Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Makes sense, I've always thought they'd be quick to massage the numbers if they started to drop.

When the collapse does finally happen, it will happen fast. Their main supporters know they're funding the month-to-month expenses of the studio(s). They're fine with this, as long as they can continue to believe that they aren't wasting their money, that others are also shouldering the burden and keeping CIG afloat.

BUT the instant a ship sale under-performs, leading to the next ship sale being a disastrous flop- too many backer's faith would be shaken. If enough people say "well, I'll sit this sale out and see what happens", well it's like the end of a ponzi scheme. Less new money coming in means no money paid out means even less new money coming in...

This will mean nothing to the most culty die-hard supporters but there really aren't enough of them to fund this by themselves, they need the mid-level whales.

There are a lot of reasons for Chris and Sandi to have vanished from sight, them seeing the writing on the wall could be the big one.

What makes you think that CIG would not just fudge with the funding figure in their tracker? Pretty sure they have been doing it all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
#notacult

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

DarkDobe posted:

I'd play the poo poo out of a Freespace-alike or *dreams here* FS3. The ending of 2 is at once.the best and worst for that. Shivans!!!

The music from that sequence still gives me chills!

Iceclaw posted:

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?

Naw that's Nu-Freelancer. Still open world. :/

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hell9

teump

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wow this was not the cspam trump thread

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

Wait, it isn't? ...

(actually reads thread)

... gently caress!

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Colostomy Bag posted:

"The messiah of games."

What a world.

Don't be so quick to dismiss the possibility. Remember that Ben Lesnick was once heard speaking in tongues in a message to the flock: Ya woah did ep eh did eh woh did.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

eonwe posted:

:orb:

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Somebody missed the echo that October is already Q4 ww

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

oh yeah. That's the good stuff.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Aren't caves usually smooth due to being created by erosion?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Beluga Snail posted:

Question - where would the archive of the various development history things be floating around? I can't seem to find it, namely that picture from the early days team that looks like a Trump Cabinet photo because there's only like 2 people left in total.

Not sure on the archive, but here's some stuff that probably comes from there originally, including that photo.

Archive itself is bound to be in SCAM somewhere...

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 5, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

XK posted:

That was my colonoscopy pre-user name.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

BUT the instant a ship sale under-performs, leading to the next ship sale being a disastrous flop- too many backer's faith would be shaken. If enough people say "well, I'll sit this sale out and see what happens", well it's like the end of a ponzi scheme. Less new money coming in means no money paid out means even less new money coming in...

CIG have enough in the bank to weather a bad ship sale or two. They've done it before - the space bus was a disaster for all we like to mock the drinks minigame, the superfighter fatigue as backers rebelled against endless oneupmanship in single-seat fighters, the same thing happening with jetbikes after a while (when they stopped being useful as LTI mules), the terraformer ship that was swiftly memory-holed, the armoured transport ship for your space tonks, and so on.

A run of bad ships might trigger an unforced error or two that turns out to be what finally sends whales diving for the exits, but one or even two bad ship sales in a row won't stop the dream. We've seen before that it takes a direct, un-ignorable attack on a whale's personal dreams to snap them out of it. You have to specifically undercut their belief that one day they'll be lording it over the unwashed masses in their space yacht.

That's why CIG never touches the spaceships once the sale is over. Messing with the specifications is incredibly dangerous. Look what happened with the missing seat in the alien bubble-fighter - the biggest uprising the backers have ever had, and all over whether an obscure and expensive fightercraft was single or two-seater.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

XK posted:

Your thinking of brains

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Loxbourne posted:

CIG have enough in the bank to weather a bad ship sale or two. They've done it before - the space bus was a disaster for all we like to mock the drinks minigame, the superfighter fatigue as backers rebelled against endless oneupmanship in single-seat fighters, the same thing happening with jetbikes after a while (when they stopped being useful as LTI mules), the terraformer ship that was swiftly memory-holed, the armoured transport ship for your space tonks, and so on.

A run of bad ships might trigger an unforced error or two that turns out to be what finally sends whales diving for the exits, but one or even two bad ship sales in a row won't stop the dream. We've seen before that it takes a direct, un-ignorable attack on a whale's personal dreams to snap them out of it. You have to specifically undercut their belief that one day they'll be lording it over the unwashed masses in their space yacht.

That's why CIG never touches the spaceships once the sale is over. Messing with the specifications is incredibly dangerous. Look what happened with the missing seat in the alien bubble-fighter - the biggest uprising the backers have ever had, and all over whether an obscure and expensive fightercraft was single or two-seater.

That's a very well-reasoned assessment of the situation.

:discourse:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

But you can't use half these ships...

Is Elite Dangerous any good?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

But you can't use half these ships...

Yes.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

elite dangerous has grind and content issues, but the basic gameplay of flying & fighting is Pretty Good™

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

What does your heart tell you?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

I am humbled, the CIG faithful have proven me wrong. Truly, the pipelines have kicked in and the delivery rate is astounding. Why there should be a second solar system by the end of 2025!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

At 7-8 items per quarter it'll only take them another 12 quarters to get into beta. I'm hyped.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trucutru posted:

At 7-8 items per quarter it'll only take them another 12 quarters to get into beta. I'm hyped.

What is beta anyway~

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Star Citizen: pay to beta

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Do you like Marmite?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

What is beta anyway~

Who knows.

At this point I would like for Elon Musk and Roberts to discuss things.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

DarkDobe posted:

I'd play the poo poo out of a Freespace-alike or *dreams here* FS3. The ending of 2 is at once.the best and worst for that. Shivans!!!

Just get FSO and play Blue Planet.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Star Citizen Alpha 3.7.0j PTU patch notes

Known Issues
  • VOIP will not transmit to players less than 200 meters away.
  • Renting many ships in succession can cause the kiosk to time out.
  • The Mustang Gamma and Omega will overheat when starting the quantum drive.
  • Equipping any of the new Kroneg weapons onto a ship will negatively affect the ship's pitch and roll speed.
  • Snoopy cap appears in hair style options on the character customizer.
  • P-72's ship description contains placeholder text.
  • In Star Marine's Demien Comms enemy indicators can sometimes be seen through walls.
  • There's a chance a vehicle will become unresponsive after quantum travel.
  • CRU-L5 is obstructed from most directions.
  • The Freelancer MIS bounces on the pad when spawned.
  • Darneely uses the wrong audio dialogue when offering a mission.
  • NPC beacons will sometimes display an incorrect distance.
  • Players can not complete the Clovus downed satellite counter measure after killing the opposing player when they are in possession of the computer blade.
  • "Maintenance" mission objective boxes vanish when they are picked up and dropped.
  • The video feed for ATC is currently blank.
  • AI ships traveling along a route will often get stuck.
  • Attempting to quantum travel to destinations from orbit of ArcCorp or its moons may result in the player colliding with the surface.
  • Ships can spin excessively out of control when their wing is clipped.
  • Landing illegally and having your ship despawn while a mission box is inside will break mission progress.
  • Players in the same ship may see the ship in different locations.
  • The textures on the Reclaimer's main turret are incorrect.
  • There's a large rectangular area missing from the surface of Daymar around one of the caves.
  • Multiple scope crosshairs are off center when viewed in ADS.
  • Corpses at derelicts are hidden under objects or hull.
  • Players may crash when loading into the industrial hangar.
  • Players may crash when changing hair back to original when using the character customizer.
  • Ships may display as rented if the player exits to title while a claim is in progress.
  • The reformation distortion scattergun currently has a blue light texture issue.
  • The default hair may be present under other hairstyles.
:lol::lol:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

I hope for his own sake that he is BSing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quavers posted:

[*]Ships may display as rented if the player exits to title while a claim is in progress.

They really have a trusted client model in their MMO, don't they?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

already q4, only 3/11 tasks were complete 4/11 tasks get pushed to other patches and the rest are in limbo

They are going to crunch on another holiday season

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
TWITCH: Astropub, Bored, and Darj talk The Lady Macbeth

The show is still streaming but they spent almost ten minutes on it.

AstroPub hasn’t even seen it, but Darj and Bored have. So they squirm while giving it the “nothing to see here” treatment. Darj was clearly :argh: to be featured in it.
  • It’s just another Forbes piece, really.
  • It’s just one person’s opinions, it’s not supported by fact.
  • Nepotism is great no matter what.
  • You can’t argue with all the success Sandi has created, can you?
  • The reason Chris and Sandi don’t do videos now is that it’s time to work.
  • Chris is single-handedly creating a new physics engine from scratch and that’s great because he coded Wing Commander. (“I mean Chris coding? He’s pretty brilliant.”)

Pretty awesome segment. All it needed was an Erris meltdown.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Snoopy cap is in. Just the final polish needed before release. What do you think? 2 weeks?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

G0RF posted:

* Chris is single-handedly creating a new physics engine from scratch and that’s great because he coded Wing Commander. (“I mean Chris coding? He’s pretty brilliant.”)

I'm sure the guy who had a hand in coding the current mess was just a moment of clarity away from making something awesome.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Just crack open a physics book, in the end it's all just a few dozen equations. I'm sure what's going on is just some minor transcription errors that any common a garden genius can spend an afternoon on and handle. Really, setting up pipelines is far more important to the firehose of amazeballs content waiting just around the next patch.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

biglads posted:

Snoopy cap is in. Just the final polish needed before release. What do you think? 2 weeks?

So soon? Seems like only yesterday Chris was sending them back to the drawing board!

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

"...effectively re-designing the whole game, which seems unlikely at this stage."

Normally I would agree, but this being CIG/Crobo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
The hell is a snoopy cap lmao