Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Professional day trading + Plex server + trading bot. Aiming for either a dell 49" 4k or the 8k monitor, depending. I want to make sure I can have a million windows open and still stream plex in the background for other people.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Probably limit is $5k-10k range excluding monitor, as I'm just going to use trading profits to buy something like that 49" dell curved 4k monitor.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? Trading is super CPU intensive/significant numbers of windows so probably something like Ryzen 3900x as my bias towards Ryzen.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I don't care so long as it can render, but I have a Vega 56 lying around if it's enough to support either 4x4k or I can buy something else.

You need one of these, mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Stickman posted:

What resolution/refresh rate are you gaming at? The 9600k's small 5% single-core performance boost over the 3600 is really only going to translate into a small boost in fps at very high frame rates - most of the time they'll be no difference whatsoever. The 3600 has a significant multi-core advantage which will mean better frame-rate stability as games utilize more cores, but again won't be a noticeable difference currently (and probably not for a few years yet). In fact, if you're mostly gaming at 60 fps, you're not going to see a performance difference between either of those processors and a 1440kr 2600 for current games (and probably not for several years yet).

The AMD platform also has the advantage in upgradeability: the Tomahawk is decent enough to drop in upgrades all the way up to a 12-core 3900x and there's a decent chance that the 4th generation of Ryzen processors will also be compatible. An entry-level z390 like the Prime-p would potentially run a 9700k at stock speeds, but I wouldn't try to upgrade to a 9900k, and future generations are extremely unlikely to be compatible. Ryzen drop-in upgrades are also made easier by the fact that Ryzen processors actually drop in price over time due to multi-generational compatibility of the motherboards.

In the end, though, you really can't go wrong either way - they're very close in price and performance!

E: The Asus Prime Z390-p lacks the prime z370-a ii's usb-c port. If you want one I'd get the ASRock z390 Pro4 instead.
I've never been one to require great frame rates, just stable around 60 on 1920*1080 is good in my book. For the price difference it really sounds like the Ryzen 2600 is the way to go, especially if that setup lends itself better to future upgrades.
So I guess what I'm going for is:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3,4GHz Socket AM4 Box
MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
PSU: Corsair RM750X V2 750W
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Gray DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB

For a total of 4922:-, or $507. Good plan? Bit more money than I'd hoped on account of replacing the RAM and PSU as well, but certainly less expensive than without this thread's help. Thanks again! Gonna wait a few hours before pulling the trigger, so if something here is still a bad idea please let me know :)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Looks good! If you're going with the 2600, you could save 150 kr on a B450 Pro4 instead - we don't recommend it for a new 3600 system because it doesn't have out-of-the-box compatibility or cpu-less bios flashing, but once you have it's bios updated you could drop in a 3rd-generation chip later without any problems.

The Crucial ram is also 120 kr more expensive than the equivalent G.Skill kit. The Crucial has better chance of good overclocking so we recommend it stateside where they're the same price. Overclocking isn't very important though, especially not at 60Hz, so for $12 I'd probably just get the G.Skill.

650W (or even 550W) would be sufficient for a psu, though the 750W RM is a pretty decent deal. The 650W version would save you 130 kr and has all the same features and warranty. The 550W Seasonic Focus Plus Gold is another 120 kr cheaper still.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 28, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Just a check in to say that the 5700xt doubled my frame rate, but needed a little fiddling with the fan curve to stop being so loud.

I still rate the 970gtx though: even though it's a solid upgrade there is nothing currently available that absolutely requires more, so if you still have a decent 970 don't feel you have to upgrade yet (at 1080, anyway). I gave my 970 to a friend, who is gonna get a 100% upgrade of his own :unsmith:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

So is there a good upgrade option at this point that would be worth it from a RX 590 for 200-350$? I can't even overclock it anymore and I'm starting to feel performance hits in 1440p.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

So is there a good upgrade option at this point that would be worth it from a RX 590 for 200-350$? I can't even overclock it anymore and I'm starting to feel performance hits in 1440p.

If you can stretch your budget to $410, the 5700 XT is a fantastic 1440p card (go with a Sapphire Pulse, Powercolor Red Dragon, or Gigabyte Gaming OC) and is about a 90% improvement over the 590's graphical processing power. The 5700 is a good choice, too, but you're losing ~15-20% performance for $50.

If you want RTX, the 2060 or 2060 super are decent upgrades over the 590, but not as cost-effective for raster performance. The 1660 Ti is really too small a boost to recommend spending a good chunk of change on (~20% improvement).

E: Here's some pretty comprehensive benchmarks!

sebmojo posted:

Just a check in to say that the 5700xt doubled my frame rate, but needed a little fiddling with the fan curve to stop being so loud.

I still rate the 970gtx though: even though it's a solid upgrade there is nothing currently available that absolutely requires more, so if you still have a decent 970 don't feel you have to upgrade yet (at 1080, anyway). I gave my 970 to a friend, who is gonna get a 100% upgrade of his own :unsmith:

Yeah, 970 is definitely still a solid card, though there's a few games that'll choke on the 3.5GB of VRAM. Which 5700 XT model did you end up getting? Have you had any game-specific issues?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 28, 2019

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Sidetrack: I've been reading this thread for weeks contemplating a new build and I can't believe studios are making games that require stupidly expensive machines to really enjoy :(

I now remember why I bought my $200 Xbox One.

Still gonna build a new computer though.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm new to AiO coolers, what's the deal with pump speed? I get that they are not designed to ramp up / down but experimenting with my new 3400G setup running the pump at 60% doesn't seem to make any difference at all to the thermals and makes it appreciably quieter. I've seen some people say that it needs to be run at 100% all the time and some people say that it's fine to run it lower as long as it's not ramping/up down.

I appreciate that pumps are optimised to avoid cavitation at the rated speed but running a liquid pump slower, at least in real world (not PC-cooling) wisdom, tends to extend pump life, not shorten it.

I may be wrong, but it feels like if the liquid is moving slower through the rad it would have more time to be cooled by the fans. I haven't done any research or testing, but it makes sense to me. Maybe it makes a difference on extended loads?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stickman posted:

If you can stretch your budget to $410, the 5700 XT is a fantastic 1440p card (go with a Sapphire Pulse, Powercolor Red Dragon, or Gigabyte Gaming OC) and is about a 90% improvement over the 590's graphical processing power. The 5700 is a good choice, too, but you're losing ~15-20% performance for $50.

If you want RTX, the 2060 or 2060 super are decent upgrades over the 590, but not as cost-effective for raster performance. The 1660 Ti is really too small a boost to recommend spending a good chunk of change on (~20% improvement).

E: Here's some pretty comprehensive benchmarks!

Yeah, 970 is definitely still a solid card, though there's a few games that'll choke on the 3.5GB of VRAM. Which 5700 XT model did you end up getting? Have you had any game-specific issues?

Sapphire ... Pro? I think? No game specific issues, I've heard it gets coil whine sometimes in which case I'll probably try returning it and getting another.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bank posted:

Sidetrack: I've been reading this thread for weeks contemplating a new build and I can't believe studios are making games that require stupidly expensive machines to really enjoy :(

I mean they're not, really? Like I said above until I upgraded I was on ok 2013 hardware and everything ran very well.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm curious how loud is the card? The 590 is loud as hell and I really hate this part of it.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Stickman posted:

Looks good! If you're going with the 2600, you could save 150 kr on a B450 Pro4 instead - we don't recommend it for a new 3600 system because it doesn't have out-of-the-box compatibility or cpu-less bios flashing, but once you have it's bios updated you could drop in a 3rd-generation chip later without any problems.

The Crucial ram is also 120 kr more expensive than the equivalent G.Skill kit. The Crucial has better chance of good overclocking so we recommend it stateside where they're the same price. Overclocking isn't very important though, especially not at 60Hz, so for $12 I'd probably just get the G.Skill.

650W (or even 550W) would be sufficient for a psu, though the 750W RM is a pretty decent deal. The 650W version would save you 130 kr and has all the same features and warranty. The 550W Seasonic Focus Plus Gold is another 120 kr cheaper still.
Dang, you're really going above and beyond by trawling through what I have to assume is an incomprehensible Swedish website to help me out. Do we still do forums upgrades or avatar purchases as gifts around here? If so just let me know if I can throw anything your way as thanks.

I don't remember if I went with the 750W when building this machine originally because the thread recommended it or because of my own personal paranoia of going too low or whatever, but I might get the 650W version by your recommendation. Still paranoid about going as low as 550 though, would that really be sufficient for the whole package?

E: Oh, it looks like the B450 Pro4 doesn't support DDR4-3200 though, which is the stuff I was getting I think? I just assume the 3200 here stands for 3200Mhz, as is the listed speed for the G.Skill kit.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 28, 2019

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My B450 Asrock board came with Ryzen 3000 bios updates out of the box so depending on how old the stock is a B450 may well support a Ryzen 3 now it's just not guaranteed.

EDIT: and it supported 3200 RAM by setting an XMP profile in the BIOS

jeff8472 posted:

I may be wrong, but it feels like if the liquid is moving slower through the rad it would have more time to be cooled by the fans. I haven't done any research or testing, but it makes sense to me. Maybe it makes a difference on extended loads?

Yeah I think flow rate is kind of moot unless it's so slow that it's got time to boil in the block. I just saw a bunch of "ONLY RUN IT AT 100% OR YOUR PUMP WILL DIE" "advice" in threads on google but it seems to just be people parroting people who misunderstood the advice around not having the pump be ramping up and down like a fan.

I'm impressed with the Corsair H55 / Ryzen 3400G combo though. It's idling around 25-35C depending on room temp. Once the loop is heat soaked in an all-cores stress test it levelled out and reached homeostasis at about 50C and still boosting to 4GHz. It's a really excellent little set up for coding and light enginerding CAD.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 28, 2019

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Scruff McGruff posted:

I mean, with that kind of budget you can pretty much do whatever you want.
CPU: 3900x would be fine. It's also worth noting that the 3950x is supposed to release in November so if your trading software is that CPU intensive and can utilize all cores you might as well go with that.
CPU Cooler: Sustained load on that many cores means you'll probably want to get at least the Scythe Mugen 5 or Noctua NH-D15 (I'm only familiar with air cooling so I can't speak for AIOs).
Motherboard: For compatibility peace of mind and to be sure you've plenty of VRM capacity for that many cores it's probably worth going with the Asus X570 TUF Gaming, though the usual B450 recommendations (Tomahawk and Pro Carbon) should work as long as you're not overclocking. It's rumored that the 3950x launch will also bring B550 chipset boards but I don't think that's confirmed or even if we know that they'll be available for non-system integrators any time soon.
Memory: The default suggestion is 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3200 kits. If you know that your software could use more then you can go for 32GB (2x16), might make sense if there's that much multi-tasking and Plex in the background.
Video Card: Are you doing 4x 4k or are you doing a single large 4k/8k monitor? I wasn't sure from your description how that was going to work. If you're not gaming then the single display should be able to run on even just a 1050. For multiples you'd probably have to make sure the card had the right number and type of output. In this use case It might also be appropriate to go with something like a Quadro P1000 which is cheaper than the 2060 Super, has 4 mini DisplayPort and is supposed to be great for driving 4k displays/signage but I don't really know enough about Quadro to know if that makes sense or how that might affect your ability to use the system for other applications if wanted, especially when today's gaming cards can basically do the same stuff. The Vega 56 might work, I think it supports MST daisy chaining with displayport too even if the card itself doesn't support 4 monitors at once from its direct outputs.

Even going 32GB on RAM, Noctua cooler, 850w PSU, and a 2070 Super I wasn't breaking $2k unless I tried.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($156.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($154.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1810.25

I've always been a fan of Noctua's in my builds, and I was honestly split. I want 4x 4K, but wife wants 1x-2 4K displays max and arbitrarily isn't ok with 4 displays, so I may even get two of those eventually. I'm fine with a 2060 super if that's basically the common recommendation lately. I was avoiding quadro/workstation cards solely out of fear that plex's GPU leveraging for rendering would screw it up. I mean, a lot of my video I stream is like 80mb/s and if I get a new camera that may go even higher, sadly. I'm sure I'm missing a lot because the current CPU is an i5-4690 so I missed 4K friendly rendering. I'll probably aim for 64-128GB ram in case I need to spin up some VM's, but aside from that I like this as it gives me a general estimate on cost lately. I was planning to go NVME, but I didn't realize 1TB NVME is now $110 - that's amazing.

lol uh....that seems a bit more expensive and they didn't even compare it to anything 3900's?

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 28, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

jeff8472 posted:

Any given bit of the liquid would spend the same percentage of it's time in the cooler regardless of the speed of the liquid, so that's probably not a factor. Since cooling is non-linear more of the temperature drop is going to be front-loaded, so faster cycling would be more effective if anything. I've also seen the argument that faster flows mean more turbulence in the radiator, leading to more even cooling of the liquid. I don't know the answer to the OPs, question, though - maybe just that some pumps aren't designed to run at slower speeds / lower voltages?

Woebin posted:

Dang, you're really going above and beyond by trawling through what I have to assume is an incomprehensible Swedish website to help me out. Do we still do forums upgrades or avatar purchases as gifts around here? If so just let me know if I can throw anything your way as thanks.

I don't remember if I went with the 750W when building this machine originally because the thread recommended it or because of my own personal paranoia of going too low or whatever, but I might get the 650W version by your recommendation. Still paranoid about going as low as 550 though, would that really be sufficient for the whole package?

E: Oh, it looks like the B450 Pro4 doesn't support DDR4-3200 though, which is the stuff I was getting I think? I just assume the 3200 here stands for 3200Mhz, as is the listed speed for the G.Skill kit.

No worries, I've used it before and Swedish is close enough to English that it's not too hard for us mono-lingual uncultured Americans :v: Thanks for the offer, though!

You can plug your components components into Outervision's psu calculator to get a ballpark estimate of you power usage. A 2600/3600, a 1070 ti with a decent overclock, and a couple of drives still come in ~415 W (<400 without the overclock!) The 650 gives you more wiggle room, though, and with the 10 year warranty that's not such a bad idea!

Woebin posted:

It does, it's just that anything over... 2133MHz I think? ... is technically overclocking. You just need to enable the "XMP Profile" in bios and it'll run at the advertised speed!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 28, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bank posted:

It's more expensive than a console, but there's also lot of room to spend extra for higher resolutions and frame rates. You can put together a pretty darn good 1080p machine for $650 that'll get 60fps in all but the most demanding titles, and there's room to shave off $100+ by cutting a few corners / Microcenter bundle discounts / buying used.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Stickman posted:

Any given bit of the liquid would spend the same percentage of it's time in the cooler regardless of the speed of the liquid, so that's probably not a factor. Since cooling is non-linear more of the temperature drop is going to be front-loaded, so faster cycling would be more effective if anything. I've also seen the argument that faster flows mean more turbulence in the radiator, leading to more even cooling of the liquid. I don't know the answer to the OPs, question, though - maybe just that some pumps aren't designed to run at slower speeds / lower voltages?

No worries, I've used it before and Swedish is close to to English for it to be easy enough for us mono-lingual uncultured Americans :v: Thanks for the offer, though!

You can plug your components components into Outervision's psu calculator to get a ballpark estimate of you power usage. A 2600/3600, a 1070 ti with a decent overclock, and a couple of drives still come in ~415 W (<400 without the overclock!) The 650 gives you more wiggle room, though, and with the 10 year warranty that's not such a bad idea!

It does, it's just that anything over... 2133MHz I think? ... is technically overclocking. You just need to enable the "XMP Profile" in bios and it'll run at the advertised speed!
You've been super helpful, and now I've got my stuff ordered. Looking forward to having a working desktop again!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bank posted:

PC games are way cheaper. Buy a dozen games on Xbox and PC and the savings are gone.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I think we should be at the point where we should straight up tell people not to get a 9600k unless it is severely discounted or if it is some sort of drop-in replacement for a damaged part they have. Like, not simply recommending another product but advising people to give the 9600k a hard pass for a brand new system. The 9600k's low thread count has been known to cause frame time delivery issues since the launch of the product last year. Things are not going to get any better and might even go downhill quickly in the next 18 months given that the latest consoles all purportedly have 8 core AMD products in them. If a user wants Intel and is willing to pay the price premium for peace of mind, we should direct them to a 9700k at minimum.

Bank posted:

Prices might start to come down significantly in the next 12 months. Intel is releasing is another 14nm refresh. It seems likely that multithreading is coming to i5s and Intel might be poised to dump cheap 14nm+++ chips into the market place in the next year to blunt AMD's advance into the desktop space. If so and AMD responds accordingly we might see more reasonable prices again before next year is over. Similarly with Intel getting into the GPU game, assuming these are not just workstation cards, and with AMD releasing some sort of high-end Navi based card, Nvidia might actually be forced to stop gouging at the insane levels seen before, even if it is just the midrange market that sees the price compression.

Woebin posted:

Stickman posted:

So that G.Skill kit isn't on the QVL (https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450%20Pro4/#Memory). That means there isn't likely to be a proper XMP profile on that BIOS. That means there is a decent chance it will default to 2133 (DDR4 standard). There is also a decent chance that it will not boot properly and POST for the first few times while the motherboard is "training" the RAM and figuring out the proper timings. Don't panic if this happens, just let it sit for like 5 minutes and if it still doesn't post, reboot and wait again. It will eventually come around but like I said it might default to 2133. In which case you will be leaving performance on the table (might not matter if your target is 60 fps) unless you deal with manual RAM timings through the Ryzen DRAM calculator app and then hoping your motherboard BIOS is flexible enough for you to go in there and mess with the timings. I mean I am not buildzoid or anything like that but troubleshooting tech, reading endless forum posts and bios manuals, and watching youtube videos on fine-tuning doesn't scare me, but as a new Ryzen user, I decided to play it safe and buy RAM on my mobo's QVL just in case.

I highly recommend all new Ryzen users to buy RAM that is on the QVL for the particular motherboard, even if it costs a bit more. In researching Epic Doctor Fetus's issues, I have come across a litany of issues revolving around the Ryzen platform and RAM, not just from the latest launch of the Zen 2 lineup, but going back as far as when Ryzen first launched. Troubleshooting these issues is not for the faint of heart. Just to be clear, I am not saying that non QVL RAM will fail or cause issues, in fact, it will most likely work in 95% of the cases even if it is with loose XMP timings. There will be a small minority of cases where XMP will simply not work and you gotta bust out the DRAM calculator to recover RAM speed and performance. But there appears to be a non-trivial group of people who will get absolutely dicked over by the platform and either lose noticable performance that is difficult and time consuming to claw back and in the worst case, non-techies might tear their hair out like huhwhat went through and what Fetus still going through atm.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zen1 had very high profile ram compatibility issues, which got resolved with Zen+, I wouldn't take Zen1 issues as indicative of anything on later revisions. If there's no premium on QVL ram sure, but I wouldn't stress too much unless you're a benchmark junkie. GN showed some improvement from QVL ram and it's on-board timings but iirc nothing super notable within a given performance bracket.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

MikeC posted:

So that G.Skill kit isn't on the QVL (https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450%20Pro4/#Memory). That means there isn't likely to be a proper XMP profile on that BIOS. That means there is a decent chance it will default to 2133 (DDR4 standard). There is also a decent chance that it will not boot properly and POST for the first few times while the motherboard is "training" the RAM and figuring out the proper timings. Don't panic if this happens, just let it sit for like 5 minutes and if it still doesn't post, reboot and wait again. It will eventually come around but like I said it might default to 2133. In which case you will be leaving performance on the table (might not matter if your target is 60 fps) unless you deal with manual RAM timings through the Ryzen DRAM calculator app and then hoping your motherboard BIOS is flexible enough for you to go in there and mess with the timings. I mean I am not buildzoid or anything like that but troubleshooting tech, reading endless forum posts and bios manuals, and watching youtube videos on fine-tuning doesn't scare me, but as a new Ryzen user, I decided to play it safe and buy RAM on my mobo's QVL just in case.

Motherboard QVL lists are annoyingly incomplete and often don't get updated as they add support. Most RAM is fine for 2nd-gen Ryzen now and the B450 Pro4 is on that particular kit's QVL list, so I wouldn't worry about that choice in particular! 3rd-gen Ryzen seems like they potentially have more issues (though still relatively rare), but it's definitely worth looking at both the board's and ram's QVL list because one or the other may not be up-to-date.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 29, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been only using Crucial RAM since 2002 and they have never failed me. So it's irrational but it works. Just buy Crucial. They are usually cheap too.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Stickman posted:

Motherboard QVL lists are annoyingly incomplete and often don't get updated as they add support. Most RAM is fine for 2nd-gen Ryzen now and the B450 Pro4 is on that particular kit's QVL list, so I wouldn't worry about that choice in particular! 3rd-gen Ryzen seems like they potentially have more issues (though still relatively rare), but it's definitely worth looking at both the board's and ram's QVL list because one or the other may not be up-to-date.

I agree that is unlikely to cause issues even if it isn't on the QVL. I just really hate to see Goons run into trouble and I feel paying an extra 10-15 bucks for QVL approved RAM isn't a terrible idea and should be presented as a choice for those who want to maximize the "it just works" percentage. I feel particularly bad for Fetus who basically doesn't have a working system right now and we couldn't help him.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

What are the current recs for budget SATA SSDs now? Not looking for any special performance, just want to throw one into my mother's laptop to replace her crappy HDD and maybe throw an extra drive into mine for game storage.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

MikeC posted:

I agree that is unlikely to cause issues even if it isn't on the QVL. I just really hate to see Goons run into trouble and I feel paying an extra 10-15 bucks for QVL approved RAM isn't a terrible idea and should be presented as a choice for those who want to maximize the "it just works" percentage. I feel particularly bad for Fetus who basically doesn't have a working system right now and we couldn't help him.

Definitely agree on Fetus, but I'm about as confident as I could be that their issue isn't a QVL ram issue (and like the G.Skill it's been compatibility tested by Crucial). At the very least, check the memory manufacturer's compatibility lists as well.

E: Just found this thread with a bad reset button wire causing random restarts. Epic Doctor Fetus, if you're still reading this thread and want to give one more non-RMA thing a go, try disconnecting your reset button.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

DoA parts are also just a thing that happens. They're not super common and it's impossible to diagnose which part is bad without spares (and a bitch and a half when you do). It's a small but unavoidable risk when buying computer parts no matter who you're buying from or what you're buying.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Khizan posted:

What are the current recs for budget SATA SSDs now? Not looking for any special performance, just want to throw one into my mother's laptop to replace her crappy HDD and maybe throw an extra drive into mine for game storage.

M.2 or 2.5", and what size?

Adata su800/su750, Crucial mx500, and the Samsung Evo 860 are all good. There's not too much in the way of savings to be had by going cheaper, but often decent NVMe drives like the Sabrent Rocket, Silicon Power A80, Inland Premium, or HP ex920 will be about the same price.

The Intel 660p is also a decent NVMe choice for a non-system drive if it's cheaper than other options. Just be aware that it's QLC memory rather than TLC so it's a bit slower than other good budget NVMe drives, has lower (but still good) write endurance, and could slow down writing large files when the drive is >75% full. It should still be a bit faster than SATA drives, though!

E: Are you in the US?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 29, 2019

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Starting my watch list so I can scoop certain items up on sale.

I'll probably put my 970 into the rig until I see a sale on a 2070 super or get a bonus cheque.

Comments/Recommendations? I'd like to stay Intel for now. This is all Canadian pricing.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($498.25 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($248.99 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($94.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($128.99 @ PC-Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($664.99 @ PC-Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1800.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-28 20:33 EDT-0400

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks good except you should grab the HP EX920 1tb instead. I'm certain price drops are coming for Intels soon with the new release.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Stickman posted:

M.2 or 2.5", and what size?

Adata su800/su750, Crucial mx500, and the Samsung Evo 860 are all good. There's not too much in the way of savings to be had by going cheaper, but often decent NVMe drives like the Sabrent Rocket, Silicon Power A80, Inland Premium, or HP ex920 will be about the same price.

The Intel 660p is also a decent NVMe choice for a non-system drive if it's cheaper than other options. Just be aware that it's QLC memory rather than TLC so it's a bit slower than other good budget NVMe drives, has lower (but still good) write endurance, and could slow down writing large files when the drive is >75% full. It should still be a bit faster than SATA drives, though!

E: Are you in the US?

In the US, and 2.5".

Just looking for something in the ~256 range for my mother, 1TB for myself. I don't really care about performance where the 256 is concerned, just reliability and lifespan. She doesn't use it for anything other than general internet and word processing, and I'm really just replacing the HDD because I'm tired of it taking 7 minutes to boot up. The 1TB for my computer is primarily for game storage, so I'm willing to spend a bit more on that one if it really provides notable performance increases.

Thanks much for the help.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Khizan posted:

In the US, and 2.5".

Just looking for something in the ~256 range for my mother, 1TB for myself. I don't really care about performance where the 256 is concerned, just reliability and lifespan. She doesn't use it for anything other than general internet and word processing, and I'm really just replacing the HDD because I'm tired of it taking 7 minutes to boot up. The 1TB for my computer is primarily for game storage, so I'm willing to spend a bit more on that one if it really provides notable performance increases.

I've had success with the Kingston A400 series.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Looks good except you should grab the HP EX920 1tb instead. I'm certain price drops are coming for Intels soon with the new release.

Any reason for the HP EX920? I've been going to a lot of vendor events and Seagate has been hitting the circuit pretty hard.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The HP is fast, super durable with an insane 650tb write lifetime, and has a 5 year warranty. It's reviewed very well. I've literally never heard of Seagate SSDs so I wouldn't want to be a guinea pig for their stuff. Any of the ones that Stickman mentions above are also good. You won't really be able to tell the difference in speed. You do want 1TB and not 512.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 29, 2019

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

The HP is fast, super durable with an insane 650tb write lifetime, and has a 5 year warranty. It's reviewed very well. I've literally never heard of Seagate SSDs so I wouldn't want to be a guinea pig for their stuff. Any of the ones that Stickman mentions above are also good. You won't really be able to tell the difference in speed. You do want 1TB and not 512.

Makes sense. Price point is pretty great too.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

m.hache posted:

Starting my watch list so I can scoop certain items up on sale.

I'll probably put my 970 into the rig until I see a sale on a 2070 super or get a bonus cheque.

Comments/Recommendations? I'd like to stay Intel for now. This is all Canadian pricing.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($498.25 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($248.99 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($94.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($128.99 @ PC-Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($664.99 @ PC-Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1800.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-28 20:33 EDT-0400

Did a quick check on the parts list and I have the following message:
The Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

Should I jump the thing up to a 750W, or can I just get an extra 4-pin cable since it's modular?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Khizan posted:

In the US, and 2.5".

At 256GB I'd probably spend the extra $3 for the Adata su800 over the Kingston A400. It almost triples the write endurance (200TBW vs 80TBW) and performs quite a bit better. The 500GB su750 is just $20 more, though, if you think she'd want more storage space for pictures or whatever.

For a 1TB game storage, the best 2.5" option is the 1TB version of the su800. The mx500 and evo 860 are both quite a bit more expensive.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 29, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

m.hache posted:

Did a quick check on the parts list and I have the following message:
The Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

Should I jump the thing up to a 750W, or can I just get an extra 4-pin cable since it's modular?

You'd be fine with the 650W - you'd have to have a serious overclock to even get close to maxing out an 8-pin EPS cable. If you want to get into serious overclocking and maybe toss in a 9900k at some point, it could be worth it, though you'd still be well into diminishing returns by the time you maxed out your psu.

The Seagate Compute series are Samsung Pro competitors - designed to be reliable and extremely fast at very large file manipulation, but also extremely expensive. They also don't really offer any benefits over cheaper NVMe drives for gaming (and NVMe drives are only a marginal improvement over SATA ssds).

E: If you're not trying to push absolute max fps at lower resolutions or with settings turned down, you won't see too much of a performance difference between a 9700k and a 3600 right now. If you could use the ~$270-380 you save on a 3600 for something else like a nice monitor upgrade, it might be worth considering. You can always drop in a 3700x several years down the road when 6/12 processors start feeling anemic.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 29, 2019

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Stickman posted:

You'd be fine with the 650W - you'd have to have a serious overclock to even get close to maxing out an 8-pin EPS cable. If you want to get into serious overclocking and maybe toss in a 9900k at some point, it could be worth it, though you'd still be well into diminishing returns by the time you maxed out your psu.

The Seagate Compute series are Samsung Pro competitors - designed to be reliable and extremely fast at very large file manipulation, but also extremely expensive. They also don't really offer any benefits over cheaper NVMe drives for gaming (and NVMe drives are only a marginal improvement over SATA ssds).

E: If you're not trying to push absolute max fps at lower resolutions or with settings turned down, you won't see too much of a performance difference between a 9700k and a 3600 right now. If you could use the ~$270-380 you save on a 3600 for something else like a nice monitor upgrade, it might be worth considering. You can always drop in a 3700x several years down the road when 6/12 processors start feeling anemic.

I'm going to build an Alt build with the AMD chipset and compare. I think I saw one up there with a 3900x that I'll swap out and play with.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Mu Zeta posted:

Noctua released a black D15 cooler just in time.

Reminds me to grab some of those white Chromax caps for mine to match my white H500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

MikeC posted:

*RAM stuff*

This very informative post actually made me check my RAM speed since I naively assumed that they ran at their rated speed. I didn't know those speeds were sanctioned overclocking. Anyways it was automatically configured to 2133mhz. After spending hours dicking around with the Ryzen DRAM calculator and manually setting the speed and timings (and also using the XMP profile), I wasn't able to get my memory to run at its rated speed of 3200mhz or slightly lower speeds. Only managed to get away with a mild overclock to 2400mhz via MSI's "Memory Try It!" auto-overclocking feature. I'm doing 75fps 1440p gaming max and they say GPU bottleneck kicks in at that point so I don't think I'm leaving a lot of performance on the table.

The kit I have is the G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVK which is paired with an MSI B450i, in case anyone wants to avoid this combo.