Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Methanar posted:

Finally had the revelation that its way the gently caress better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

:hmmyes: He's on to something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

So, I'm trying to get a position filled for a place out in the southeast US to support a couple sites (mostly basic networking, some tier 2 infra type stuff) and I finally got what I felt like was a good candidate after the interview and technical appraisal so I sent em over to HR to do HR things.

They had him do a Hogan assessment, an Advanced Numerical Reasoning Appraisal and a Critical Thinking Appraisal, which came back as Bad. After looking at these things I'm thinking that the Hogan assessment in particular looks like another one of those dumbass HR self justification phrenology things and I don't care about it at all.

Do any of you who are more involved in the management/personnel side of things put much stock in these? Would I be off base if I try to challenge HR on this?

These tests are good at getting at promoting candidates that say the right things on the test. They are useless.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Update: my new director loves Scaled Agile and I'm hitching my career to him

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Hogan assessment

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Selklubber posted:

My job needs to buy an EMC rated server for an industrial area. It's a "normal" server for a 19" rack. Are there any of big IT companies like Dell that sells EMC rated stuff? I'm looking at Siemens and other automation companies, but they're kinda pricey.

We need to have it rated for IEC610006, heavy industry immunity, and light industry emmisions.

I'm not aware of anything. Seems like a niche industry. We have a bunch of manufacturing plants, and we're looking at HPE Edgeline for new deployments there, but those don't cover what you need.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

In general I just virtualize whatever garbage OEM "server" comes with a piece of machinery assuming they won't just let us install the software on a VM to start with instead of sending the physical box, and let that all live in the server room. If it's got some weird rear end custom hardware in it that must be physically present around the machine then I just stick it in a properly rated enclosure somewhere around the MCC room (which we like to put in climate controlled spaces) and call it a day.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

Finally had the revelation that its way the gently caress better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
shut up and ship it

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
1) Does your org allow working from home and/or remote work? - Yes.
2) If yes to (1), how often/how much is allowed? - Requires superior approval, I haven't taken any (I prefer to keep work things at my workplace). A colleque takes a few days every week.
3) If yes to (1), are there any documented requirements for it to be allowed? -Documetend that it is up to supervisor approval.
4) If no to (1), are there any reasons given why not?
5) Would you consider working for an org that does not permit working from home/remote work? -Yes. I don't mind working at a certain place. I wouldn't take a totally remote position, I want to see and talk to people.
6) What country are you in? - Finland.
7) Public or private sector? - Private.
8) Union or non-union? - Union.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

MF_James posted:

Just got back from my honeymoon Sunday, supposed to be asleep for work, gently caress I'm not ready to go back for a lot of reasons; need a vacation from my vacation.

Also, shoutout to Sefal, thanks for meeting up when we were in Amsterdam, had a good time.

:hfive:
Good times

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

It took a little while but my boss has finally accepted that he’s losing me. I told him two weeks ago I’m moving out of the country at the end of the year and he fought tooth and nail to keep me on as a remote employee. I expected it to be shut down immediately by his boss, but he got the approval of our Director, the CIO, HR, and then it went to payroll. Payroll went to our laywer and the lawyer basically shut it down immediately with “Hell no you can’t pay an employee in The Netherlands”. Sorry to be leaving this place, it’s been a chill job with some cool people but now it’s time to ramp up the job search and find something else fun to do.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sefal posted:

:hfive:
Good times

We should have taken a picture together :(

Next time! Let me know if you end up in Chicago for some reason

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Jato posted:

It took a little while but my boss has finally accepted that he’s losing me. I told him two weeks ago I’m moving out of the country at the end of the year and he fought tooth and nail to keep me on as a remote employee. I expected it to be shut down immediately by his boss, but he got the approval of our Director, the CIO, HR, and then it went to payroll. Payroll went to our laywer and the lawyer basically shut it down immediately with “Hell no you can’t pay an employee in The Netherlands”. Sorry to be leaving this place, it’s been a chill job with some cool people but now it’s time to ramp up the job search and find something else fun to do.

Lmao what why would a lawyer care, there's companies set up just to do that, you pay a commission and they handle literally everything.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
I have been banging my head around looking for a "Service Catalog" frontend on google and I am getting nowhere fast. I'm looking for something that allows a user to enter in some information, then say an azure vm is built based on some loose defaults. I've seen https://www.cloudbees.com/blog/go-flow-self-service-catalog which looks to fit my needs but they're jerking me around for a demo. I've also looked at run deck but I can't get a good gauge of if it's worth time to explore or not there isn't much "community" around it? Does anyone have any suggestions, of course besides service now which is a bear!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

orange sky posted:

Lmao what why would a lawyer care, there's companies set up just to do that, you pay a commission and they handle literally everything.

Or he could be his own consulting company and just send them fat bills every 2 weeks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Twlight posted:

I have been banging my head around looking for a "Service Catalog" frontend on google and I am getting nowhere fast. I'm looking for something that allows a user to enter in some information, then say an azure vm is built based on some loose defaults. I've seen https://www.cloudbees.com/blog/go-flow-self-service-catalog which looks to fit my needs but they're jerking me around for a demo. I've also looked at run deck but I can't get a good gauge of if it's worth time to explore or not there isn't much "community" around it? Does anyone have any suggestions, of course besides service now which is a bear!
There's nothing that's going to give you a platform in a box, but Rundeck is a really nice tool for putting a frontend on top of whatever configuration management tools (Terraform, Ansible, etc.) you already have in place. This is the endpoint of your pipeline, not where you start creating one, but I'm happy to help if you need advice along this road.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Vulture Culture posted:

There's nothing that's going to give you a platform in a box, but Rundeck is a really nice tool for putting a frontend on top of whatever configuration management tools (Terraform, Ansible, etc.) you already have in place. This is the endpoint of your pipeline, not where you start creating one, but I'm happy to help if you need advice along this road.

Yeah we have a strong set of config tools and I just want to make some simple things for customers to be able to create for themselves, I'm trying to move us away from the "we need to handle every request" mindset. With some simple guard rails customers will take care of themselves for the most part. I'll take a peek at Rundeck. Thanks VC.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Jato posted:

Any word why the lawyer vetoed this? When I moved to Canada my old boss let me work remote for few years until I found something else. He even paid for my internet access.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jato posted:

Next time, accept "working remotely" and figure out how to make it work so you can have two paychecks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One of the biggest things that comes to mind is the language of your contracts and if it forbids or has any additional liability if data was accessed outside the country. It could also be an internal issue about risk of IP being exposed outside of the country.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Bonzo posted:

Any word why the lawyer vetoed this? When I moved to Canada my old boss let me work remote for few years until I found something else. He even paid for my internet access.

I’m honestly not entirely sure, all got was “they said it’s not possible for us to do”. I think it’s because for it to all be completely above board they’d have to register as an employer in the other country, abide by their labor laws for my job, contribute to the national healthcare system, withhold my taxes, etc. Basically it would’ve just been a huge expensive pain in the rear end.

I do appreciate that my boss values me enough to try to make it work and it would’ve been nice to work full time remote, but I’m excited to go try something different.

bull3964 posted:

One of the biggest things that comes to mind is the language of your contracts and if it forbids or has any additional liability if data was accessed outside the country. It could also be an internal issue about risk of IP being exposed outside of the country.
Our CISO actually said it’s fine, I just have to take a company computer. I’ve worked from outside the country in the past when fixing issues on vacation.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Twlight posted:

If you're using ansible, AWX or Tower has a surveys feature which will prompt someone who runs a job for a bunch of information in a friendly-ish way.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Jato posted:

I’m honestly not entirely sure, all got was “they said it’s not possible for us to do”. I think it’s because for it to all be completely above board they’d have to register as an employer in the other country, abide by their labor laws for my job, contribute to the national healthcare system, withhold my taxes, etc. Basically it would’ve just been a huge expensive pain in the rear end.

I do appreciate that my boss values me enough to try to make it work and it would’ve been nice to work full time remote, but I’m excited to go try something different.

Couldn't you create a LLC and work for them as a consultant?

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Sepist posted:

Couldn't you create a LLC and work for them as a consultant?

I could probably make it work somehow as an independent contractor probably but I’m not willing to go through all that to keep the job. It’s also a state job so there’s all kinds of red tape and I have no idea if they’d agree to something like that.

I’m in the middle of some interviews and they are going well, I think I’ll find a new job that I’ll be happy with pretty easily.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Jato posted:

It’s also a state job so there’s all kinds of red tape and I have no idea if they’d agree to something like that.

Ahhh I think that's the reason. I worked for a private firm and they just paid me like always and I would just transfer funds from my US bank to the one up here.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Vulture Culture posted:

I've had this same problem and asked this same question in this same thread and got the same answer as Rundeck...

Are there any demos or videos of screenshots online of what the UI is like from a customer's perspective? I see lots of stuff on what it's like as a technician initiating an action but I can't find anything that shows I'd be comfortable putting it in front of non-IT personal and having them request systems through ti.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Why are non technical people requesting servers

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

For what it's worth I've historically found the "a web app/UI for X, but for people who don't know X" to be a noble but ultimately wasteful pursuit.

From a tooling perspective you either have the capability to deploy instances of X without human intervention or you don't. If you do, the response to the request is a single button push anyway so the web app does not make a meaningful difference, if you don't, having your web app attempt to statefully manage your process for provisioning and configuring these items is, at best, reinventing the wheel (at worst, a mountain of technical debt you will never pay off).

From a process perspective, if it isn't better for these requests to go through a formal request/planning/assignment stage thats usually an indicator something is busted organizationally and you should probably try to address the root cause instead of trying to write a platform to handle the symptoms.

Of course I don't know anything about your particular requirements but the general idea is extremely common and I don't think I've ever seen it work out very well.

If you needed an AWS vm instead of an Azure one I would say just configure some launch templates instead

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Methanar posted:

It's no better if every random app developer tries to set up database or web servers? :confused:

E.g., our BI consultants, who are very much not capable of ops, constantly need demo servers etc.

Edit: Openshift and Openstack have layers like that, afaik, but that might not integrate well unless you already use them.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

My favorite is the non technical people who request servers and think they know what they need because they ran Linux of a live CD at home once. Trying to get them to stop talking about specs and start telling me what they’re trying to accomplish is my personal hell

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Aunt Beth posted:

get them to stop talking about specs and start telling me what they’re trying to accomplish

:yeah:

Or hell, even technical people who are stepping outside their domain. This week I had a developer helpfully send me a pull request of the changes he wanted to make to upgrade his application to run under a newer JVM version. And like, it's great that you spent a ton of time trying to figure this out and save me the work... but if I just pasted this into Chef and deployed it would break every other app we run that isn't ready for Java 11 yet so let's back up a bit.

Self-service of technical changes is theoretically very cool, but it does open several new cans of worms to deal with :can:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Methanar posted:

Yeah, this. The whole purpose of self-hosting and running multiple instances of something is that you can customize them, which I'd generally assume to mean a substantial level of technical competency. If someone doesn't have this level of comfort, why aren't they on a web-based service?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, for better or worse, this is our environment: We're the central IT shop of a large public University. One of the services we offer is Managed Server Hosting, where a customer can request a server, Linux or Windows, and we build it for them. Our current request process uses a Google Form (we use Google Apps for everything) that sets some guardrails on what you can request. We use a Google Script to bottle up all the responses as JSON and send it into an Azure Automation webhook which triggers a runbook job. We have an onboarding process for customers, so we have a list of who's allowed to request stuff for what unit. The first thing our runbook does is validate the person is authorized to request what they've asked for. If they are the automation builds it, and in about 20 minutes they've got a new server that they can access.

Our "customers" have a wide range of technical abilities, the vast majority of them are IT people, but a few aren't. But even then, the point of the service is that this is all abstracted and I don't want them to see how the sausage is made. And more abstractly, this would apply to more than just this specific business process. I'd like to give customers the ability to request more memory (or other system changes) and if they're approved to just do it automatically. And even more abstractly, there are lots of things that we would like to be able to present to non-technical users. We offer Google Groups, and because of the way access works, that team had to write a special web page that lets someone logs in and validates some info about the person and then creates the group for them. But writing a custom web app for every single type of IT request doesn't scale well, so I'd like something generic where you can request thing and if you're authorized for the thing then you get thing, all automatically.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Aunt Beth posted:

. Trying to get them to stop talking about specs and start telling me what they’re trying to accomplish is my personal hell

Reposting this: http://xyproblem.info/

I send it to our T1s periodically.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FISHMANPET posted:

automation stuff

We're heading in that direction right now. It's been mandated on high that server requests, and as much else as we can be automated through ServiceNow and any other programs we need. Upper management has also dictated Nutanix as our VM Platform of choice (against our advice), so getting all that orchestrated is what we're spending the next year on. I honestly don't see the value, but it's coming down from the highest of on highs, so we'll at least try to do it. There's already half a dozen caveats and issues with using Nutanix. Fun times.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We've got all the automation stuff down for pretty much anything, or at least it's a battle we know we can win, it's just a matter of getting a nicer front end to launch it all. Another I didn't mention is that if you're not "authorized" to request something it fires off a Microsoft Flow to request approval and the UX on that really sucks (people think the email they get is a phishing email) so something that can also handle approvals would be good as well.

We're just starting our TeamDynamix implementation but it has some kind of request catalog, maybe we'll be able to make use of that. We're also just looking at a wide variety of tools that we can use for the front end of requesting things, and then after the fact reporting we can do so customers understand what resources they have.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
We just got permission to upload code to our home directories lmao, next is Rundeck. It's like loving pulling teeth when we are supposed to combine with a new product team that is almost all automated in addition to our lovely old one. drat the systems engineers and their little fiefdoms.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

skipdogg posted:

We're heading in that direction right now. It's been mandated on high that server requests, and as much else as we can be automated through ServiceNow and any other programs we need. Upper management has also dictated Nutanix as our VM Platform of choice (against our advice), so getting all that orchestrated is what we're spending the next year on. I honestly don't see the value, but it's coming down from the highest of on highs, so we'll at least try to do it. There's already half a dozen caveats and issues with using Nutanix. Fun times.

Abandon all hope. I work for a company with >60k employees that is heavily invested in Service Now and uses Nutanix. It's awful. Nutanix supports a bunch of different platforms, and it lets different groups creep their own snowflake stack into the mix as it's "supported" even though it's garbage that the original vendor doesn't even sell anymore.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

EoRaptor posted:

Abandon all hope. I work for a company with >60k employees that is heavily invested in Service Now and uses Nutanix. It's awful. Nutanix supports a bunch of different platforms, and it lets different groups creep their own snowflake stack into the mix as it's "supported" even though it's garbage that the original vendor doesn't even sell anymore.

Yeah, I honestly don't have a lot of faith in us being able to pull this off in the real world. We're heavy into RedHat, which is like 50% of our environment, and the Linux guys are pushing back hard on moving everything to AHV because it's not officially supported. Our new solution is separate setups. AHV for Windows, VMWare for RedHat. CALM can supposedly handle both (CALM is expensive drat). Linux guys have a rager for Ansible of course so we're gonna end up paying for CALM to just run a Ansible playbook. Nutanix licensing is also stupid expensive, so we've cut back on the all flash nodes we wanted to buy, and are looking to move the bulk of our file storage to NAS devices instead of using Files. We've been dictated to use Nutanix for everything, but every corner we take we end up with another exception.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
We bought a single Nutanix block or whatever they call it, consisting of three nodes, just to evaluate whether we want to invest in going fully Nutanix for our virtualization. It has been a very love/hate relationship, but the fact that despite barely touching the thing and having all of like ten VMs running we have something like fifteen RFE/bugfix tickets open with Nutanix to fix their poo poo should pretty much say it all.

I really do want to like Nutanix but Prism and the jankiness of the entire platform makes it so difficult. The API documentation at least is decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Curious,

How many of you are working with AWS, Azure, GCP or another "cloud" IT Platform? I pretty much spend my entire day with Azure but occasionally work with corresponding services like traditional Active Directory.