Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

flakeloaf posted:

posting on the nice page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:nfpa:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

if we're still complaining about passwords, some websites will let you make a password for it that works perfectly fine, but the app for the same service will silently truncate the password and wont let one log in. I've encountered this twice and they were both financial institutions

1password is generally good but they have an ideological stance on disallowed characters in passwords (won't support removing specific characters from their generator) so you have to cycle through randomly generated passwords until you get one that doesn't contain []{}#%^*+ or whatever which is annoying in general but super super annoying on mobile

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Schadenboner posted:

This is a behavioral problem not a technical one. Technical solutions will only ever inspire false confidence and, because they do not address (much less resolve) the underlying behavioral issue, will never improve the situations.

Also: go gently caress yourself.

i'm responding to your asterisk and scare-quotes emoji, which implied that children potentially overdosing on drugs and/or getting raped is not a problem.

that said, if you want to really get into your post, while i wouldn't consider digital surveillance to be a complete solution to a behavior problem, i also wouldn't discount its use as an immediate tool for trying to protect a child from bad actors while also working to address the behavioral issue.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm responding to your asterisk and scare-quotes emoji, which implied that children potentially overdosing on drugs and/or getting raped is not a problem.

that said, if you want to really get into your post, while i wouldn't consider digital surveillance to be a complete solution to a behavior problem, i also wouldn't discount its use as an immediate tool for trying to protect a child from bad actors while also working to address the behavioral issue.

Therapy is a solution. Medication is a solution. If necessary, involuntary commitment is a solution. Installing spyware is not a solution.

"We'll only use it this time! And it's for good reasons! Promise promise!" is generally an unfavorable position to hold.

E: Also they're called smilies. :eng101:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it's almost like the solutions to complicated problems like parenting must necessarily comprise many different strategies, unless you're a complete simpleton, in which case "installing a program is a one-step way to permanently solve all problems" might be a thing you'd think someone else said

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 8, 2019

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

if we're still complaining about passwords, some websites will let you make a password for it that works perfectly fine, but the app for the same service will silently truncate the password and wont let one log in. I've encountered this twice and they were both financial institutions

that is simultaneously funny and sad, 50% like my posting

quote:

1password is generally good but they have an ideological stance on disallowed characters in passwords (won't support removing specific characters from their generator) so you have to cycle through randomly generated passwords until you get one that doesn't contain []{}#%^*+ or whatever which is annoying in general but super super annoying on mobile

i support the stance in general but when it makes the users' lives harder sometimes it's better to just knuckle under than it is to tell them to tell the bank (cause lol of course it's a bank) who doesn't allow single quotes to fix their poo poo

quote:

it's not worth cluttering up the user interface of 1Password to accommodate website practices that shouldn't be employed at all and represent a relatively small number of sites overall when they are employed.

Being unable to handle certain special characters is indeed a hint that the site is possibly vulnerable to SQL injection or other HTTP attacks related to special characters or possibly that that they are not using good hashing practices on the server side. Hashes result in hexadecimal characters and always the same length of string regardless of the size of the input. So, a site that place unreasonable limits on password length (For safety and server defense sake, a high upper limit like 256 characters would still be useful.) or cannot handle certain special characters makes me think they are possibly not properly protecting my password on the server side as well. When you encounter these sites, I would encourage you to voice your concerns and ask those companies to update their practices to allow for better security.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Can't get into that client?

Ship them a exploit:

https://boingboing.net/2019/08/07/warchakalakaboom.html

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

you can turn symbols off entirely, right?

if so it seems like a pretty reasonable stance. symbols are barely worth it in the first place, and a limited set of symbols is even less worth it. with 16 symbols allowed it's the difference between 6 bits of entropy per character and 6.3 bits. add one more character if you're worried about password quality, and if you're already at max password length then the max is probably too short with or without symbols.

if sites are simultaneously forcing you to use symbols and restricting the list, then :eng99:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Dylan16807 posted:

if sites are simultaneously forcing you to use symbols and restricting the list

It's this. It's always this.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Dylan16807 posted:

if sites are simultaneously forcing you to use symbols and restricting the list, then :eng99:

dude,

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On the topic of password length issues, I managed to create an account for Chargepoint where I can't update my password or any other account-level settings because my username (unmodifiable) is too short.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I've seen one website, can't remember which one now, it only popped up the list of restricted symbols after you input one into the new password field

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

James Baud posted:

On the topic of password length issues, I managed to create an account for Chargepoint where I can't update my password or any other account-level settings because my username (unmodifiable) is too short.

in a similar vein, i have a client who can never update their domain whois with CIRA, because the domain is registered to an organization with "Canada" in the name, and the registrar insists that's a banned word in the organization field for .ca domains

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

in a similar vein, i have a client who can never update their domain whois with CIRA, because the domain is registered to an organization with "Canada" in the name, and the registrar insists that's a banned word in the organization field for .ca domains

Doesn't the Canadian government name things "(Function) Canada" fairly regularly?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

It's this. It's always this.

huh. I've only ever seen sites that require at least three out of capital, lowercase, number, symbol

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
use emojis

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Dylan16807 posted:

you can turn symbols off entirely, right?

if so it seems like a pretty reasonable stance. symbols are barely worth it in the first place, and a limited set of symbols is even less worth it. with 16 symbols allowed it's the difference between 6 bits of entropy per character and 6.3 bits. add one more character if you're worried about password quality, and if you're already at max password length then the max is probably too short with or without symbols.

I had to sign up somewhere recently where the password limit was 15 characters and I had to have three of each: lowercase, uppercase, digits, and a handful of symbols. I basically couldn't use the generator at all it was infuriating, but not the generators fault.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Schadenboner posted:

Doesn't the Canadian government name things "(Function) Canada" fairly regularly?

they do yes, many businesses and organizations with international presence also name themselves (something) Canada. when that's the legal name of your org you have to use it as part of your registration.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

a description that includes every federally registered corporation, iirc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

a description that includes every federally registered corporation, iirc

also this.

i'm fairly sure it's just the registrar being idiots, but it's hard to say because CIRA has changed a bunch of their registration systems recently.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I had a site that let me sign up with a + in the email, but not sign in with that email. Invalid characters.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, we're SEIM shopping, down to Secureworks, Logrythm, and Splunk.

But now it looks like they are not going to allow us to budget for any of them, and we are not renewing with Symantec for MSS, because its garbage.

I'm trying to develop a fallback plan around ELK if we can't get the C levels to sign off on any of our picks.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

CommieGIR posted:

But now it looks like they are not going to allow us to budget for any of them, and we are not renewing with Symantec for MSS, because its garbage.

I'm trying to develop a fallback plan around ELK if we can't get the C levels to sign off on any of our picks.

whatever happens, don’t do logrhythm

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lain Iwakura posted:

That's the gist of what we've been getting, but Splunk is outrageously pricey. Logrythm is desperate because they are losing customers right and left.

But at this point, Symantec's is so bad that Logrythm might be honestly better, especially if we are using a Managed Services to actually configure and filter. So we can tie deliverable to it and call them out on it via contracts if they cannot.

I'd preffer ELK or Splunk.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 9, 2019

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

CommieGIR posted:

That's the gist of what we've been getting, but Splunk is outrageously pricey. Logrythm is desperate because they are losing customers right and left.

But at this point, Symantec's is so bad that Logrythm might be honestly better, especially if we are using a Managed Services to actually configure and filter. So we can tie deliverable to it and call them out on it via contracts if they cannot.

I'd preffer ELK or Splunk.

go with ELK

you can find consultants who'll work with you and logrhythm is a sinking ship

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lain Iwakura posted:

go with ELK

That's what I'm planning on. The Analyst handling the SEIM budgeting pitch is aware of the issues, so I'm going with ELK as a fallback.

Its not my decision to make, I've been tasked just setting up for contingencies.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lain Iwakura posted:

go with ELK

Tangentially related to ELK, do you have opinions on Graylog?

e: link, https://www.graylog.org/

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

The Fool posted:

Tangentially related to ELK, do you have opinions on Graylog?

e: link, https://www.graylog.org/

zero

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Lain Iwakura posted:

why are they shedding customers?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

infernal machines posted:

i feel like this is one of the most horrifying things about having a child in the digital age. i don't, but a lot of my friends do as of the last few years and i can't imagine how they're going to deal with the morass of privacy, safety, and trust issues that are exacerbated by access to social media

A lot of people who were kids during facebook successfully navigated those things, why would future kids be unable to? Also just like with all things teaching your kids why has always been the solution.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Bring the kids to YOSPOS, they'll catch on to all this stuff and be better than us

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

CommieGIR posted:

Humio is alright if you want something supported and affordable. They'll claim unicorns can fly out its rear end with scaling and their statements are technically true but only because they're optimizing around single parameters (ingest, searchability, retention) so take their demo sizing with a grain of salt

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

why are they shedding customers?

probably because its doodoo from a butthole

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
ELK isn't much harder to configure than Splunk. There are a lot (at least here) of companies that will setup and maintain a full stack for you for less than like, 10% of what yearly Splunk licensing costs.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

probably because its doodoo from a butthole

*carefully updates selection criteria*

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jenny Agutter posted:

I've seen one website, can't remember which one now, it only popped up the list of restricted symbols after you input one into the new password field

Kronos webTA is like this, probably their other solutions as well.

except it waits until you enter your old password, the new one, the new one again, and submit the password change form to blank it all out and show a dialog box saying what characters are allowed to be selected from which you have to dismiss to try again.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
its amazing that the two big log ingest tools are written in loving ruby

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Apparently we use logrhythm at work but I don't have to touch it

yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU