Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Why is the chromecast overheating? If it is just receiving video to display and not processing the controller through it how is it any different than watching 4k HDR on netflix? In both cases it is just receiving and displaying a video stream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

D-Pad posted:

Why is the chromecast overheating? If it is just receiving video to display and not processing the controller through it how is it any different than watching 4k HDR on netflix? In both cases it is just receiving and displaying a video stream?

they can overheat when playing regular video too

https://www.google.com/search?q=chromecast+overheating+-stadia

stadia just brought more attention to the problem

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 24, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Pathos posted:

I am actually struggling to believe the “taping heat sinks to it” solution.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rinkles posted:

man, google's a rubbish company, isn't it?

Like that is the thing that can not be stressed enough. Google isn't a 'tech company'. They are absolutely poo poo as a tech company. They are mediocre at most forms of coding. They are a data gathering resource for large corporations. They exist to sell your information to other corporations to exploit for profit. That's all they have. They are absolutely, positively terrible at everything else.

They just got so much money whoring data that it gave them an inflated sense of self worth. They have never made a single thing of value in the entire run of their corporation. That's impressive when you think about it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Can't wait for the Clan version of the Chromecast to be able to mount those sick double heatsinks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Stadia's video stream is using 20 GB per hour, netflix 4k uses 7 GB per hour. So that's working the video decoder and the wifi harder. Also people frequently play games for longer continuous time than they watch movies.

So if they sometimes overheat from normal video, it would follow that they'd overheat a lot more often doing Stadia duty.

everything about this launch is just lol

Mulva posted:

They have never made a single thing of value in the entire run of their corporation.

I guess you're too young to remember when we had to use yahoo?

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 24, 2019

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

This is truly wonderful. Thank you. This takes me back to the early days of the Bone. I’m so glad.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I never managed to get my chromecasts working right, even after changing phones and wlan boxes they would always stop responding after a while and require hard reboots to stop streaming.

Now I just have a media pc instead. Thanks google.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How's this gonna do on 80mbps down 20 up at 7ms?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Fine, but there's no reason to think it'll be any better than Geforce Now or xCloud, both of which have much stronger value propositions. Go hop in the betas for those.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mulva posted:

Like that is the thing that can not be stressed enough. Google isn't a 'tech company'. They are absolutely poo poo as a tech company. They are mediocre at most forms of coding. They are a data gathering resource for large corporations. They exist to sell your information to other corporations to exploit for profit. That's all they have. They are absolutely, positively terrible at everything else.

They just got so much money whoring data that it gave them an inflated sense of self worth. They have never made a single thing of value in the entire run of their corporation. That's impressive when you think about it.

They're an advertisement company

Though Page Rank was pretty good, people forget how lovely search engines used to be

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

Klyith posted:

They were able to buy a new code that worked from a viewer. Their original code got caught in limbo because they use a google org email.

That doesn't even make any sense, smells like more bullshit. There's no way for a code to be caught in limbo. The code is not tied to the email you ordered the bundle with and wouldn't have activated prior on the gsuite account.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hostile apostle posted:

That doesn't even make any sense, smells like more bullshit. There's no way for a code to be caught in limbo. The code is not tied to the email you ordered the bundle with and wouldn't have activated prior on the gsuite account.

what a weird person you are

why would anyone lie about this

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
He's not claiming they're lying. He's claiming they're too inept to figure out what the hell Google wants them to do, which is entirely possible and also a fault of google, not GN.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

https://twitter.com/bryce_xxxl/status/1198689340441935872?s=21

Not mine, but I thought it was pretty wonderful

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Klyith posted:

I guess you're too young to remember when we had to use yahoo?

I remember when online games charged by the minute and telephone calls dropped your rear end offline. I stand by my point.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hostile apostle posted:

makes a custom latency-testing mouse with a LED for accurate testing with high-speed video

can't figure out how to activate a code

how hard can you possibly shill?

and btw you still haven't addressed the results of the controller adding 25-50ms latency via wifi. is that bullshit too?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

:captainpop:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Mulva posted:

You can certainly argue that we'd be better off without Chrome and Android and Gmail and Google Voice and Google Maps and Youtube TV and and and but they're definitely not valueless

wyoak fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 24, 2019

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mulva posted:

That could only have been written by someone who doesn't remember the days of Altavista and Yahoo being the best game around in search - and frankly who Bings things? Google quite genuinely got there by providing a much better web search than anyone else, and by their advertising on the search with Google Keywords actually being useful. Most of the work on Google Maps was done while it was owned by Google. And Google Drive is pretty good.

I'm not sure that they've done anything useful since the Alphabet restructuring - and the key mistake people make about understanding Google is that they are not a tech company - they are an advertising company with something like 85% of their income coming from advertising. But Google made it to the top by taking something everyone using the web needed and doing it better than anyone else.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Digital Foundry on this thing is an interesting watch. Like, it seems very convenient and also like it works fine.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yahoo mail was better in 2013 than gmail is even today

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Did you all forget how awful web email clients were before gmail and how their storage size limits was in the double digit megabytes, or how the ones before google maps were awful, or how hilariously useless was babelfish before google translate.

not to defend google but they did do some cool stuff, but they haven't really for a decade anymore.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I got on the Gmail "beta" and I found it to be better from day dot than other free email. I like Google though because I'm a sicko so idk maybe there are better emails around these days.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Google used to do new and innovative things that only mildly ripped off other existing websites and ideas, and then social media took off and left the station without them and they've been running after the train going "noooooo come baaaack" holding their hat and briefcase ever since

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
naw, gmail's great and search is still great. They really don't have a lot of competition there, I think they're just, as a company, bored, rich and stupid. They're kind of trying to do the Apple thing where they barge into a young but already established industry and act like they invented it, except honestly nobody even buys that from Apple anymore.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inbox was better. And they killed that off earlier this year.

I like Keep, but it's so slow to load up on Chrome these days, and there hasn't been any major updates to it. Which makes me think they're gonna kill that off soon too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

90% the only reason they keep Gmail around (with large storage sizes) is because it gives them a massive amount of data to scrape.

Yup just think about it they've got your receipts for online orders or appointments or keywords and even have scraped your typing habits (remember how they launched predictive typing on it like a year or so ago?)

As said before Google is mainly a data company first and foremost. I can't see how stadia will give them enough data to use that they'd be interested in.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
All you people saying Google search is still the king, are you sure about that, because Google is now trying to hide urls and domain names in search as well as making the promoted ads look just like regular results

They've been testing this on Chrome since probably mid 2018 but it's pretty clearly a goal of theirs to make google amp be an internet search standard, aka another way they want to control what you see when you search for things and use that information against you to show you ads

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Well yeah, they're still the king, sorry. We all know what their game is, and to what lows they'll stoop to play it, but there isn't really a better option.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
well that is just a terrible way to look at things as a consumer

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
if bing stopped giving me useless or spam results I would use it more, as is I have to go to page 2 on bing to find my result, if it is even in there and skip the first results of malware.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mulva posted:

They are mediocre at most forms of coding.
Which is kind of curious. Back when they started up and were skyrocketing in fame, it seemed pretty hard to get into, due to pretty tricky to pass interviews. You'd figure that'd come with appropriate skills. I guess not so (anymore?)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Bing's alright and were the first to do that context search of bringing up something's Wikipedia / IMDb / etc if I remember right. But you can also use DuckDuckGo or Start Page and I find the former is 95% as good as the search giants.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 25, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Everything cool you care to name about google is probably the result of them buying someone out 13 years ago and coasting ever since. Maps, Android, a lot of their "Yeah but this is good!" stuff goes that way, and because of how stupid they've been getting over the years they are actively slipping. Google search market share peaked like 7 years ago, and they've lost like 10% since that point. They are still far and away the top of the heap, but they aren't trending in a great direction. Nothing they do is really.

And that's kind of insane, because it'd take the least amount of money and effort to coast at the top, instead they are somehow actively threatening their position somehow.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Bing's alright and we're the first to do that context search of bringing up something's Wikipedia / IMDb / etc if I remember right. But you can also use DuckDuckGo or Start Page and I find the former is 95% as good as the search giants.

That's what I do. DuckDuckGo and Bing.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

CJacobs posted:

well that is just a terrible way to look at things as a consumer

It's just reality. I use DuckDuckGo and as much FOSS as i can cram into my personal life, but I'm not going to stop using Googles ad services and groupware for my company as long as the ROI makes sense. If you want real change, vote with your vote, not with your dollar. Join a local broadband advocacy group, give money to the EFF, vote for Bernie Sanders in the dem primary.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

CJacobs posted:

All you people saying Google search is still the king, are you sure about that, because Google is now trying to hide urls and domain names in search as well as making the promoted ads look just like regular results

They've been testing this on Chrome since probably mid 2018 but it's pretty clearly a goal of theirs to make google amp be an internet search standard, aka another way they want to control what you see when you search for things and use that information against you to show you ads

Oh right yeah that. It annoyed the gently caress out of me when they were obfuscating the urls in searches and it's seemingly just gone away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Which is kind of curious. Back when they started up and were skyrocketing in fame, it seemed pretty hard to get into, due to pretty tricky to pass interviews. You'd figure that'd come with appropriate skills. I guess not so (anymore?)
The people I remember trumpeting their Google interviews in university were all very bright but, with few exceptions, abrasive turbospergs. It was exceptionally difficult just to get an interview let alone pass one, and they will look at your transcripts well into your adult life. Once there some people really do drink the Kool-Aid by the gallon as evidenced by the leaked Google+ death rattle memo from awhile back.

All of that being said, which team did James Damore work for? :v:

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 25, 2019