Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
circular, this logic is. war crimes, i must commit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

zoux posted:

Like, wasn't there a story that Lucas wanted to name a guy Darth Icky and had to be talked down from it

well sorta

Sublime genius filmmaker poo poo y'all
GL absolutely treating that game with the dignity it deserves.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
reminder that obi-wan is from the planet Stewjon because george lucas said so on the daily show

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

prequels sucked because lucas panicked and dropped darth jar jar instead of seeing it through

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Jazerus posted:

prequels sucked because lucas panicked and dropped darth jar jar instead of seeing it through

jar jar wasn''t a sith lord, he was just a useful idiot that ended up helping palpatine rise to power like everyone else. he's a parallel to anakin as someone palpatine guides and manipulates to achieve his aims, just within the senate rather than the jedi. (he's also a super obvious parallel to anakin in episode 1, which is why they both 'accidentally' help win the battle on naboo)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

ungulateman posted:

jar jar wasn''t a sith lord

Well yeah, because Lucas chickened out.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ungulateman posted:

jar jar wasn''t a sith lord, he was just a useful idiot that ended up helping palpatine rise to power like everyone else. he's a parallel to anakin as someone palpatine guides and manipulates to achieve his aims, just within the senate rather than the jedi. (he's also a super obvious parallel to anakin in episode 1, which is why they both 'accidentally' help win the battle on naboo)

he was tho. there's a darth jar jar sized hole in episode 2 a mile wide

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ungulateman posted:

reminder that obi-wan is from the planet Stewjon because george lucas said so on the daily show

Better than most star wars names

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

whenever he's not on screen, every other character should be asking "where's Jar Jar?"

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Saint Drogo posted:

GL absolutely treating that game with the dignity it deserves.

This, but also “Darth Insanius” isn’t any worse than anything that’s already in the series

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

A room full of Star Wars nerds gaping in abject horror that Lucas would dare suggest adding “Darth Insanius” to a series with Darth Sidious, Darth Tyrannus, and General Grievous

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zoux posted:

HE WAS 900 YEARS OLD

So y'all will defend the Special Editions with the same vigor I assume

The Republic was around for thousands and thousands of years. Yoda was a peacetime general who sat around teaching padawans for centuries, then went and sought glory (and got chumped) the first chance he got.

E: holy poo poo didn’t realize this thread was already 13 pages. The prequels are still the most interesting thing about this franchise.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 24, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The special editions added a sound effect for when a Stormtrooper hits his head on the top of a door in A New Hope, and I think that makes them valid.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

the movie with a 'darth jar jar sized hole' is episode 3, where they cut the scene where palpatine takes jar jar aside after declaring the rise of the galactic empire and thanks him for all his hard work, saying he couldn't have done it without his support, and jar jar looks confused and dejected because all he ever wanted was for the republic to prosper and padme to be happy...

for contrast, the main cut jar jar scene in episode 2 is part of the opening where he speaks in perfectly crisp coruscanti dialogue then complains about how stuffy and awful 'diplodialect' is before switching back to his normal speech patterns. that scene would also have been rad as hell

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good the opposite of bad

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

A room full of Star Wars nerds gaping in abject horror that Lucas would dare suggest adding “Darth Insanius” to a series with Darth Sidious, Darth Tyrannus, and General Grievous

Those were also very bad names.

"Count Dooku" is still probably the worst though. Poor Christopher Lee.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't know what to say if dumb on the nose names is something you can't stand in Star Wars.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Majorian posted:

its kinda cool that christopher lee and peter cushing were apparently close friends

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

its kinda cool that christopher lee and peter cushing were apparently close friends

They were in a ton of cheesy old horror movies together. Horror of Dracula was the only one I saw but it was good fun

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I didn't enjoy the prequels but it is kind of weird to see the bad faith criticism they get. Like a whole page of posts in this thread alone about how it's bad that the clones in the Clone Wars fought for the Republic. That's something that made you hate these movies?! Are you kidding me?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea everyone, slave armies are good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How did they decide which clones got to be officers and such

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

Chance Cubes

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

Disney somehow managed to produce five Star Wars films more incoherently scripted than the prequels with no original designs.

I’m impressed.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

U Wings are actually kinda cool

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Saturnalia posted:

Disney somehow managed to produce five Star Wars films more incoherently scripted than the prequels with no original designs.

I’m impressed.

Actually 4 of them are good.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

It is, yeah, they did a lot of old movies back in the day. The Dracula movie they did together isn't half bad. (not amazing, but it's fun)

Roth posted:

I don't know what to say if dumb on the nose names is something you can't stand in Star Wars.

There are dumb, on-the-nose names, and then there are dumb, on-the-nose names. "Han Solo" is dumb but fun and tolerable. "Count Dooku," for a Christopher Lee villain, is elder abuse.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

zoux posted:

they're clones but they are their own individual persons, so some would rise in ranks over others

the clone wars show was also good about showing how the clones would each carve out their own individuality in different ways

rebels paints a pretty bleak picture for them as they're all pretty much discarded once the war is over and they're all kind of hobos with the built in rapid aging meaning they're probably all dead once the OT is over

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

they must really hate awful names like han solo, and darth vader and leia organa and i mean luke S? are you kidding me?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Elfgames posted:

they must really hate awful names like han solo, and darth vader and leia organa and i mean luke S? are you kidding me?

I, too, think that "Darth Vader" and "Darth Insanius” are comparable in terms of stupid names.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

I, too, think that "Darth Vader" and "Darth Insanius” are comparable in terms of stupid names.

they absolutely loving are, one is just more nostalgic.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

they're clones but they are their own individual persons, so some would rise in ranks over others

the clone wars show was also good about showing how the clones would each carve out their own individuality in different ways

rebels paints a pretty bleak picture for them as they're all pretty much discarded once the war is over and they're all kind of hobos with the built in rapid aging meaning they're probably all dead once the OT is over

Clone Wars had a lot of strong points and I'd argue that the characterization of the clones is one of the strongest strong points.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Majorian posted:

It is, yeah, they did a lot of old movies back in the day. The Dracula movie they did together isn't half bad. (not amazing, but it's fun)

They did at least three Dracula movies together; Dracula (aka Horror of Dracula), Dracula AD 1972, and Satanic Rites of Dracula.

In one of these Dracula dies by walking into a bush. They are extremely good.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

I never got why the Empire stopped using clones, I guess I had always assumed that the cloning facilities on Kamino were destroyed at some point during the war but the Darth Vader comic (which I believe is canon, for whatever that’s worth) has a clone trooper wonder aloud what’s going to become of them now that the Emperor’s shut down the facilities. Being able to churn out expendable genetically-engineered troops with no connection to the people you’re trying to oppress seems like it would be pretty handy for an evil galactic empire.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

i wish darth insanius was a real character, darth icky can hang out in back

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHCyDxxXog4

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I never got why the Empire stopped using clones, I guess I had always assumed that the cloning facilities on Kamino were destroyed at some point during the war but the Darth Vader comic (which I believe is canon, for whatever that’s worth) has a clone trooper wonder aloud what’s going to become of them now that the Emperor’s shut down the facilities. Being able to churn out expendable genetically-engineered troops with no connection to the people you’re trying to oppress seems like it would be pretty handy for an evil galactic empire.

Conscription is cheaper.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Majorian posted:

I wouldn't complain, he was Baron Shitballs in an earlier draft of the script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean I'm pretty confidant that Christopher Lee knew exactly what he was signing up for when he was asked to play a space dracula and sword fight a muppet. It's really only Star Wars fans that think any part of it has ever been high art, Alec Guinness had been trying to talk children out of being SW fanatics since the late 70s for all the good it did. I doubt Lee was like "if only I had been asked to be in the good childrens space movies :smith:"