Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

nope and if you're wondering if that is specifically why, i suspect you'd be right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

more likely it's because there are much stricter limits for wifi AP power output over there. 2.4 and 5.8 aren't slain by two walls, which would be the more likely case in smaller EU residences

eh idk i've had wifi rendered very weak by a good solid concrete / brick wall before back in college. like it still connected but it was real slow and had lots of errors in the interface statistics. though i'm sure the transmit power limits are probably a bigger deal than walls, yeah.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

oh god it keeps getting worse the more you dig into it. XP?!

if anyone is in with the Twitter IT security community feel free to tweet that photo. I'm sure they'd have some fun opinions.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Shifty Pony posted:

oh god it keeps getting worse the more you dig into it. XP?!

Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 was in extended support up to April 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes posted:

Since server versions of windows can finally run without a gui, I'm surprised Microsoft still doesn't sell a pos/kiosk version of windows where only the user application runs on the gui. Or do they and nobody uses it for some reason?

you could, if you wanted to, replace the shell with your kiosk app executable using a registry key. i don't think i've ever seen anyone do that though.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

from what i've heard power-line network stuff like that is very popular in europe because a lot of their buildings (especially the old ones) are made of solid materials instead of cardboard and tape and so attenuate wifi real good

we have an old house and i have to have a pair of those b.c wifi doesn't make it up all the way to my office otherwise

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

you could, if you wanted to, replace the shell with your kiosk app executable using a registry key. i don't think i've ever seen anyone do that though.

Our concourse kiosks do this, and I briefly played around with the idea on a mame htpc

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

there is absolutely a way to do this, its what I set up for rdp thin client kiosks back in the day on 2003. I think it might have been part of RDP policy where it intercepted the default explorer.exe run on logon and replaced it with something else. In my case, iexplorer with a url passed to it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It's also how you would run litestep or other shell replacement back in the day.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Seems like a lot of Kiosks are moving to Android more and more, I do still see a lot of XP/CE Embedded devices all over the place.

Found one running unauthenticated telnet during a pen test yesterday.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

more likely it's because there are much stricter limits for wifi AP power output over there. 2.4 and 5.8 aren't slain by two walls, which would be the more likely case in smaller EU residences
steel-built buildings (mostly framing, sometimes panels as well) isn't a particularly common design but it impacts wifi range significantly - if you have a garden to care about that

i'll still yell against the use of powerline ethernet, but mostly as new builds should have ethernet run already for you and it should be included as part of a rewire in the 21st century imo

mystes
May 31, 2006

Even if you replace the shell, aren't you still going to get update notifications and stuff on the display?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

mystes posted:

Even if you replace the shell, aren't you still going to get update notifications and stuff on the display?

those are all part of explorer.exe, which isn't running. So long as you disable the easy escape methods (win+r, ctrl+shift+esc, ctrl+alt+del, etc) you're good

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lol @ running windows on an embedded system

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I had some lovely vendor bring in plc's that ended up being skinned windows ce. they got exposed to the net, owned, and then we got a call from sony because they were attacking PSN through them

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Its cheap, and business likes cheap.

Those price checker machines you see at Wal-Mart and other places are often Windows Embedded.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

or a laptop, or a desktop, or a phone, or a server, or

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

windows is the best os to run on any system

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shaggar posted:

everyone says so, the very best

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

the only system windows is fit for is the sewage system

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the only system windows is fit for is the sewage system

Well, I have some good news and some bad news...

The good news is it is in the sewage system. The bad news is it runs the place.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

WiFi gets unrepentantly destroyed by plaster and lath walls lmao

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Captain Foo posted:

yeah, it’s a bloodbath

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

just the kind made with wire mesh, or in general?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lath and plaster is wood, and is very bad. mesh and plaster is much worse. double brick is essentially unpenetrable

old houses are absolute nightmares for connectivity

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dylan16807 posted:

just the kind made with wire mesh, or in general?

In general, even without wire mesh the huge amounts of tiny nails in the lath are brutal

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Er, right

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Its cheap, and business likes cheap.

Those price checker machines you see at Wal-Mart and other places are often Windows Embedded.

So are a lot of American made medical devices, as well as USN weapons systems

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"windows for battleships"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

"windows for battleships"

Localhost.USSMissouri.net

Do Destroyers have Active Directory?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CommieGIR posted:

Localhost.USSMissouri.net

Do Destroyers have Active Directory?

I'm a 3-star domain admiral

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"windows for battlegroups"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Windows 10 U.S.S. Enterprise

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FCKGW-1701-D

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

FCKGW-1701-D

heh

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

"Don't you know who I am? I'm a manager, I NEED domain admin!"

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
https://www.theonion.com/hacked-equ...ZsLrJB9FqLWB948

Now they have to change it for the Capital One customers

mystes
May 31, 2006

Janitor Prime posted:

https://www.theonion.com/hacked-equ...ZsLrJB9FqLWB948

Now they have to change it for the Capital One customers
"Due to unexpectedly high demand, each class member will now only be eligible to receive at most one stolen credit card number."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

FCKGW-1701-D