Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I know the Lodge scenes quite justifiably grab a ton of attention but I absolutely adore the Tibetan Rock throwing scene so much. There's something about how completely onboard the Sheriff's Department is with the whole thing that I love, when Coop turns the board over and says he wants to give a history of Tibet and they just all lean forward as one with completely sincere interest makes me so happy. This feeling permeates the whole scene, on the surface they should think this guy is a weirdo or a lunatic and basically acting with the same hostility Truman initially shows Albert, but instead they're just like,"Okay, he's got a different investigative technique? Let's roll with it!"

The relationship between Cooper and the police in Twin Peaks (particularly Harry) is one of my favorite things about the series, and it never fails to amaze me just how quickly it gets established with almost zero tension or misunderstandings. Coop booping Harry's nose in his episode is so :3: as is his :thumbsup: after Harry's initial meeting with Albert.

Rageaholic posted:

Am I wrong or is it really creepy that the Horne brothers are competing to gently caress the same girl?

Extremely. The way they make the girls line up to be chosen is really loving scummy, and the clear discomfort the new girl has as she tries to appear seductive while Ben approaches her is deeply unsettling. Audrey asking Donna if Laura ever mentioned her father immediately paints him in a really suspicious light in a way that feels way more likely than the Leo stuff so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite episodes!

“Always... a pleasure”

Doc Hayward being uncomfortable as gently caress hinting to James to get the heck out of his house is pretty great. Add a laugh track and that could have been on a sitcom

“drat good coffee... and HOT!”

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
The lodge scene is legit scary after all these years. And they shot these scenes for the international pilot, right? They look different than the rest of the episode. Also Mike and Bob spoke normally. And I forgot that the humming sound in the lodge was there.
Basically, this episode felt like season 3.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AstroWhale posted:

The lodge scene is legit scary after all these years. And they shot these scenes for the international pilot, right? They look different than the rest of the episode. Also Mike and Bob spoke normally. And I forgot that the humming sound in the lodge was there.
Basically, this episode felt like season 3.
Yeah, Bob says "I'll catch you with my death bag.", which I'm pretty sure was in the international pilot.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jerusalem posted:

The relationship between Cooper and the police in Twin Peaks (particularly Harry) is one of my favorite things about the series, and it never fails to amaze me just how quickly it gets established with almost zero tension or misunderstandings.

I think the relationship is really sold as far back as E1. Coop has the "this is FBI jurisdiction now, you work for me" talk, Harry agrees, and the next line from Coop isn't "ok, here's what I need you to do" or "have Andy do X, Hawk do Y", it's just on to things Cooper finds more interesting, like what kind of trees he passed on his way into town. He's not rubbing Harry's nose in the whole jurisdiction thing or immediately trying to be Alpha Dog, he's just being Dale loving Cooper.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

David Lynch gets a lot of recognition for his shots of headlights on roads, but I also love the way the flashlights illuminate the woods at night. It makes me feel disoriented and vulnerable. Like anyone or anything could jump you. Leo's flashlight makes the trademark Twin Peaks electricity noise when he turns it on, as well. Clearly there is some magic to these moments of light in the dark.

Log lady intro: „All we see in this world is based on someone’s ideas. Some ideas are destructive, some are constructive.“ Her use of ideas in the context of dreams reminds me of the dual uses of fire in Hawk’s map. The effect of an idea depends on the intent of the person who acts on them. It’s strange how season three introduces the concept of the show being a dream, while this episode already tells us: „This world is a bunch of ideas strung together“.

Rageaholic posted:

Ladies and gentlemen: Audrey's dance!

As Audrey said: Isn’t it too dreamy?

Jerusalem posted:

I know the Lodge scenes quite justifiably grab a ton of attention but I absolutely adore the Tibetan Rock throwing scene so much. There's something about how completely onboard the Sheriff's Department is with the whole thing that I love, when Coop turns the board over and says he wants to give a history of Tibet and they just all lean forward as one with completely sincere interest makes me so happy. This feeling permeates the whole scene, on the surface they should think this guy is a weirdo or a lunatic and basically acting with the same hostility Truman initially shows Albert, but instead they're just like,"Okay, he's got a different investigative technique? Let's roll with it!"

The relationship between Cooper and the police in Twin Peaks (particularly Harry) is one of my favorite things about the series, and it never fails to amaze me just how quickly it gets established with almost zero tension or misunderstandings. Coop booping Harry's nose in his episode is so :3: as is his :thumbsup: after Harry's initial meeting with Albert.

Yeah, Harry and Coop's friendship is the thing that truly hooked me from the beginning. Obviously, there is a lot to love about Twin Peaks, but this is what makes the whole thing feel warm and welcoming. It seems strange at first that Harry is so willing to trust Cooper on this, but I think it kind of foreshadows the things he already believes, and just hasn’t told Cooper about. They seem like very different people, but in some ways they are very similar.

Lucy instantly reading up on Tibet is also incredibly charming.

Jerusalem posted:

Audrey asking Donna if Laura ever mentioned her father immediately paints him in a really suspicious light in a way that feels way more likely than the Leo stuff so far.

It certainly makes it seem way more suspicious when he says: „Laura died two days ago. I lost you years ago.“ in episode 2.

When Audrey tells Donna: "He used to sing to her", it really becomes even more vile that Ben could have potentially had sex with Laura at One Eyed Jack's. Laura and Audrey were not close, but they clearly grew up together.

Rageaholic, could you get me screencaps of:
35:41 Catherine's kimono
37:12 Josie's nightgown
43:40 A ufo(?) flying past the curtains
45:29 The little man gets up

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Catherine’s Kimono would be a cool band name

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Leland’s jacket has the red room zigzag pattern, haha.

Also I blinked audibly at the hint that super strength Nadine is already a thing (the rower machine).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And More posted:

Lucy instantly reading up on Tibet is also incredibly charming.
I don't think I ever noticed this until this viewing :3:

And More posted:

Rageaholic, could you get me screencaps of:
35:41 Catherine's kimono
37:12 Josie's nightgown
43:40 A ufo(?) flying past the curtains
45:29 The little man gets up
Ask and you shall receive!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Data Graham posted:

Leland's jacket has the red room zigzag pattern, haha.

Also I blinked audibly at the hint that super strength Nadine is already a thing (the rower machine).

This is particularly fascinating since there is no way you would have been able to see that detail on TV back in the day. Reminds me of that anecdote they tell in Room to Dream of Lynch placing dust bunnies under the radiator while filming Eraserhead, even though the camera would never film them.

Rageaholic posted:

Ask and you shall receive!

These are wonderful. Thank you!

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Just tried out Deadly Premonition from suggestions of the thread and it's pretty bad/great. It's so on the nose with the Twin Peaks references, I mean the chain link fences are even Chevron patterns haha.

Really hoping 2 continues the references as it's probably the closest to an actual twin peaks game.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6N-YmGuiGw

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah, if y'all like Fischler check out the Happy! show on netflix/syfy

your boy is gets to go wild

https://i.imgur.com/jPBUvt5.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/z4wOL7W.gifv

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy! is such a weird rear end show. Not in a Lynchian way so much, but yeah, poo poo's wild.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Everyone in Happy! gives it 110% whenever they're on screen but even then Fischler definitely stands out. It really isn't a Lynchian show at all but it's also like nothing else on TV.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Edit, dammit wrong thread sorry guys - great thread btw

Monstaland fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 12, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I. uh

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Think we're gonna have to go for Evil Dad on this one.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Yeah, that is relevant to Twin Peaks,
Related to the game discussion before: I played Trüberbrook and it is... bad?
  • Voice acting in German is bad. But, it is a German game?
  • Graphical errors and glitches are common.
  • There are some Twin Peaks references, like a voice recorder the main character uses, but it is just the humor. It feels more like Monkey Island than anything.
  • It is short, like 4 hours.

I am close to the end, but I am bored. I really don't feel like finishing it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Klaaz posted:

I am about to start a guild for daddies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VIfPyBaLFY&t=10s

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

AstroWhale posted:

[*] Voice acting in German is bad.
A universal truth, and in no way related to where the game originates. I'm being quite serious.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

AstroWhale posted:

Yeah, that is relevant to Twin Peaks,
Related to the game discussion before: I played Trüberbrook and it is... bad?
  • Voice acting in German is bad. But, it is a German game?
  • Graphical errors and glitches are common.
  • There are some Twin Peaks references, like a voice recorder the main character uses, but it is just the humor. It feels more like Monkey Island than anything.
  • It is short, like 4 hours.

I am close to the end, but I am bored. I really don't feel like finishing it.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it even slightly. The game's pretty short, yeah. Probably should have mentioned that.

I think they should have put more effort into having optional dialogue with the characters. It's a bit hard to get invested in the town's fate when you don't really like them. Particularly Gretchen seems very underdeveloped. The lunch scenes in Deadly Premonition are some of my favourite bits of that game. They make everyone much more likeable.

Some of the jokes are definitely Twin Peaks-inspired, but I also thought the allusions to crappy sci-fi movies (Raumpatrouille Orion, presumably) that parallel the plot were a bit reminiscent of it. Particularly the tagline of that show: "Let us accompany Orion and its crew on their patrol along the edge of infinity." kind of plays into the whole dimensional portal (and losing yourself in space) thing. There is also a band playing a song that's reflective of the plot, which is very Twin Peaks.

My Lovely Horse posted:

A universal truth, and in no way related to where the game originates. I'm being quite serious.

The German dub of Twin Peaks is actually pretty good, imo. One unfortunate aspect of the translation is that they turn "lodge" into "cabin" (because lodge doesn't work that way in German), robbing it of its association with secret societies. That really doesn't have anything to do with the voice acting, though.

And More fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 12, 2019

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Don't they say "Loge" in the dub? Also imagine not seeing the original Japanese dub :smugdog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhtDHiNccow

One game has been missing from the discussion: Life Is Strange.
And I didn't finish Trüberbrook, since I managed to softlock it in the last(?) scene on the Switch, and I just don't care.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AstroWhale posted:

Don't they say "Loge" in the dub? Also imagine not seeing the original Japanese dub :smugdog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhtDHiNccow

One game has been missing from the discussion: Life Is Strange.
And I didn't finish Trüberbrook, since I managed to softlock it in the last(?) scene on the Switch, and I just don't care.

"HELLLOOOOOOOO!!!!" is as perfect in Japanese as it is in English :vince:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

drat I wouldn't want to watch the whole thing in Japanese but I do want to see every single scene with Gordon and Dougie, and probably also Albert besmirching the memory of Gene Kelly.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

AstroWhale posted:

Don't they say "Loge" in the dub?

Nah, they say "Hütte". It sounds kinda goofy.

This trailer made me realise that I've never actually seen a proper trailer for the Return. The moments they picked to go along with the Twin Peaks theme are very strange, like Dougie's head popping. :confused:

And More fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 13, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw Flying Lotus last night and David Lynch opened the show with his Fire Is Coming speech. He also played his Twin Peaks theme remix!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Every time I've watched Twin Peaks over the years, I burned out 2-3 episodes after the conclusion of Laura's storyline. I recently started a rewatch and told myself I'd power through this time. Man... I don't think I've ever seen a show drop off in quality so fast. Things definitely picked up again once Annie came to town, and of course the finale is a great return to form. The chart in the OP is very accurate. Not to get into the whole skipping episodes debate, but you guys might want to consider watching 2 episodes per week once you get there.

I will say I actually like Windom Earle's character and gimmick. It makes little sense to shove him into this show though. We just spent 17 episodes mourning the loss of one life, and suddenly there's a serial killer producing bodies every other episode and nobody in the police or FBI seems to care much. It's such a departure from what made the show great.

With that said, I'm looking forward to watching FWWM again and then Season 3.

Rageaholic posted:

I saw Flying Lotus last night and David Lynch opened the show with his Fire Is Coming speech. He also played his Twin Peaks theme remix!
That's awesome!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

that rules, where did you see him?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

romanowski posted:

that rules, where did you see him?
New Orleans!

(I should probably clarify: it was just part of the visuals, not Lynch in person. But it was his face on screen and it was a dope way to open a show.)

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Rageaholic posted:

New Orleans!

(I should probably clarify: it was just part of the visuals, not Lynch in person. But it was his face on screen and it was a dope way to open a show.)

Nice!

My band also takes a lot of inspiration from David Lynch, and when we played in Brooklyn, I noticed a guy in the crowd wearing a The Nine Inch Nails shirt with a bunch of roadhouse imagery all over it, and excitedly pointed him out to my guitarist.

Turns out it was Dieselboy, who's also a huge Lynch fan, and he came back to our Airbnb to chill afterward. Super nice guy!

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Nice!

My band also takes a lot of inspiration from David Lynch, and when we played in Brooklyn, I noticed a guy in the crowd wearing a The Nine Inch Nails shirt with a bunch of roadhouse imagery all over it, and excitedly pointed him out to my guitarist.

Turns out it was Dieselboy, who's also a huge Lynch fan, and he came back to our Airbnb to chill afterward. Super nice guy!

That's pretty dope.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Okay I'm joining the rewatch tonight. What episode are we on? I'll have to catch up this evening before the live watch.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

mdemone posted:

Okay I'm joining the rewatch tonight. What episode are we on? I'll have to catch up this evening before the live watch.

"Rest in Pain," S1E4, or E3 if you're watching on Blu-ray.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WYpA__s5qo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

No more Lynch directed episodes for a few weeks. He comes back in season 2 episode 1.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Maple syrup..............collides with ham!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Daaaaamn Harry

e: The first Invitation to Love!

e2: And here's Maddy too

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 15, 2019

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Ducks :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bobby is Jesus

e: And he's gonna turn it UP SIDE DOWN!!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 15, 2019