Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

tango alpha delta posted:

This is why I use a virtual burner phone for all my SMS poo poo.

LOL, I don't even have a phone

--
Posted from my iPhone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

poverty goat posted:

a smartphone is like the internet itself, you really shouldn't ever put anything on it that would produce a doomsday scenario if shared with your parents, the police, or a hacker from belarus

This has exactly nothing to do with anything being on a smart phone. It could happen with a StarTac, and the attackers never got access to his device in any way as far as I can tell from the stories. (Nor would they need to for the described attack to work perfectly.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is why I use a virtual burner phone for all my SMS poo poo.

how does that help? your phone, virtual or otherwise, isn’t involved in any way with SIM swapping attacks

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Yeah, crypto has very little to do with this. Basically anyone that does any kind of online banking or investment can get SIM swapped and robbed. Especially when it's being done by the store employees themselves.

The real story is how completely unprepared anyone at AT&T was for dealing with that kind of scam.

They aren't unprepared. They have had plenty of experience with customers getting their accounts hijacked.

They just don't give a poo poo.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

They aren't unprepared. They have had plenty of experience with customers getting their accounts hijacked.

They just don't give a poo poo.

Yep, they pay less in lawsuits and other costs to deal with the aftermath than it would cost them to prevent it, so nothing will change unless that math does.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Subjunctive posted:

how does that help? your phone, virtual or otherwise, isn’t involved in any way with SIM swapping attacks

As far as I know it's pretty difficult to social engineer any personal information about a burner number.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

As far as I know it's pretty difficult to social engineer any personal information about a burner number.

In the article they didn't need to social engineer a thing. If your burner wasn't on AT&T those employees could've put in a number portability request for your burner's number and the thief would've gotten it with no information about you necessary. If the burner was already on AT&T or one of its MVNOs they already can do a sim swap.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You don't need to socially engineer a drat thing if you already have the number. You just submit porting requests through someone who isn't paying much attention.

There are thousands of lovely VoIP providers that will do this for you.

We (not my particular team) deal with this ALL. THE. TIME. to the point that the porting team has someone from the fraud team working with them on a daily basis.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
btc price go up big today

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

buglord posted:

btc price go up big today
Popped over $10K, now slightly under. Was there a Tether leak?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

nnnotime posted:

Popped over $10K, now slightly under. Was there a Tether leak?

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/china-xi-urges-blockchain-adoption-175319563.html

Xi Jinping said something good about btc.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1187892280906137602

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

They can't steal the number if they don't know which one to steal.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pooh said good things about blockchain it seems, not bitcoin

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

shame on an IGA posted:

They can't steal the number if they don't know which one to steal.

Do you use a different number for every website, or do you tell every shady bitcoin exchange operator exactly what phone number they need to hijack in order to loot your stuff from every other exchange?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Tether?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Nah, more the new business model of exchanges: liquidate leveraged positions. Tether is probably involved as with everything bitcoin these days, but not like 2 years ago where it was printed to pump the prices; now it’s just fluctuating the prices to squeeze margins so they don’t print it willy-nilly anymore.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
From the amber thread:

The Little Death posted:

It is all about BitMEX

The trading platform for leveraged cryptocurrency instruments  BitMEX registered a massive short squeeze. The positions worth of $200 million were liquidated within the recent day and set the bull's ball rolling.

Notably, the recent price collapse might have also been caused by BitMEX positioning as a huge long position was liquidated on the platform right before the sell-off.

Tether is involved

Notably, Tether Treasury has recently minted new coins worth of $16 million on the TRON blockchain. Traders believe that a large number of new coins injected in the system tp be converted into other cryptocurrencies, which is a clear bullish signal. 

A large number of new USDT being minted is often taken as a bullish sign by traders and market analysts since it can be assumed that these tethers will enter the market to be exchanged for cryptocurrencies.

At the time of writing, BTC/USD is changing hands at $9,600, up 27% on a day-to-day basis. The coin hit $10,484 high on Saturday before retreating to the current levels.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I understand when the Treasury Department or Federal Reserve or whatever creates money out of thin air to inject into the US economy as a means of controlling inflation or interest rates... those are US Dollars that have an actual effect on the real world and can be used to buy poo poo.

What exactly is Tether printing? Like will anyone actually redeem tether bucks? Do they have any function or effect in the real world outside of this closed loop Bitcoin system that seems to only exist only in a handful of large exchanges. Can I buy drugs or hire hitmen with tether bucks?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

lynch_69 posted:

I understand when the Treasury Department or Federal Reserve or whatever creates money out of thin air to inject into the US economy as a means of controlling inflation or interest rates... those are US Dollars that have an actual effect on the real world and can be used to buy poo poo.

What exactly is Tether printing? Like will anyone actually redeem tether bucks? Do they have any function or effect in the real world outside of this closed loop Bitcoin system that seems to only exist only in a handful of large exchanges. Can I buy drugs or hire hitmen with tether bucks?

There’s info in the op, but the short of it is that they’re fake dollars that everybody pretends are real because otherwise the entire ecosystem will crash. They were created because bitfinex ran out of money and decided to make their own and everybody just sort of went with it. You can’t redeem them, but often sell them to somebody else until the music stops playing. The music has been fading and will stop playing any minute for the past two and a half years. If you think that sounds dumb, I don’t know what you are doing in this thread.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

klafbang posted:

There’s info in the op, but the short of it is that they’re fake dollars that everybody pretends are real because otherwise the entire ecosystem will crash. They were created because bitfinex ran out of money and decided to make their own and everybody just sort of went with it. You can’t redeem them, but often sell them to somebody else until the music stops playing. The music has been fading and will stop playing any minute for the past two and a half years. If you think that sounds dumb, I don’t know what you are doing in this thread.

"No way, it can't be that stupid" is a pretty common response to all things bitcoin-related

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Tether is kind of a forex gift card. To the exchange traders it gives liquidity to play the different bitcoin markets that deal in tether with a minimum of transactions that trigger securities accounting requirements like cashing out of one exchange in a currency to dump into another exchange.

At least that's the front, its literally for market makers to trade on infinite margin for squeezing positions in their favor.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zedprime posted:

Tether is kind of a forex gift card. To the exchange traders it gives liquidity to play the different bitcoin markets that deal in tether with a minimum of transactions that trigger securities accounting requirements like cashing out of one exchange in a currency to dump into another exchange.

At least that's the front, its literally for market makers to trade on infinite margin for squeezing positions in their favor.

So Tether is exactly the same as the Federal banks, except there isn't the governments to back it up?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

roarpower posted:

So Tether is exactly the same as the Federal banks, except there isn't the governments to back it up?

That’s like saying that sex is exactly like rape except for consent.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got a real question? Why would anyone take Facebook money? It doesn't make any sense. We already have a digital economy. I only have cash because of the off chance that the place I am visiting is still in the 1990's and won't take a card

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

klafbang posted:

That’s like saying that sex is exactly like rape except for consent.

what? explain this!

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

roarpower posted:

what? explain this!

Technically you’re right, but that little detail makes all the difference.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

roarpower posted:

I got a real question? Why would anyone take Facebook money? It doesn't make any sense. We already have a digital economy. I only have cash because of the off chance that the place I am visiting is still in the 1990's and won't take a card

They're trying to sell this as a thing for the "unbanked" who don't have access to the digital economy. The part that isn't clear is how setting this up, which will absolutely have to have AML/KYC practices in place, would solve any of those people's problems (hint: it won't, they're just hoping to disrupt banking regulations, and it's not going to work).

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

klafbang posted:

Technically you’re right, but that little detail makes all the difference.

no. I want an explanation. How is this like rape?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

roarpower posted:

lol

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Motronic posted:

They're trying to sell this as a thing for the "unbanked" who don't have access to the digital economy. The part that isn't clear is how setting this up, which will absolutely have to have AML/KYC practices in place, would solve any of those people's problems (hint: it won't, they're just hoping to disrupt banking regulations, and it's not going to work).

so they are trying to rip off poor people. Got it

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

roarpower posted:

...that was the explanation. The comparison is technically correct, but that little detail makes a huge difference.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

roarpower posted:

Because it would be very convenient to use on Facebook and Facebook is giant.

There would be no difference if Facebook made it super easy to transfer money between people on Facebook. WeChat made transfers super easy in China and Facebook wants that for the western world, but they won’t use CCs for two reasons: they would have to pay the CC companies for making transfers and Mark (the one that repeatedly does wrong) really wants to own every part of your life.

For the businesses the reason would be everybody has Markycoins, so you don’t want to miss business. Facebook could probably also make costs lower to get into the market. You cannot meaningfully operate in China without taking WeChat and I believe it is similar in Africa with phone calling cards.

Facebook can also make it easier to use using their own money: everybody with a FB account gets a Zuckbuck account and one free Zuckbuck. Compare that with having to find and then enter your CC (and good luck if you don’t have one and need to link a bank account or grow older).

There’s absolutely no reason to use a blockchain except hype, and all points to them not doing that (except for vague promises about the future).

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

senrath posted:

...that was the explanation. The comparison is technically correct, but that little detail makes a huge difference.

so putting your money in a FDIC insured back is rape. I am missing something

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you guys thought I was for blockchain?

I definitely misrepresented myself.

Remember that time that Dread Pirate Roberts got distracted, and destroyed his bitcoin company

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
I get transferring FaceBucks between two people on Facebook would be easy, but how are you supposed to use a FaceBucks off Facebook? Am I supposed to transfer to Burger King business page if I want to buy a burger or to the manager of the franchise?

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

klafbang posted:

Because it would be very convenient to use on Facebook and Facebook is giant.

There would be no difference if Facebook made it super easy to transfer money between people on Facebook. WeChat made transfers super easy in China and Facebook wants that for the western world, but they won’t use CCs for two reasons: they would have to pay the CC companies for making transfers and Mark (the one that repeatedly does wrong) really wants to own every part of your life.

For the businesses the reason would be everybody has Markycoins, so you don’t want to miss business. Facebook could probably also make costs lower to get into the market. You cannot meaningfully operate in China without taking WeChat and I believe it is similar in Africa with phone calling cards.

Facebook can also make it easier to use using their own money: everybody with a FB account gets a Zuckbuck account and one free Zuckbuck. Compare that with having to find and then enter your CC (and good luck if you don’t have one and need to link a bank account or grow older).

There’s absolutely no reason to use a blockchain except hype, and all points to them not doing that (except for vague promises about the future).

It is a terrible idea to give facebook access to your money. Find a credit union. If you can't do that just keep under your bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

roarpower posted:

so putting your money in a FDIC insured back is rape. I am missing something

You made a terrible analogy, and your error was pointed out to you by using another terrible analogy. That's all.