so, but as it turns out, probably not.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

I had heard that before. If that's the case, how does one identify quality pieces, lacking a significant manufacturer?

If I have to do it at a glance, I just look at the back of something. If the back (or somewhere normally not seen) looks like poo poo, someones cheaping out. You can check something like a couch the same way by the same way by reaching underneath it.

That's not the only way and its not foolproof, but it's a real easy way to flush out a lot of poo poo furniture that's just made to ~look fancy~

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Do the various components fit tightly together? Is it straight or crooked? Is the finish even? The really lovely pieces won't pass these checks.

There's also things like, is there a frame that holds the furniture together that isn't just the face pieces? You can make a box out of four boards, but your dresser or table or whatever should have more than just those four boards, because without interior support they'll sag and separate over time.

If the piece has drawers, and they're held together using dovetail joints, that's a good sign. It's by no means mandatory that drawers have dovetail joints, but if they do then that almost certainly means the piece was handmade.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Jerry Cotton posted:

My well-off great aunt had a chaise longue and six chairs reupholstered back in the eighties and the jacquard fabric cost 25 000 FIM which comes to about 7 000 € today. And I bet it wasn't the fanciest pattern. The reason I remember the price might have something to do with me making GBS threads the chaise longue when I had a really bad stomach bug.
Post the toilet chaise, coward!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I appreciate the correct use of "chaise longue" while telling a story about making GBS threads on one

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Post the toilet chaise, coward!

Antivehicular posted:

I appreciate the correct use of "chaise longue" while telling a story about making GBS threads on one

Do people use it incorrectly?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the peeling wallpaper.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do people use it incorrectly?

It’s misspelled “chaise lounge” more often than not.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

It’s misspelled “chaise lounge” more often than not.

hosed up if true.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

tell me more, where was this?

Trefriw in North Wales

https://www.t-w-m.co.uk/

They don't advertise the custom fabric on their website but I was talking to one of the operators while my kids were totally absorbed watching the machines working, they have done custom designs but it's a lot of set up

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

It's oak, red oak to be more precise, and the word laminated has a lot of negative connotations. The top is probably oak veneer 'laminated' onto a stable substrate like particle board because using solid lumber in that situation is a headache. The edge banding is solid wood. Veneering does not automatically mean inferior, it's an ingenious method figured out ages ago by cool craftsmen, and dear lord the skill and labor they had to have then to peel it in consistent thickness.
You can see the drawer fronts are solid oak, but they're 1 1/2" - 2" wide pieces that have been 'laminated' together to form suitable widths. This way oak's tendency to cup and warp is negated and you have a nice flat piece. It's solid oak lumber, yet way more practical than a single board width piece and way cheaper than quartersawn, which you see on cool antiques with that neat striation. The cost of having to machine it together is offset by the lumber being cheaper in narrow or odd width, and more of it can be used. It's not a garbage piece of furniture, if that's what you're asking.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think the top is possibly solid, it appears to be three separate planks, similar to the drawers. I feel like that'd be less likely if it were veneered.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I think its painted styrofoam, perhaps even inflatable

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Antivehicular posted:

Was it a chaise or a recamier

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

I think the top is possibly solid, it appears to be three separate planks, similar to the drawers. I feel like that'd be less likely if it were veneered.

Yeah good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The top might still be veneered particle board, just the veneer might be made by sawing thin slices off regular boards, rather than peeing a single large piece off a log.
One way to tell might be to remove one or two of the top drawers and look at the underside of the top panel.