Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Arbor looks nice, but I don't anyone that's actually ridden them.

Good all mountain bindings
Flux TM (my daily driver)
Union Atlas or Strata
Burton Genesis/Malavita/Cartel
Rome 390 Boss
Nitro Teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

Oh hey, 3rd time out this season and broken fibula. Good times.

That sucks, get well soon!

A ski patroler got buried in a slide on Pika's Traverse on Whistler the other day. The avy danger is so high. Apparently people are ducking the boundary all over the place so patrol isn't opening a whole bunch of the easy groomers in the alpine since they're worried about people dying in the closed areas if they give them easier access.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

First time posting in here this season I think.

Killington this weekend!!!! Any goons there?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

regulargonzalez posted:

Oh hey, 3rd time out this season and broken fibula. Good times.

Sorry to hear it. Get well soon!

Odd place for a break (although I managed to do it myself playing soccer with no impact on the bone), I'm assuming its at the top of the boot?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bilirubin posted:

Sorry to hear it. Get well soon!

Odd place for a break (although I managed to do it myself playing soccer with no impact on the bone), I'm assuming its at the top of the boot?

Right at the top of the fibula actually, like an inch below the knee. My binding did release but I think a little too late and I definitely felt my knee twist in a bad way on impact.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Remember when you guys told me that people would just sit down in the middle of runs, and I was like :wtc: and didn’t believe you because there’s no way that happens here in CO?

I can’t stop thinking about the entirety of this video.

https://youtu.be/ES4129d6feQ

Also what on earth is a safety patrol? Is this a Vail Resorts thing?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
That video is causing a huge uproar on our local Facebook group here.

Vail resorts have "family friendly" ski runs. Flat groomed greens. You go slow and avoid getting anywhere close to anyone when you are on them. That's schoolmarm, 3.5 miles of super mellow groomed trail.

At keystone you gotta cut across one to get to the terrain parks of you park/start from River Run base area.

Mountain safety (yellow jackets) enforce going slow on those runs mostly.

This is that guys ideal situation because websites are posting about his video now. I've seen his car around town before. Awesome FJ cruiser but covered in obnoxious stickers for his brand/YouTube channel.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Quote not edit.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moey posted:

That video is causing a huge uproar on our local Facebook group here.

Vail resorts have "family friendly" ski runs. Flat groomed greens. You go slow and avoid getting anywhere close to anyone when you are on them. That's schoolmarm, 3.5 miles of super mellow groomed trail.

At keystone you gotta cut across one to get to the terrain parks of you park/start from River Run base area.

Mountain safety (yellow jackets) enforce going slow on those runs mostly.

This is that guys ideal situation because websites are posting about his video now. I've seen his car around town before. Awesome FJ cruiser but covered in obnoxious stickers for his brand/YouTube channel.

Yup. The entire thing is a giant publicity stunt by the guy. Basically trying to "not do something wrong" but do "something just enough" to get a chat. It is all bull.

And really to get too the park you should just take a run down Frenchman to Peru. You can't get into the big park from the gondola anyways.

People acting surprised that the yellow guys are on that run and will tell people to slow down is the stupidest thing ever. A local knows where the yellow guys are and knows to slow down. Honestly if you are going super fast in most those places you are a giant dick, even more so in the holidays.

I was at keystone this day riding with my 6 and 7 year old nephews. Be did part of schoolmarm and they said to drop into a blue since it was crazy crowded.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I don't see any reason why those guys should have been stopped.

"You can't bomb a green run" is an absolutely bullshit statement. Of course you can bomb a green run and it's fun to do as long as you're in control and aren't aggressively buzzing other people. Those guys are clearly good enough to be in control at high speeds (and they weren't even really speeding here) and they certainly weren't really getting close to other people except the one guy when they came out of a small jump.

The only reason to stop a group like that would be if they were harassing or disrespecting other guests by spraying them or constantly getting too close or generally just being completely reckless. Anything less is just ignoring actual problems to annoy people that know what they're doing.

My buddy apparently gets some of the same type of thing where he'll get told to slow down and then he whips a 180 and skis backwards to see what the patrol guy said and then patrol guy sees that and just waves him away.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I actually really like the slow speed, give people space family areas. There are plenty of runs to just haul rear end down if that is what people want to do, so it doesn't seem like dedicating one run to a family would be a big hardship. The trail map has it pretty clearly noted. I imagine if it is like Park City, they probably have a lot of proper signage as well.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If you jump anywhere on schoolmarm they are going to tell at you. It is super well known.

Bombing down schoolmarm is a poo poo thing to do. There are a ton of beginners that randomly fall, stop, turn suddenly, etc. On a weekend it is the absolute worst.

They were not doing anything "wrong" but they were doing everything to push it on the easiest beginner run at keystone. It was all a publicity stunt by the guy anyways.

You can hate Vail resorts for it but there is a ton of signs saying it is a slow zone. It is not like the yellow guys are hiding in the trees like a cop.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have a problem with slow areas, but slow is kind of a relative term. I don't really think they were going to fast, but even if they were, they were still respecting the other people on the hill and they were staying to the sides which would keep them out of the way of most people.

Edit - i admit that I don't know that run or resort at all, so i'm just basing my opinion on what I could actually see.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

I love slow greens because a lot of the time there are little humps on the side where you can carve in and drop turn like you’re surfing without getting in anyone’s way

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

That's just snowboarder discrimination I tell ya what :bahgawd:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I will admit the first time I went to a Vail resort I thought it was odd that they had folks in yellow jackets that were like Ski Police or whatever. I had just assumed that it would be ski patrol, like most places I had been to. In fact, I would not have known at all, except I rode a chairlift up with one of the folks and found out that way.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Regardless of whatever this guy did or didn’t do, posting a 25 minute YouTube video :qq:ing about it makes me annoyed with him alone.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Are there different hotspots around the country where the Skiing/Snowboarding beef is super intense? I normally ride the local three in PA, and out there it’s treated as a joke, kinda like the weather conditions, but at Mount Snow in VT this week I’ve never experienced so much hostility from skiers for just existing. When I was riding it was mostly fine - I’m guessing they see me doing constant head checks and being courteous - but the amount of times I was smacked with poles in passing, heckled for being a snowboarder, or cut off and jabbed at the lift line was almost constant. I’ve yet to go out west, but folks we’re telling me it’s mostly just a New England thing aside from Alta/Snowbird

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Macnult posted:

Are there different hotspots around the country where the Skiing/Snowboarding beef is super intense? I normally ride the local three in PA, and out there it’s treated as a joke, kinda like the weather conditions, but at Mount Snow in VT this week I’ve never experienced so much hostility from skiers for just existing. When I was riding it was mostly fine - I’m guessing they see me doing constant head checks and being courteous - but the amount of times I was smacked with poles in passing, heckled for being a snowboarder, or cut off and jabbed at the lift line was almost constant. I’ve yet to go out west, but folks we’re telling me it’s mostly just a New England thing aside from Alta/Snowbird

Generally never see stuff like that. What a bunch of garbage people.

highme
May 25, 2001

There's still skiing/snowboarding beef?

There a couple of ezloungin posters who really hate ski companies making snowboards, but that's all I ever experience any more. On Hood if you rip you rip, doesn't what you're on (except nobody cares that you tele). Riding with skiers has the added bonus that they can see things a bit different and it's fun to try those lines.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Huh, that's just silly. Moderate speed, giving plenty of space to other people and well in control.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Macnult posted:

That sounds like a bunch of complete assholes. I have not seen any behaviour like that in Oregon or Park City. If I saw someone ride by and hit someone with their ski pole that would really stand out to me the areas I have been.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Mount Snow was always really crowded every time I've been there but never experienced any of that behavior. Mad River Glen is a skier only mountain near Sugarbush, and there's still a good amount of skiers around that area that want to keep a place just for themselves, but there's never any real hostility, besides passive aggressive bumper stickers..

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ski only resorts are dumb and I only ski.

highme
May 25, 2001

I will say that if you're an idiot skier who walks around with skis on their shoulders not paying attention to your surroundings I will smack that poo poo off your shoulder if you get anywhere near my head.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Regardless of how you feel about the dude and whether or not you think he should or shouldn't have been allowed to ride that way on that slope, the hosed up thing about the video is where the Yellow Jacket stops the dude, and then stops his friends, and then points at some completely random other boarder and is like "oh yeah you too buddy you're all going down for this poo poo" event though he's just some guy, and then that boarder ignores him and he's just like "ok gently caress it you can go." Now you might say "well of course he realized that boarder wasn't with them and doesn't need a talking to so it makes sense that he lets him go" but then you realize he didn't actually see anybody do anything really wrong, he just wanted to be a dick and pull over anyone he thought he could give a talking to regardless of whether or not they were truly guilty of something. He almost pulls over a completely random novice just to power trip.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 10, 2020

highme
May 25, 2001

Oh my

https://thegorgeismygym.com/friday-five-to-seven-feet-for-the-mountains-and-some-real-winter-for-the-lowlands/

quote:

Hopefully giant snowstorms are your thing, because that’s all that’s going to happen on Mt. Hood through Sunday night (with the brief exception of a short period of mixed precip Friday). By the end of the weekend, Mt. Hood should add five to seven feet of new snow. For reals. If you are heading to the ski areas or over the passes, please throw a shovel in the car. You will need it to extricate yourself from the parking lot when you are done having fun. I am serious about this.
For Friday, the day starts snowy, likely switches to mixed precip briefly between 10am and 2pm, and turns back to heavy snow and blizzard conditions overnight. The snow level will be 500-1000′ early, 5500′ late morning, 4000′ in the afternoon, and will fall to 2500′ overnight. About 0.7” water value (WV) falls during the day, for 3-5” of snow with a period of mixed precip or very wet snow. About 1.5” WV falls overnight, for 12-16” of new. Wind will be W 40 in the morning, SW 30-40 (60 above treeline) midday, W 55 in the evening (affecting lift ops) and W 45 after midnight.

Blizzard conditions continues all day on Saturday. The snow level will be 2500′ early, 1000′ in the afternoon, and 1000′ overnight. It’s going to be a heck of a powder day. About 1.7” WV falls during the day for 16-20” of fluffy (but wind-affected) powder. Another 0.9” WV falls overnight, for 9-11” of pow-pow. Wind will be W 45 early, WNW 50 (affecting lifts, for sure) mid-morning, WNW 45 in the afternoon, and W 35 after midnight.

The fun continues on Sunday! Snow level: 1000′ early, 3000′ mid-morning, 1500′ in the afternoon, slowly falling to 0-500′ (depending on location) overnight. As of right now, the GFS calls for 2.0” WV during the day, for a ridiculous 24” of new snow. Another 0.7” is forecast overnight. That’s 6-8” more. Wind: W 35 early, WSW 25 mid-morning, WNW 50 early afternoon on through the evening, affecting lifts.

The freezing level / snow level drops down to the surface on Monday with mountain temps in the teens. Light snowfall continues along with strong west wind. One more reminder: take a shovel with you if you are going to the mountain any time between Friday night and sunday night.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Elysium posted:

Regardless of how you feel about the dude and whether or not you think he should or shouldn't have been allowed to ride that way on that slope, the hosed up thing about the video is where the Yellow Jacket stops the dude, and then stops his friends, and then points at some completely random other boarder and is like "oh yeah you too buddy you're all going down for this poo poo" event though he's just some guy, and then that boarder ignores him and he's just like "ok gently caress it you can go." Now you might say "well of course he realized that boarder wasn't with them and doesn't need a talking to so it makes sense that he lets him go" but then you realize he didn't actually see anybody do anything really wrong, he just wanted to be a dick and pull over anyone he thought he could give a talking to regardless of whether or not they were truly guilty of something. He almost pulls over a completely random novice just to power trip.

Nah, that guy is just working with the information that he's got. It's the 2 others that are lying through their teeth. (Girl and the old dude)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Posting about snow. That is what I like.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

spwrozek posted:

Posting about snow. That is what I like.

Informer
A licky boom boom down

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Regardless of whatever this guy did or didn’t do, posting a 25 minute YouTube video :qq:ing about it makes me annoyed with him alone.

Yeah. He seems kind of insufferable.

Re: beef. I will give snowboarders I know tons of poo poo for chuckles. But just lol at people who have actual strong opinions about The Right Way To Have Fun sliding on snow.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

spwrozek posted:

Generally never see stuff like that. What a bunch of garbage people.

I try to keep the peace and not feed into it. It's hard to not talk poo poo when Speed Demon Jerry cuts into me, riding Elan Elements and rocking an 80 flex boot while acting like he owns the mountain, but it seemed like a lot of people up there were on edge. Not just on the slopes, but at restaurants and stores too. My friend and I chalked it up to it being college week, but to deal with that much hostility out of nowhere was pretty disappointing.

Think I just need to make like Tom Waits and go out west where they appreciate me.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My experience in New England has been mostly unpleasant regardless of time of year, so it might be a cultural thing. Although I thought Vermont was supposed to be full of relaxed and chill people.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I thought the ski/snowboard beef died when snowboarders won and turned skis into skinny snowboards

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My experience in New England has been mostly unpleasant regardless of time of year, so it might be a cultural thing. Although I thought Vermont was supposed to be full of relaxed and chill people.

Vermont is 1/4 chill people, 1/4 farmers, 1/4 rich dicks, 1/4 weird druggies

Varg fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 10, 2020

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I just had two of the best GS runs of my life at this race series.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

Way to go

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Way to go

Thanks!

It was a good sign yesterday when first run I skied like total trash and yet my times were still basically around what my best-ever run times used to be. Then second run I did way better, and today I crushed it both runs.

Not too shabby seeing as I had two days on GS skis this winter thanks to Whistler's awful start LOL.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

HookShot posted:

Congrats!

We have our first kids race of the season tomorrow. I sat down and did my SafeSport (how to spot a molester) training yesterday. I upgraded my USSA membership to official (Course Official) which requires a background check and SafeSport certification. We had Super G training for the kids scheduled for Sunday but the weather and course aren't cooperating.

Also, I never see any beef between skiers and snowboarders in New England or the mid Atlantic. Mostly I see people upset with people vaping/smoking in lift lines, people upset that the race team has closed the course for races, people upset with external bluetooth speakers, people upset with shitfaced rider/skiers, but never just because of what they are riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Goodness.