Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

MJeff posted:

From the second they revealed Rey is Sheev's granddaughter, all I could think was "this goes back on TLJ and adds NOTHING to the movie". But apparently they needed it for this loving Force Dyad thing, so can somebody explain what the hell a Force Dyad is and why we needed Rey to have a super special bloodline for it?

It's the Newtype mind meld from Gundam. Basically not-Jedis sometimes encounter other not-Jedis that they become pair bonded with due to being on the same psychic wavelength. The end result is basically what happened between Kylo and Rey except you can't transfer items and instead of seeing the other's surroundings you both start tripping hard. It almost always happens between enemies who end up trying to kill each other. It's great for moving the plot along because a Newtype hero or villain can go "ah my counterpart is heading to such and such to do this and that" and no one bothers to ask how they learned that or why they hadn't known that earlier because that's just how Newtypes work. You might have noticed some of that in Rise of Skywalker.

Don't know why they needed a special bloodline though. That's all JJ.

After decades of Gundam taking from Star Wars (the not-Vader whose theme that is first shows up in a not-Star Destroyer) it was about time Star Wars stole from Gundam. I just wish it had been the beam javelin instead of any of the Newtype stuff.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Don't worry with 16 and 10 years between the current trilogies, it's probably half a dozen before the next one

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

one of the bigger disappointments of the ST is the near total lack of unique space ships and other vehicles. everything's just a slight redesign of OT stuff. sucks

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can someone recommend me some good space battle stuff, like clips or compilations? Just something to enjoy.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

download rogue squadron

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

psyman posted:

In an ironic way, I think all of the mindless bandwagon loathing of the PT on the web and these forums (even still in this thread) is exactly why the sequel trilogy has turned out to be so lame. It really seems to have been designed to spite the prequels by avoiding everything in them, instead of identifying what worked for audiences and combining the strongest parts of the OT with the strongest of the PT.

The prequels had a lot of flaws, wooden acting, etc, but at least Episodes 2 & 3 lived up to the “Wars” part by advancing military science-fiction design with many more interesting planets and vehicles (nothing in the ST matches the Republic Gunships for exciting action scenes) and Ep 3 in particular is still a gorgeous film.

ST has wonderful set designs, cinematography for the non space battle scenes and the banter is quite witty at times. It fails in coherent space battles, interesting lightsaber duels and plot.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Turns out the ultimate power in the universe is "having two lightsabers"

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Pollyanna posted:

What broke my brain is that people like this film.

Yeah I read posts of people crying after the movie because they were so full of emotions and it couldn't have ended any more perfectly and they are adamant it doesn't retcon anything from TLJ (despite the visual metaphor literally showing us Kylo supergluing his helmet back together that was destroyed in an important moment of character development in TLJ). And to them if you dont like it then you're just upset because you have entitlement for the story you didn't get. Like I know things are subjective and all that, and I'm glad they found it enjoyable - I would have liked to as well. But its still bewildering.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 21, 2019

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Surprised they cast Jodie Comer as Rey’s mother and only gave her a few scenes and no dialog. Makes me wonder if they have prequel plans...

After seeing her on Killing Eve I think she’d be a great fit doing some Jedi poo poo.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 21, 2019

Kite
May 29, 2003

BUT HEY, I'M BIG IN JAPAN!
I just really like the idea that Rey changes her name at the end of the movie, because if she had kept it Palpatine, she would have essentially told an old lady her name was "Rey Hitler". That's my only take.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 28, 2023

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

frogbs posted:

Surprised they cast Jodie Comer as Rey’s mother and only gave her a few scenes and no dialog. Makes me wonder if they have prequel plans...

After seeing her on Killing Eve I think she’d be a great fit doing some Jedi poo poo.

Can’t wait for them to re-release episodes 7-9 as 10-12

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Hobo Clown posted:

So was that JJ's plan all along and he never bothered to tell anyone? Or was Rian Johnson well aware and he decided to toss it anyway and there was nothing Disney could do about it?

I'm almost 100% positive that these movies were written one at a time.

rey was a palpatine and snoke was plagueis. abrams claims he gave notes to johnson, johnson claims he didn't.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

That was a one second shot of wedge right or did I imagine that

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I did love how Lando almost solely existed to poo poo on Poe. Poe sitting besides Leia's body being all "I'm not ready for this" and Lando comes in "nope!" then Poe is in his ship saying "Im sorry we lost" and Lando flys in "nope!" then Poe realises Finn is still on the star destroyer and is gonna fly down to pick him up when Lando speeds past him "nope!"

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

For bonus points Vader's redemption and sacrifice was retconned to be completely worthless!

As far as I can tell that's what happened?

This movie was dumb.

Anakin was destined to bring balance to the force by destroying the overwhelming forces of evil through the ultimate act of sacrifice to save the life of his son.

Anakin was destined to bring balance to the force by temporarily inconveniencing the overwhelming forces of evil through the ultimate act of sacrifice to save the life of his son. That son will then inadvertently cast out his nephew, who will then be lured to the dark side by his imaginary friend, Anakin-but-completely-evil (who is actually the overwhelming force of evil speaking via force trickery). This will lead the nephew to form a force dyad with the overwhelming force of evil's granddaughter, which ultimately results in all the sith being killed by all the jedi, and the nephew will reject the dark side by making the ultimate act of sacrifice to save the life of his beloved. Truly, Anakin was destined to bring balance to the force.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hobo Clown posted:

So was that JJ's plan all along and he never bothered to tell anyone? Or was Rian Johnson well aware and he decided to toss it anyway and there was nothing Disney could do about it?

I'm almost 100% positive that these movies were written one at a time.

They didn't even have a basic outline ready when they went into this Trilogy. You can say that Lucas didn't either for the OT but he also didn't expect any past the original to be made. For gently caress's sake he was prepared to have a TV show instead, set on a foggy planet so they wouldn't have to show many props if any (That's the weird incest book between Leia and Luke). And when he did the prequels he absolutely had a known endpoint, so even if you don't like those films they at least told and built a story even if you felt that story was rushed through.

Here we got "We're throwing out the EU so as not to constrain any directors, and we'll give each film a new director." "Do we have a plan at all?" "Nope!"

And in the end, almost everything they did was either something directly from the OT, or from an EU book.

Honestly, the only interesting things happening with the Star Wars IP has been... not the films, it's been Rebels and other pieces of media.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
lolling at Vader's helmet crumbling to dust and no one giving the remotest poo poo about it. This film really went out of its way to dump on Anakin's grave, sheesh.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TTBF posted:

It's the Newtype mind meld from Gundam. Basically not-Jedis sometimes encounter other not-Jedis that they become pair bonded with due to being on the same psychic wavelength. The end result is basically what happened between Kylo and Rey except you can't transfer items and instead of seeing the other's surroundings you both start tripping hard. It almost always happens between enemies who end up trying to kill each other. It's great for moving the plot along because a Newtype hero or villain can go "ah my counterpart is heading to such and such to do this and that" and no one bothers to ask how they learned that or why they hadn't known that earlier because that's just how Newtypes work. You might have noticed some of that in Rise of Skywalker.

Don't know why they needed a special bloodline though. That's all JJ.

After decades of Gundam taking from Star Wars (the not-Vader whose theme that is first shows up in a not-Star Destroyer) it was about time Star Wars stole from Gundam. I just wish it had been the beam javelin instead of any of the Newtype stuff.
It's only fair since Star Wars took the speeder bike chase from Gundam

Pollyanna posted:

Can someone recommend me some good space battle stuff, like clips or compilations? Just something to enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfNlw5N0mio

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Seriously, Star Wars fans are the worst fans ever, of any media property in history. No other fandom can compare in terms of toxicity. It is absolutely gross.

I would argue that the Sequel Trilogy and Disney Star Wars fans are more toxic than George Lucas Star Wars fans.

And the most toxic of them all? That’s right, The last Jedi fans

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

thepokey posted:

Yeah I read posts of people crying after the movie because they were so full of emotions and it couldn't have ended any more perfectly and they are adamant it doesn't retcon anything from TLJ (despite the visual metaphor literally showing us Kylo supergluing his helmet back together that was destroyed in an important moment of character development in TLJ). And to them if you dont like it then you're just upset because you have entitlement for the story you didn't get. Like I know things are subjective and all that, and I'm glad they found it enjoyable - I would have liked to as well. But its still bewildering.

what they like is not the movie

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Apparently the internet has started to hate this movie, I have decided to change my gimmick.

This is the best star wars movies. It is how the series should be shown. Rey is a good role model for young girls and women across the world. She is THE skywalker, I mean how can you get better than that!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

MrMojok posted:

Seriously, Star Wars fans are the worst fans ever, of any media property in history. No other fandom can compare in terms of toxicity. It is absolutely gross.

Didn't Evangelion fans break into the guys house and threaten him because the ending was bad

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
And chewbacca man what a great part of the movie when he finally gets his medal.

AND DID YOU SEE THAT SITH LIGHTNING. BAAAAZZZAAAAPPPPP!!!!!!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

A rare meme view for a star wars nerd posting on the internet: every star wars film was good.
also here is my order of the films starting with the best:
E5
E9
E2
E6
E8
E3
E1
E4
E7

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

Didn't Evangelion fans break into the guys house and threaten him because the ending was bad

No, that did not happen. The popular myth is that they received death threats but honestly all they got was a bunch of emails from fans that were about appreciation for the series as well praise and encouragement.

https://wiki.evageeks.org/End_of_Evangelion_Death_Threats

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This was hands down the best star wars film.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

It’s certainly making the threads fun to thread so in that sense, it’s tremendously more entertaining than the last two.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Tenzarin posted:

Yeah, the way people say hands up don’t shoot!!!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Rey is also nothing like a Mary Sue, she goes through her training and she gains knowledge from Leia.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Ingmar terdman posted:

That was a one second shot of wedge right or did I imagine that

it was. and no joke, it was the only thing in the whole runtime that made me jump out of my seat in excitement

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Oh yeah, the endless slaughter of brainwashed child soldiers is immediately handwaved away by the little chat at endor. If they were actually good people they all would've just put down their guns and run away to become Mongols with cyber bows. So no need to worry about killing literal brainwashed soldiers.

It also really downplays Finn and her squad's breaking of the conditioning to say "oh yeah that was the force."

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Onmi posted:

Oh right. Everyone skips over what we learned Snoke did and how he corrupted Kylo. He was the Gardner at the Jedi temple who Luke scarred for "dome reason." And... That's it.

Pook Good Mook posted:

The First Order crewed the ships. Early in the movie they talk about upping child conscription and then the ship that blows up the planet has a child captain. The

Is any of this real? hahaha, I mean, it could be.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This movie was pants on head dumb. And I liked the first two.

TIN0
Oct 17, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do you guys think this trilogy is about?

Its about the Palptines eliminating the Skywalkers.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

TIN0 posted:

The most expensive directorial slapfight ever.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the thing i don't get about wedge, and i think sums up how weird and stupid this ST is, is they made him a falcon turret gunner

if you're going to bring the actor make to do a quick few shots so you can edit him into your bad film, why not put him back into a loving x-wing cockpit? go 110% with the fan service or don't bother

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

teagone posted:

Kennedy said George never wrote any screenplays. She did say he provided summaries of ideas he had in mind for other Star Wars movies, i.e., story treatments. Treatments are not scripts. They never used George's treatments and instead relied on Abrams and Ardnt to come up with the story for what would eventually become The Force Awakens.

Not entirely true about The Force Awakens. They did use George's script. His script for A New Hope. :downsrim:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Tenzarin posted:

Apparently the internet has started to hate this movie, I have decided to change my gimmick.

This is the best star wars movies. It is how the series should be shown. Rey is a good role model for young girls and women across the world. She is THE skywalker, I mean how can you get better than that!

Have you tried the gimmick of being a good poster?

TIN0 posted:

Merchandising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Star wars is about family.