Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm reading Master and Commander, and of course a lot of the book revolves around HMS Sophie's guns. Her main battery are 4 pounders. This seems almost...uselessly small to me? Contemporary ships of the line had a mix of 18 and 36 pounders, and even land-based guns during the Civil War were most commonly 12 pounders.

Was a 4 pound gun of any real use during that era?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

*sniffs the air* "alkie sweat, meat farts, and dick cheese, our boys must be right behind that hill!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bewbies posted:

I'm reading Master and Commander, and of course a lot of the book revolves around HMS Sophie's guns. Her main battery are 4 pounders. This seems almost...uselessly small to me? Contemporary ships of the line had a mix of 18 and 36 pounders, and even land-based guns during the Civil War were most commonly 12 pounders.

Sophie is based on HMS Speedy iirc so yes if you use guile and false flags to trick yourself into point blank range of your enemy. Cochrane I believe said in his autobiography that the four-pounders were just slightly better than a blunderbuss.

"Species of gun little larger than a blunderbuss" is the exact quote

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 13, 2019

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

Also it was Tycho Brahé who had the golden nose IIRC.

Justinian II definitely had a gold nose. IIRC the theory of the time was that since man is a copy of God, as God's representative on Earth the emperor has to be a whole physical specimen so after he was deposed the new regime cut off his nose which should in theory have kept him from becoming emperor again.

After he managed to make it back to power through a saga that allegedly included him personally ambushing some assassins sent to kill him and basically daring God to drown him while in a boat, future deposed emperors were blinded instead.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bewbies posted:

4 pound grasshopper guns were arguably useful as field artillery

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I can picture those things wrecking havoc on the drawn out supply lines of the French in Spain's terrain in the right hands of experienced Spanish soldiers or Guerilla fighters now.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Elyv posted:

Justinian II definitely had a gold nose. IIRC the theory of the time was that since man is a copy of God, as God's representative on Earth the emperor has to be a whole physical specimen so after he was deposed the new regime cut off his nose which should in theory have kept him from becoming emperor again.

After he managed to make it back to power through a saga that allegedly included him personally ambushing some assassins sent to kill him and basically daring God to drown him while in a boat, future deposed emperors were blinded instead.

Is this related to why I can blind my worthless son in the Byzantine Empire 769 start to take him out of succession (I usually also castrate him and oubliette him so he dies and I can marry off Irene to either the second or third son who are usually less-useless)?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GUNS posted:

oh god you opened a :can:

in my opinion they don't drill, the new guys just take years to be acculturated into the habitus of being a professional soldier and they learn gradually from the more experienced people. in other peoples' opinion, drill began at around the turn of the century with people like Moritz of Nassau or Johann Jacobi von Wallhausen. For what that would have looked and felt like...can you read german?

hold on, do you mean "what would their maneuver on the field have looked, sounded, felt, and smelled like"? or "how do they practice"

All of the above, please be as detailed and verbose as you feel is appropriate and if it means multiple posts in a row I'm happy with that.

But also I meant the Moritz of Nassau or Wallhausen stuff too.

Do you have scans of landsknecht field manuals? I bet those would own.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Schadenboner posted:

Is this related to why I can blind my worthless son in the Byzantine Empire 769 start to take him out of succession (I usually also castrate him and oubliette him so he dies and I can marry off Irene to either the second or third son who are usually less-useless)?

Yes. Also, harsh strat.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ulmont posted:

Yes. Also, harsh strat.

I must eat the malus that Second Rome might have a ruler worthy of dat purp.

:smuggo:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 13, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ulmont posted:

Yes. Also, harsh strat.

Typical of the Greek Byzantines

https://twitter.com/RowanKaiser/status/963708340965490688

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Irene of Athens, not Irene of Khazaria, obvs? :shudder:

E: If you can swing it, he-who-would-have-been-Leo IV actually makes a p.deece steward (or one of the council members, it's been a really long time since I've played and I forget) but either his two younger brothers are legitimately better at being Basileus. If you want to keep him around you have to be able to get the son castrated-but-alive, the father dead (because otherwise the son will just plot against him, the -100 "Castrated Me" penalty is non-expiring), and one of the younger brothers on the throne (E2: and they're like 12 and 6 so it's a decently long regency especially since it's right at the start of the game) and it's generally not worth it especially since Constantine V is both very highly statted and he lives an ungodly long time (must be all that icon-breaking?) so getting rid of him early is a waste, and Irene is really useful at producing high quality offspring (and is also long-lived) so having her married to the nutless wonder is a waste. Usually easier to just off him (and to do so before he impregnates Irene which would set up a PITA succession thing)? :shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 13, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

The Iron Rose posted:

On the contrary. It's a long book but you should really read The Better Angels of our Nature by Steven Pinker. The world today is the safest, most just, most human rights friendly and war free that we have ever known as a species. While we obviously have our problems of the day, millions and millions of people aren't dying in stupid wars for them at anywhere near the same rates we've used to. Violence and rape and crime of all sorts has dropped precipitously. This is the best planet Earth has ever been! And with luck it'll keep on getting better.

Also it was Tycho Brahé who had the golden nose IIRC.

Pinker's full of poo poo.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Big Epstein Fan Pinker

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Tank destroyers are back, baby ~~awoooo~~

https://twitter.com/UKDefJournal/status/1172570100647510016?s=19

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

If you want to keep him around you have to be able to get the son castrated-but-alive, the father dead (because otherwise the son will just plot against him, the -100 "Castrated Me" penalty is non-expiring)

I mean no poo poo I wouldn't forgive and forget either :shobon:

Edit: you can't fool me, that's an LRM carrier

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Going by damage output it's clearly an SRM carrier.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Is it an All New Doctrinal Vehicle or is it meant to be Swingfire Mark II?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's significantly different. Swingfire is a SACLOS missile. Brimstone is fire-and-forget and will be fired indirectly, possibly with the aid of UAV spotting though not required.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brimstone is a good name for a missile

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

and will be fired indirectly, possibly with the aid of UAV spotting though not required.

Like I said, LRM not SRM :colbert:

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's significantly different. Swingfire is a SACLOS missile. Brimstone is fire-and-forget and will be fired indirectly, possibly with the aid of UAV spotting though not required.
Swingfire was ACLOS in its later variant and could be fired indirectlyish because you could dismount the firing control and hide in a bush, then shoot the missile over a ridgeline or a wall using its incredible manoeuvrability. Regardless, the question is one of doctrinal role, whether it's intended to provide extra firepower to infantry and reconnaissance formations as a replacement for FV438 Swingfire and FV102 Striker or whether it's part of a new doctrinal concept. The answer to that question is that it's for Poland, not the UK, so it's a replacement for Szturm-S at best.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
so's your source. Also that article is terrible. It blames the US for the Rwandan Genocide, for God's sake. It ignores that the USSR overthrew its own client state in Afghanistan. It ignores all expansionism by the USSR or China. It downplays the genocide in the former Yugoslavia.

also even this article proves my original point, which was that 1946-2001 was also violent and terrible, and that right now is better than any of it

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 13, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Big Epstein Fan Pinker
you're better than this

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
We've had this argument last thread, seems pointless to repeat it.

EDIT: Like if people *really* wanna talk about this, I for one would be more interested in hearing what people would otherwise propose as a lost global golden age. Then we can actually talk about history.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 13, 2019

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Fangz posted:

We've had this argument last thread, seems pointless to repeat it.

EDIT: Like if people *really* wanna talk about this, I for one would be more interested in hearing what people would otherwise propose as a lost global golden age. Then we can actually talk about history.

The Age of the Tank Destroyer was the true golden age.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
isn't globalresearch the antivaxx-hawking site?

edit: okay, no, they just publish a lot of anti-establishment stuff and i was just familiar with them from some really odious vaccine takes that got passed around recently in california, my bad

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 13, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you’re a white heterosexual cis male there’s an argument for ~1871 - 1913.

Edit: also specific edge cases involving people who weren’t discriminated against as badly in specific cultural/historical contexts. But those are cherry picking some specific cultural differences across societies and time rather than looking at the general state of things.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you’re a white heterosexual cis male there’s an argument for ~1871 - 1913.

This dies in 1914 though.

(1917 for the latecomers, 1919 for the people who couldn't be there in person)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Like, if I was a trans male (maybe intersex) I’d probably prefer to be a [url= https://allthatsinteresting.com/casimir-pulaski]18th century polish aristocrat from an apparently tolerant, privileged, and well connected family[/url] than a poor POC of similar identity today.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You could have chosen any number of critical rebuttals of Pinker's arguments published in any number of completely respectable newspapers and academic publications, so why this poo poo? Just go through R. Brian Ferguson's research or something, gently caress.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

bewbies posted:

The 4 pound gun weighed only a bit more than a 24 pound carronade, but had a much better range than carronades, so the Speedy class ships could have harassed merchant ships armed only with carronades. And they were built for speed so they could have escaped most of their enemies.

I read the Wikipedia article for HMS Speedy, and found out that Napoleon sold her to the Papal Navy! Pity that O'Brien didn't put that in the book :haw:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Siivola posted:

You could have chosen any number of critical rebuttals of Pinker's arguments published in any number of completely respectable newspapers and academic publications, so why this poo poo? Just go through R. Brian Ferguson's research or something, gently caress.

Yeah, that one has so much baggage that it feels like the baggage is the point.

Which of the articles in your link would be better, Siivola?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

ChubbyChecker posted:

I read the Wikipedia article for HMS Speedy, and found out that Napoleon sold her to the Papal Navy! Pity that O'Brien didn't put that in the book :haw:
Makes sense, after fighting a 32-gun xebec-frigate and then getting captured you'd expect her to be quite holy.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FrangibleCover posted:

Makes sense, after fighting a 32-gun xebec-frigate and then getting captured you'd expect her to be quite holy.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Which of the articles in your link would be better, Siivola?
Oh, sorry, I left that part out. " Pinker's List: Exaggerating Prehistoric War Mortality" and "The Prehistory of War and Peace in Europe and the Near East" are two chapters published in the book War, Peace and Human Nature (ed. Douglas P. Fry, 2009) and directly address Better Angels.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

You're unironically citing global research in a history thread? They're a loving conspiracy rag.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Many people on these forums are alarmists who love to wallow in self pity and say that we're living in the "darkest timeline" etc., and some threads even have rules to keep them in check. But no, humanity is living its best time atm. Though of course there's always room for improvement.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Siivola posted:

Oh, sorry, I left that part out. " Pinker's List: Exaggerating Prehistoric War Mortality" and "The Prehistory of War and Peace in Europe and the Near East" are two chapters published in the book War, Peace and Human Nature (ed. Douglas P. Fry, 2009) and directly address Better Angels.

Eh, I'm skeptical of turning to prehistory to counter Pinker since that time period is the least relevant to what Pinker is talking about, and also the period we are most uncertain about in terms of what it was actually like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Fangz posted:

Eh, I'm skeptical of turning to prehistory to counter Pinker since that time period is the least relevant to what Pinker is talking about, and also the period we are most uncertain about in terms of what it was actually like.

And also if you're going to argue that things are better in prehistoric times than they are now that seems like a pretty hard row to hoe. I like missing out on a large number of deaths that are routinely and easily prevented today.