Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dark Off posted:

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/latest-announcements/annual-companies-house-report

tldr:
Company raised a further £17m from a minority equity investment, the UK part of the $46M worldwide investment into the Cloud Imperium Group made in 2018.
Group turnover has increased in 2018 to £17.9m (2017: £16.96m)
Costs have also risen to £21.4m (2017: £18.2m)

21.4 for the UK company, so you can add another chunk for the German and US offices/companies. I wonder if that 17 million is proportional to is size in the company as a whole. Highly speculative, but if so, that would put their annual costs at close to 60 million.

You can almost smell the burn rate.

EDIT: I borked my maths. Didn't pay attention to the pounds and dollars.

Even so, its still a spicy meatball of a burn rate.

Someone want to do the correct maths?

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Agony Aunt posted:

21.4 for the UK company, so you can add another chunk for the German and US offices/companies. I wonder if that 17 million is proportional to is size in the company as a whole. Highly speculative, but if so, that would put their annual costs at close to 60 million.

You can almost smell the burn rate.

EDIT: I borked my maths. Didn't pay attention to the pounds and dollars.

Even so, its still a spicy meatball of a burn rate.

Someone want to do the correct maths?

Star Citizen = [(Chris Roberts)/0 * (Sandi)] - 300,000,000

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

NVM

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 3, 2019

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

YOUTUBE: The Eradictor — Star Citizen: Sandi Gardiner’s importance to the project

TheEradictor and a guest who watched the first 10 minutes of the latest Sunk Cost Galaxy offer their informed rebuttal.

...aaaaand it’s a a 22 minute, full throated defense of nepotism. The host doesn’t seem to realize that the reason Chris and Sandi’s origin story is included is to demonstrate how ridden with contradictions and lies it is. Which begs questions about their credibility as leaders of “the most open and transparent company in gaming.”

It’s too bad they ignored the latter 50 minutes. It would’ve been interesting to hear whether TheEradicator was troubled even once by later points made.

REDDIT: “This video is literally hurt my feelings...”

This guy is a pullquote jukebox!

I almost replied, but then i got towards the end and decided it has to be a joke or troll post. The bit about screenshots bringing tears to his eyes has to be taking the piss.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

We are a gang? So, who is the capo dei capi?

Lowtax's ex-wife.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Is there a President of Marketing? How come Sandi's just the VP?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Star Citizen: Facts are the worst kind of fake news!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thom12255 posted:

Is there a President of Marketing? How come Sandi's just the VP?

VP gets more money. Surprising, I know. I imagine Chris is actual pres, though.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Agony Aunt posted:

Actually, you kind of can.

You start towards your destination, drop out, then select a different destination, then back to the original, then a different one, to create a zig zag path.

Of course, why do this unless you know there is a trap waiting.

For all the mess that this is, it sounds pretty similar to avoiding a drag/stop bubble in EVE.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

G0RF posted:

This guy is a pullquote jukebox!

The video brought so many great reactions. It's a hit !

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Oh my god this tasty tasty drama.

Star Citizen I love you. Don't ever change.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

People who keep repeating "think about it" or "you know I'm right" to support their argument remind me of those american-exclusive gambling showmen, who spew endless dribble and keep shouting harshly inbetween: "BE A WINNER! BE A WINNER!"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

That has to be somebody doing a bit lol, it's too perfect

Again, is it satire, fact stranger than fiction? Who knows.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Oh, were the banu the turtle people?

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Agony Aunt posted:

On my, the comments. Some people apparently don't want to know how their money is being spent.

Ignorance is bliss i guess.

Maybe they will find out via Space Court discovery. Then they will wish they had asked more questions.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
E:Welp wrong thread!

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Agony Aunt posted:

On my, the comments. Some people apparently don't want to know how their money is being spent.

Ignorance is bliss i guess.

I think they realize how fragile their dream is and worry that any information (financial or otherwise) may shatter it. For most of the remaining backers the dream is what they're paying for, so it's better to keep buying fictional ships for Star Citizen than to discover that SC will never release.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

ahh yes the somethingawful internet receipt which i keep in my wallet,next to my crusty picture of derek and sexy bears.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

trucutru posted:

So, £17M is $21M, right? (lol, you UK goons really hosed up). It's good to see that the branch that got 46% of the equity investment had costs of only £21.4M.

If we extrapolate a bit, the total costs for the whole group are £47M or $58M. :cool: That's a lot of JPEGs
I think they split the $46m equally, you're just using today's exchange rate of 1.24.

If the UK "banked" £17m and that is $23m that would suggest an exchange rate of 1.35 usd to gbp. The share issue happened in May/June 2018 when the exchange rate dropped from around 1.4 to 1.3 so it seems to fit.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Here is the big mind blower for commandos everywhere. What state would CIG be in right now if they did not receive the influx of cash from the Calders.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

monkeytek posted:

Here is the big mind blower for commandos everywhere. What state would CIG be in right now if they did not receive the influx of cash from the Calders.

They'd just lay people off to save money!

This some how wouldn't effect the already glacial pace of development.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hold on, so they are saying that at the end of december 2018 they were down to 2.9 million squid?

Holy shiite!

And that was after the Kraken sale which brought in many millions.

So it was only the Calder investment that really was giving them a cushion... the Calder investment that definitely isn't being used for development and only for marketing.

They are really going to have to put the con into con at citizencon. They must be running on fumes by now.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nicholas posted:

They'd just lay people off to save money!

This some how wouldn't effect the already glacial pace of development.

They could also work from home which would be a big money saver!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Agony Aunt posted:

Hold on, so they are saying that at the end of december 2018 they were down to 2.9 million squid?

Holy shiite!

And that was after the Kraken sale which brought in many millions.

So it was only the Calder investment that really was giving them a cushion... the Calder investment that definitely isn't being used for development and only for marketing.

They are really going to have to put the con into con at citizencon. They must be running on fumes by now.

No, they are stating retained profit. So from company formation to the end of December 2018 their profit and loss accounts have shown cumulative retained profits of £2.9m (At December 2017 the cumulative figure was £3.75m). This is the first year their annual accounts will have shown a retained loss if and when they file them.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I wonder what Ben Lesnick, Star Citizen Community Manager(?) has to say about the financials

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/1179229390846214144

huh....

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh man, going through that thread, making the odd comment, and one thing that is standing out for me.

The backers are now showing that the Calder investment wasn't just for marketing and implying the wording (further business development and other phrases) means it could be used for development.

Ok, fair enough... just one small problem.

Remember how after the Calder investment became public knowledge, it was those backers who were shouting how its only for marketing, CIG don't need that money, they have plenty in reserve. They just don't have a budget for marketing, so Calder investment is going to marketing.

Absoloutely fascinating and either they were wrong before or they are wrong now.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

shrach posted:

No, they are stating retained profit. So from company formation to the end of December 2018 their profit and loss accounts have shown cumulative retained profits of £2.9m (At December 2017 the cumulative figure was £3.75m). This is the first year their annual accounts will have shown a retained loss if and when they file them.

Ok, maybe you need to dumb it down for me a bit more, but what does it actually mean. They had 2.9 in the bank? They had more than 2.9 in the bank? How much?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Star Citizen: Chris didn't lie, he just mislead 8 times in a row

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Agony Aunt posted:

Ok, maybe you need to dumb it down for me a bit more, but what does it actually mean. They had 2.9 in the bank? They had more than 2.9 in the bank? How much?
Accounting profit is different to cash flow, it should reflect a true trading position accounting for timing differences.

However, in this case we have no idea if the dollar amounts that are transferred to the UK are a true reflection of the share of global ship sales/subscriptions or not. So since revenue is really just a reflection of how much money was transferred to the UK in order to pay bills as they become due, you cannot really say much about the UK trading position or profits as a whole.

Accounting ahead:
What happens is something like this. You're in the UK and you spend £20m out of your bank to run a business. You get your funds from the USA of dollars transferred and converted to £20m and that's it. Then 10 months after the year end your accountant goes through and prepares the accounts. Say you spent £1m on fixed assets, well that comes out of the profit and loss account and is replaced with a depreciation charge. Now your company has made a profit of £800k. Next your accountant says since you spent £20m of qualifying expenditure, you can get a tax credit of £4m. Now your company made a profit of £4.8m. And so on. So now your accounts will show, you made a profit of £4.8m and you have nothing in the bank, but you do have these assets on your balance sheet worth £4.8m that match your profits. While I have used rounded figures, this is literally what happened at CIG and lead to them restating earlier figures.

Because the amounts transferred from the US to the UK are just a balancing figure to pay bills as they become due, the difference between accounting income and accounting expenditure does not mean much when taken in isolation.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Where in this report does it explicitly state the Calder investment funds?

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Agony Aunt posted:

We are a gang? So, who is the capo dei capi?

But if we're a gang then that means... If the feds get one of us for FUD then they get all of us for FUD! That's it, I'm turning snitch. I won't go to FUD jail for you guys.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Hannibal Rex posted:

Star Citizen: Facts are the worst kind of fake news!

Sunk Cost Galaxy subjects you to the worst kind of fake news and it triples every second.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to think that Star Citizen might not be released as advertised

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Bootcha posted:

Where in this report does it explicitly state the Calder investment funds?

It's the second paragraph under the heading Business Review, but this isn't a report. It's a blog post. It is based on what should be a single page of their ~38 page financial accounts that they are overdue in filing with Companies House. https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/latest-announcements/annual-companies-house-report

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

So are all companies in the UK (including private limited) beyond a certain size required to file reports?

I never understood why CIG UK even had to file reports if they are a private company.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

shrach posted:

It's the second paragraph under the heading Business Review, but this isn't a report. It's a blog post. It is based on what should be a single page of their ~38 page financial accounts that they are overdue in filing with Companies House. https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/latest-announcements/annual-companies-house-report

Seems like CIG is frontrunning what is liable to be a less-than-glowing official report by putting out their own spin on things first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

made the mistake of trying out star citizen to see how far along it was (not very) and after being frustrated with how long it takes going from one place to the other (like 40 minutes unless you're a Big Bucks Spender with a big, fast ship) i had the even worse idea to share my frustrations in chat. people got really pissed off.
this sucks it's really not fun but apparently it's not meant to be "fun"?