Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

noticed yesterday evening that the EV charger in a parking lot was having trouble:

sure let's run the interface .jar as administrator, what could possibly go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

noticed yesterday evening that the EV charger in a parking lot was having trouble:

sure let's run the interface .jar as administrator, what could possibly go wrong?
would that be a way around the firewall that all the manufacturers of cars with in-vehicle entertainment systems are totally and definitely implementing without any flaws between it and the can-bus used for controlling the car?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

D. Ebdrup posted:

would that be a way around the firewall that all the manufacturers of cars with in-vehicle entertainment systems are totally and definitely implementing without any flaws between it and the can-bus used for controlling the car?

uh what?

why would the charger be communicating with the entertainment system?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i wouldn't be at all surprised to learn the charging port had a data pin that let the charger talk to the canbus

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

uh what?

why would the charger be communicating with the entertainment system?

they're thinking about that def con talk from a few years back where you could take over Chryslers through the cell-connected infotainment

for EVs the normal thing is to have every aspect of the car controllable remotely, which means there's an interconnect between the traction battery system and the cell network, and an interconnect between the traction battery system and external EV chargers

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

i wouldn't be at all surprised to learn the charging port had a data pin that let the charger talk to the canbus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772#Signaling reading up ont his

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm aware of the jeep hack, etc. and there's been a bunch of stuff on hacking the tesla infotainment system (can bus comms are handled via limited api calls iirc)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

i'm aware of the jeep hack, etc. and there's been a bunch of stuff on hacking the tesla infotainment system (can bus comms are handled via limited api calls iirc)

yeah but is anyone at tsla, like, running afl on the charge port poo poo?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i haven't seen much about charger comms. afaik the vehicle sends a vin to the supercharger for billing/auth but i haven't seen anything explaining the protocol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

at its most basic the only communication between the car and the charger is it putting various resistances across a signal line to say how much current it can supply / draw, which you probably couldn't hack, but i'm sure there's way more complex systems now and they're probably connected directly to the CAN bus just because they CAN be :haw:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Taking over an EV charger would probably be a decent credit card mitm attack, since there are a bunch of brands and if you just did the “oops sorry the new system needs your data updated, scan this qr or visit this link to continue” and most users would happily enter their cc details

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
^^that's phishing not mitm, good idea though

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Shame Boy posted:

at its most basic the only communication between the car and the charger is it putting various resistances across a signal line to say how much current it can supply / draw, which you probably couldn't hack, but i'm sure there's way more complex systems now and they're probably connected directly to the CAN bus just because they CAN be :haw:

Yep nobody would run a network over a simple power cable

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Trabisnikof posted:

Taking over an EV charger would probably be a decent credit card mitm attack, since there are a bunch of brands and if you just did the “oops sorry the new system needs your data updated, scan this qr or visit this link to continue” and most users would happily enter their cc details

right. also how likely is it those terminals are properly walled off from the rest of the charger owner's network?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i have no idea why but amazon recommended me the very crazy book "Project: Soul Catcher: Secrets of Cyber and Cybernetic Warfare Revealed" just now and with a title like that i just had to look inside (so i'm going to get a bunch more recommendations i'm sure). right at page one of chapter one, it's amazing:

"every computer hacking technique is applicable to humans" lmao

man don't you hate it when you just wake up and before you've even had your coffee you get a stack overflow and have to go back to bed and start over again

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

"every computer hacking technique is applicable to humans" lmao

fevers are just the result of a dos attack

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

right. also how likely is it those terminals are properly walled off from the rest of the charger owner's network?

If they are running their application as admin, and not as some sort of service account, its probably safe to assume they have little to nothing between their endpoints and their colo/cloud.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

then the look inside preview does that thing where it skips to near the end of the book, and where it decided to land was this... test? because apparently you're supposed to be using this book to teach a class??

well do y'all know how a "psychotronic virus" works? i'm sure that's covered in the CISSP test or something right

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shifty Pony posted:

its cool I'm sure uac is enabledhahahahahahaha

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

then the look inside preview does that thing where it skips to near the end of the book, and where it decided to land was this... test? because apparently you're supposed to be using this book to teach a class??

well do y'all know how a "psychotronic virus" works? i'm sure that's covered in the CISSP test or something right

.....uhhhh, did they switch the actual text with something from a conspiracy theory book? Are they going to want you to discuss HAARP next?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

.....uhhhh, did they switch the actual text with something from a conspiracy theory book? Are they going to want you to discuss HAARP next?

i think something got lost in translation here, it literally is a conspiracy theory book about how the CIA can hack your brain, i'm just posting it cuz i find them fascinating, especially since this dude is coming at it from a CS background so everything is through the lens of computer hacking

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CommieGIR posted:

If they are running their application as admin, and not as some sort of service account, its probably safe to assume they have little to nothing between their endpoints and their colo/cloud.

also looks like there is no native credit card handling on the kiosk itself, so there's no pesky PCI DSS compliance requirements making them not do dumb poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

i think something got lost in translation here, it literally is a conspiracy theory book about how the CIA can hack your brain, i'm just posting it cuz i find them fascinating, especially since this dude is coming at it from a CS background so everything is through the lens of computer hacking

That makes a lot more sense.

Shifty Pony posted:

also looks like there is no native credit card handling on the kiosk itself, so there's no pesky PCI DSS compliance requirements making them not do dumb poo poo.

Yeah, the common solution to PCI DSS now is: "Let someone else do it."

We're PCI Compliant now!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

neuro-feedback loops aren't necessary for mind control, what's with the trick questions?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

in less crazy news, my credit union now has a big red box on the online login page:

please attain a level of hyperawareness higher than our plane of consciousness about the text scams

(reading the link it's just people trying to trick you into entering your pin by pretending to be a fraud protection text)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I need a Hyperaware to run my Virtual Awareness on.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

in less crazy news, my credit union now has a big red box on the online login page:

please attain a level of hyperawareness higher than our plane of consciousness about the text scams

(reading the link it's just people trying to trick you into entering your pin by pretending to be a fraud protection text)
i clicked on it but it wouldn't accept my bank details, is it working for you?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

what good is an important announcementnt if you can't wrap it in several layers of officious bullshit

thank you for deleting win32.PUPkin

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
win32.puckins

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

op, i think that box might not be red :ohdear:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

qanon, and it works real good on dumbasses

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

op, i think that box might not be red :ohdear:

what color do you see? i see a pinkish red, like right on the border between red and pink but imo still red, but my monitor's color temperature is probably all sorts of hosed up :shrug:

according to the css it's #d33679

e: goog says that's "dark pink" apparently, ok

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ewiley posted:

it at least has the decency to look shocked about it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, the common solution to PCI DSS now is: "Let someone else do it."

We're PCI Compliant now!

well tbf making inconvenient stuff Someone Else's Problem is practically a foundational principle in business.

ewiley posted:

these are actually very useful if you need low latency, jitter, and packet loss instead of raw throughput. good ones have mandatory AES encryption and can be easily re-keyed if you don't trust their key assignment. only real downside is speed drops pretty dramatically if you have them behind a surge protector.

I used to use a pair to bring a solid network connection into my office because there's no way I'm going to route my work (encrypted as it may be) over a wireless connection. my new place has cat6 in the wall so now I used them to put a printer in a more convenient spot where there isn't a close jack.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

well tbf making inconvenient stuff Someone Else's Problem is practically a foundational principle in business.

these are actually very useful if you need low latency, jitter, and packet loss instead of raw throughput. good ones have mandatory AES encryption and can be easily re-keyed if you don't trust their key assignment. only real downside is speed drops pretty dramatically if you have them behind a surge protector.

I used to use a pair to bring a solid network connection into my office because there's no way I'm going to route my work (encrypted as it may be) over a wireless connection. my new place has cat6 in the wall so now I used them to put a printer in a more convenient spot where there isn't a close jack.

from what i've heard power-line network stuff like that is very popular in europe because a lot of their buildings (especially the old ones) are made of solid materials instead of cardboard and tape and so attenuate wifi real good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shame Boy posted:

from what i've heard power-line network stuff like that is very popular in europe because a lot of their buildings (especially the old ones) are made of solid materials instead of cardboard and tape and so attenuate wifi real good

more likely it's because there are much stricter limits for wifi AP power output over there. 2.4 and 5.8 aren't slain by two walls, which would be the more likely case in smaller EU residences

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shame Boy posted:

this is my situation, I use them to unify the upstairs and downstairs wifi. I'm in the US but whatever the floor is made of does slay my base stations (prewar high-rise)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 1, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Since server versions of windows can finally run without a gui, I'm surprised Microsoft still doesn't sell a pos/kiosk version of windows where only the user application runs on the gui. Or do they and nobody uses it for some reason?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

its cool I'm sure uac is enabledhahahahahahaha

there's no UAC to turn off in XP friend

"documents and settings" changed to "users" in Vista, cmd.exe doesn't handle the docs/settings symlink very well, the mouse cursor is pre-vista, and the low virtual memory dialog also changed between XP and vista

burning swine fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol poo poo thought that was vista/win7