Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

duck monster posted:

Im currently wondering if I need to get off a sinking ship right now.

Our company is completely loving hijacked by a demented AWS engineer who's built this insane ball of complexity that seems to involve attempting to use EVERY SINGLE loving SERVICE in AWS. Lambdas up the wazoo, pipelines, poo poo NoSql database stuff for whom "can I get a report on...." must invariably be answered with a "No". Event busses, that idiotic Git repo that isnt compatible with anything. And stuff I could knock together in Rails and Postgress in a week gets blown out into 'This will take me six months" type things.. Even the slightest minor change request turns into a massive trauma of meetings and planning and ridiculous multi month gant charts. And all this for something that just forwards commands to IOT lightbulbs. Meanwhile investors are freaking out, tempers are fraying and everyone but him is copping hell, because he's the star recruit when everyone else are mere mortals.

NEED TO ESCAPE

This doesn't sound very agile, so that's a big red flag right there and suggests you should jump ship immediately to go somewhere sufficiently agile. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tensokuu posted:

Officially got the job offer today. :yotj: Better than what I am making now (though not by that much) but lets me get my foot in the door in IT and gives me a year or two of enterprise experience before I move on to something better.

I can do Tier I Help Desk for two years and not want to gouge my eyes out, right?

Right? :downs:

Congrats Tensokuu! Sorry to see you are leaving the U but I totally get it. We should grab a beer sometime, it's been a long while since I've met up with any local goons.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

duck monster posted:

NEED TO ESCAPE

Apply at a AWS Partner, tell your manager and sales team you know of a customer that needs a ton of help. Sell them back yourself as a consultant!

Then profit!

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Anybody have any general advice / words of encouragement for picking up the pieces after a layoff? I was happily plugging away as a devops engineer at a startup for almost two years and they had to shrink head count to stay funded, so I got the boot along with about 8 others (in a company of about 60). I'm working on lining up interviews but only have a month of severance to work with, which feels low.

Honestly I'm just feeling antsy because I know I'm not going to work tomorrow and I really liked my job.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Necronomicon posted:

Anybody have any general advice / words of encouragement for picking up the pieces after a layoff? I was happily plugging away as a devops engineer at a startup for almost two years and they had to shrink head count to stay funded, so I got the boot along with about 8 others (in a company of about 60). I'm working on lining up interviews but only have a month of severance to work with, which feels low.

Honestly I'm just feeling antsy because I know I'm not going to work tomorrow and I really liked my job.

Put kubernetes on your linkedin and set it to actively searching and then do 6 interviews a day. You'll have another job in less than a month

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does this require I know k8s or can I just repeat “pod containerize orchestrate node” in various orders until they hire me?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 30, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Do what everyone does when they need to claim to know a skill at the last minute - install it and play with it for a week while watching YouTube tutorials.

I mean, how hard can it be?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Necronomicon posted:

I think the fact you enjoy your work is probably going to show through on interviews, and that'll help you be more hire-able. You can probably tell by this entire subforum, let alone this particular thread, not everybody who is good at this job particularly enjoys it.
If you're laid off and your money situation isn't extremely desperate, I also recommend being choosy where you get hired on. If a particular workplace you interviewed for throws you an offer, investigate their office culture first. Use the window you have to ensure as best you can, landing somewhere you'll enjoy.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I did actually spend some time setting up a Kubernetes POC at that last job, but we had nowhere near enough resources in play for me to justify its continued use. This was about a year ago - does anyone know if k8s networking has gotten less convoluted since then?

In any case, I have two phone screens lined up for the next two days, along with about six or seven recruiter calls. I'm telling myself that the previous company was a sinking ship and I'm going to come out of this with a raise (and maybe a pseudo-severance bonus if I can get a job in less than a month).

One other thing - and I can never tell if this differentiates me in a good or a bad way - I got into this position in a loopy way. I was an English major in undergrad, started working tech support in grad school (as an information science student), and taught myself everything I knew on the job as I slowly morphed into a sysadmin. So I've maybe got more soft skills than the average bear, but because I'm self-taught there are occasional bits of fundamentals that can give me trouble.

Necronomicon fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 30, 2019

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Necronomicon posted:

I did actually spend some time setting up a Kubernetes POC at that last job, but we had nowhere near enough resources in play for me to justify its continued use. This was about a year ago - does anyone know if k8s networking has gotten less convoluted since then?

In any case, I have two phone screens lined up for the next two days, along with about six or seven recruiter calls. I'm telling myself that the previous company was a sinking ship and I'm going to come out of this with a raise (and maybe a pseudo-severance bonus if I can get a job in less than a month).

One other thing - and I can never tell if this differentiates me in a good or a bad way - I got into this position in a loopy way. I was an English major in undergrad, started working tech support in grad school (as an information science student), and taught myself everything I knew on the job as I slowly morphed into a sysadmin. So I've maybe got more soft skills than the average bear, but because I'm self-taught there are occasional bits of fundamentals that can give me trouble.

If its any comfort, I'm on a devops team where no one went to college for this poo poo. My team lead was a line cook who went to culinary school and got into being a sysadmin when he decided he didn't want to do that anymore. The most senior person on our team and resident expert on k8s was a music major who worked as a windows sysadmin to make ends meet before transitioning to devops. We have a mechanical engineer and a history major. The good news is that in software there are a lot of non-traditional backgrounds and that's probably not a mark against you except in some very corporate environments.

EDIT: And I have the same issue with fundamentals all the time, its why the stupid 'can you reverse a red-black tree' questions drive me nuts.

EDIT2: I thought i was in the oldie programming thread, but my point stands, having an unique background is not a handicap

TheCog fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 30, 2019

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also, get started on your unemployment claim now. It usually takes a few weeks to process but you get back pay, at least in my state. It’s insurance that you paid in to the government every paycheck while you were employed for exactly this reason.

Assuming you’re in the US, don’t know how it works elsewhere.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

jaegerx posted:

I let my cousin move in with me. He’s a scrum master. He tried to apply it to house chores. I regret this

Did your cousin claim his role in doing chores, was specifically to bring in a corporate management style for getting chores done, then expect everyone else to do them while they generated most of the disorder and waste in the house? That's true American corporate management right there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Having soft skills is one of the most important things for progressing past mid-tier jobs. It doesn't seem like it when you're just getting started and competing with shut-ins for jobs, but when you actually have to work with non-nerds it's huge.

As for having an English degree, I don't have a degree at all. As long as you can do the things on your resume, nobody worth working for cares.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
:yotj:

Got an offer letter yesterday and looks like I am moving to more of an Cloud Admin role after many, many years in support. I will so happy to not be the guy that has the figure it all out or worry about survey results and customer satisfaction.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

TheCog posted:

If its any comfort, I'm on a devops team where no one went to college for this poo poo. My team lead was a line cook who went to culinary school and got into being a sysadmin when he decided he didn't want to do that anymore. The most senior person on our team and resident expert on k8s was a music major who worked as a windows sysadmin to make ends meet before transitioning to devops. We have a mechanical engineer and a history major. The good news is that in software there are a lot of non-traditional backgrounds and that's probably not a mark against you except in some very corporate environments.

One of my favorite things to tell people who ask me what I do is mention some prior employment with Amazon. They ask me what part of the company I was in, and I respond "the warehouse". It's certainly been a long, strange road to get here.

Edit: For what it's worth, I've already lined up four more phone screens for this week with more to come, so I'm feeling pretty jazzed about my chances. There are some companies in the I couldn't care less about, and I told one recruiter to gently caress right off with military poo poo, but I'm genuinely excited about one or two of them.

Necronomicon fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 30, 2019

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Apply at a AWS Partner, tell your manager and sales team you know of a customer that needs a ton of help. Sell them back yourself as a consultant!

Then profit!

I just don't get whats wrong with a good old fashion lunix vhost a postgres db and battletested apps that don't happen to be written in favorite hipster buzzwork of the week :/ Maybe I'm getting too old for this poo poo, and need to retire but will probably get killed in a shootout 3 days before my last day on patrol leaving the hot headed new recruit to avenge my death despite the objections of the station sergent about his unorthodox ways

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

There are some solid reasons to build things in an architecture that revolves around lambda. I wouldn't categorize Lambda as flavor of the week anymore, it's an extremely useful service and while you can take it too far (which it sounds like your coworker is doing), in an AWS environment that's usually going to be the default approach compared to spinning up a rails thing. It definitely is for me, anyway. CloudWatch events and buses are also fantastic services that are difficult to justify trying to replicate in rails, IMO.

Actually using, or trying to use, the aws git thing though is hilarious. I would not trust anyone who was pushing for that. Same thing with opsworks, code deploy, everything in systems manager except for parameters, etc. There are a bunch of services out there where if you use them instead of the superior external technology I assume it's because you got the entry level certificate that just involves reading the marketing materials or whatever.

Necronomicon posted:

One other thing - and I can never tell if this differentiates me in a good or a bad way - I got into this position in a loopy way.

That's normal in my experience, I don't have a high school diploma myself, the only other field I've worked in that has a higher percentage of line cooks has been actual food service. If it makes you feel any better, IMO the only valuable fundamentals you're missing out on are fundamentals that everyone is missing out on because they only really exist in a widespread way inside regulated environments or other engineering disciplines were "system" doesn't mean "a computer or computers".

One example of this that has always stuck with me is a talk by Jeff Smith at DevOps Days Chicago 2015 called "Brainstorming Failure" where he goes into a process that revolves around using Failure Mode and Effects Analysis as a checklist item for deploying a new service. Another sentence from some random thing I read, and forgot the name of, is basically about how when you build a system you seek to minimize dependencies period, but especially volatile dependencies.

I've only worked a single job where we even had a "seek to maximize these good things" guide for reviewing system architectures or feature specifications, otherwise (and especially at my current employer) the design review phase is just people scanning for pet peeves, noting instances of those pet peeves, and then the submitting team ignoring them and moving forward with their proposal anyway.

When you mix software engineers, especially inexperienced software engineers, into the picture it can get a lot worse. I've seen internal tools that take a software engineering best practice (single responsibility principle) and abstract it out to some attempted axiom like "there should be only one way to run commands on a compute node" and use that reasoning to intentionally create single points of failure. It's "clean" because there is one answer to the question "how do I do thing x, on node y?" but when the tool breaks we can't use the tool to fix the tool and suddenly we're RDPing into 80 servers to repair a config file. The solution to this problem is naturally to write more code, make the tool more robust, fault tolerant, and self healing, instead of just backing up for a minute and considering that operating fleets of computers might be different from writing a java class, and that maybe having redundant mechanisms for controlling nodes is a good idea.

I think this happens pretty much everywhere, and are really the only systems engineering fundamentals that matter. For other stuff you can totally just google "what is a srv record" for the rest of your career and nobody will care.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The tech is easy, anyone can learn the tech. It's the ability to think and put it all together that's valuable.

It's honestly shocking how little tech knowledge is stored in my brain, it's all just pointers to where I can find that information somewhere else (old code I've written, documentation, Google, etc)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

FISHMANPET posted:

The tech is easy, anyone can learn the tech. It's the ability to think and put it all together that's valuable.

It's honestly shocking how little tech knowledge is stored in my brain, it's all just pointers to where I can find that information somewhere else (old code I've written, documentation, Google, etc)

I’m a google tech and proud. Copy paste coder too.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

jaegerx posted:

I’m a google tech and proud. Copy paste coder too.

I don't have powershell stuff memorized but I can read it and figure it out. I Google with the best of them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My super power is arranging stack overflow answers in ways that produce results.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I randomly apply fixes and then write down (in pencil) the solution that ends up fixing the problem onto an index card and put it in a holder that resembles a rolodex.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've got a good grasp of programming best practices, and I've done semi-clever things in several languages, so much of my development time is spent figuring out the best tools for the job and then frantically googling how I do a foreach construct in whatever I'm working in today. This year I've usually been in PowerShell, but sometimes I just want awk damnit ! PS has bash beat all hollow as a language, but even with 3rd party modules it can't touch the raw power of a full Unix toolchain.

Am I missing something with findstr or does it not do what grep will do with matching files against other files. If I've got a list of hostnames, I can match them against a master list with host names and room numbers to dispatch minions to see why some of a big batch job failed.

grep -i -f hostnames.txt locations-and-hostnames.csv >> go-fix-these-systems.csv

Can findstr do that ?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I haven't used findstr in so long I honestly had to Google it. Try Select-String in powershell.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I would just like to take a moment to appreciate power bi for making me look like I know what im doing. I know its pretty basic stuff, but hooking into a live website and pumping out a dashboard is pretty cool, and is amazing to the managers.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Internet Explorer posted:

I randomly apply fixes and then write down (in pencil) the solution that ends up fixing the problem onto an index card and put it in a holder that resembles a rolodex.

I use google docs in a similar way.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

I would just like to take a moment to appreciate power bi for making me look like I know what im doing. I know its pretty basic stuff, but hooking into a live website and pumping out a dashboard is pretty cool, and is amazing to the managers.

I recently gave a Terraform demo (in a terminal, w/ verification on the AWS console) during a sprint review, and I got a pretty lukewarm reception, despite the amount of labor it would save. Later in that sprint review, a dude automated a simple login/verification process with Selenium, and drat near got a standing ovation. Which is to say - god drat terminal-based demos are awful and invisible work is frustrating sometimes.

I think I learned a lesson - if you're trying to show someone how effective boring-looking tools can be, use the cooking show approach. Have your process visible at first, but keep one in the oven for later so you can show your results without any wait time.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Necronomicon posted:

I recently gave a Terraform demo (in a terminal, w/ verification on the AWS console) during a sprint review, and I got a pretty lukewarm reception, despite the amount of labor it would save. Later in that sprint review, a dude automated a simple login/verification process with Selenium, and drat near got a standing ovation. Which is to say - god drat terminal-based demos are awful and invisible work is frustrating sometimes.

I think I learned a lesson - if you're trying to show someone how effective boring-looking tools can be, use the cooking show approach. Have your process visible at first, but keep one in the oven for later so you can show your results without any wait time.

I've done a couple of Terraform demoes at my last two positions and I basically do the cooking show approach. I have do a live demo where I create a quick, simple resource (usually a bucket or security group) then modify if in the AWS console so I can show terraform flagging drift. (Compliance and change control are a big deal here so that's a major feature.)

Then at the end I run a pre-made project that spins up an ECS cluster, ALB, tasks + service. I start apply, wave my hands for two minutes, open up a webbrowser and voila: an up and running containerized webservice.

I think it's always good to start backend/CLI presentations with the infomercial approach of describing the lovely, current way something is done then throwing your hands up "there's got to be a better wayyyyy" to contrast the approaches.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I can decipher any Cisco forums answer, no matter how broken the English may be. All bow before me.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

JehovahsWetness posted:

Then at the end I run a pre-made project that spins up an ECS cluster, ALB, tasks + service. I start apply, wave my hands for two minutes, open up a webbrowser and voila: an up and running containerized webservice.

I did this once in front of the whole company as part of a Hackathon Week thing. Worked with a developer to demo running some on-premise apps we have in AWS. We had tested it like 50 times beforehand to get an upper bound on how long I would have to bullshit while Terraform spun stuff up. Got to the end of my handwaving and went to load up the app... and nothing. poo poo was still booting up several minutes past the longest I had ever seen it take, because cloud. Presentation totally bombed.

Live demos: never again. Always fake that poo poo.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Docjowles posted:

Live demos: never again. Always fake that poo poo.

Hell yes. I did one last year and just used screenshots to show the process because I know convention center wifi will always fail me when I need it.

I've also doctored a recorded demo. The software wasn't there just yet and there was a bug in the process that would throw the error. So I get to the point where the error is about to happen and pause the video, make sure I keep the mouse in the same spot. Error happens and I use the Shift key to click OK, then resume recording.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

lol the last round of Windows Updates broke all the Ricoh Universal Print Drivers on campus.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Vargatron posted:

lol the last round of Windows Updates broke all the Ricoh Universal Print Drivers on campus.

Its not just Ricoh.. Its a lot of printer drivers. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4516045/windows-10-update-kb4516045 See the bottom of the Known Issues section.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/dcaroc/fyi_windows_10_1903_kb4522016_cumulative_update/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-1903-kb4522016-cumulative-update-breaks-printing/

Affects Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Good, gently caress all printers for all eternity.

Gealar
May 2, 2013

This explains a lot of headache with our printers. I thought it was our print server misbehaving.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I haven’t done help desk for years but I still have to deal with printer bullshit pretty often when some stupid complex Rube Goldberg machine that produces a label on a manufacturing line stops working and no one can figure out why

Last one was because someone replaced the printer without mentioning/documenting/testing it and the new one didn’t have some of the legacy paper sensors inside even though it was the same model

I hate printers

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got to decommission the last physical print server at my old job. I was allowed to throw it into the hardware recycling bin as hard as I could. I climb the staircase and fire it down. It felt so good.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I got to decommission the last physical print server at my old job. I was allowed to throw it into the hardware recycling bin as hard as I could. I climb the staircase and fire it down. It felt so good.

thank you for letting me live vicariously through my ultimate fantasy

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
The biggest advantage of byod is that I can just tell people that the printer not working from Excel on their Windows Laptop isn't my problem. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

You should’ve office spaced that