Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Number???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I am fairly sure that the shithead scion child of apartheid emerald mines was always insane. grimes probably grew in to it but was always headed down that road

grimes (original name Claire Boucher) has never made the best decisions when choosing boyfriends

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

didnt someone in one of these threads go to high school with her and when they saw what she was up to with elon basically went "yeah, that makes sense"?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

they're rich failkids who learned philosophy from anime. the perfect match!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
grimes is her stage name

also loving lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

She sounds pretty grimy alright seeing as she was apparently a hobo for a while

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
grew up rich in Canada. performative hobo maybe

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my favorite part of that article is the little jab at them where it says they got a copy of Huck Finn but neither of them read it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

my favorite part of that article is the little jab at them where it says they got a copy of Huck Finn but neither of them read it

It’s very art school rich kid of them

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

PokeJoe posted:

well it says they hadn’t read it yet when they got it as a gift, or thats how i read it, which is still shameful but not *as* shameful

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

lol I remember seeing something about that but didn't know it was her

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

well it says they hadn’t read it yet when they got it as a gift, or thats how i read it, which is still shameful but not *as* shameful

that makes no difference, if youre doing the rebellious childlike boat thing on a river and havent read huck finn but have a copy sitting around unread then that's funny.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

PokeJoe posted:

my favorite part has always been that the made it less than 4 miles into the trip and much of it was while under tow

From Mississippi River Boat Ramp to Boom Island Park via St Anthony Pkwy.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/SNS6Boj4BSSfo8S98

there's a system of locks and dams they would have had to navigate that they could have avoided entirely by setting off a few miles south

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
As a proud South African, Elon probably names his colored slaves associates employees after Jim.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
reading that reminds me of moxie marlinspike's laughable sailing attempts out of the sf bay

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

quote:

Calling themselves Veruschka and Zelda Xox,

quote:

Now their vessel, the "Velvet Glove Cast in Iron," is marooned in the Minneapolis impound lot. The chickens were seized by animal control,

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vomik posted:

performative hobo maybe

Smoka??

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Elon :qq: after bigger billionaire buys an EV that's not a Tesla

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/18/tech/elon-musk-bill-gates/index.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i am shocked to discover that the lifelong porsche fan bought a porsche

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

less than three posted:

Elon :qq: after bigger billionaire buys an EV that's not a Tesla

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/18/tech/elon-musk-bill-gates/index.html

https://twitter.com/carkgirl/status/1229568882001764357

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1229570142155268097

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol forever @ elon throwing shade on gates.

hoo boy.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

:psyduck:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

my favorite part has always been that the made it less than 4 miles into the trip and much of it was while under tow

From Mississippi River Boat Ramp to Boom Island Park via St Anthony Pkwy.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/SNS6Boj4BSSfo8S98

there's a system of locks and dams they would have had to navigate that they could have avoided entirely by setting off a few miles south

Yeah, for anyone remotely familiar with how the Mississippi River runs through Minneapolis, they picked the absolute dumbest place to launch. If they had gotten just a bit further downstream they would have had to navigate a series of waterfalls by going through locks and dams. If their lovely motor had failed at the wrong point, they could very easily have gone over one of the larger falls and died.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yeah, for anyone remotely familiar with how the Mississippi River runs through Minneapolis, they picked the absolute dumbest place to launch. If they had gotten just a bit further downstream they would have had to navigate a series of waterfalls by going through locks and dams. If their lovely motor had failed at the wrong point, they could very easily have gone over one of the larger falls and died.

Pretty much. The Mississippi is like the Great Lakes. You can not treat it like your average river.

Ok maybe south of St Louis you can once the Missouri merges in, if I remember right, but there it gets extremely wide.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Pretty much. The Mississippi is like the Great Lakes. You can not treat it like your average river.

Ok maybe south of St Louis you can once the Missouri merges in, if I remember right, but there it gets extremely wide.

You assume they could navigate still water on a clear day

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ambient oatmeal posted:

I assume they can't navigate a road on a clear day. Why do you think she went with Elon?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ambient oatmeal posted:

but in that book that they hadn't actually read but had seen references to on the simpsons, those kids just drifted down the mississippi on a raft!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's dumb but funny and mostly harmless, unless they crash into someone I guess

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I met with a good friend today from university times....

Back in the day I wasn't the only disgruntled student of powertrain engineering obviously but I'm a lazy person and I never really wanted to take it upon me to move abroad and escape the hell of the German auto world that way.

This friend of mine did however and he went to Korea.

I usually say that I do not have a single brand of vehicle I favor, I have brands I completely distrust and I have brands that I accept certain cars from.

There is one brand that I respect in general though and that is hyundai.

I was born to late to drive through the glorious age of Japanese imports that rocked everyone's socks off, but I feel like the Koreans will fill that spot in in my time and part of that is because I get to hear the stories from the people that gave the bigger middle finger to this industry and went off to Korea.

I know that hyundai basically swooped through the ranks of the German manufacturers and gathered a poo poo ton of talent to punch out a sports car division that could rival the M GmbH in its glory days. And those people gladly left here, but I never quite asked about the non sportive stuff going down there.

Here's where I have to apologize to Sagebrush for a moment because I was under the impression that the aging of fuel cells was an essentially unsolvable mechanism like the aging of lithium batteries, with irreversible chemical and physical processes that slowly erode the performance out of the system (be it charge capacity or power)

It turns out I was wrong. Apparently the longevity of the hydrogen fuel cells has been solved and for the newest generation they will grant you 10 years or 160.000 km of warranty.

I am impressed.

Furthermore the powertrain divisions in Korea essentially concluded years ago (and rightfully so) that the BEV is a potato and will never be a worthy long range replacement for the ICE. And all their efforts in those regards are gap fillers to bridge to the hydrogen times (as was the plan in Germany pre insanity gate)

I think the saddest part about the hype up of nickel Rick and his electric Boogaloo is the insane drainage that it puts upon actually promising technologies.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 18, 2020

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

A friend of mine has a Kia Niro, which has the same powertrain as the Hyundai Ioniq. It is an extremely nice car. They make a BEV version of it, but it seems silly when you can get the excellent hybrid or PHEV versions instead.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 18, 2020

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
so has anyone figured out how to recycle the hundreds or thousands of tons of highly flammable lithium ion waste we are adding to the road every year

i tried googling for an answer to that question but most of the documents were about how to control fires in solid waste recycling facilities lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

unpacked robinhood posted:

It's dumb but funny and mostly harmless, unless they crash into someone I guess

its like motorcycles. people say 'you're only hurting yourself if you wreck' but the truth is that a quarter million bucks of emergency services will be dispatched to save your stupid rear end

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

jesus WEP posted:

you smell like a roll of nickels is legit an all time great insult

only thing that should be afraid of u is the buffet

I feel like I know these people. It's like high school all over again.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so has anyone figured out how to recycle the hundreds or thousands of tons of highly flammable lithium ion waste we are adding to the road every year

i tried googling for an answer to that question but most of the documents were about how to control fires in solid waste recycling facilities lol

The ocean, stupid.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's almost as if the issue isn't with the specific fuel source for moving tons of metal around per person

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

iospace posted:

The ocean, stupid.

is that legal though

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lithium waste… on the roads???

Teslas are shoddily built, but I don’t think that vape cells are dropping out of them like horse apples.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Platystemon posted:

Lithium waste… on the roads???

Teslas are shoddily built, but I don’t think that vape cells are dropping out of them like horse apples.

in this example the tesla is the solid waste

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In the cyberpunk future, Teslas will be hunted like stags.

The wounded Tesla slinks off the road, pursued by a pack of baying hound‐drones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Platystemon posted:

In the cyberpunk future, Teslas will be hunted like stags.

The wounded Tesla slinks off the road, pursued by a pack of baying hound‐drones.

add an uncomfortable sex scene and some hero worship (perhaps the car has sex with the hero) and this would be a great stephenson book maybe as long as it ends with the