Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Mr.PayDay posted:

It is beyond me how the SC “defenders” just can’t - literally - see it: SC is last gen graphics, and Cyperpunk might set the bar an inch higher, again, as well.

My explanation: Many of the SC backers did not play Games (especially not on Ultra Settings ) the last years.

This would make sense if you were both seeing the same thing. Your eyes tell you that the game looks mundane in screenshots and hilariously bad in motion, but citizens don't see with their eyes. They see with their dreams. Everyone talks about the game in a state that exists entirely within their minds. The dumpster fire that is the current "alpha" game might as well not exist because all that matters is what it could become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Just a reminder to anyone who didn’t see the 2016 leaked sq42 script or the vertical slice video that confirmed its real. Full Burn is a totally real song that NPCs will be singing and Sandi is an interactive character who seems to be the veteran hotshot with attitude.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Mailer posted:

This would make sense if you were both seeing the same thing. Your eyes tell you that the game looks mundane in screenshots and hilariously bad in motion, but citizens don't see with their eyes. They see with their dreams. Everyone talks about the game in a state that exists entirely within their minds. The dumpster fire that is the current "alpha" game might as well not exist because all that matters is what it could become.

True, and this is a fact I find quite interesting.
I mean, who didn't fantasize with his friends after school about "cool" game ideas, like "Counter Strike with completely destructible environment and vehicles!" because we played that Half-Life Mod and read an article about the first Red Faction. Or even tried to make games, back then in form of a Quake 3 "mod" where we increased the firing rate of the MG by increasing some number and loaded other weapon models. But we were about 15yrs old at that time and, as we all grew older, got a "feeling" about what a game can do and what not. I remember reading some Ultima 9 preview in a magazine, "see this mountain on the horizon? You can walk up to it if you want", instead of unreachable skyboxes we all knew from Quake. Yeah, this was mind blowing, nowadays it is totally standard and in all honesty, such open worlds did not contribute much to gaming in my opinion because up to this day they mostly feel bland and empty. You can always feel the artificial nature of it and the limitations. Then we saw dynamic day/night cycles, gigantic procedural worlds, nearly photo realistic graphics, branching stories, ... but in the end it all still felt gamey. But you know what? This is okay because after all, these are video games.

However, this fact seems to be completely lost on the Citizens. They really believe (or 'dream') that CR removes all these gamey elements: Real snow on spaceships, no artificial and limiting maps, real, working escalators and unlimited detail down to whiskey physics and nothing less than a living universe. This in itself is completely insane, not just from an economical perspective, but because it puts emphasis on things that are completely irrelevant to a fun game. However, Citizens seem to be stuck in that world most of us left in their teenage days and think that some fidelity and gimmick-y features make a good and enjoyable game. Basically, that whole thing died with the scope increase and everyone still giving them money at this point deserves it.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Mr.PayDay posted:

Star Citizen: 2500+ days in development without a game developed

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MilesK posted:

Sandi is an interactive character who seems to be the veteran hotshot with attitude.

See, this is why I really hope the game comes out. I'm sure it's comedy gold

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

Because for as much as they like to claim "ReAlIsTiC sPaCe SiM" everything Chris Roberts has ever done has been a ripoff of some movie or another and having tons of SPACE FOG is cinematic as hell

space fog hides a lot of poo poo too

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Mailer posted:

Are you trying to imply this is a bad thing?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

ggangensis posted:

However, Citizens seem to be stuck in that world most of us left in their teenage days and think that some fidelity and gimmick-y features make a good and enjoyable game. Basically, that whole thing died with the scope increase and everyone still giving them money at this point deserves it.

This is me and cinematics. I remember playing FF7 and loving it but thinking it would be so much cooler with more CINEMATICS and CUTSCENES but now I hate having gameplay interrupted by long-rear end cutscenes and I generally think that Hollywood shouldn't be informing how games tell stories.

I no longer have the link, but there was a fascinating blog about a developer who worked for Active Worlds, a virtual world that predated Second Life. Investors wanted to create a virtual mall in this primitive 3D chat program and they had no idea what the limitations on the average user were. They looked at pre-rendered footage of virtual lobbies and assumed users would be able to navigate them in real time, walk into virtual stores, grab digital items off of shelves, place them in their simulated carts, and walk to the next store. They were so focused on making a SIMULATION it never occurred to them that

A. It wasn't possible.
B. It ignored all the advantages of online shopping entirely.

It reminded me so much of Star Citizen. Stupid goals, SIMULATIONS, and lots of money.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 27, 2019

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Elderbean posted:

This is me and cinematics. I remember playing FF7 and loving it but thinking it would be so much cooler with more CINEMATICS and CUTSCENES but now I hate having gameplay interrupted by long-rear end cutscenes and I generally think that Hollywood shouldn't be informing how games tell stories.

I basically agree with that, but FF nostalgia makes me want to carve out an exception for overwrought anime style cutscenes.

A cutscene with Gary Parpman, with Cloud-style hair, on a Chocobo, would really make me look at SQ42 in a new way.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just came here to remind everyone to call their parents and that anime is good.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Hope everyone had a very merry christmas spent with friends and/or family and if you didnt why the gently caress didnt you message me so i could chill with you while we play through Halo Reach or gently caress around in Warframe or some poo poo?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
So...

Chris tossed out that Squadron 42 visuals hodgepodge for one reason only. He did it to change the Squadron 42 narrative that he himself created with their catastrophic 2019 roadmap.

The citizenry, unsurprisingly, reacted in ecstasy. Many of the same would’ve been grousing about things only a couple of weeks ago. Reddit threads about Squadron have been full of these sorts of lines for months.

“Why won’t they tell us anything?”

With the hodgepodge, Chris told them exactly nothing except that he’d recently seen a Marvel movie. Even so, the hodgepodge was a top 50 YouTube trender with nearly 400k views so far. Chris is surely happy to see these sorts of comments in reply:

quote:

“Looks like they are keeping S42 under tight wraps while showing off with SC. That teaser definitely showed more game assets then what they have been showing in their SC demos. Still hyped going into 2020, its gonna be a great year.”

quote:

“I can't describe how much I appreciate all of the work you have put into this. just thank you so much and merry christmas to all of you at CIG.”

quote:

“starts getting tired of waiting yesterday, watches new trailer today Alright Chris, I'll keep waiting.”

quote:

”Beautiful. love how this game is maturing with the times, never looks dated and the cut scenes match the gameplay. The slow cook method is paying off big time!! It looked promising from the start. Now we enter the age of machine learning and augmented reality, the future looks bright.”

Yes, machine learning... (You’re the machine, bro, learning to get excited by the “augmented reality” that everything is great in Squadron land.)

Alas, there are realists in the mix, too:

quote:

“So, does this mean we can expect news about the Squadron in the near future...? The roadmap hasn't been meaningfully touched since the swap over to staggered dev, and since then with the roadmap floundering, a lot of the community has become rather disillusioned since the lack of news implies delays being needed as little progress has been observable. This is supported by you announcing yet more resources being redirected from much needed gameplay loop features in the PU to help get SQ 42 out.

Everything is beautiful, but a more meaningful comment on the state of things would be much preferred. It doesn't have to be huge, if we could just get an idea of whether or not the 3 month delay announced in July will suffice, or whether the Squadron will need more time.

CIG spent Citizen Con delivering a message that the depth of gameplay needs to match the fidelity of the visuals. Leading into the new year i hope you stick to that, and would love to have some information as to what we can expect to see in Squadron, and when at least ballpark we can expect to see it. At this moment people think it's coming at the end of next year, and I'd prefer this didn't become another one of those way optimistic timelines that people trot out to rub it in the faces of your dedicated community.”

There’s a few of these sorts even in the most rhapsodic of crowds. Their sensible requests will be ignored as they always are.

The important thing is that the surprise release of new visuals (on Christmas Day no less) has distracted the masses from the depressing message conveyed by the roadmap — that Squadron 42 will NOT be releasing by Summer 2020 (their original claim with the Calder PR tour), nor will the Beta be ready by Summer 2020 (their downgraded target after the buzz from their original one faded.)

With this montage, Chris has primed them for the least surprising bad news in the history of CIG, “Squadron 42 will be late (again).” The montage is the spoon full of sugar to help the medicine go down, and having swallowed it, they’ll be getting their medicine soon enough. Methinks a good time for that would be early in the new year. A special Chris Roberts cameo on Inside Star Citizen, or perhaps a guest appearance on a new RTV (if Chris has the guts.)

It’ll be a “good news bad news” thing, as it always is, with Chris harkening back to the teaser often. Talking about SSOCS, or how Planet Tech 5.0 is critical for Squadron, or some other plausible sounding excuse for why a game originally due in 2014 and promised most years since now needs yet more time to get “just right.”

Maybe new consoles will get invoked as a new goalpost. Maybe new investments will get discussed “because we only get one chance to do this right.”

Whatever the particulars, it’ll just be yet another hostage negotiation with the Stockholm Syndrome Society. He won’t be negotiating for a release, he’ll be negotiating for a delay, and like the helpless wussies they are, the majority will only too happily accede to Chris’s pleadings. In so doing, he’ll be arming his loyal zealots with the cudgels they’ll need to beat back the whiners when new Roadmaps telegraph yet more delays.

(Well, that’s what I think is gonna happen anyway.)

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

G0RF posted:

So...

Chris tossed out that Squadron 42 visuals hodgepodge for one reason only. He did it to change the Squadron 42 narrative that he himself created with their catastrophic 2019 roadmap.

The citizenry, unsurprisingly, reacted in ecstasy. Many of the same would’ve been grousing about things only a couple of weeks ago. Reddit threads about Squadron have been full of these sorts of lines for months.

“Why won’t they tell us anything?”

With the hodgepodge, Chris told them exactly nothing except that he’d recently seen a Marvel movie. Even so, the hodgepodge was a top 50 YouTube trender with nearly 400k views so far. Chris is surely happy to see these sorts of comments in reply:

Yes, machine learning... (You’re the machine, bro, learning to get excited by the “augmented reality” that everything is great in Squadron land.)

Alas, there are realists in the mix, too:

There’s a few of these sorts even in the most rhapsodic of crowds. Their sensible requests will be ignored as they always are.

The important thing is that the surprise release of new visuals (on Christmas Day no less) has distracted the masses from the depressing message conveyed by the roadmap — that Squadron 42 will NOT be releasing by Summer 2020 (their original claim with the Calder PR tour), nor will the Beta be ready by Summer 2020 (their downgraded target after the buzz from their original one faded.)

With this montage, Chris has primed them for the least surprising bad news in the history of CIG, “Squadron 42 will be late (again).” The montage is the spoon full of sugar to help the medicine go down, and having swallowed it, they’ll be getting their medicine soon enough. Methinks a good time for that would be early in the new year. A special Chris Roberts cameo on Inside Star Citizen, or perhaps a guest appearance on a new RTV (if Chris has the guts.)

It’ll be a “good news bad news” thing, as it always is, with Chris harkening back to the teaser often. Talking about SSOCS, or how Planet Tech 5.0 is critical for Squadron, or some other plausible sounding excuse for why a game originally due in 2014 and promised most years since now needs yet more time to get “just right.”

Maybe new consoles will get invoked as a new goalpost. Maybe new investments will get discussed “because we only get one chance to do this right.”

Whatever the particulars, it’ll just be yet another hostage negotiation with the Stockholm Syndrome Society. He won’t be negotiating for a release, he’ll be negotiating for a delay, and like the helpless wussies they are, the majority will only too happily accede to Chris’s pleadings. In so doing, he’ll be arming his loyal zealots with the cudgels they’ll need to beat back the whiners when new Roadmaps telegraph yet more delays.

(Well, that’s what I think is gonna happen anyway.)

Hey, remember when we used to joke about a 2020-2024 release date and the spergs would lose their absolute poo poo?

Yeah. Good times.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Elderbean posted:

I don't mind cinematics. There's obviously the MGS 4 Death Stranding Exception where it's a goddamn feature-length movie, but in general I'm happy to take a break and sip my drink while stuff happens. I absolutely prefer them to the popular modern alternative. Those moments where they lock you into a slow walking animation and your interaction is limited to pressing forward, sometimes to follow an NPC, while the game tries its best to make you look at the canned scene that's playing out somewhere on screen. See the intro town walkthrough in The Last of Us or... basically all of Red Dead Redemption 2. That poo poo is as much gameplay as SC is a space sim.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mailer posted:

I don't mind cinematics. There's obviously the MGS 4 Death Stranding Exception where it's a goddamn feature-length movie, but in general I'm happy to take a break and sip my drink while stuff happens. I absolutely prefer them to the popular modern alternative. Those moments where they lock you into a slow walking animation and your interaction is limited to pressing forward, sometimes to follow an NPC, while the game tries its best to make you look at the canned scene that's playing out somewhere on screen. See the intro town walkthrough in The Last of Us or... basically all of Red Dead Redemption 2. That poo poo is as much gameplay as SC is a space sim.

I'd also rather have a cutscene than a quicktime event.

I'd also prefer not to have my control taken away than either of those, regardless of how "cinematic" they are. I'm playing a loving game, not watching a movie. But if you're gonna give me cutscenes come hell or high water, let me sit back and watch them without occasionally tossing bullshit prompts my way to give the illusion of involvement. Dragon's Lair got old about 15 minutes after it hit arcades.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

quote:

In line with your goalpost shift, it's true that initial dates changed due to scope creep, but this is scope creep that the backers were polled on and overwhelmingly voted in favor of.

???
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13971-Letter-From-The-Chairman-47-Million

"Speaking of stretch goals, last time around we put their future up to a vote. 54% of Citizens voted that we should continue to offer goals, and we’re going to honor that choice."

It is amazing how they change the narrative and truth. Chris Roberts is a liar, so the SC White Knights have no reason NOT to lie as well.
It is the essence of all Joe Blobers, Cymelion etc posting etc.
Ignoring reality, defending a dream and pretending that the POS PTU with 42 fps and janky broken animations is state of the art like we have 2014 again, and just pretend SQ42 is well on track.
Exactly, that SQ42, that we only got "videos" and "trailers" of. I would love to see a playable demo/slice/part, spoilerfree, just as a PROOF they have developed ANYTHING on a Mass Effect level from a decade ago.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:
Lets be fair though - Bethesda/Zenimax would give Todd Howard's left and right nuts to have access to the StarEngine CIG is using to make Star Citizen for their games like Elder Scrolls - Fallout and Starfield.

"Good news, everyone! We're finally getting a new engine! No more Gamebryo!" *finger on monkey's paw curls down*

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

A Fuckwit on Frontier Forums posted:

I just popped back into this thread to see the reaction based on the incredible progress in the latest patch. The opinions seem unchanged and pretty irrational. It's human nature. Once they invest so much in a position nothing is likely to change their minds.

The progress has been slow but it does seem to be picking up speed. There's plenty to criticize but it's hard to deny that it's done things on a scale we've never seen before.

I own the game but haven't installed it in years. I don't have time for non-VR games but when this gets a bit more stable I might give it a try.

The quintessential Citizer.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Grubby Hobo posted:

Wow. I wonder if my life would be happier if I were that easy to please.

Just test the Idriss in a free swim week. Once the happyness is implemented, even the tier 0 will make you feels good.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Paladinus posted:

Hey! Was just wondering, how much will it cost me to buy a Christmas-themed hat in the game?

There is no game.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Mr.PayDay posted:

???
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13971-Letter-From-The-Chairman-47-Million

"Speaking of stretch goals, last time around we put their future up to a vote. 54% of Citizens voted that we should continue to offer goals, and we’re going to honor that choice."

It is amazing how they change the narrative and truth. Chris Roberts is a liar, so the SC White Knights have no reason NOT to lie as well.
Ignoring reality, defending a dream and pretending that the POS PTU with 42 fps and janky broken animations is state of the art like we have 2014 again, and just pretend SQ42 is well on track.
Exactly, that SQ42, that we only got "videos" and "trailers" of. I would love to see a playable demo/slice/part, spoilerfree, just as a PROOF they have developed ANYTHING on a Mass Effect level from a decade ago.

This whole "but the citizens wanted the scope creep!" in itself is laughable.
You don't ask idiotslaymans how to build a car, don't you? "Do you want your car to be able to fly and swim? We will also put tank tracks on it to make it more offroad capable. All of this comes without drawback. Do you want this?" "Yes of course!".

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

precision posted:

See, this is why I really hope the game comes out. I'm sure it's comedy gold

I want to see some of sandi's ig scenes before ELE come to fruition. That will be my wish for next year.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

With Ben's commentaries.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

quote:

hopefully CRs physics rework will sort it all out.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
[SQ42] Bug - Every Time I Change Gear, My Gun Gets Bigger

bigger

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Big Head Mode? No, Big Gun Mode!

Other game devs could learn a lot from CIG. They're including easter eggs that the rest of the industry hasn't even conceived of yet.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I can't wait until some form of squadron 42 is released and every citizen tries to convince themselves that actually they love escort missions or whatever old bullshit mission design that undoubtedly is the foundation of whatever they will end up releasing.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I think Planescape Torment or some similar game had rat enemies that got smarter and more dangerous (to the point of casting spells?) the more there were in the same small area. I guess Citizens become dumber and/or more crazy the more of them there are in the same online forum?
Edit: old backers who woke up and left not included, of course

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Bofast posted:

I think Planescape Torment or some similar game had rat enemies that got smarter and more dangerous (to the point of casting spells?) the more there were in the same small area. I guess Citizens become dumber and/or more crazy the more of them there are in the same online forum?
Edit: old backers who woke up and left not included, of course
yes, it's called echo chamber

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr.PayDay posted:

???

Remember when CR said increasing the scope wouldn't delay release?

Good times.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
SQ54 teaser analysis in full flow...

Anyone else notice the Vanduul are T-posed at 1:34?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Elderbean posted:

I no longer have the link, but there was a fascinating blog about a developer who worked for Active Worlds, a virtual world that predated Second Life. Investors wanted to create a virtual mall in this primitive 3D chat program and they had no idea what the limitations on the average user were. They looked at pre-rendered footage of virtual lobbies and assumed users would be able to navigate them in real time, walk into virtual stores, grab digital items off of shelves, place them in their simulated carts, and walk to the next store. They were so focused on making a SIMULATION it never occurred to them that

A. It wasn't possible.
B. It ignored all the advantages of online shopping entirely.

It reminded me so much of Star Citizen. Stupid goals, SIMULATIONS, and lots of money.

Here's the link: https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=35440

It's a nice read.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why is the 1080p version of the trailer actually 800p?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Mailer posted:

Interestingly this is also how people are currently "seeing" Cyberpunk. Granted, Cyberpunk will probably exist at some point but the absolutely ludicrous expectations people have for it are borderline with Star Citizen.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
:lol: what’s going on now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHSZQ7yXD3w

3.8 seems to have broken entity scale or something. Full vid here: TINY STAR CITIZEN!!!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

star citizen non-apologists truly are oppressed :(

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

This is how they punch above their weight, nothing to see here.

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 27, 2019

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Pixelate posted:

3.8 seems to have broken entity scale or something. Full vid here: TINY STAR CITIZEN!!!

The types of errors they keep getting blow me away.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Pixelate posted:

:swoon:

The full vid is worth zipping around in. Tiny Citizen wandering through the plants is :sandance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Agony Aunt posted:

Remember when CR said increasing the scope wouldn't delay release?

Good times.

He said it would speed things up.
I love everything about this game, I desperately want it to release and watch the meltdowns as 4/10 after 4/10 review comes in.
That'll be the real pay off to me, when the Angry Joes and Jim Sterlings and all the other unwashed twats of the internet have open season on the thing,