Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Tl;dr: if I wanna marry my boyfriend I gotta move to his home country, but I don’t like it and don’t feel safe here. Don’t want to break up. What are my options?
I guess the only solution is to perpetually date this guy and never marry.

I [25M] read my current GF's [23F] diary and saw that I was the 7th guy she has slept with but there is another guys name in the 8th spot.

quote:

Background: We've been dating for a little over 2 years. Every thing is really good, I had a few months of me being an rear end in a top hat for no reason (see older post in this sub if you want) but I've been able to control myself pretty well since then. My family loves her, her family feels the same about me. Even after 2 years, shes on my mind all the time everyday. I literally still get giddy before she comes over or we go hang-out. She is just a really kind person and beautiful to boot....

Yes, I am a nosey rear end in a top hat. I just read my gf's diary last week. She leaves it out next to the bed and curiosity got the best of me after 2 years. :( She left early for work one day and I just decided to do it against what my conscious was telling me

So she dates all her entries and I wanted to see her thoughts of me when we first started dating. I find it and start reading just after I asked her on a date. She and this other guy "Max" had been going to shows and going on dates before she and I got together but they lived hours apart ( i actually already know about him as she told me she dropped him after our first date). In the journal before we started dating it says "i like Max....but not really" with some drawing of a confused-looking emoji face. Then the next line was about our upcoming first date.

Anyways her entries about me couldn't have made me happier. She talked about how excited she was for our first date. Talked about how awesome our next few dates were and how good we got along. But in the middle of all that, there was one line that said "Max, visit him in (insert Max's city here)" After that there were no more entries about him but she talked about us from there on. She even wrote I was an ideal person for her to marry which made me well up.

Then one page had a list of guys she has slept with. Don't know why she decided to make this but she did. And there i was, 7th out of 8 people with "Max" being the 8th. I knew of her older bf's so the order was definitely chronological. So i thought about it and I realized that the night after we had sex for the first time, I went on a trip to Africa for 3 weeks and I remembered that she went to the same town "Max" lives while i was gone to go to a one-day music festival.

So yesterday I brought it up. I didnt tell her I read her diary, instead I told her something had been bothering me. She asked what, and I told her that I had always been concerned about her trip to "Max's" city while I was in Africa and asked her if she had possibly seen him or slept with him while I was gone. She got really defensive (for good reason) and said no to everything.

Then I asked her if she had ever slept with "Max" (which I already know the answer too) and she starts denying that. I push harder and she eventually says, "Well he tried". I asked her again if it was during us dating and she denied it but seemed a little shakey at this point. It really seemed like she was holding something back. Some friends came over, we stopped talking about it and I never really got her explanation of what "well he tried" meant. Now its been 3 days and I am too afraid to bring it up again because I dont want to lose her over a dumb fight from the past but I still realllllly want to know.

Clearly she chose me over him, even if she did sleep with him after me. That should make me more confident in us that she slept with him while we were in our infancy of the relationship and came right back to me and even wrote that she could she me as someone she would marry.

I feel guilty about reading her diary and I dont know if I should tell her I did that or just never bring it up again. Do you think she slept with that guy after we had started dating? Should I finish our conversation about it? Should I confess to her I read her diary once?

Please help me out...

TL;DR- Read current gf's diary, saw her chronological list of guys she has slept with. I am #7 out of 8. I asked her about this 8th guy without telling her I read her diary and she never really gave me a straight answer. Our conversation was interrupted and I'm not sure if I should continue it

quote:

UPDATE: So after reading whatever one has told me, I decided that I had to tell her that I was snooping because I was feeling extremely guilty plus I wanted to get the truth from her. Right after I told her she just had a solemn look on her face and just went quiet, laid on her bed, and said nothing.

I let her sit in silence as I knew she was processing what I told her. Eventually she started talking...She really had nothing to say other than she doesnt understand why I snoop. She knows I love her, want her to be happy and want to spend my life with her but she doesnt understand why I would snoop. My last two serious relationships before her ended terribly. I have been cheated on twice. And she knows that, so when she says shes confused as to why I snoop I dont even know what to say. But of course I tell her its because I think I have low confidence in relationships because of what happened in my last two. And she says she understands that but that she is different than them so she shouldnt mistreated for what the other girls did to me. So then I ask her if she slept with Max as he is on her list....

Well, she still denies that she slept with Max and she says the list isn't in chronological order. A lot of people were asking if the list had a title. It did not. And honestly I still am not even sure if the list is a list of guys shes slept with. It really does look like that to me but I haven't actually heard her say that and I feel like I missed my opportunity to ask....

I honestly wish I just buried it and never brought it up. It was so young in our relationship that it is a forgivable mistake. Not the same as someone cheating after years of being together. Now shes angry with me and really sad. Many of you gave me this advice and I didn't heed it....I really wish I did.

She asked me to leave her place and said we would talk some time. I sent her a text this morning apologizing and telling her despite me snooping twice in our relationship its still evident I want her to be happy, I treat her very kindly, and that I do trust her.

She hasn't responded. I'm at work, in the bathroom writing this and letting a few tears out. gently caress me

UPDATE TL;DR- I told her I read the diary. She still denies she slept with Max. The title of the list is still unclear but most likely is a list of people she slept with. Shes now mad at me and seems like she might break it off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Me [19F] with my roommate [20F] of 6 months, threw out my personal belongings while I was on medical leave. What do I do?

quote:

Hi reddit! I don't really know where to begin so I'm just going to jump right into it; apologies in advance for any grammatical errors as I'm feeling very scattered right now. I'm an international student and a sophomore (second year) at a large private university in the US and am paying for on-campus housing. Without going in to too much detail, I have a few chronic health conditions that contribute to my anxiety and depression and as they worsen they intensify the anxiety and depression along with it. For the sake of this post, I'll call my roommate Katherine.

Katherine and I shared a room for all of fall semester and the first month of spring semester. We never got along very well and she would sometimes treat me poorly (making fun of me, throwing her trash on my side of the room, etc) but it wasn't a major issue and something I assumed was normal with some pairs of roommates. At the beginning of February this year, my health got worse and I decided to take medical leave. Medical leave meant that I dropped all my classes but still had my on-campus housing contract and was receiving treatment from doctors both at the student health centre and off-campus. However, because of my anxiety and my health in general, I no longer felt comfortable sharing a room and decided to rent a small single room off campus. I still maintained my room on-campus (the room I share with Katherine) even though I spent most nights at my single room. I left a good amount my belongings in the shared room on-campus because the room had already been paid for in my tuition and was non-refundable and I thought some of my things would be safer in our very security conscious dorms. My single room was temporary and also too small to fit everything so I just took the essentials there. I know now that this was stupid, but that room was still technically being used and paid for by me, and I have to emphasize that I cleared this with my RA and the housing director before I decided to do so. I informed Katherine that this was my plan, and let her know that I intend to come back to the room every few weeks to study or pick up things or see my friends etc. To be clear, none of my things were Katherine's way or eyeline at all; everything was in drawers or in the closet or kept out of sight under my bed.

Cut to today, where I went to my shared on-campus room for the first time in three weeks to finally pack up all of my belongings and sign out of the dorm. I entered the room and most of my things were gone. The closet was empty and there was nothing under the bed, the only thing that remained was 2 small drawers of stationery and empty notepads. My first thought was that my RA decided to give the room to someone else. I spoke to her and she says that they did no such thing and they have no idea where my stuff could have gone as access to each room is by keycard that no one else has. I messaged Katherine on Facebook and I asked her if she knew what had happened to my things. She messaged back asking that she doesn't touch my stuff and asked me why I couldn't just buy more things to replace whatever had gone missing. I told her that I don't have the money to replace my things and many things simply couldn't be replaced. She seemed frazzled and kept asking me why I needed my things and what exactly had gone missing and insisting she didn't notice the very obvious disappearance of my belongings from our room. I told her to let me know if she finds out what could have happened and left it at that.

Two hours later she messaged me telling me that she needed to talk to me and it was very important. She said she feels terrible and that she needs to tell me the truth right now. She told me that one of our suitemates had asked her why she was "such a bitch" to me (in reference to the way she used to treat me sometimes). Katherine said that this made her think that I was bitching about her to my other suitemates and our mutual friends and she got very angry about this. She said she wasn't thinking rationally and she "really didn't want to" but she decided to throw out most all of my belongings. This included a laundry hamper full of clothes, more than five pairs of shoes, all my textbooks of the previous semester, exercise equipment, important records of my visa status in the US, food sent to me from home, expensive gifts that were presents from my family for my graduation, and things that were very sentimental to me such as a book signed by my role model and my grandmother's old and handwritten recipes. There is more but this is the gist and I'm still kind of processing this and thinking about what is gone. I can't even begin to think about the financial value of everything she threw away, let alone the sentimental. She apologized and asked me to forgive her. I told her that I didn't know what to say and that I appreciate her honesty and I have screenshots of her confession in case I need it in the future.

I don't know where to go from here though. I emailed my RA and I'm going to meet with her tomorrow to see what to do, but I want to know how to handle it from there and what you guys think of the situation and how I should act. I've had thoughts all the way from letting it go to taking it to the police and I'm really not sure how far I should go with this. I don't want her academic career to be threatened by this, but I do want some kind of justice or reimbursement. At the same time, I almost feel bad for her which sounds crazy but I am so confused and I don't know how to feel at all. How do I deal with this? I'd really appreciate any input.

TL;DR; My roommate threw away all of my belongings while I was away on medical leave. How do I deal with this, both with the university and emotionally?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I [25M] had sex with my disabled friend [24F]. It made her happy but I'm feeling guilty.

This guys anxiety over whether or not an adult with physical disabilities can make informed decisions is going to lead to him agonizing over her lack of past sexual experiences.

This will lead to him demanding that they open the relationship and then going full red pill MRA once he learns there is a large, horny contingent of chasers who love people in wheelchairs for all the wrong reasons.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Miss posted:

Me [19F] with my roommate [20F] of 6 months, threw out my personal belongings while I was on medical leave. What do I do?

This is a gut punch. No restitution would ever suffice.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
AITA for hotwiring my own car? My stepdad took the keys.

quote:

Im 18 and I've got a car and I pay for everything. The car itself I got for 100 dollars from a friend who thought it was a junker that couldn't be fixed, but I fixed it up. I pay gas, insurance, which is cheap for my age because I have the most basic coverage and the car is not worth a lot.

It's not super reliable but I only need it to last me till I get to college, I'm going to a city school with buses and subways in the fall.

Working on mechanical and electrical things is my hobby, and I want to study mechanical or electrical engineering in college.

So anyway my step dad is mad at me because I'm dating a girl he doesn't like. I'm a lesbian and I don't think he likes that much either. So he took my keys and said that as long as I live in his house what's mine is his... Which i don't think is legal but he ain't the brightest so he probably actually thinks that

I hotwired the car and I also made it easier to start without the ignition by soldering in a switch and pushbutton under the steering wheel. One switch between the ignition and battery wires and one between the starter motor and battery wires. So to start the car I flip the switch and briefly push the button and to cut the engine I unflip the switch.

It doesn't look any different when the panel covering the wires is in place and I'm not too worried about it getting stolen especially since it's such a beater and who would want it?

But I've been using it and I always take it out when my parents are away. My mom and stepdad both work and spend a lot of time out of the house. Plus they parked the car in a back path of our farmland to put it out of the way so it wasn't visible whether it was there from the house or driveway.

Anyway my stepdad saw it was missing a few days ago. He was furious, saying he had all the keys and accusing me of going through his belongings to get them. I said I didn't, swore up and down i wasn't in his home office ever. I said to go back and look if he didn't believe me.

He did and all the keys were there.

He accused me of stealing them to make a copy and then I admitted that I'd wired the car to start with no keys. It was my drat car and I can take it out if I need.

And he blew up even worse saying I was learning criminal poo poo, believing my girlfriend was the one teaching me this crime poo poo, saying that she was gonna get me in trouble. I said she had no part in it, I am just good with machines.

He said he was taking the car to the junkyard but last night I snuck it out and parked it at my girlfriend's families house. They're good people and were happy to let me park it hidden along this old logging trail in the woods out back of their property.

My stepdad is even madder and I feel like I didn't do anything wrong, he did. It's my car and he can't keep it from me or send it to the dump, that's stealing.

AITA for hotwiring my own car that I paid for because my stepdad wanted to take it away?

Edit to add... My stepdad is a cop and the cops in this town protect each other before anything else. Calling the cops is always gonna make poo poo worse for me because of that

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Miss posted:

So the roommate thought she was being trash talked and threw out OP's things. I'm glad I've never had roommates.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Wife told me that I should evaluate why I don’t have a single close friend/family in life and that it’s impossible for those who know me well to love me.

I (M34) have been married you my wife (F34) for the last 6 years. I’m a type A guy, fiercely competitive and have this compulsive need of being first/correct/winner all the time. I don’t have a good EQ and rarely think about other people’s perspective or feelings. Fortunately for me, I found my soulmate - a woman who loved me in spite of all my flaws and weaknesses. Of late, there have been some differences between us. We are both extremely busy with our professional lives and there is rarely anything to talk about except work or politics. I feel like we don’t communicate like we used to. Anyway, something trivial happened today and my wife accused me of doing something that I had not. I snapped and yelled back at her. To which she said, “You should reflect why you don’t have any loved ones in your life. You make it impossible to love you”. She said this to me today - Feb 14th; Valentine’s Day.

Now it’s not like we have never said things to each other. It happens in all relationships. But this hit me really hard and I’m completely devastated. Not sure what to do or how to react. The truth is, she is right. Not many people like me and I don’t make friends easily. Most of my friends from school or college think that I’m a big snob (because of my professional success). But hearing this from the person I love the most in the world (that too on Valentine’s Day) has completely destroyed me. She knows that I’m insecure about this aspect of my life and she had never mentioned this in 6 years of our marriage. On the contrary, she is extremely popular and well-liked among her friends and family. I just don’t know what to do and I’m totally paralyzed. I just don’t know what to do to be a better person or make friends. I know this whole incident may sound trivial but I’m scared that my wife may not love me anymore and it’s too late for me to make any changes. I am also mad at her for saying something that she knew was going to really hurt me. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

TL;DR: Wife told me on Valentines Day that I should evaluate why I don’t have a single close friend or family and that I make it impossible to love me. I’m devastated and shocked.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

PancakeTransmission posted:

You should have wired it to explode.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Wife told me that I should evaluate why I don’t have a single close friend/family in life and that it’s impossible for those who know me well to love me.

I’m a type A guy, fiercely competitive and have this compulsive need of being first/correct/winner all the time. I don’t have a good EQ and rarely think about other people’s perspective or feelings.

Not many people like me and I don’t make friends easily. Most of my friends from school or college think that I’m a big snob (because of my professional success).

TL;DR: Wife told me on Valentines Day that I should evaluate why I don’t have a single close friend or family and that I make it impossible to love me. I’m devastated and shocked.

What a catch; what's he worried about he's clearly the man of her dreams.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

My [21F] Partner [26M] of 3 years has required me to make a lot of sacrifices for him in the last 6 months, and it is effecting my health and grades. Then found out I have substantial savings while he has none. He is demanding that I hand over money.

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been studying together at university, and while he is studying part time, working part time and engaging heavily in his amateur acting career. While I am studying full time and working part time. We share one subject at uni together. On top of this he is trying to pick up another hobby while looking after his grandfather who is in his final stages in a nursing home. As you can imagine, for the past 6 months he has very little time to cut out of his week to spend with me. None, in fact. I have been fine with this for the most part. I have been driving 45 minutes 3+/- times a week to get to his house so we can steal a few hours together, but he doesn't have time to spare. This is an inconvenience I can live with.

However he has been asking me to do a lot of other things too; He has frustrated me multiple times with demands that I visit his grandfather (Who does not recognise me) for two hours, which turns in to 4.5 hours. Or help him with a family matter, which lasts 5 hours or so. Every time this happens, he promises he will drive me home, and every time he says he doesn't have time anymore and I need to catch the train home (1 hour + walking). I have spoken to him about how this is unfairly effecting me, and he seems to take it on board, but just forgets again the next time he needs something.

After forcing me to spend $600+ on his best friends' destination wedding, the weekend before we both had two major exams due, He demands that we switch our exam times because he didn't spend enough time studying and he needed the extra day. I concede and he squanders his spare day sleeping because he "needed it."

I take my classes very seriously and I feel very hosed over by his demands. I understand that family matters/best friends are important things, but he has eaten in to hours and hours of my study time, and my grades are dropping. Not only that, but it's effecting my emotional health also. I have expressed to him that it is effecting me badly, but he tells me I'm being very unsympathetic and selfish.

What's more is that I have about $10K in savings. He recently became aware of this and has demanded that I help him pay his bills because "we're a team" (He is broke). I helped him with a few, but drew the line after $500 because he is very irresponsible with money and there's only so much I can pour out before it seriously effects me. He is also demanding that I give him access to my bank account because "we are in this together" and he wants to marry me one day so we should "start sharing now"

I don't really know what to do. I want to be a good girlfriend and do what he needs me to do right now, but it's beginning to effect my health. Should I be giving him more money? Am I being selfish with my time and funds? At what point is it reasonable to say no?

tl;dr: Boyfriend is demanding all of my time and money, while making no sacrifices for me.

OP posted:

It wasn't like this for the first two and a half years of the relationship. I was really happy up until this point. I don't understand what happened, or if I just need to be gracious for a while about everything. Surely someone can't be one thing for 2.5 years and totally backflip like this? He tells me all the time that he loves me and appreciates me and wants to marry me...

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Oh my god girl, murder that man

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I [25M] had sex with my disabled friend [24F]. It made her happy but I'm feeling guilty.

I hope Reddit is telling him that disabled people can still consent and if she's happy he has nothing to feel guilty about.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Miss posted:

Oh my god girl, murder that man

:yeah:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for doing the dine and dash?

I went out for Valentine's day with my significant other today. We had a reservation for 7:45. We were seated pretty quickly, but I don't think we got our appetizer until 8:30, and we had to flag down another waiter to get our drinks. At 9:30, we still had not been served our entrees so we walked out. The waitress chased us out and asked if we were going to pay for our food, and we responded by saying that we had waited for nearly two hours, and no, gently caress that. In retrospect, I feel like we should have maybe dropped twenty bucks on the table to cover the watered down drinks they served, but are we the assholes for running out on a check? Literally never did this ever in my life.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

PancakeTransmission posted:

This woman loving owns and I really hope the usual "my house, my rules" dinkuses we get in this thread read this and gently caress off immediately

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

My [21F] Partner [26M] of 3 years has required me to make a lot of sacrifices for him in the last 6 months, and it is effecting my health and grades. Then found out I have substantial savings while he has none. He is demanding that I hand over money.

Dump him, dump him,
dump him in the morning,
dump him in the noontime,
dump him, dump him,
dump him when the sun goes down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RV8KerchW4

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

It sounds like something pretty special happened. Try not to sabotage it with a combination of self doubt and insulting paternalism. She chose you because she wanted you, not because no one else on earth would have her.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

im not sure they're actually reading this thread

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

im not sure they're actually reading this thread

hi, welcome to this thread

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Barudak posted:

Dont hyphenate the kids last name, problem solved.

My ex told me our hypothetical kid would have her family name and that was that.

And I was fine with it and the conversation was over.

Thank Christ and the prophet Muhammad I never had kids with that woman.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

MrQwerty posted:

That sounds like one hell of a foursome, I won't ask which one you blew your load with but good call it wasn't the woman.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I (21F) have to move to my boyfriend’s (23M) country if I want to continue the relationship, but I hate everything about that country.

I get so annoyed when they never specify the country since that’s usually pretty relevant. I figured it was either Japan or China, and found the comments that revealed I was right, it was Japan.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I get so annoyed when they never specify the country since that’s usually pretty relevant. I figured it was either Japan or China, and found the comments that revealed I was right, it was Japan.

Wait, someone who posts on reddit hates Japan?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mill Town posted:

Wait, someone who posts on reddit hates Japan?

Japan is infamous for being lovely to women and especially to foreigners.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for doing the dine and dash?

Lol balls on that server to ask for payment when they haven't even taken their actual order yet. I'd have no problem calling that poo poo out, and I definitely wouldn't feel like an rear end in a top hat about it.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for masturbating in a shared hotel room?

I’m a 23 year old female and I recently went on a business trip. We were paired with other people to share our hotel rooms with and I was paired with a girl named Miriam. Well Miriam dates a guy named Devin in our company and he was also on the business trip with us.

Miriam let me know beforehand that she’s going to be staying with Devin in his hotel room and that I can have our hotel room for myself. I brought my vibrator on the trip because she told me that.

The trip is for one week. Well I masturbated most nights because I have a high sex drive and was going to be away from my boyfriend for that long.

The last night I hear a knock on my door and it’s Miriam looking all disheveled with her suitcases in hand. She told me she and Devin were fighting so she’s staying in our room. I had all my stuff sprawled out since i was staying there by myself, so I started to clean up.

She saw my vibrator in my suitcase as I was putting other things away and began yelling at me about how gross it was that I’d be masturbating in “our” room and how disrespectful I am. She’s been giving me the cold shoulder since and has definitely been talking poo poo to some of our other coworkers.
AITA?

Sounds like Miriam would be much happier sleeping in the hallway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Something also overlooked is shes a freelancer and marrying the person from said country so should they divorce she will find out said country circles the wagons very, very hard for its citizens in such cases.

On the other hand I guess I look like Business O'Verspender so living/working here has been much nicer than my home country.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Something also overlooked is shes a freelancer and marrying the person from said country so should they divorce she will find out said country circles the wagons very, very hard for its citizens in such cases.

On the other hand I guess I look like Business O'Verspender so living/working here has been much nicer than my home country.

Yeah, if she has kids with this guy and they split up, she is never, ever going to see them again.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Lol balls on that server to ask for payment when they haven't even taken their actual order yet.

The post implies that they were waiting for entrees they'd ordered.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

The post implies that they were waiting for entrees they'd ordered.

With Valentine’s Day it was probably a prix fixe menu, they likely ordered as part of the reservation. It also makes it baffling they would have to wait that long, because the kitchen should have been cranking out the 2-3 menu options like clockwork.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Growing up in my town there was girl my sister's age who we weren't real close friends with but we knew for a long time because our parents were interlinked professionally (and they were one of the only other Catholic families in the county).

This girl had been born with some kind of congenital defect in her legs and had a series of corrective surgeries and spent most if her childhood on crutches. I got sent off for school and didn't ever see her from the time we entered high school until after we were done with college.

She didn't need crutches anymore and had grown up into a really beautiful woman who was very amiable. (And wealthy) She had been dating a guy for several years that she met in college and things were looking pretty serious when out of the blue he announced "it's been real fun but I just can't see having kids with a gimp' and bounced.

Anyway OP, don't do that.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

MrQwerty posted:

My ex told me our hypothetical kid would have her family name and that was that.

And I was fine with it and the conversation was over.

My wife wanted our son to have her last name. I didn't care, but I am Hispanic, so I just told her to slap my last name on there second. She went and hyphenated the last name on the birth certificate :negative:

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Lol balls on that server to ask for payment when they haven't even taken their actual order yet. I'd have no problem calling that poo poo out, and I definitely wouldn't feel like an rear end in a top hat about it.

They had their order taken and they conveniently omit if they ever addressed the issue other than to walk out, 1:45 isn’t crazy long for many types of dinner service. They got drinks and apps, which they should have paid for. Calling that poo poo out is definitely acceptable and asking for the manager or likewise might have gotten them discounted or even comped, but these sound like typical reddit confrontational-avoidant types who “didn’t want to cause a fuss”.

In any case late service isn’t an excuse to ditch out on the tab entirely, I’ve been in situations way worse than this and I’ve given a lovely tip and not gone back, but by ditching you’re nearly always the rear end in a top hat. (You’re also liable to pay and could have the police called on you but that’s rarely going to happen unless there are other extenuating circumstances.)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

gently caress Your Website posted:

They had their order taken and they conveniently omit if they ever addressed the issue other than to walk out, 1:45 isn’t crazy long for many types of dinner service. They got drinks and apps, which they should have paid for. Calling that poo poo out is definitely acceptable and asking for the manager or likewise might have gotten them discounted or even comped, but these sound like typical reddit confrontational-avoidant types who “didn’t want to cause a fuss”.

In any case late service isn’t an excuse to ditch out on the tab entirely, I’ve been in situations way worse than this and I’ve given a lovely tip and not gone back, but by ditching you’re nearly always the rear end in a top hat. (You’re also liable to pay and could have the police called on you but that’s rarely going to happen unless there are other extenuating circumstances.)

Or, a better idea, don't eat out at a restaurant on its busiest night of the year.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for making my daughter wear her school uniform after school?

This school semester I have implemented a new rule for my thirteen year old daughter to stay in her school uniform after school. This was due to a couple of problems we had the first semester of school. She would come home and change, and spend maybe an hour changing in and out of different outfits before settling on one, leaving clothes out and unfolded. Then, she would start her homework later than I would have liked, and many times skipped assignments, which I did not realize until we got her final report. Also, she would basically have double the normal amount of laundry due to her changing after school, which she always dragged her feet in doing.

This semester, I told my daughter that she is not allowed to change out of her uniform after school. I expect her to do her homework right when she gets home, still in uniform. She also eats dinner in her uniform and completes her chores. She doesn’t change out of her uniform until after she showers and changes into her sleepwear. This has definitely cut down on laundry, her room is cleaner, and she’s actually been getting all her homework done.

However, my daughter hates this new rule and will constantly ask when she can change. She has gone ahead to change without permission, and while I could have just let it go, I made a point of making her change back into her uniform to instill the rule. Then, she wanted to go out with some friends after school yesterday, and I said she could, and she wanted to change, but I wouldn’t let her as it was a school day and she was already wearing the uniform. One of her friends was also wearing the uniform because she did not have time to go home and change, but the other two girls were not wearing the uniform, and my daughter said she was humiliated wearing hers. AITA?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
One of the infinite reasons I love my wife is that she doesn't give a gently caress about Valentine's day, and if our anniversary slips my mind it's not a big deal either. She's more likely to forget than I am, for that matter.

We don't exchange presents basically ever and she doesn't care for jewelry, only wearing her engagement/wedding ring and simple silver earrings. No makeup or perfume either.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

With Valentine’s Day it was probably a prix fixe menu, they likely ordered as part of the reservation. It also makes it baffling they would have to wait that long, because the kitchen should have been cranking out the 2-3 menu options like clockwork.

Nah. Even a bunch of idiots could get prix fixe out faster than that, kitchen was just probably swamped. Two hours, though, I can't imagine anyone being surprised that diners walk, two hours is a long-rear end turn time for tables anywhere but multiple course fine dining.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Japan is infamous for being lovely to women and especially to foreigners.

I'm guessing that, as a foreign woman with less-than-fluent language skills, her career choices would be limited to teaching English or maybe doing something at a western company with a presence there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for making my daughter wear her school uniform after school?

This school semester I have implemented a new rule for my thirteen year old daughter to stay in her school uniform after school. This was due to a couple of problems we had the first semester of school. She would come home and change, and spend maybe an hour changing in and out of different outfits before settling on one, leaving clothes out and unfolded. Then, she would start her homework later than I would have liked, and many times skipped assignments, which I did not realize until we got her final report. Also, she would basically have double the normal amount of laundry due to her changing after school, which she always dragged her feet in doing.

This semester, I told my daughter that she is not allowed to change out of her uniform after school. I expect her to do her homework right when she gets home, still in uniform. She also eats dinner in her uniform and completes her chores. She doesn’t change out of her uniform until after she showers and changes into her sleepwear. This has definitely cut down on laundry, her room is cleaner, and she’s actually been getting all her homework done.

However, my daughter hates this new rule and will constantly ask when she can change. She has gone ahead to change without permission, and while I could have just let it go, I made a point of making her change back into her uniform to instill the rule. Then, she wanted to go out with some friends after school yesterday, and I said she could, and she wanted to change, but I wouldn’t let her as it was a school day and she was already wearing the uniform. One of her friends was also wearing the uniform because she did not have time to go home and change, but the other two girls were not wearing the uniform, and my daughter said she was humiliated wearing hers. AITA?

How the hell did she let her daughter get to the point of taking an hour deciding on the perfect outfit to just sit at home and do nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Vday isn’t the busiest day of the year, it’s just amateur hour.