Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Outer Worlds is only mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The Outer Worlds is only mediocre.

this is the consensus, i thought

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If the Outer Worlds thread in Games is anything to go by, that's a popular opinion.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It’s really good at some things and really bad at other things and some people think saying that means you hate it rather than you’re bitterly disappointed in it’s squandered potential

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bring back gold box style games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuarkJets posted:

It's the lonely dudes who are the most likely to wind up on the kinds of forums where alt-right groups do most of their recruitment.

The alt-right actively seek those places out to recruit there. They're pretty successful since they have almost no competition for that demographic at all.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chomp8645 posted:

Are they all Call of Duty bros calling people gay slurs on xbox live? Are they all playing Paradox games and just coincidentally putting in a lot of time as Germany and/or crusaders? 4000 hours in Skyrim after a trip to lovers lab? What is Chud Gaming like???

hawaiian cryptonationalists who play civ 5 as polynesia exclusively

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It’s really good at some things and really bad at other things and some people think saying that means you hate it rather than you’re bitterly disappointed in it’s squandered potential

the problem is that it's not good at any of the things Obsidian is supposed to be good at

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

If the Outer Worlds thread in Games is anything to go by, that's a popular opinion.

I stopped reading it during the honeymoon phase because I thought the game was pretty terrible, the attitude must have turned.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The alt-right actively seek those places out to recruit there. They're pretty successful since they have almost no competition for that demographic at all.

They also are misogynists preaching to the choir, and telling these lonely proto-incels it's not their fault, it's all society and feminism.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

food court bailiff posted:

BF:BC2 is still one of my favorite multiplayer shooters of all time, and I keep getting random Battlefield games used to try to chase that dragon and none of them have measured up. :(

same. i bought BF3, 4 and One and maybe played 15h of them combined

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The thing I miss most about Battlefield is that it used to feel like I could actually uh, do things. I could hop into a tank and blow people up, or alternately, I could run around as an engineer and blow tanks and helis and planes up by myself etc. no problem. In BF1 and especially BF5 I just feel loving useless. I used to pride myself in being a tank killer, but I feel like I can't do poo poo against them in BF5. I throw like 3 C4s on a tank and put a mine in front of it and it still doesn't do enough damage for it not to just turn around and blow me to hell. But I also feel useless when I'm driving a tank, just laying into guys with shells and they just walk off. I also get blown up constantly.

Maybe this is just a long winded way of saying I suck at BF5. But I feel like it's impossible to have fun with any of the machines unless you treat it like it a second job and get really good with them. As a somewhat casual BF player these days everything just feels horribly underpowered and unfun.

The only way I can have anything resembling fun in BF5 is just running around shooting guys and trying to totally avoid anything else, and it's like, why am I even playing battlefield if I can't enjoy any of the stuff in it?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i havent bothered to look at the vietnam expansion, but there are still some bc2 servers up if you want to play. i still load it up every once in a while

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Gamepads are far superior to mouse and keyboard. Only uncoordinated cowards need the help of a mouse on an FPS

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Play posted:

Gamepads are far superior to mouse and keyboard. Only uncoordinated cowards need the help of a mouse on an FPS

:hmmyes:

also they can be used on the couch

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Play posted:

that's like driving a car with a touch screen instead of a steering wheel

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The best way to play a FPS is with a VR set, they just need to make a good FPS for it and computer that can run it smoothly now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Play posted:

I'm not gonna pretend gamepad is superior to m/k in fps, but yes on the whole I love chilling on the couch with a gamepad compared to having to use m/k. If I could do it all the time I would

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Death Stranding is a good game

im sure someone else here already claimed that one so it might not be unpopular after all

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Gran Turismo Sport using the DS4's motion controllers to steer is actually pretty good, like not wheel-good, but way way better than the thumbstick. I'm tempted to just figure out how to use this for a bunch of racing games instead of getting my wheel back from my parents' house.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I don't play many console FPS games lately but it's only bearable with a massive aim assist turned on, that usually brings back old memories of turning on aimbots in lovely free korean FPS games though.

Oh, an unpopular gaming opinion of mine is I actually liked the doofy car handling in GTA 4.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Trying to use a scope in pvp or whatever with a game pad makes me feel like a huge clumsy idiot but if a game has enough emphasis on mobility and positioning over aiming they’re usually more fun with a game pad even if I’d probably be more competitive with a mouse and keyboard. For example Titanfall 2 feels way more fun on a game pad even if you can’t aim for poo poo so I still hook it up for single player

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

PinheadSlim posted:

I don't play many console FPS games lately but it's only bearable with a massive aim assist turned on, that usually brings back old memories of turning on aimbots in lovely free korean FPS games though.

Oh, an unpopular gaming opinion of mine is I actually liked the doofy car handling in GTA 4.

If a game's main mechanic is aiming I won't play it on console as a rule, I'd use my ps4 more but after eliminating shooters and JRPGs the console doesn't have a ton to offer.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The thing about a gamepad is that its designed for chillaxing and video games, the thing about a keyboard is that it was designed for typing letters on a typewriter

The aim assist doesn't really matter online if everyone has the same assist and it stops people from doing weird silly 180 degree whips.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

The beat em up genre is great when you're mashing buttons with your friends in the arcade and completely terrible outside of that.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Preaching to the choir, I've tried using an adhoc analog + mouse scheme but it's always too janky to reliably use.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

PinheadSlim posted:

:hfive:

It really nails that “come on you stupid hunk of loving junk!” feeling of driving a real (lovely) car.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

piratepilates posted:

Gran Turismo Sport using the DS4's motion controllers to steer is actually pretty good, like not wheel-good, but way way better than the thumbstick. I'm tempted to just figure out how to use this for a bunch of racing games instead of getting my wheel back from my parents' house.

https://ryochan7.github.io/ds4windows-site/

I haven't used it for racing games, but it worked extremely well for motion controls in Wii/WiiU emulation

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 13, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

The thing about a gamepad is that its designed for chillaxing and video games, the thing about a keyboard is that it was designed for typing letters on a typewriter

The aim assist doesn't really matter online if everyone has the same assist and it stops people from doing weird silly 180 degree whips.

Yeah typewriters, those things well-known for having a Print Screen key

I kid though, gamepads are fine but they're not very useful for precision movement and gently caress trying to play a strategy game with one. Like trying to paint a portrait with a paint roller. I think it's better to use the right (e.g most fun) tool for the right job: sometimes that's a gamepad, sometimes it's not

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah typewriters, those things well-known for having a Print Screen key

I kid though, gamepads are fine but they're not very useful for precision movement and gently caress trying to play a strategy game with one. Like trying to paint a portrait with a paint roller. I think it's better to use the right (e.g most fun) tool for the right job: sometimes that's a gamepad, sometimes it's not

if the steam controller had a second stick I would use it for very nearly every game in existence, super-accurate tracking pads on a controller is such a good idea

as it stands though it is still a testament to strategy games being very doable with a controller built with more than just FPSes in mind

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i honestly think valve kind of dumping the steam controller is when i started really loathing them as a company

that and them going “welp its just impossible to not allow all these rape games on our platform so we’re not even gonna attempt content moderation”, which to this day makes me really side-eye anyone freaking out about having to download another storefront launcher for any given game. clearly the monopoly steam has is straight up toxic and has been for ages

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Valve started being a lovely company when they made it clear they weren't going to make a third half life game because a single player shooter wouldn't be profitable enough for them to bother, and instead concentrated on hats.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Artifact

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been using a mouse regularly for the last few months for the first time in my life, and I'm somewhat converted, but I'll never use a keyboard to play games (unless it's an RTS or something). Just an absolutely awful feeling way to play a video game unless you have stockholm syndrome from using one for years. Mouse and one handed controller is pretty fun for FPS though. I'd still rather play almost any other kind of game with a controller.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Controllers are poo poo for FPS games. M+KB any day. Moving from PS4 Destiny 2 to PC is like playing a completely different (better) game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I bet I could shred most of you mouse mooks with a controller any day of the week

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

I bet I could shred most of you mouse mooks with a controller any day of the week

aim assist off...b1tch

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

veni veni veni posted:

Just an absolutely awful feeling way to play a video game unless you have stockholm syndrome from using one for years
lol

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The battlefield series hasn't been good for years because they made the ttk insanely short. It's like playing cod except you can get killed from any direction including the sky

It never feels like you are really in control or that tactics matter, you can execute a flank and still get one tapped from across the map just before you start getting kills. All the maps are these weird kill corridors split up by no mans land that's usually full of tanks. There's no point trying to be smart, just spawn, rush, die, repeat.

The older battlefields involved a lot more thought around where you were attacking or defending and how you were doing it. There was a line of balance between playing riskier to secure a bunch of kills by moving all around the map or staying to hold points for your team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

site posted:

I'm not gonna pretend gamepad is superior to m/k in fps, but yes on the whole I love chilling on the couch with a gamepad compared to having to use m/k. If I could do it all the time I would

solution grow a fupa, learn to trackball. bam instant kb+m on the couch