Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Some people will scoff at the the idea that the code was influenced by DC to help crush competition but uh

Reality disagrees, they absolutely jumped at the chance to help clean up comics and in the process kill everything that outsold capes

IIRC something similar happened in France where the local comics scene was wiped out overnight by censorship laws.

steinrokkan posted:

Eliminating comics is an example why censorship is good.

said censorship wiped out everything except cape comics as you know them today. Especially everything that was aimed at women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm fairly certain that the reason why certain people are so opposed to M4A heralding the end of private insurance (besides being private insurance executives), and why it's so damned important for them to bring up that private insurance still exists even in countries with UHC, is that private insurance in countries with UHC allows them to skip lines and get special treatment, as long as they pay enough.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

said censorship wiped out everything except cape comics as you know them today. Especially everything that was aimed at women.

Much like Pandora's box, we shut down censorship at the time when it was needed the most.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tulip posted:

DMV and USPS are the best customer service I've experienced in my life, the way rich fucks talk about it is baffling.

There's this weird thing among the privatized medicine camp where they talk about the poor customer service of public services but people regularly die because their healthcare provider gives them the run around for 6 months for life saving treatment.

Boomers think the world is identical to what they remember from 1991. If you had a bad experience in the 70s while waiting for a license, boy are you going to rage about it for the next 50 years and let it guide your every policy choice.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm fairly certain that the reason why certain people are so opposed to M4A heralding the end of private insurance (besides being private insurance executives), and why it's so damned important for them to bring up that private insurance still exists even in countries with UHC, is that private insurance in countries with UHC allows them to skip lines and get special treatment, as long as they pay enough.

Remember when that British prince formed babby and their papers announced how their fancy luxury hospital delivery room that included gourmet meals and champagne cost like $10k a night

You know, like how much hospitals charge here for everyone giving birth

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/DrEdPowell/status/1212622645214273536

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/VABVOX/status/1212754341666402304

I agree with the first post but the second combined with the profile picture is :yum:

thicc_waluigi has issued a correction as of 17:34 on Jan 2, 2020

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Real heads watched the star wars holiday special, all this other poo poo is irrelevant

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Real Star Wars fans have memorized the scripts of the Ewok films

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Atrocious Joe posted:

Real Star Wars fans have memorized the scripts of the Ewok films

wicket fit

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

DMV and USPS are the best customer service I've experienced in my life, the way rich fucks talk about it is baffling.

There's this weird thing among the privatized medicine camp where they talk about the poor customer service of public services but people regularly die because their healthcare provider gives them the run around for 6 months for life saving treatment.

The legal requirements of the dmv mean you have to be there in person to do signatures and stuff, where you can just toss your secretary at whatever computer problem they have and berate them when it takes them all afternoon to get it fixed after you spilled coffee on it during your mid morning work jerkoff session.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

very low-key showing of the poster's medal, I see

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I've literally never had to wait more than an hour at the DMV so I'll never understand the weird trope of it being this nightmarish eternal limbo.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OpenSourceBurger posted:

I've literally never had to wait more than an hour at the DMV so I'll never understand the weird trope of it being this nightmarish eternal limbo.

I had been in the dmv for two hours when "grab her by the pussy" dropped, posted about it from there for another two.

I believe I posted "I can't believe the gop is loving dead"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thicc_waluigi posted:

https://twitter.com/VABVOX/status/1212754341666402304

I agree with the first post but the second combined with the profile picture is :yum:

the problem with the first post is that the majority of Trump voters in 2016 were women and people of color

it’s an empty phrase that doesn’t mean poo poo

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Baby boomers do this thing were they keep telling the same joke over and over long after it has gone stale and irrelevant. The dmv used to be know for being slow and lovely back in like the 80s and 90s. There was an episode of Rocko's modern life that cracked fun at this and Marge Simpson's sisters work at the dmv and are shown being deliberately slow to piss of the customers. Anyway, boomers are still making this joke in 2020.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Baby boomers do this thing were they keep telling the same joke over and over long after it has gone stale and irrelevant.

the irony of making this statement on this website

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
not in america but possibly relevant is my experience with our dmv equivalent has been really poor out in the middle of nowhere but really good in urban centers

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1212712955902603264

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

What the gently caress

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC something similar happened in France where the local comics scene was wiped out overnight by censorship laws.

The thing is, censorship didn't wipe out the field on its own, the other half was dc buying up anyone who was competition. There was a period where Fawcetts Captain Marvel (Shazam for the heathens) outsold Superman by a lot

DC hired Otto Binder, the primary writer, and told him to do all the things people had liked with Captain Marvel but with Superman. That's where you start seeing the weird poo poo and the Superman family and such

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I showed this to my partner and they stared into the middle distance like your grandpa talking about the war

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

Taintrunner posted:

the problem with the first post is that the majority of Trump voters in 2016 were women and people of color

Good point I guess both takes from that lady suck poo poo

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

thicc_waluigi posted:

Good point I guess both takes from that lady suck poo poo

Also the idea that young women and POC arent with biden kinda ignores that the older ones arent with anybody BUT biden.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Taintrunner posted:

This is interesting. How so?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is interesting. How so?

I think the idea is that if you take Trump voter exit polls, break down the demographics, start with the women, and then add non‐white men and hispanic men, it constitutes a majority.

Or, in other words, white men don’t outnumber all his other supporters combined.

I didn’t check the arithmetic on it, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/behind-trumps-victory-divisions-by-race-gender-education/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It blows my mind that 30% of hispanic votes were cast for Trump.

At least some of those people have probably died in detention camps and seen their elderly mothers dragged away by the gestapo by now.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
If you add all the women who voted for Trump to all the non-white men you get a slight majority, but it's much more honest to say "yeah white women still overwhelmingly vote for Trump" than it is to suggest he has a substantial non-white base. His voters were still just shy of 90% white.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
More 👏 women 👏 supporting 👏 leftist 👏 candidates. 👏

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/1171465998471327747

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

if it's the '20s, it must be time for Prohibition discourse: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/03/women-alcohol-drink-culture-prohibition-temperance

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

For the exact same reasons! Framing prohibition as religious puritanism is a mostly patriachal construct. Women didn't want to be beat, raped and abused by drunk men, and didn't trust men to learn how to handle their booze. While there were certainly religious groups that attached themselves, prohibition was a women's issue for a large number of its supporters.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I love articles that present an insane premise, in this case banning sales of alcohol to men and serve women only, and never commit to it fully, instead just kinda going "Yeah i mean thats crazy but like....maybe not?"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/pnyoungblood/status/1212992353868419072?s=20

Oz is cheating but this is a Jake Tapper retweet too

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

gradenko_2000 posted:

If markets are so great, why has the housing market not managed to solve homelessness?

thats not its goal

coathat posted:

Converting to as many religions as possible once president to ensure a historical legacy would be a sick strat

very Roman

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tulip posted:

rich people hate the dmv because they have to interact with poor people and wait a fair turn

Taintrunner posted:

this one goes some places

wheres the lie

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

got any sevens posted:

rich people hate the dmv because they have to interact with poor people and wait a fair turn

wheres the lie

1) Blaming the Jewish victims for being part of an anti-Black power structure.
2) Ignoring the history of Black anti-semitism in the US, ranging from Jesse Jackson's Hymietown comments to the outright eliminationist rhetoric of Farrakhan.
3) Criticizing as anti-semitic calling violence against Jews anti-semitic.

Hope that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also infantilizing black people into being unable to have any sort of responsibility