Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sickening posted:

Nope! They are Labeled (pots backup connections for emergency out of band management)

This is the DFW metro area. The land of every cell carrier know to mankind. Pots though.

That seems silly in 2019. He’s gotta be conflating analog lines off the voip system with pots. I have exactly one pots line that’s still in use that involves connectivity on the power grid to our power plant because the utility adamantly refuses to change anything. Even alarm systems and fire panels don’t require pots anymore and it’s increasingly not even an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Elevators? You still have to have pots lines for the emergency call number.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Theoretically won't a POTS line keep working in a blackout where cell or VOIP wouldn't?

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Most of our POTS orders come in for elevator systems and fire alarm panels.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Inspector_666 posted:

Theoretically won't a POTS line keep working in a blackout where cell or VOIP wouldn't?

In those type of blackouts, our network equipment out of band management are the least of our concerns.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

In those type of blackouts, our network equipment out of band management are the least of our concerns.

I mean, you'd figure that anything hooked up to the networking equipment would be down too but just in terms of what they could be planning for.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I haven't had a line installed in a few years, but our AT&T Managed routers always came with an old school POTS line for OOB Management

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

devmd01 posted:

Elevators? You still have to have pots lines for the emergency call number.

Rules vary by locale. Ours just has to work for several hours (don't remember the exact number but we just gave the elevator guys what they needed) in the event of building power loss and it's in a place where we could just easily add it to the building generator. As long as we fulfill that requirement and someone picks up whenever the code guy stops in to test the call button then it's all good. Can also get little battery back up cell cards for them too if that's allowed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Speaking of elevator lines and alarm panels...
I just checked our Flowroute account and i'm down to $1.20 what the gently caress? Looks like someone has been making some phone calls on our SiP phones, despite us deploying a whole new phone system.
I need that $$$ because I'm still using Asterisk to provide lines to our alarm panels and elevators temporarily, until I can deliver Analog PBX lines to them.

It appears that the person I asked to collect all the Grandstream phones did not complete the task and people have just been continuing to use them despite the fact that they now have a phone on our new PBX that actually works, (and the grandstreams no longer receive inbound calls). Some have even gone so far as to move the phones to secret locations like under desks locked offices in hopes of preventing IT from collecting them for whatever dumb reason.
I mean you literally have a working replacement phone on your desk. why would you steal our IP phones to squirrel them away in a closet to make phone calls?
I'm reluctant to just delete the configs because then Asterisk won't see them anymore and I won't know if they're still plugged in. At least not without providing a list of MAC's to our network engineer and hoping he has time to check for me.

Concerning POTS:
Most providers are dumping copper nowadays anyway so it really doesn't matter. POTS isn't really POTS anymore. It's only copper right up tot the DEMARC.
Yeah, your GPON Verizon ONT has a battery backup but let's be honest... how many people keep up with those battery backups let alone expect it to actually power the endpoint for any reasonable amount of time.
I've had bad experiences with VZ ONT's biting the dust when the power goes out because they had 4 things plugged into it depending on it for power.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean you literally have a working replacement phone on your desk. why would you steal our IP phones to squirrel them away in a closet to make phone calls?

They're probably using it to do something illicit, call family internationally, or cheating on their partners. You forgot about it and they had a bonus working phone for a while (months?).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wolrah posted:

See also: every single time someone uses "but how do you remember your IP addresses?" as an argument against IPv6.

Oh god drat

POTS chat: My Internet is provided via VDSL2 over a copper line, and our ISP (BT :britain:) is slowly moving people to VoIP delivered through their home gateway box. I now get no dial tone at all on my phone line, all the extension sockets in the house are dead, and I have three cordless HD voice handsets that let me make as many simultaneous calls as I have physical telephones. The quality is so much better, and even the number port was handled well - the new phones came alive for outbound calls a day before inbound moved over, and then the dial tone disappeared. Analogue voice has been dead in the business world for a while now, it's good to see the same thing happening for residential customers. It might be the kick that people need to realise that phone calls over IP networks aren't inferior or unreliable.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 18, 2019

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

klosterdev posted:

- How to subnet
- How to crimp
- How to punch
- Knowing what a gateway is
- How not to cause a broadcast storm

If your network is set up well the last one should not really be possible. There are a lot of built in protection mechanisms these days so unless you are just chaining netgears or being insanely dumb the worst thing that should happen is you block a port by plugging things in wrong.

If users can break your poo poo by looping through their phone then your setup is bad.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm being forced to attend a 2 day training session on Scaled Agile Framework for Enterprise. gently caress my goddamn life.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm being forced to attend a 2 day training session on Scaled Agile Framework for Enterprise. gently caress my goddamn life.

Last time I had to do something similar (idk why I got roped into it. im the basement dwelling infra guy who is only attached to Agile stuff on the periphery when they want a thing) we built legos on teams

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've never wanted to reach out into my screen and murder a png image before but my god you've changed me

Heffer
May 1, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Currently ServiceNow, but we can't get access to use that. We're in an RFP for a new ITSM product and so I don't know what the future product will be or its capabilities or my level of access to it. Access to the tool is a political problem that I may be able to solve on my own, but there's also a bit of chicken & egg problem where I don't know if I could do what I want in ServiceNow because I don't have access to try it, and I don't want to burn a bunch of energy to get access to it only to learn that it won't do what I want.

Are you using cloud based service now? There might be a dev/stage instance already set up that they'd be okay granting you rights to. We just switched to their cloud service and I only found out the dev instance existed by asking.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

needs to be in a powerpoint with some screen beans to capture a realistic feel.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a Swole-Agile Leadership chart?

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Nuclearmonkee posted:

needs to be in a powerpoint with some screen beans to capture a realistic feel.

You bastard.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Follow the Implementation Roadmap down the Architectural Runway on the Agile Release Train. Touchdown!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh god drat

POTS chat: My Internet is provided via VDSL2 over a copper line, and our ISP (BT :britain:) is slowly moving people to VoIP delivered through their home gateway box. I now get no dial tone at all on my phone line, all the extension sockets in the house are dead, and I have three cordless HD voice handsets that let me make as many simultaneous calls as I have physical telephones. The quality is so much better, and even the number port was handled well - the new phones came alive for outbound calls a day before inbound moved over, and then the dial tone disappeared. Analogue voice has been dead in the business world for a while now, it's good to see the same thing happening for residential customers. It might be the kick that people need to realise that phone calls over IP networks aren't inferior or unreliable.

Are you saying BT didn't gently caress it up by the numbers?

Time to send someone over, that needs to be unfixed ASAP.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
What is the the complete hard on there for using "lean" so often?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sickening posted:

You got time to lean you got time to clean.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

because we're a lean mean devops machine

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sickening posted:

"lean" means less people doing more work which gives management types a hardon

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Story point my dick you goddamn agile fucklords, I'm so mad I have to do this stupid "training"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I don't understand any of the Agile stuff.

What's the thing where they bid on projects?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Its missing one buzzword... Cloud.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

stevewm posted:

Its missing one buzzword... Cloud.

need to squeeze in cloud AI IoT

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

trigger word bingo

Nuclearmonkee posted:

"lean" means fewer people doing more work which gives management types a hardon

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wibla posted:

Are you saying BT didn't gently caress it up by the numbers?

Time to send someone over, that needs to be unfixed ASAP.

I was surprised as well, though they've apparently done 1500 number ports and only lost one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

incoherent posted:

They're probably using it to do something illicit, call family internationally, or cheating on their partners. You forgot about it and they had a bonus working phone for a while (months?).

Just a couple weeks, and only because they hid it when we swept the place for phones.

I should print out the CDR logs and hand them to their manager.
Should... but I know that nobody gives a gently caress.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Heffer posted:

Are you using cloud based service now? There might be a dev/stage instance already set up that they'd be okay granting you rights to. We just switched to their cloud service and I only found out the dev instance existed by asking.

We are, and we do have other environments, I guess it never occured to me to ask to get access to that, partly because I know how hard it would be to then get access to production. I may also wait and see how our ITSM RFP shakes out since this isn't exactly urgent right now and I don't want to put a bunch of work into a product we're going to ditch soon.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I was not surprised as well, though they've apparently done 1500 number ports and only successfully finished one.

FTFY.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

gently caress this image with a hammer. Why would you create this piece of poo poo for a presentation? Have you not heard of one slide one point?

I have so many questions and all of them would be punctuated with the impact of said hammer.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The more I look at that image... I realize I don't understand a single thing it is trying to illustrate..

WTF is it even for?! Its just a random jumbled mess of words.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

We are, and we do have other environments, I guess it never occured to me to ask to get access to that, partly because I know how hard it would be to then get access to production. I may also wait and see how our ITSM RFP shakes out since this isn't exactly urgent right now and I don't want to put a bunch of work into a product we're going to ditch soon.

That RFP is at least 18 months out from being generally available, so pick your poison.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

stevewm posted:

The more I look at that image... I realize I don't understand a single thing it is trying to illustrate..

It's simple, really KPIs are a derivative measurement of Epic/Enabler Value Streams, which are determined by a combination of the Kanban backlog and functionally-bumpered budgets. Those are described in your Mosaic Portfolio Canvas by Epic Owners and Key Architects. Your Portfolio Coordination autogenerates Programs from your Company of Peers, your pKPIs, and an ad-hoc CI/CD Pipeline.

Try to keep up, because this Agile Train only makes stops when a Management Team Metric determines one is necessary.

Your Agile Team will be responsible for Stories over an Epic. For example, recall the stories of how Sisyphus became king, hosed his niece, cheated death, and was punished by Zeus. Sisyphus Becomes King is a story, with a number of features and issue resolutions. For this example, let's say our agile team has a self-established bandwidth of 12 points a cycle. That means if the KPIs indicate the Sisyphus Epic should be complete in 4.3 cycles, the average story should be about 13 points. This is flexible, and will depend entirely on your Corporate Implementation Guiderails.

The Agile Management Masters have already identified several Mandatory Features for the Sisyphus Becomes King Story: Sisyphus Dons The Crown, Sisyphus Marries Merope, Sisyphus Violates Xenia, Sisyphus Promotes Sailing.

Sisyphus Dons the Crown would be a feature, with a team-adjudicated number of points attached to it. Since this is a Feature to a Story, and we know we have a budget of 13+/-2 points for the story, we can estimate that SDTC should be 2, 3, or 5 points. Oh, all features should be assigned point values hard-locked to the Fibonacci series.

Daily Scrum Standups will help ensure all Agile Team Mates are On Course, unblocked, and tracking points through the Kanban boards correctly.

Simple, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

stevewm posted:

Its scaling "agile" stuff up to an enterprise level.

Top layer is C-levels, middle layer is project manager types, bottom layer is work teams. Unless you're developing or provisioning new products, you're probably over in the sidebar System Team.

If you're thinking "how can processes adapted for tight feedback loops between developers and customers on rapid implementation cycles be used by C-levels who operate on quarterly/yearly cycles and have no connection to the end user?" then you're asking the right question.

Lean development is a pale echo of Lean manufacturing. Lean manufacturing came from Toyota's corporate principles that led them to success in the late 80s, early 90s. If your current Execs grew up as managers during that time period, they were probably indoctrinated with the fear that the Japanese are going to take over all our industries, and that we should copy all their processes to catch up. So they see "Lean" mentioned now, they see "Good Thing What Make Company Better", ignoring the fact that the Lean principles are targeted at manufacturing, and focus on improving performance, reducing waste, and removing defects. Not really a creative process at all.

Cross reference Six Sigma, which uses a lot more maths and charts and graphs, whereas Lean uses a lot of SOPs and flowcharts