Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Norefund14days posted:

Been away since I gots my refund. Is the game out or is it still three weeks to release?

It's down to two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Top comment

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Pixelate posted:

Top comment

God drat the broken brained whales in that thread...

It's just comment after comment about some far off Firelfly/Star Trek dream that the game doesn't and will never support, and how the Carrack is their perfect digital penis.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Remember The Mandate?

https://mobile.twitter.com/graggunslinger/status/1184534007767285762

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Norefund14days posted:

Been away since I gots my refund. Is the game out or is it still three weeks to release?

It's both, and yet not a game.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Release date delays are like a cat. You can have a cat. But if you have 100 cats? That’s a lot of cats.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Apparently this should teach us nothing about game development. Because only CInotG knows etc etc.

I also liked the cat analogy that the art director made though.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Ah Jesus Chirst the poor luck on this guy, The Mandate, Telltale and Hi-Rez? Just missing CInotG for the Four Developers of the Crunchpocalypse.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Getsuya posted:

Release date delays are like a cat. You can have a cat. But if you have 100 cats? That’s a lot of cats.

Star Citizen: That's a lot of cats!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Norefund14days posted:

They’ve surpassed 300 million dollars in funding including an private investment from a billionaire and are entering year 8 of development. Star Citizen is still basically a very broken model viewer/tech demo in which you can fly your $1000 spaceship around and imagine that someday you will be able live out all your sci-fi fantasies. They’ve currently finished 2/3 of star system 1 out of 100. What little there is in the game is fundamentally broken and plays like baby’s first space adventure.

At this point even most of the cultists agree that there will never be a god patch and the current glacial drip of scattershot content is all there will ever be. The last hope is that something called server side object container streaming, which is just fancy terminology for basic MMO infrastructure will save the game once CIG gets it working.

SQ42 has a beta release date of Q4 2020, but even from their own published roadmaps it’s years behind.

Chris has spent most of the past year in hiding and rarely appears on camera now; while Sandi appears to have checked out entirely, and if rumors are correct, is opening up a Hollywood production company with her ill-gotten gains. The whole mess has gotten harder and harder to even make fun of, as most of CIG has gone into survival/expectation management mode as they’re likely preparing to call SC “released” at some arbitrary point in the next few years, no matter how broken and devoid of content it is.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 28, 2019

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sc popped up on my morning twitter-on-the-shitter browsing again

what's happening?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

what's happening?

SSDD.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/dnzn19/new_citizencon_2949_poster_full_resolution_in/

So I guess they really are going to just put in a jump gate to a new bare bones star system and call it "exploration", even though Stanton is only half finished. The Citizenry will eat it up and go on a victory lap.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Not like its going to work anyways, every CIG presentation has gone horribly awry.

I say let the gifs begin!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pixelate posted:

Top comment

I wonder what they think they are going to explore.... their navel?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Agony Aunt posted:

I wonder what they think they are going to explore.... their navel?

Well after 8 years they're almost done implementing one solar system. Croberts just has to sprinkle some fidelity around and a progen infinite universe will appear any day now.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 28, 2019

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

what's happening?

There's a free fly week starting today. Time for more griefing vids.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kikas posted:

There's a free fly week starting today. Time for more griefing vids.

If only i had room on my SSD. Not going through the nightmare of trying to play it off a standard drive again.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kikas posted:

Ah Jesus Chirst the poor luck on this guy, The Mandate, Telltale and Hi-Rez? Just missing CInotG for the Four Developers of the Crunchpocalypse.

Nah he had offers from Telltale and HiRez but turned them down to stick with The Mandate. In hindsight, probably not the worst outcome.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

colonelwest posted:

They’ve surpassed 300 million dollars in funding including an private investment from a billionaire and are entering year 8 of development. Star Citizen is still basically a very broken model viewer/tech demo in which you can fly your $1000 spaceship around and imagine that someday you will be able live out all your sci-fi fantasies. They’ve currently finished 2/3 of star system 1 out of 100. What little there is in the game is fundamentally broken and plays like baby’s first space adventure.

At this point even most of the cultists agree that there will never be a god patch and the current glacial drip of scattershot content is all there will ever be. The last hope is that something called server side object container streaming, which is just fancy terminology for basic MMO infrastructure will save the game once CIG gets it working.

SQ42 has a beta release date of Q4 2020, but even from their own published roadmaps it’s years behind.

Chris has spent most of the past year in hiding and rarely appears on camera now; while Sandi appears to have checked out entirely, and if rumors are correct, is opening up a Hollywood production company with her ill-gotten gains. The whole mess has gotten harder and harder to even make fun of, as most of CIG has gone into survival/expectation management mode as they’re likely preparing to call SC “released” at some arbitrary point in the next few years, no matter how broken and devoid of content it is.

I agree with everything except the release part. I don't think either CIG or the citizens actually ever want an official release - that blows the whole "IT'S ALPHA" excuse apart and the purchase of ships then becomes a hot issue.

Nah, keep it in eternal development, let the citizens dream while also paying $1000's for those dreams, keep those nasty reviewers away, respond to every criticism with the tier 0 implementation that will, of course, be fixed by release, all the time the management can enrich themselves nicely and without any complaints. Star Citizen will be like this until it fades away is my guess.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

One of the few Kickstarters I backed that ended up in a big fat nothing :negative:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

I can answer that question with another question: If Chris Roberts was an unparalleled game developer rock star returning to lead PC gamers to the promised land, why did every publisher laugh him out of their offices when he was only asking them for $500,000?

Until Chris leaves, or is booted from, this project, it will never amount to anything. Real game developers won't work for him. Real game publishers won't fund him. The timeline where Star Citizen sees any sort of release splits into two paths: one where Chris stays there and the game that releases is raw unfiltered sewage, and one where the most recent investors make his exit a condition of continued funding. In the second scenario all bets are off; the chances of any given project succeeding increases linearly with the distance the project puts between itself and the Crobbler. That said, the $400+ million they've already burned is gone and they have nothing good to show for it. Every other game that's come out in the last few years has run circles around this project. I can't imagine the amount of effort it would take to get this behemoth working in any capacity, much less a fun one.

What about a 3rd scenario (or scenario 2b if you prefer) where investors actually:

1 - ringfence the current project piece of poo poo to avoid any liabilities and then just simply write it off (no money or games dues to anyone) minus the IP, usable code and assets, and then
2 - continue that conditional investment of your second scenario within a completely new legal entity developer (possibly new team) on the same IP etc from scratch and
3- rebrand the project if necessary so no legal attachments to the written off pos, then adapt the scope of the game to something more realistic and
4- make everyone pay for the new product, including all willing backers

The only way I can see this poo poo working out for investors is if somehow they manage to get rid of the existing IOU of a game to existing backers and make the whole market have to pay for the product again.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 28, 2019

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

So, when will be Star Citizen turned into a chinese mobile cash-grab game?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Dwesa posted:

So, when will be Star Citizen turned into a
chinese
mobile
cash-grab
game?

No
No
Yes
No

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

You mean DDSNG: Different Day Still No Game

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
SaltEMike Answer the Call: Star Citizen Flight Discussion with Noobifier and Darjanator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckxO_6ZExrw

25m50s in:
Darj - I'm not getting my rear end handed to me anymore
Noob - That's because those people (competitive PvPers) aren't playing anymore. That's right, RedLir has quit, he's literally cashed out. I'm not bailing though...

RedLir was a longtime SC streamer :negative:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

MedicineHut posted:

What about a 3rd scenario (or scenario 2b if you prefer) where investors actually:

1 - ringfence the current project piece of poo poo to avoid any liabilities and then just simply write it off (no money or games dues to anyone) minus the IP, usable code and assets, and then
2 - continue that conditional investment of your second scenario within a completely new legal entity developer (possibly new team) on the same IP etc from scratch and
3- rebrand the project if necessary so no legal attachments to the written off pos, then adapt the scope of the game to something more realistic and
4- make everyone pay for the new product, including all willing backers

The only way I can see this poo poo working out for investors is if somehow they manage to get rid of the existing IOU of a game to existing backers and make the whole market have to pay for the product again.

That's an interesting possibility. I can easily see something along those lines happening. How many times did Richard Garriott claim he was making a sequel to UO, get years into development, then suddenly stop because UO already exists? Two? Three? This would basically be the same thing in reverse. "With all the lessons we learned working on Star Citizen we're rebranding the project and migrating all our work into the new Star Citizen: Elite Edition! This is the real Dreams 2.0!*"

Considering all their "remember whens" and other misleading propaganda they've been releasing for years now, implying that Star Citizen is a complete game, the next logical step would be to imply that Star Citizen was a complete game that was so successful it warranted a full sequel.

*No refunds

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

SaltEMike Answer the Call: Star Citizen Flight Discussion with Noobifier and Darjanator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckxO_6ZExrw

25m50s in:
Darj - I'm not getting my rear end handed to me anymore
Noob - That's because those people (competitive PvPers) aren't playing anymore. That's right, RedLir has quit, he's literally cashed out. I'm not bailing though...

RedLir was a longtime SC streamer :negative:

Oooh, a refundian.

Is the flight model so bad that the competitive types are bailing?

Oh gods, i hope not, that means they will be coming back to ED....

Fix your poo poo CIG!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wonder why Rexzilla isn't playing Warface... seems right up his alley.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Pixelate posted:

Squadron 42 Roadmap Update (2019-10-25)

Why does Q3 still have tasks in it?

And why are they so few?

And why does Q4 have so many?

I think everyone can agree that it's staggering.

There's a little yellow box for "phase newly completed". I've never seen it used in any of these roadmap updates.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

So, when will be Star Citizen turned into a chinese mobile cash-grab game?

I'm contacting the Korean guys who bought hellgate London, I'll get back to you soon

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nyast posted:

There's a little yellow box for "phase newly completed". I've never seen it used in any of these roadmap updates.

The backers have already reached the Acceptance stage about the current roadmaps. Both CIG and the dude who makes those updates are just going thru the motions now.

Right now it's all about their con and all the secret tech they have been working non-stop which is not on the roadmaps.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Someone told me this game is a pile of poo poo.

I agreed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lladre posted:

I agreed.

Well look who we have here. A friend of the warlord.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Lladre posted:

I agreed.

No, they could not get the pile physics to work, so it's really just plain old poo poo.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
reminder that Chris Roberts pays roughly 60k a year in HOA fees and property taxes

but I'm sure he is pulling in 100k/yr like moma suggested lol

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I still think the only guy walking away with money is Ortwin, the other three are poo poo with money.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TheAgent posted:

reminder that Chris Roberts pays roughly 60k a year in HOA fees and property taxes

but I'm sure he is pulling in 100k/yr like moma suggested lol

He'll be destitute in no time once the gravy train runs out of steam. I see this poo poo constantly with people who want to "be rich." Making $150,000 a year doesn't mean you suddenly maintain million dollar mansions and $60,000+ HOA and property taxes. Those kinds of numbers are for people whose investment dividends alone are in the millions. It's possible to be rich enough to not know what to do with the money - those are the people who rent out those properties. You buy it and rent it out to morons like Roberts. When his income drops to "jack and poo poo," I doubt he'll even cut and run with what's in the bank. He'll burn every dime attempting to keep looking rich, until he's back on people's couches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Lladre posted:

I still think the only guy walking away with money is Ortwin, the other three are poo poo with money.

Chris is living the rapper lifestyle

Spend it while you have it and then beg once it dries up

Or go on reality tv

That should be good for another few years of hilarity