Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Bren gun is a solid example actually, given that the usual procedure was for one dude to operate it while one or two others just wore a bandolier with four extra magazines in pouches on it for him. Other than just sticking near him to chuck him a magazine once in a while they were expected to use their rifles while he fired, unless doing some funky long range shite with the distance sights on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Arquinsiel posted:

This could be another "knee mortar" thing, where someone doesn't quite understand the logic behind a tool and fucks themselves up with it.

This just reminded me of something from the best part of three decades ago. My grandmother's gardener when I was a kid was telling me about his time in the second world war in [pacific] and that his [commanding officer/nco] won a [decoration] for firing a mortar off his foot due to [war story I don't remember].

Is firing a mortar braced against your body something that you could actually do in extremis, or was that a tall tale?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
That sounds like the army was handing out decorations just based on doing the most epic stunts. Drive a tank through a burning barn? Bronze star. Ride on top of the tank as it drives through that barn? Silver star.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mr Enderby posted:

This just reminded me of something from the best part of three decades ago. My grandmother's gardener when I was a kid was telling me about his time in the second world war in [pacific] and that his [commanding officer/nco] won a [decoration] for firing a mortar off his foot due to [war story I don't remember].

Is firing a mortar braced against your body something that you could actually do in extremis, or was that a tall tale?

There's no benefit in doing it vs just braced on the ground.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Somewhere on Tarawa in the mid forties a Japanese counter attack occurs on the edge of a US Marine observation post, bursting out a tent a grizzled barely shaved young officer desperately seizes something from a pile of captured weaponry stacked outside his tent.

Staring in wild confusion as the sounds of rifle and machine gun fired interrupted by the odd scream he look around. A pile of luggage trunks. Some overturned empty ammuntion crates. A knee high rock.

No. His body will have to do he thinks as he reaches for a shell.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mr Enderby posted:

good god no

An M224 throws a round that weighs a little less than four pounds a little more than 3 km. I don't have any idea how high they go or what the muzzle velocity is, but that is a lot of kinetic energy. I had to haul an 81mm mortar baseplate a significant distance exactly one (1) time and that is not an experience I ever want to repeat under any circumstance.

That said, modern light mortars do have a "handheld mode" but that just means using them without a tripod, you still have a baseplate that goes on the ground.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

SeanBeansShako posted:

Somewhere on Tarawa in the mid forties a Japanese counter attack occurs on the edge of a US Marine observation post, bursting out a tent a grizzled barely shaved young officer desperately seizes something from a pile of captured weaponry stacked outside his tent.

Staring in wild confusion as the sounds of rifle and machine gun fired interrupted by the odd scream he look around. A pile of luggage trunks. Some overturned empty ammuntion crates. A knee high rock.

No. His body will have to do he thinks as he reaches for a shell.

And how does you assessment of the plausibility shift if I tell you that the gardener, and therefore presumably the nco/officer, was from Glasgow.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Wounded self in combat is a decoration, the moral of the story was that you should game the system at every opportunity; soldiers, soldiers never change.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Fangz posted:

This is a pedantic as hell argument.

The original context is that supposedly light mortars are bad because "they are a waste of a crew served weapon". The implication of that statement is that any 'crew served' weapon is essentially equivalent in terms of the costs both literal and figurative. This is obviously untrue. A 88 mm and a bren gun are both 'crew served weapons'. They are not remotely the same. Contrarywise, the disposable MBT LAW rocket launcher is meant for one individual soldier, but that doesn't mean it's not big and cumbersome.

The very light mortars that weigh about 5 kg firing ammo that weighs 0.5 kg can be easily carried and fired by an individual soldier but WWII armies decide to typically use them with two soldiers... because it's no big deal to have one more guy help out with the reloading/sighting targets/taking fire orders via radio/carrying ammunition to improve the accuracy and rate of fire. Whether or not it's crew served has no bearing on the efficiency of a weapon system - indeed, the fact that a second soldier can help replace ammo belts and swap out hot barrels can be a *benefit*.

It's not warhammer or something where you get a finite number of heavy weapons team slots and can pick which weapon each get. If you are concerned with the use of manpower, the real question is: "Are two guys chucking 25 explosive (or smoke) 50mm shells per minute better than just having two more guys with bolt action rifles?" Well the armies that used these weapons sure as hell seemed to think so and I'm inclined to agree.

No, you mischaracterized my argument. My argument is that light mortars were an awkward compromise- they were bulky as gently caress with their ammo for an indirect fire weapon with bad range and meager firepower. The 2-in mortar had almost no value as an HE weapon, and no value at all as an indirect fire weapon. They were issued as singletons in platoon HQ elements, in the british army. The Germans and Soviets had light mortars at the beginning of the war and largely found them worthless. The role and need was there, but light mortars were a terrible solution for it.

The US 60mm mortar was used similarly to 81mm mortars in separate platoons. It was probably the best performer but also the heaviest. The Chinese actually liked using these over open sights, despite their bulk, probably due to a lack of other heavy weapons.

Lo and behold, we have far better ways nowadays to chuck grenades about the size of the 2-in mortar shell and you don't have to lug around a mortar for it.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Mr Enderby posted:

And how does you assessment of the plausibility shift if I tell you that the gardener, and therefore presumably the nco/officer, was from Glasgow.
In that case it's very plausible up until the story ending "And that's why I won a DSO." rather than "And that's why I walk with a limp."

This one does keep on turning up though, from the nickname of the Japanese "Knee Mortar" (actually try to fire a Type 89 Grenade Discharger from your knee and go home with your femur in a bag) to a story I once read of a Portuguese soldier in the Ultramar War direct-firing his FBP M/986 from a position braced against his stomach, presumably using his rock-hard abs. I'm starting to believe it's doable in certain circumstances just because if it wasn't, why would people keep claiming it is?

Mortar gaslighting.

Panzeh posted:

No, you mischaracterized my argument. My argument is that light mortars were an awkward compromise- they were bulky as gently caress with their ammo for an indirect fire weapon with bad range and meager firepower. The 2-in mortar had almost no value as an HE weapon, and no value at all as an indirect fire weapon. They were issued as singletons in platoon HQ elements, in the british army. The Germans and Soviets had light mortars at the beginning of the war and largely found them worthless. The role and need was there, but light mortars were a terrible solution for it.

The US 60mm mortar was used similarly to 81mm mortars in separate platoons. It was probably the best performer but also the heaviest. The Chinese actually liked using these over open sights, despite their bulk, probably due to a lack of other heavy weapons.

Lo and behold, we have far better ways nowadays to chuck grenades about the size of the 2-in mortar shell and you don't have to lug around a mortar for it.
Support your position. You can keep claiming nobody liked light mortars until you are blue in the face but if they really are useless and there are better ways to do what they do, why do people keep buying them?

FrangibleCover fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 20, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SeanBeansShako posted:

No. His body will have to do he thinks as he reaches for an MRE

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bewbies posted:

good god no

An M224 throws a round that weighs a little less than four pounds a little more than 3 km. I don't have any idea how high they go or what the muzzle velocity is, but that is a lot of kinetic energy. I had to haul an 81mm mortar baseplate a significant distance exactly one (1) time and that is not an experience I ever want to repeat under any circumstance.

That said, modern light mortars do have a "handheld mode" but that just means using them without a tripod, you still have a baseplate that goes on the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKk8UH-jhrw

Now imagine that on your shin.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mr Enderby posted:

I'm amazed he didn't just bang the shell off his head to prime it and throw it at them then.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Well that I'm definitely going to disagree with, both in terms of the long-lasting success of the British 2-in mortar and the fact the commando mortar concept has seen enduring success.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

FrangibleCover posted:

In that case it's very plausible up until the story ending "And that's why I won a DSO." rather than "And that's why I walk with a limp."

I'm actually vaguely remembering the punchline was something like "broke his foot, missed the enemy, and won a DSO" so probably it was only ever meant as a joke.

Turns out half-remembered anecdotes told to you as a small child by garrulous old Scottish men are not always reliably historical sources.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr Enderby posted:

I am amazed he didn't just use it like a club.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Panzeh posted:

Go look at the videos I posted earlier in the thread. The effective light mortars were extremely light and portable and easy to use and build. The Japanese had one per squad.

The Germans abandoned theirs because their 'light mortars' weighed 3x as much as the knee mortar with the same firepower. Not all light mortars are the same. Trying to extrapolate out from their bad experience would be like saying that machine guns were useless because the Japanese hated their unreliable hopper fed type 96s.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 20, 2019

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mr Enderby posted:

I will tell you to stop ruining my crazy soldier man fanfiction good sir.

If Terminal Lance taught me anything about the US Marine Corp is is thus, he masturbated bored after this in the latrine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think Panzeh is getting confused by abominations like the granatwerfer 36, which was truly stupid: it required a 3 man team to operate and was basically a real mortar, but smaller. We all agree that these were stupid.

However, stuff like the Granatnik wz. 36, the 50mm m37 and the Type 89 which had a fixed barrel and used dial-a-range systems through chamber sizing or vent sizing on the round were actually useful, are very light (between 4 and 8 kilos), and do not require a crew to operate. It's more like a gunner/assistant model, where the assistant can provide support to increase the rate of fire but is not required for the operation of the weapon. These effectively give an infantry platoon some indirect fire capabilities at about 100-300 meters without burdening them with too much equipment and without taking away riflemen from the platoon strength. These were generally useful! They didn't really fall too far out of favor, they were just replaced by stuff like the M79 and the M203.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

SeanBeansShako posted:

he masturbated bored after this in the latrine.

Too soon for a new thread title?

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
The Brits put them in bren carriers because squaddies were lazy. In certain circumstances sure you pack animal that poo poo like in the fart east (hey autocorrect, I'm gonna leave that in).

If they were that awful why didn't the armed forces drop it in favour of rifle grenades? Simple if you were to laager up you want something to chuck a variety of rounds to suit your needs, you keep forgetting about smoke, illumination rounds and of course he to keep people pinned so you can do fire and manovre a lot more effectively when your pinned down in a French field by an mg42 team.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I, for one, am shocked that people overlook smoke and illumination rounds after I've posted many dozens of types used throughout world war 2.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tiny mortars are horseshit. Don't use them.

I don't see a reason to extend on that, but I have time so:

1) They lack punch. If you are firing HE, they don't really do anything. If you are firing smoke, it won't last long.

2) The previous point is made worse by the inaccuracy of the things, especially if there is any sort of wind and turbulence then the high trajectory and light weight of the munition means they will scatter all around so even if you had all your measurements correct (which you never have) you will never hit the target.

3) Despite being marketed as 'light', they still weigh enough that a light mortar crew is not going to stay together with riflemen without the dude/duderellas with the mortar and the dude/duderellas with the shells winding down.

4) Because you still want them to have some mobility and you don't want a big crew and you still want them to carry rifles instead of focusing on mortaring all day long, you have to limit the amount of shells they bring to a fight. And because the light mortar lacks punch, this cumulates their suckiness. First couple of shells are wasted in ranging and then a few minutes of heated fire will run you out of ammo.

5) Carrying a bunch of illumination shells with you in the day time brings this number down even further. But if you don't bring those illumination shells with you to combat and are cut out of supply when the night falls, welp.

6) The weight is not a problem if you are mechanized, in which case you should bring along a real mortar.

7) Mountain infantry and other such special forces may benefit from having some sort of light portable indirect support, but they suck in general as a branch of arms. Don't fight in the Alps, just don't.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think Panzeh is getting confused by abominations like the granatwerfer 36, which was truly stupid: it required a 3 man team to operate and was basically a real mortar, but smaller. We all agree that these were stupid.

However, stuff like the Granatnik wz. 36, the 50mm m37 and the Type 89 which had a fixed barrel and used dial-a-range systems through chamber sizing or vent sizing on the round were actually useful, are very light (between 4 and 8 kilos), and do not require a crew to operate. It's more like a gunner/assistant model, where the assistant can provide support to increase the rate of fire but is not required for the operation of the weapon. These effectively give an infantry platoon some indirect fire capabilities at about 100-300 meters without burdening them with too much equipment and without taking away riflemen from the platoon strength. These were generally useful! They didn't really fall too far out of favor, they were just replaced by stuff like the M79 and the M203.

This is reasonable.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The US still has 60mm mortars, they’re a company-level asset

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't know if a 60 mm mortar counts as light but those things were absolutely indispensable in Afghanistan.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It doesn't even have a shovel.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

bewbies posted:

I don't know if a 60 mm mortar counts as light but those things were absolutely indispensable in Afghanistan.
Yes, this is precisely the family of weapon we're talking about. On one side we have people making nebulous claims about how they're bad at everything. On the other side we have armies buying truckloads of the things because they're so good.

Nenonen posted:

1) They lack punch. If you are firing HE, they don't really do anything. If you are firing smoke, it won't last long.
Better than grenade launchers.

quote:

2) The previous point is made worse by the inaccuracy of the things, especially if there is any sort of wind and turbulence then the high trajectory and light weight of the munition means they will scatter all around so even if you had all your measurements correct (which you never have) you will never hit the target.

quote:

3) Despite being marketed as 'light', they still weigh enough that a light mortar crew is not going to stay together with riflemen without the dude/duderellas with the mortar and the dude/duderellas with the shells winding down.
RK 62 - 3.5kg empty
PKM - 7.5kg empty
Average patrol mortar - 5kg empty
If your mortars can't keep up, neither can your machine guns.

quote:

4) Because you still want them to have some mobility and you don't want a big crew and you still want them to carry rifles instead of focusing on mortaring all day long, you have to limit the amount of shells they bring to a fight. And because the light mortar lacks punch, this cumulates their suckiness. First couple of shells are wasted in ranging and then a few minutes of heated fire will run you out of ammo.
The way the Parachute Regiment did it in the 40s was that every single person in the platoon jumped with a couple of mortar bombs, which gives you plenty. Even if you cut that down to account for guys carrying heavier weapons you can still man pack plenty of bombs, or use a vehicle to carry ammunition even in units that don't have enough vehicles for everyone like most light infantry units.

quote:

5) Carrying a bunch of illumination shells with you in the day time brings this number down even further. But if you don't bring those illumination shells with you to combat and are cut out of supply when the night falls, welp.
Welp I guess you pull out your prolific night vision goggles, night vision scopes, thermal imagers and assorted magic that any military worth a drat has at the squad level now. Do you want to tell me that the Carl Gustav is bad because it can launch illumination rounds and if it doesn't then then opportunity cost of not doing it makes it suck?

quote:

6) The weight is not a problem if you are mechanized, in which case you should bring along a real mortar.

7) Mountain infantry and other such special forces may benefit from having some sort of light portable indirect support, but they suck in general as a branch of arms. Don't fight in the Alps, just don't.
I'm not going to explain to a Finn what Light Infantry is useful for. Personally I don't like light infantry much but I won't pretend they don't exist.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Won't somebody complain about the brixia!?
:reddit:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

spiky butthole posted:

The Brits put them in bren carriers because squaddies were lazy. In certain circumstances sure you pack animal that poo poo like in the fart east (hey autocorrect, I'm gonna leave that in).

Also, if you're using a bren carrier to lug around plenty of ammunition for the thing you might as well put the mortar in it too.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Won't somebody complain about the brixia!?
:reddit:
I... I kind of like the Brixia. It's trying to be something really interesting and while it's failing quite badly it's heartening to see it try. It's the military equipment equivalent of a terrier with three legs sprinting into a wall.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

FrangibleCover posted:

Automatic grenade launchers - like the Mk-19 I mentioned earlier - are great. You can just walk them onto a target, whump, whump, whump, and suppress it into oblivion.

Of course, mine was in a turret on an AAV. It must be miserable for the grunts who have to carry them, but that's what you get for going in open contract.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FrangibleCover posted:

I... I kind of like the Brixia. It's trying to be something really interesting and while it's failing quite badly it's heartening to see it try. It's the military equipment equivalent of a terrier with three legs sprinting into a wall.

God Bless you

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

How about the interwar Italian side-mounted grenade launcher?

The big problem is it was connected to the trigger mechanism of the rifle, so you needed to swap the bolt between the rifle and the grenade launcher depending on which you wanted to fire. Still badass as hell.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

That sounds like the army was handing out decorations just based on doing the most epic stunts. Drive a tank through a burning barn? Bronze star. Ride on top of the tank as it drives through that barn? Silver star.

Drove a burning tank into a train and then the tank exploded and the train exploded? Gold star (posthumously).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

FrangibleCover posted:

RK 62 - 3.5kg empty
PKM - 7.5kg empty
Average patrol mortar - 5kg empty
If your mortars can't keep up, neither can your machine guns.

The man carrying the mortar is also carrying a rifle.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Cessna posted:

Automatic grenade launchers - like the Mk-19 I mentioned earlier - are great. You can just walk them onto a target, whump, whump, whump, and suppress it into oblivion.

Of course, mine was in a turret on an AAV. It must be miserable for the grunts who have to carry them, but that's what you get for going in open contract.

nobody loving humps a mk19. its something they make boots do at soi to make it even more misreable. the weapon system weighs over 100lbs.

mk19s and m2s are in weapons co and work with tows/javelins. 240s are in a rifle company.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nenonen posted:

The man carrying the mortar is also carrying a rifle.
Yes, which is why I quoted a weight for a rifle so that the comparison was fair. 8.5kg is not really a significantly greater amount of weight than 7.5kg and the PKM is bloody light for a GPMG. If I was being mean I'd have talked about the equally common 11.8kg FN MAG.

Cessna posted:

Oh yeah, they're great on vehicles but for infantry they're really heavy and if you want to complain about the way that light mortars chew through ammunition you've seen nothing yet. The Warsaw Pact had slightly lighter 30mm models that are probably the uppermost possible end of practically infantry portable HE chuckers even while being chauffeured around the battlefield by a personnel carrier. And they can't do smoke.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Were those only given to MPs at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

Were those only given to MPs at some point?

They've been pretty standard issue for any unit with trucks (which is a lot of different kinds of units) since forever. Usually two trucks in a platoon had mounts, one would get an M2, one a Mk 19.

Also one time some dumbass forgot to put the pin in a Mk 19 and I was riding in the mount in order to look cool as a second lieutenant and the thing fell out when we went over a bump and it pinned my hand down to the mount and there literally wasn't anything I could do about it until we stopped and someone heard me swearing and people came and lifted it up and my hand was broken and I was pissed. This is my "Mk 19 is horribly bulky and heavy" anecdote.