Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Donovan Trip posted:

I'm sure Disney pulling marvel from Netflix had nothing to do with it either

There's at least sixty years demonstrating exactly how the mouse thinks

Nothing to do with GoT getting bad reviews?

I mean, [corporation] leverages their influence to beat the competition isn't exactly news in any case. I just don't think there was any intentional harming of GoT final season by Disney :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The industry doesn't care about bad reviews. Got final season had like 17 million live viewers an episode or something insane, streaming numbers are internal i think.

And yes those numbers matter to Disney who are literally spending billions to enter streaming.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I don't see why they're even using the terror branding at all, it seems totally unrelated. The fuckin' Cloverfield universe seems more tightly linked.

The show was envisioned from the start as an anthology series, and I think there's plenty linking "evil Inuit spirit stalks group of people trapped in frozen wilderness" with "evil Japanese spirit stalks group of people trapped in internment camp"

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Jazerus posted:

okay now explain the five seasons before that

Game of Thrones started sucking when they ran out of source material to adapt and were going on GRRM's drunken ramblings about how he was thinking about ending the story.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dietrich posted:

Game of Thrones started sucking when they ran out of source material to adapt and were going on GRRM's drunken ramblings about how he was thinking about ending the story.

it started sucking when it became about pain and violence for the sake of pain and violence

so roughly season 3 or so, long before they left grrm's material, which is inherently violent yes but doesn't take the same gleeful tone as the show. they decided that the gore got more eyeballs with less effort than the plot so the focus shifted to "who's gonna get mutilated and/or killed next week? what's cersei's next moronic plan to kill people? how many times can we show ramsay bolton shirtless while he cuts off theon's balls?" and so on

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Jazerus posted:

it started sucking when it became about pain and violence for the sake of pain and violence

so roughly season 3 or so, long before they left grrm's material, which is inherently violent yes but doesn't take the same gleeful tone as the show. they decided that the gore got more eyeballs with less effort than the plot so the focus shifted to "who's gonna get mutilated and/or killed next week? what's cersei's next moronic plan to kill people? how many times can we show ramsay bolton shirtless while he cuts off theon's balls?" and so on

I mean there's no accounting for opinions, but review scores stayed pretty high until they fell a bit in the penultimate season then hit rock bottom in the last one.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Some people are taking this Hulu news worse than others.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/orville-stars-adrianne-palicki-scott-003606538.html

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yikes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

"Captain, I'm glad you requested another of your ex-wives to replace Commander Grayson."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Lord Bude posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Like, in general?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wowza

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Gordon's last name is 1000?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I mean, what can be said really, aside from:

holy poo poo lmao

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
If life imitates art, that dastardly Rob Lowe is to blame.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
maybe they were just vegas married

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Maybe the goal is to have every guy in the show chase every woman in the show away. Two down?

I wonder if this had to do with the production delays...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Peachfart posted:

Like, in general?

If you’re getting a divorce after 2 months of marriage it suggests there was a major malfunction in your decision making processes over the proceeding few months.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It happened with Ariana and Pete Davidson and they're still friends :colbert:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I bet I know what happened.

As a little girl, Palicki had a crush on a boy she saw on TV. Sometimes it would be a movie, and sometimes it was a TV show, but she was in love. And, as fate would have it, she met her first true love while working on The Orville, and quickly real-life sparks flew as they started a relationship. It was a whirlwind romance. A few weeks after they were married, she whispered into his hear, "Now I'm your toy!," and Grimes immediately shot out of bed in disgust.

"Are you loving kidding me?!" he screamed at her. "Seriously? Really?? Not this poo poo again. Why does this happen every time? Listen carefully," he said, seemingly calmed down a little. He leaned down to her shocked face, put his mouth next to her ear, and shouted as loudly as he could, "I AM NOT SCOTTY loving SCHWARTZ!!!!!"

"But... but you were in an episode of 21 Jump Street, weren't you?"

"Yeah! We both were!! It may be hard to imagine, but a TV series based on teenagers is allowed to have more than one teenage guest star over the course of five seasons!! I can't loving believe you loving thought I was loving Scotty loving Schwartz this whole loving time!!"

Grimes then left the apartment, slamming the door so hard that Palicki's ears were left ringing. She went to the door, opened it, and shouted after him, "... HE GOES BY 'SCOTT SCHWARTZ' NOW, rear end in a top hat!"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Beachcomber posted:

Gordon's last name is 1000?

Good ol' Lieutenant Gordon TKTKTKLookUpBeforePublish!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just got a notification that the Interactive Fan Experience is available on Steam for early access. But there's no play/install button. :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Staying true to the fox sci-fi fan experience

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This should take care of it until then:

steam://install/1096200

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Its page seems to be fully online now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1096200/The_Orville__Interactive_Fan_Experience/

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just got a notification that the Interactive Fan Experience is available on Steam for early access. But there's no play/install button. :(

Works For Me™. I played around with it a bit, couldn't figure out how to launch the shuttle, but I could (slowly?) fly the ship a little.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

poo poo keeps booting up SteamVR, even tho it doesn't have a VR mode.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Man, I thought the timeline was FIXED now.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Combat Pretzel posted:

poo poo keeps booting up SteamVR, even tho it doesn't have a VR mode.

That’s happened to me for a lot of early access poo poo. You have to unplug your vr headset.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Silly Burrito posted:

Man, I thought the timeline was FIXED now.

This is actually what fixes it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
It just occurred to me that even though the Orville has a fair amount of pop culture references they aren't gratuitous. I.e. they're usually examined and relevant to themes, plot or characterization

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jewel Repetition posted:

It just occurred to me that even though the Orville has a fair amount of pop culture references they aren't gratuitous. I.e. they're usually examined and relevant to themes, plot or characterization

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tK50F69m54

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Exactly. Extremely important for characterization.

We also got examples like a Roots reference-heavy episode, and a character not being told what their name was, but that they have to change the name they chose. Or a Kermit doll on the captain's desk. It's just there.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Tested Youtube channel did a tour of the display at SDCC of the Orville props & costumes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHwnXcHK34I

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Time travel science fuckery youtubery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf3op3-blow

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mllaneza posted:

Exactly. Extremely important for characterization.

We also got examples like a Roots reference-heavy episode, and a character not being told what their name was, but that they have to change the name they chose. Or a Kermit doll on the captain's desk. It's just there.

Babylon 5 did that too. Sure Zima in the Zocalo was a joke, but it was a pretty ubiquitous sign at the time.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
In continuing Hulu scifi news (there's not that much to chat about right now yeah?), Hulu is launching a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy show. AV club article

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Donovan Trip posted:

In continuing Hulu scifi news (there's not that much to chat about right now yeah?), Hulu is launching a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy show. AV club article

Man I absolutely don't want an American made HHGTTG show.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Taear posted:

Man I absolutely don't want an American made HHGTTG show.

Reminds me of America's Dr. Who
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrlZCm2GnXI
(Maybe NSFW-ish)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

8one6 posted:

Reminds me of America's Dr. Who
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrlZCm2GnXI
(Maybe NSFW-ish)